Beware Bogus Carpet Sellers Your Not Safe In Your Own Home

paulfromphuket

Today around mid day my door bell rang, some guy trying to sell carpets door to door, I dismissed the idea very quickly and thought no more of it and went back to working online in my living room.

Later I discovered a wrist watch 5000baht and a camera 18,000 baht had disappeared from my bedroom which is at the back of the house. I found marks on the 2.5 metre wall so these buggers had robbed me in broad daylight with me at home!

If these people turn up call the police at once and try to keep them around, dark blue pick up with a carry boy.

Does any one want two dogs as Ihave no need for them anymore there cute but bloody useless!

Door-to-door carpet floggers in Thailand?

And you had windows open in unsupervised areas of the house? They must have seen this from a back road or similar?

What about your neighbours - or were you the first and only house they tried in the area (If so, why do you think that would be)?

I have bought a carpet before from a guy that knocked on the door, a thai muslim guy with a green oldish pickup, 2 more offsiders.

Very pushy on selling rugs and claims to be from Phi Phi.

How does that sound?

If it rings a bell, i have his name and phone number and you could call him to arrange to look at carpets and see if it is him.

And you had windows open in unsupervised areas of the house? They must have seen this from a back road or similar?

What about your neighbors - or were you the first and only house they tried in the area (If so, why do you think that would be)?

are you tying to blame me ?

the house has a 2.5 m walled perimeter and cannot be seen from the road.

the neighbors were out.

do you lock yourself in your home?

I have bought a carpet before from a guy that knocked on the door, a thai muslim guy with a green oldish pickup, 2 more offsiders.

Very pushy on selling rugs and claims to be from Phi Phi.

How does that sound?

If it rings a bell, i have his name and phone number and you could call him to arrange to look at carpets and see if it is him.

could be worth a try please pm it me.

Today around mid day my door bell rang, some guy trying to sell carpets door to door, I dismissed the idea very quickly and thought no more of it and went back to working online in my living room.

Later I discovered a wrist watch 5000baht and a camera 18,000 baht had disappeared from my bedroom which is at the back of the house. I found marks on the 2.5 metre wall so these buggers had robbed me in broad daylight with me at home!

If these people turn up call the police at once and try to keep them around, dark blue pick up with a carry boy.

Does any one want two dogs as Ihave no need for them anymore there cute but bloody useless!

"I have no need for them anymore"

why the hel_l did you get them in the first place?

You think you can just throw out two animals when you tire of them ?

What an attitude.

What about your neighbors - or were you the first and only house they tried in the area (If so, why do you think that would be)?

the neighbors were out.

Sorry to hear about your loss, and the following statement isn't intended to make you deel bad or put blame on you.

But it's funny how people feel that a high wall around their house will protect them, when in fact it's a golden invitation for thieves looking break into houses. All that big wall does is to allow the thieves to work away without anyone who is driving or passing by to see what they're doing.

What an attitude.

never heard of irony ass hole!

think your missing the point.

What an attitude.

Some people keep guard dogs not pets..

aww c'mon. I could see what was meant by the dog comment and I'm mr. sensitivity on the doggy front. The scam played was one they used to pull when I was a kid. Gives them a chance to see if anyone's home as well, it is a diversion.

Give the OP a break, he's just trying to warn other people to be aware. I am in a condo rental with prying eyes everywhere so I forget the hassles you free range dwellers have to deal with.

What an attitude.

oh no.............another offended PETA member.

Can you call Pamela Anderson for me? Fill her in, ha, ha.

Some people have no sense of humor..................

Errrrrr Yes.

Had some guys get past "security" at our moo baan........ said no to their offer, and went immediately out to take down their plate #........ boy did they hi tail it out of the moo baan.

Moo bann dispatched the cops to investigate the plate / people....... guess nothing happend :o

What an attitude.

wouldn't that be sarcasm and not irony? :o

some people wouldn't know a joke if it hit them in the face :D

I know I would be really pi$$ed off if that happened to me

What an attitude.

Happened only once to us when a Thai man tried to have a foot on our wall just starting climbing....

post-2733-1238059871_thumb.jpg

the neighbors were out.

You don't?

(I most certainly do; especially in Thailand - and I always rent the same house in a 'secure' estate... You know the secure estates - they're the ones with the guard who leaves the barrier up half the time and ignores anyone who goes through.)

I still find it strange that they targeted you if they did not have cause to believe your window/an access point was open (which you said they could not see).They must have checked the place out to see access was available before they tried the ruse, must they not? Perhaps they only targeted you because yours was the only place that was not secure? Think about it. Your neighbours' homes were not entered because they were out/the houses were secure. In any event, I can't see a mob that prefers to risk up front confrontation/diversion lasting long before being caught.

Edited by Ping

What an attitude.

Happened only once to us when a Thai man tried to have a foot on our wall just starting climbing....

post-2733-1238059871_thumb.jpg

that man was a genius

What an attitude.

Your language indicates your mentality

If you want to make points,make them clearly,not ambiguously.

and it was not in the least bit funny.

Your language indicates your mentality

If you want to make points,make them clearly,not ambiguously.

and it was not in the least bit funny.

Get of my case you pompus nob, I was joking about the dogs but i am looking up Korean recipes.

the point is I am warning you people to take care.

The OP is doing us a favour in tipping us off - thanks for that Paul, and I for one like your sense of humour - pretty obvious it was a joke, I thought anyway - and good you can joke when you must be really p*ssed off.

Thanks for that and well its was only cheap watch and i fancy a new camara anyway.

But its sure a sign of the times and I dont really like the idea of making my self a prisoner in my own home.

Dogs are cute heres one of them.

post-67315-1238062919_thumb.jpg

I had a run in with one of those carpet sellers about a year ago ( in Rawai ). I was inside the house and I could hear someone hollering outside. As I walked out to see what was what, I could see this fella walking up the drive towards me, hands outstretched holding what was suppose to be a rug (more like something you see on a pikey market back home). As he was approaching me he was asking me to buy his rug, special pwice. I smiled and politely refused, and still he kept walking, my smile gone now and I refused again. We were eventually standing in front of my door and he was blatently checking out inside. I lost my rag and told him to <deleted> off and get off my property. He backed down and I marched him off my land. I was then confronted by a pick up with the carryboy topped up with a few carpets and about four of his lemmings. I didnt show fear - at the same time didnt want to have a scrap with these carpet boys on my drive.

They were all yakking away in Thai and as they drove off one of his boys pulled his thumb across his neck in a slitting motion. This wound me up even more than the guy coming on my property. Who the hel_l were these people to come to my house like this.

Sorry to hear they stole some of your property. Maybe you should ask Thaigerd when his next litter is?

Choppy

They were all yakking away in Thai and as they drove off one of his boys pulled his thumb across his neck in a slitting motion. This wound me up even more than the guy coming on my property. Who the hel_l were these people to come to my house like this.

Choppy

The Famous Thai throat slit motion. I kind of think they must be miming their own demise.

Thanks to Paul the OP for the info/advice :o

Sean

What about your neighbours - or were you the first and only house they tried in the area (If so, why do you think that would be)?

God not another smart arse. The guy is warning people and you come on all Mother Theresa. get a life.

Rick

What an attitude.

it was a obviously a joke. The guy loves his dogs.

Rick