10,000 Police, Soldiers, Security Officials Deployed To Keep Security At Government House

george

Protesters gather in Bangkok, PM says Asia summit on

BANGKOK, April 8 (Reuters) - Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Wednesday an Asian summit would go ahead as planned in Thailand this week as demonstrators gathered in Bangkok for a mass rally with the objective of toppling him.

Police said that by mid-morning around 30,000 demonstrators were at Government House and Royal Plaza nearby. The organisers, supporters of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted in a military coup in 2006, say 300,000 are expected.

The United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) has besieged Abhisit's office at Government House since March 26. So far there has been no violence but security was tight on Wednesday.

"There's a group of people wanting to create chaos, but the government will do everything to restrain them," Abhisit said in an interview on Channel 3 television.

"If there's rioting, we will have to do something. I can affirm there will be no violence starting from the government's side."

On Tuesday his car was attacked by red-shirted, pro-Thaksin supporters after a cabinet meeting in the resort town of Pattaya, which will also host a summit of the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) and other Asian countries from Friday. Abhisit insisted there was no threat to the summit.

"There won't be anything like what happened with my motorcade ... Every spot will have strict security. As for yesterday's chaos, it's because I wanted to travel normally, without disturbing people," he told the television interviewer.

The ASEAN Summit was delayed from late last year because of a previous bout of political unrest, when a pro-Thaksin government was in power, and Abhisit's administration has billed the event as a sign Thailand was getting back to normal.

The prospect of renewed violence has added to the concerns of the stock market, which was down 0.8 percent at 03:30 GMT and has fallen 2.5 percent this year, in contrast to the incipient recovery seen on many other Asian markets.

"It is going to be a nerve-racking day for the market, and for obvious reasons the prime factor to watch here is the mass rally," said Chakkrit Charoenmethachai, a senior analyst with Far East Securities.

One flashpoint is likely to be the home of Prem Tinsulanonda, chief adviser to King Bhumibol Adulyadej, which is near Government House.

Thaksin has accused Prem, of playing an active role in the 2006 coup that ousted him, an allegation the former army general and prime minister denies.

"I've been told there are people armed with wooden stakes and clubs waiting for us at Prem's home," UDD leader Nattawut Saikeau told the crowd at Government House.

"If we are attacked, the red shirts will fight, but we will hold the government accountable if we have to strike back."

A group of at least 1,000 demonstrators started marching towards the house in mid-morning but came up against police lines and stopped. A Reuters reporter said there was no confrontation and that UDD leaders called for calm.

==================

Note:

Article was written before UDD got through police lines as reported elsewhere.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In another red-shirt movement, 500 red-clad protesters gathered in front of Pattaya police station and demand the release of Wanchalerm Gunsen the suspect of PM car smashing yesterday............The police informed the suspect of the two charges against him -assault and damaging state property- before eventually releasing him without bail...........Reportedly, the protesters were satisfied and got on buses to join the main rally in Bangkok..........http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/toc/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1013592

'before eventually releasing him without bail'

How does that work then? :o

Each night since their current campaign began on March 26, their ranks have swelled into the several tens of thousands through all the roads and alleys surrounding Government House, the focus of their protest.

There's plenty of international and local media reports that completely contradict that individual's wild numbers.

*edit... unless he's including in his count the residents that happen to live on the roads and alleys and the shop workers and the street people and the mailman and...

Edited by sriracha john

Just demonstrate....you can raid government buildings, airports, block intersections, smash PM's car....and nothing ever happens!

If it would not be serious, it would be a good joke.

I am getting so bored now.

How does that work then? :D

Just demonstrate....you can raid government buildings, airports, block intersections, smash PM's car....and nothing ever happens!

The atmosphere is a little tense right now - no point in giving the Pattaya mob a reason to cause trouble, which would undoubtedly happen if they kept the men in jail.

The Police know where they live and will be back to charge them when the situation is calmer.

Side Note : one of them is called "Wanchalerm" - no relation I assume :o

Patrick

Thai police say plot to assassinate royal advisor uncovered

Bangkok - Thai police have arrested three men who they claim were plotting to assassinate an advisor to King Bhumibol Adulyadej at a time of rising political tension in the country, a news report said Wednesday.

The suspects allegedly told investigators that some military officers wanted to create turmoil ahead of Wednesday's mass rally by supporters loyal to fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, the Nation reported.

The supposed target was Chanchai Likhitjittha, a member of the royal Privy Council and former Supreme Court judge who Thaksin claimed was deeply involved in the decision to overthrow him in a September 2006 coup. Chanchai later served as justice minister in the military's post-coup government.

The three men, including the alleged organizer of the plot, an army major, have all confessed, deputy national police chief General Jongrak Chuthanont said.

The would-be gunman, who was apparently hired for 130,000 baht (3,600 dollars) and told the target was an embezzling businessman, was caught casing Chanchai's home on the outskirts of Bangkok.

A mass demonstration by Thaksin's Red-Shirt supporters Wednesday is aimed at shaking up the political scene by targeting royal advisors who the group claims are meddling in politics.

Red Shirt leaders hope at least 100,000 people will gather outside Government House, the cabinet offices, before moving on the nearby home of former prime minister and army commander General Prem Tinsulanonda, the man they claim was the 'mastermind' behind the 2006 coup. Prem currently heads the Privy Council.

News of the alleged plot against the royal advisor was being treated skeptically in some quarters. 'A very convenient plot,' said a Red Shirt organizer, who asked not to be named.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said the authorities would act 'decisively' to protect the monarchy and maintain law and order during the protest but that no state of emergency would be called.

- DPA

Red-shirted set up 3 more stages in Bangkok, waiting for Thaksin video link-up

Leaders of red-shirted groups set up stage at the Royal Plaza, Makkhawan Bridge, and in front of the house of Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda Wednesday.

The protesters are expected to keep on rallying at the four stages, including the one in front of the Government House, waiting for former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to make a video link-up to address them in the evening.

The Nation

How does that work then? :D

The atmosphere is a little tense right now - no point in giving the Pattaya mob a reason to cause trouble, which would undoubtedly happen if they kept the men in jail.

The Police know where they live and will be back to charge them when the situation is calmer.

Side Note : one of them is called "Wanchalerm" - no relation I assume :o

Patrick

no they won't charge them later.....as usual nothing will happen

Red shirts criticise reporters of being bias

Red shirts protesters spitted on a TV channel reporter who said in a live broadcast that tens of thousands of protesters joined the pro-Thaksin mass rally.

The protesters surrounded the reporter and Channel 3's mobile broadcast unit. They said the number of the protesters reached 100,000 already. Some threw water and bottles on the crew team while some criticised the team of being bias and taking side with the government.

Worrying of their safety, the team went to stay in the mobile unit. The protesters demanded that the mobile unit and the team be moved from the area.

Police then intervened and asked the team and other reporters to move from the spot. They agreed but the protesters followed and spitted on them again.

However the protesters followed the reporters and yelled at them. The reporters then took refuge in a temple nearby.

- The Nation

Red shirts criticise reporters of being bias

Echo's of a previous PM...

Obviously ridiculously early to call it, but prolonging the protest for 3 days, family getting out of dodge, whining about the press...

Each night since their current campaign began on March 26, their ranks have swelled into the several tens of thousands through all the roads and alleys surrounding Government House, the focus of their protest.

There's plenty of international and local media reports that completely contradict that individual's wild numbers.

100% agree ( :o:D ) - and I earlier posted to that effect in the article's comment section. A bad lapse in accuracy.

That said, IMO the body of the article offers sound reasoning and a good understanding of the real dynamics of what is going on.

One also wonders why the Post's website editor trailed an article about the need to avoid violence, keep cool head/hearts etc and headlined "Red shirts need restraint and the way forward" as "Ready to rampage" in the contents section - inflammatory, inaccurate and misleading in just three words. After all, it's not as if he/she works for The Nation or TOC.

The protesters surrounded the reporter and Channel 3's mobile broadcast unit. They said the number of the protesters reached 100,000 already. Some threw water and bottles on the crew team while some criticised the team of being bias and taking side with the government.

perhaps best if all journalists (both print and television) avoid the area... if this is what's going to happen for filing consistent and non-contradictory-amongst-the-media reports...

Edited by sriracha john

Im assuming you are writing this on your mobile from the front lines of the protests right?

Otherwise, your complaining comes across rather flat. As funny as it sounds, the only TV redshirt with any real credibility is Koo, who is out there expressing her opinion! You go girl!

Edited by jbowman1993

Red shirts protesters spitted on a TV channel reporter who said in a live broadcast that tens of thousands of protesters joined the pro-Thaksin mass rally.

The protesters surrounded the reporter and Channel 3's mobile broadcast unit. They said the number of the protesters reached 100,000 already. Some threw water and bottles on the crew team

pity the staff at Channel 3.... they always seem to be on the brunt end of political attacks....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Chuwit-Hits-...10.html&hl=

Chuwit Hits Popular News Anchorman Of Channel 3

Commuters are currently advised to avoid travelling on the following roads and locations in the capital; Si Ayutthaya Road, Ratchadamnoen Nok Road, Phitsanulok Road, U-Thong Nai Road, the Royal Plaza and King Rama V Statue compounds due to the ongoing mass rallies of the United Fronts For Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD).

The public can dial 1197 for traffic information.

- ThaiNews / 2009-04-08

Billionaire tycoon Thaksin, who is living in an undisclosed foreign country to avoid a jail term for corruption, said late on Tuesday the protests would mark a "historic day for Thailand''.

From the article cited above. If by historic, he means this -> http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...leaves-Thailand - the day his bullsh*t family joined in in exile, then yes, it is historic. Get out and don't come back!

Soi Dogs End Political Neutrality

Thousands of 'Furry Shirts' march on Government House

BANGKOK –Tens of thousands of soi dogs gathered en masse last night at Government House to voice their frustration with the rigid hierarchical nature of Thai society, dramatically ending a long-standing policy of remaining “below politics.”

Wearing furry coats, they came from every corner of the city, leaving construction sites and underpasses, doorsteps and derelict buildings, vacant lots and temples, to break their silence on Thai affairs.

Continued here - http://www.notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=759

:o

Im assuming you are writing this on your mobile from the front lines of the protests right?

Otherwise, your complaining comes across rather flat. As funny as it sounds, the only TV redshirt with any real credibility is Koo, who is out there expressing her opinion! You go girl!

And jbowman1993 you were sitting at the airport with your fellow PAD brothers and sisters?

If so I say shame on you and also you sow what you reap

I for one hope this movement will not imitate the PAD movement - violence from all sides, blocked airports, economy at a virtual standstill etc etc

Seriously though. So is it 100,000 or just 20,000? The newspapers don't report any numbers.

20,000 - 40,000 amongst all media input I've seen/heard.

I read somewhere a 80.000 a number which comes from the police.

80K sounds probable to me

Commuters are currently advised to avoid travelling on the following roads and locations in the capital; Si Ayutthaya Road, Ratchadamnoen Nok Road, Phitsanulok Road, U-Thong Nai Road, the Royal Plaza and King Rama V Statue compounds due to the ongoing mass rallies of the United Fronts For Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD).

The public can dial 1197 for traffic information.

- ThaiNews / 2009-04-08

How would traffic be around the pin Klao road and ratchadamoen ave.?

And jbowman1993 you were sitting at the airport with your fellow PAD brothers and sisters?

If so I say shame on you and also you sow what you reap

I for one hope this movement will not imitate the PAD movement - violence from all sides, blocked airports, economy at a virtual standstill etc etc

most Thai people I know were at the airport and it was good to do that, else we would have by now a premier Thaksin again.

Economy at standstill is complete nonsense. Even FedEx, DHL, TNT etc worked with a slight delay (I had several shipments). Only it was a major inconvenience for tourists, which is by now already forgotten by the world.

And even a economy standstill for a week would be better than killing more innocent people.

Edit to add: If only people in other countries would do the same, the 1.5 Mill murdered people of the Bush area could have been saved.

Edited by h90

Seriously though. So is it 100,000 or just 20,000? The newspapers don't report any numbers.

20,000 - 40,000 amongst all media input I've seen/heard.

I read somewhere a 80.000 a number which comes from the police.

80K sounds probable to me

I've seen reports attributed to police figures at 40K. Do you remember the source of 80K?

I'm just back from the Government House protest *now*. My best estimates are somewhere between 150,000 and 200,000 people. Residence of Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda totally surrounded and still a very large crowd at Government House. 4,000 people from Udon Thani alone. Every province is represented. I lost count of the number of buses arriving from 4am onwards.

I'll post more later as I need to file story and photos.

Suffice to say this is not a trickle of yellow but a flood of red. Oh, for the cynics, not one person I spoke to said they had been paid or coerced into attending today's rally and my translator and I spoke to more than 200 people.

There's an Op-ed piece written last night here: Thailand on the edge ahead of mass pro-democracy protest

Edited by photojourn

I'm just back from the Government House protest *now*. My best estimates are somewhere between 150,000 and 200,000 people. Residence of Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda totally surrounded and still a very large crowd at Government House. 4,000 people from Udon Thani alone. Every province is represented. I lost count of the number of buses arriving from 4am onwards.

I'll post more later as I need to file story and photos.

Suffice to say this is not a trickle of yellow but a flood of red. Oh, for the cynics, not one person I spoke to said they had been paid or coerced into attending today's rally and my translator and I spoke to more than 200 people.

There's an Op-ed piece written last night here: Thailand on the edge ahead of mass pro-democracy protest

Wow, good post, starting to sound serious

Plot to kill Chanchai confirmed: Patcharawat

National police chief General Patcharawat Wongsuwan on Wednesday confirmed the contract on the life of privy councillor Chanchai Likhitjittha.

Police arrested four suspects, comprising two gunmen, Phanuphong Ratanapaiboon and Sakchai Sae Lim; one procuror of gunmen, Kamit Sukanchanakat and one Army officer to put out the contract, Major Thienchai Mueangchantuek.

The suspects admitted to have attempted to kill Chanchai three times, twice on April 4 and once on April 5, one day before they were detained by the police.

The Nation