Prem Concerned That Thaksin Says Privy Council Involved In Politics.

clausewitz

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1391...aces-new-threat

The fate of convicted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is expected to be one of the main items today when Privy Council president Prem Tinsulanonda meets with the Chinese foreign minister.

18176.jpg

The meeting is seen as having a heavy bearing given the continuing talks on an extradition treaty between Thailand and Hong Kong and Thaksin's mounting efforts to discredit the Privy Council.

Mr Yang will visit Gen Prem at the Privy Council's Office after he meets Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva as part of his two-day visit.

Sources said the meeting between Gen Prem and Mr Yang would underline the need for immediate action to deal with Thaksin, who recently launched a broadside against privy councillors. The meeting will also take place against the backdrop of talks on an extradition treaty between Thailand and Hong Kong.

FYI - I can't see the word "outraged" in the original post, or the article it's linked to.

In reality, the words "mildly irritated", or perhaps even "bored to tears with this < expletive >" would probably suffice.

FYI - I can't see the word "outraged" in the original post, or the article it's linked to.

In reality, the words "mildly irritated", or perhaps even "bored to tears with this < expletive >" would probably suffice.

Indeed the title of the thread is misleading. "Concerned" was the word used in the article. Maybe the title could be changed to better reflect accuracy.

Indeed the title of the thread is misleading. "Concerned" was the word used in the article. Maybe the title could be changed to better reflect accuracy.

ironically, invloved in politics pretty much describes Prem as accurately as possible.

Agreed - topic titled edited.

If Prem and the council aren't involved in politics, then why are they meddling in this sitution?

Even the poorest and least educated Thais can now see very clearly through this masquerade.

The "elites" are not fooling anyone anymore, but only making fool of themselves.

If they are up to eyeballs in politics, how come it can't be seen anywhere?

If you removed your yellow blindfolds, I'm sure even <snip> you could

see

Edited by Jai Dee
Flame deleted.

see

haha. good response.

every man and his dog knows prem has been meddling in politics.

If Prem and the council aren't involved in politics, then why are they meddling in this sitution?

How are they meddling?

Planning and executing a military coup was one good example.

(Link here)

Probably justly deserved.

Edited by Artisi

see

haha. good response.

every man and his dog knows prem has been meddling in politics.

Are you saying that Plus is neither man nor dog ? :o

How are they meddling?

(Link here)

So, you are taking the word of a convicted criminal who is on the run from the law and using Wikipedia that says that some think that because P.C. Gen. Prem was silent on the coup that he supported it as your main proof?

Perhaps you should re-think your position?

He had the opportunity to go down in history as Thailands Lee Kwan Yu, shame he p1ssed it away through greed.

What a wasted opportunity for both his ego and for Thailand as a whole.

I would think all politicians and statesmen are greedy, corrupted egomaniacs and neighter thaksin nor prem are exeption.

certainly they both did come to power not by the democratic means, but by behind the door political conspiracies.

the difference is that thaksin used the parliament with vote buying and controll of the mass media and prem the network of the old money feudalists controlling the army and police.

this process for fight for power within the ruling class won't stop by shutting thaksin, extradition and imprisonment - there are deeper processes within the thai society now, which can't be stopped or manipulated as easily, as in the past. With internet and other communication means the broad population do have access to unbiased sources of information and are able to make their own opinions and judgements. People start to think by themselves and openly talk about their rights.

somehow I don't think china is going to act more than maintaining status quo in thailand, because deepening political turmoil into haos won't serve anybody

Edited by londonthai

That allegedly happened three years ago.

Any more recent examples of up to eyeball meddling? During the latest censure debate, for example, when political games were played in full swing.

What kind of glasses do I need to wear to see these examples?

Although Thaksin was corrupt, the country is totally corrupt. Almost all Thai companies are political and corrupt, even the building management teams of condos. Even my marketing officer when I want to buy or sell Thai stocks. It's a corrupt Thai society. It's also a police state. Anyone with "power" pay the police to do arrest enemies.

Thaksin was, therefore, a true representative of Thai society. Don't for a moment think that Sonthi isn't? He screwed the banks, and wanted Thaksin to give him Channel 11...

Thaksin like the PAD has figured out that you can take control of Thailand with a relatively small group of people. The military and police lack real control because they're used to being corrupt all the time and in capable of a real job at hand. PAD shook up Thailand with about 20.000 people and the Reds look like they could do the same, if they've got enough brains behind them. Should the army do anything, it will make it worse. Check mate.

If any one in Thailand could be called a statesman it would be Prem Tinsulanonda

it was prem involved very heavily in a political conflict a few years ago http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prem_Tinsulan...s_and_2006_coup

which destabilised the country and put it back tens of years in developing democracy in thailand.

the bigger statesman the bigger b*stard I say and prem is a clear example of this

How are they meddling?

(Link here)

So, you are taking the word of a convicted criminal who is on the run from the law and using Wikipedia that says that some think that because P.C. Gen. Prem was silent on the coup that he supported it as your main proof?

Perhaps you should re-think your position?

here is what Sondhi L. leader of PAD, said about his relation with Prem and Surayud

http://bangkokpundit.blogspot.com/

ASTV Manager has a transcript of what Sondhi L said on the Yam Fao Paendin program in May 2007. Sondhi L in the preceding paragraph to the one excerpted one below is talking about Gen. Surayud and gasoline prices and then states:

สนธิ - ผมผิดหวังมาก เพราะท่านนายกฯ ท่านก็รู้ว่าส่วนหนึ่งของการขับไล่ พ.ต.ท.ทักษิณ ชินวัตร ที่ท่านก็อยู่เบื้องหลังด้วย ยุยงส่งเสริมให้ผมทำหลายเรื่อง ท่านก็รู้ว่า ปตท.เป็นเรื่องนึง

[sondhi: I am very disappointed because the PM [surayud]knows well that part of the the ousting of Thaksin was [the PM] himself [surayud]who was behind it too. [He, Surayud] urged me to do many things.PTT was one of those things]

BP: Prem is out today stating that the Privy Council is not involved in politics.

Then, in a speech in the US in Virginia on August 25, 2007 broadcast on ASTV, Sondhi briefly touches on his relationship with Surayud and the role of the palace:

"It was the first time, we could gather ten thousands of people. Sometimes hundred thousands. So, they were like, the chink [sondhi referring to himself] is kinda great. So, they came to support me. Now, they started.
General Surayud called me.
General Sondhi had his close aide call me. In the palace In the palace, there were many. Many connections. Everyone was close to me. They were close to me as hel_l. (laughter.) So, they started backing our movement. Gen. Saprang was eating with Gen. Sondhi for every meal and telling him to stage a coup.

Prem had his aide call me.
General Chavalit. Everyone called me. .

Prem had his aide call me

That's all for up to eye ball involvement?

At best you can say that Prem gave moral support to PAD movement. So did millions of others.

He didn't have command of the troops, he didn't give any orders.

Millions of people supported the coup, no one even think about accusing them of being up to eyeball in politics.

Of course Prem's opinion mattered a lot more to the coupmakers than Thaivisa posters, but it was their decision to move ahead, not Prem's, from all available evidence.

Again, that was three years ago. From then on, Prem just basically let the things roll, not even accusations of medding in politics.

Reds just need an enemy with a name and a face to vent their anger at.

Lets be honest none of thuis stuffis new. Even those who take no interest in poitics are fully aware of it and have been for ages and have already made their minds upon the issues and gotten back to living their normal life.

All this he said/she said conspiracy stuff is great for poltical pundits, journos, red and yellow adherents and a few of us on TV. However, it is nothing new and isnt going to change anything except closer link Thaksin with the unacceptable, but as increasingly more ordinary people think that anyway.... It all serves to make it harderfor Thaksin to actually do a deal, but then again he may have gone insane anyway. Certainly claiming he couldhave saved the Thai economy when nobody in the whole world really knows what to doabout the economic crisis is not a statement of a reality grounded person. Guess it could have been a polticalthrowaway comment though;)