10,000 Police, Soldiers, Security Officials Deployed To Keep Security At Government House

george

Suffice to say this is not a trickle of yellow but a flood of red. Oh, for the cynics, not one person I spoke to said they had been paid or coerced into attending today's rally and my translator and I spoke to more than 200 people.
and you believe them, who in their right mind would tell you that they are getting pay, not to smart question to ask if you ask me. :o .

(for the cynics) :D

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thousands of anti-government protesters head to Bangkok

More anti-government protesters from across Thailand are converging on Bangkok as they raise the stakes in their campaign to force the Government to resign.

About 20,000 people are at Government House in central Bangkok, where the United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship group has been holed up for two weeks.

The protesters are loyal to the former convicted prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, who lives in exile but is lobbying hard to force his political enemies out of office.

The red-shirted protesters, or the Red Shirts as they have become locally known, are comprised mostly of the rural poor and city dwellers who still long for the countryside.

For the past two weeks they have been blockading the streets around the Government House building, pushing for the four-month-old government of Abhisit Vejjajiva to step down and call new elections.

The number of protesters is expected to build as the day goes on, with 100,000 people or more likely to join the rally.

Up to 8,500 soldiers and police in are in the area to provide security.

By South East Asia correspondent Karen Percy, ABC (Australia) / 7 minutes ago

How does that work then? :o

Just demonstrate....you can raid government buildings, airports, block intersections, smash PM's car....and nothing ever happens!

If it would not be serious, it would be a good joke.

I am getting so bored now.

Im assuming you are writing this on your mobile from the front lines of the protests right?

Otherwise, your complaining comes across rather flat. As funny as it sounds, the only TV redshirt with any real credibility is Koo, who is out there expressing her opinion! You go girl!

And jbowman1993 you were sitting at the airport with your fellow PAD brothers and sisters?

If so I say shame on you and also you sow what you reap

I for one hope this movement will not imitate the PAD movement - violence from all sides, blocked airports, economy at a virtual standstill etc etc

They say when you assume, you make an ass out of u and me. You are assuming that I support the PAD. But if you had read any of my posts on the subject you would know that I don't. I think red and yellow are both idiots. I support Thailand and its people. I want stability and progress, nothing else. The people I am calling out show no sense of reason or common sense on the issue, they are squarely in the "Red" corner, and do nothing to promote their cause accept to repeat their leader's verbal diarrhea . People squarely in the "yellow" corner are idiots as well, and have heard me call them that as well.

So, don't assume...

Edited by jbowman1993

I don't understand why so many people are still supporting thaksin, he and his government haven't done anything useful in the last 2 years after the coup. The only thing they tried to do was change the laws so thaksin would not have to go to jail.

And before someone makes a comment that thaksin has not been the PM of thailand for the last 2 years (pre-abhisit). It's pretty much like in russia, Medvedev is the president, but Putin runs the country. Now replace Medvedev with Samark or Somchai and Putin with Thaksin and you have the situation in thailand.

The only thing that will happen with thaksin comming back is that he will jail the people he does not like and plunder the state coffers to make back everything that was lost/frozen and he spent on supporting the red shirts.

I'm just back from the Government House protest *now*. My best estimates are somewhere between 150,000 and 200,000 people. Residence of Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda totally surrounded and still a very large crowd at Government House. 4,000 people from Udon Thani alone. Every province is represented. I lost count of the number of buses arriving from 4am onwards.

I'll post more later as I need to file story and photos.

Suffice to say this is not a trickle of yellow but a flood of red. Oh, for the cynics, not one person I spoke to said they had been paid or coerced into attending today's rally and my translator and I spoke to more than 200 people.

There's an Op-ed piece written last night here: Thailand on the edge ahead of mass pro-democracy protest

Thank you for your report from the ground.

As reported in the above article if it is 100,000 or 300,000 - the fact is the country is sadly, very divided.

For those that are still concerned with the numbers.

It is not surprising foreign media will be reporting a far higher number then will be found in media such as The Nation.

Lastly it is very hard to get an accurate number of crowds this large. You would need a fly-over of each area there are protesters just to get an accurate estimate. IMO

I'm just back from the Government House protest *now*. My best estimates are somewhere between 150,000 and 200,000 people. Residence of Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda totally surrounded and still a very large crowd at Government House. 4,000 people from Udon Thani alone. Every province is represented. I lost count of the number of buses arriving from 4am onwards.

There's an Op-ed piece written last night here: Thailand on the edge ahead of mass pro-democracy protest

I am not going to dispute your numbers, but I would say that with all the different numbers floating around, its impossible to take any of them seriously. The reds want 1 million, they said 300,000 will come. The newspapers say 30,000. I would say that most people are pretty bad at judging the size of a crowd visually, from the ground level. Lets see some overhead shots, or any shots for that matter, that show more than small section of crowd.

Edited by jbowman1993

Thank you for your report from the ground.

As reported in the above article if it is 100,000 or 300,000 - the fact is the country is sadly, very divided.

It is not surprising foreign media will be reporting a far higher number then will be found in media such as The Nation.

Lastly it is very hard to get an accurate number of crowds this large. You would need a fly-over of each area there are protesters just to get an accurate estimate. IMO

100,000 out of 60,000,000. I think the division is in the media. It makes good copy, is good for ratings and sells more papers.

Over 40,000 protesters join Bangkok rallies at noon

At noon Wednesday, the number of protesters at the four main rallies sites in Bangkok were estimated to be about 40,000.

Police said the number of protesters was about 35,000 but reporters estimated about 40,000 people joined the rallies at the Government House, Royal Plaza, Makkhawan Bridge and in front the residence of Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda.

But observers believe the number was higher because another huge group of protesters was waiting at Sanam Luang apparently waiting for orders of their leaders to join any of the four main locations.

Source - The Nation http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...rallies-at-noon

Involving and endangering the Privy Council at this level is a good way to wake up the silent majority of Thais. You want to see a protest, that will spark a protest...

Indeed, they are quite literally from committing THE big sin in Thailand.

Ok, so I have been getting SMS from supposedly people deeply entranced in the red group. (I.e. hardcore reds, not spies.)

With stories how clips of Sonthi having 'relations' with a high lady was filmed (and shown, with nudity), how planning of the military + PAD + democrats was filmed [by the 'US' :o ] and shown on the stage and so on...

Is anyone on location or watching the 'red tv' that can verify?

For me the stories sounds too far out there, but they really believe them...so...

Thaksin's family leaves Thailand

TV reports had it that the three children of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra had left Thailand.

Several TV stations that Potjaman Damapong, ex-wife of Thaksin, and his brother-in-law, former Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat had also left the country.

The Nation

Somchai's wife is Yaowapha

Thaksin's sisters join rally at Government House

Two sisters of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra joined the rally in front of the Government House Wednesday afternoon.

Yingluk Shinawatra and Yaowapha Wongsawat were seen on D Station satellite TV of the red-shirted movement sitting in the tent next to the main stage.

The Nation

I've not seen any big difference in the reported numbers from international versus local media.

The only big difference I've seen is between all media and photojourn.

Edited by sriracha john

Over 40,000 protesters join Bangkok rallies at noon

At noon Wednesday, the number of protesters at the four main rallies sites in Bangkok were estimated to be about 40,000.

Police said the number of protesters was about 35,000 but reporters estimated about 40,000 people joined the rallies at the Government House, Royal Plaza, Makkhawan Bridge and in front the residence of Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda.

But observers believe the number was higher because another huge group of protesters was waiting at Sanam Luang apparently waiting for orders of their leaders to join any of the four main locations.

The Nation

TV reports had it that the three children of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra had left Thailand.

Several TV stations that Potjaman Damapong, ex-wife of Thaksin, and his brother-in-law, former Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat had also left the country.

The Nation

Two sisters of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra joined the rally in front of the Government House Wednesday afternoon.

Yingluk Shinawatra and Yaowapha Wongsawat were seen on D Station satellite TV of the red-shirted movement sitting in the tent next to the main stage.

The Nation

Of course this will inspire the masses... as the other bunch of crooks already have left the building and are now on their way to the "fuhrer visit"

Anti-government protesters amass in Thailand

BANGKOK, Thailand (CNN) -- About 50,000 anti-government demonstrators amassed Wednesday in the capital in a push to topple Thailand's prime minister.

Supporters of Thailand's ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra rally in Bangkok on Wednesday. Supporters of Thailand's ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra rally in Bangkok on Wednesday.

The "Red Shirt" protesters -- named for the color of their shirts -- had gathered outside Government House in Bangkok, according to the chief of the Metropolitan Police Bureau. Demonstrations have intensified in recent weeks to destabilize the government of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

The Red Shirt protesters have declared Wednesday their D-Day, claiming they will draw up to 300,000 people from the eastern and northern part of the country. Those regions are a stronghold of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, to whom the Red Shirts owe their allegiance.

Thaksin was deposed from power in a coup in 2006, but still wields considerable clout. A party loyal to him, the People Power Party, assumed office in 2007 elections. Those opposed to Thaksin took to the streets, dressed in yellow shirts and earning the moniker, the "Yellow Shirts." They staged sit-ins for more than two months last year -- occupying the headquarters of the government and blockading Bangkok's major international airport.

The demonstrations ended December 2 when a court ruled the People Power Party was guilty of electoral fraud. The move paved the way for Abhisit to assume the prime ministership. Now, the tables are turned -- with Thaksin supporters demonstrating. They maintain Abhisit's government was not democratically elected. They want him to leave office and schedule new elections

From CNN.com - http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/04/0...ests/index.html

Edited by jbowman1993

Involving and endangering the Privy Council at this level is a good way to wake up the silent majority of Thais. You want to see a protest, that will spark a protest...

Things change. History in the making .

The Nation

The Nation

Of course this will inspire the masses... as the other bunch of crooks already have left the building and are now on their way to the "fuhrer visit"

and poor old Somchai's reputation of being a real milk-toast in the relationship and 'fraidy cat' about things worsens even further...

Seriously though. So is it 100,000 or just 20,000? The newspapers don't report any numbers.

20,000 - 40,000 amongst all media input I've seen/heard.

I read somewhere a 80.000 a number which comes from the police.

80K sounds probable to me

I've seen reports attributed to police figures at 40K. Do you remember the source of 80K?

I just heard on the BBC 80,000. So first of all to those, who asked, if I would say I was wrong about my estimate (20002) ;-), yes I was wrong about those estimated numbers, which goes to show, that Thai Politics and Thai People still surprise me :o

BTW, I just tried to withdraw money, at Gaad Suan Kheow (Central, Chiang Mai) and all the Bangkok Bank International lines where down, for ATM withdrawal. Probalby unrelated, but it might be wise to keep a bit of pocket money on hand for Songkran ;-) (Lots of grumpy foreigners, were standing at the ATM machines. Thai's seemed to have no problems, withdrawing with local ATM cards)

Siam Commercial seemed to work fine.

You really don' t understand Thailand, do you... :o

Pattaya police chief transferred

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 8/04/2009 at 01:59 PM

The superintendent of Pattaya police station, Pol Col Sarayuth Sa-nguanpokai, was on Wednesday transferred to Provincial Police Region 2 headquarters for 30 days after Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's car was attacked as he was leaving Pattaya on Tuesday.

The deputy Commander of Chonburi Provincial Police becomes acting superintendent of Pattaya.

Red-shirt protesters smashed the back window of Mr Abhisit's Land Cruiser and blocked its passage after he left a cabinet meeting in Pattaya. One of the accused assailants, Wanchalerm Kulsen, escaped from Pattaya City police station shortly after being arrested.

Source - http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...ief-transferred

You really don' t understand Thailand, do you... :o

I have lived here for 15 years.

On the contrary I understand all too well what is happening in Thailand.

I dont see much "history" being made to be honest, in fact more de ja vu more than anything else... we were in the same situation last year, excpet it was yellow not red - as they say in Thailand - Same Same, but Different

Shinawatra family left Thailand

Ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's family reportedly left Thailand while the pro-Thaksin United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) staged a mass anti-government rally in Bangkok on Wednesday.

Thaksin's former wife, Potjaman Damapong, and their daughter, Paethongtan, flew to Hong Kong. Another daughter, Pinthongtha, departed to England. Their son, Panthongtae, headed to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

Thaksin's brother-in-law and former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat and his wife, Yaowapha Wongsawat, also left the country

continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...y-left-thailand

I was around during the "Bloody May" and I saw with my own eyes what happened on the streets.

I saw people being shot by their own countrymen.

I do not want this kind of "history in the making" happen again!

Full stop

Shinawatra family left Thailand

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 8/04/2009 at 02:29 PM

Ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's family reportedly left Thailand while the pro-Thaksin United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) staged a mass anti-government rally in Bangkok on Wednesday.

Thaksin's former wife, Khunying Potjaman Damapong, and their daughter, Paethongtan, flew to Hong Kong. Another daughter, Pinthongtha, departed to England. Their son, Panthongtae, headed to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

Thaksin's brother-in-law and former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat and his wife, Yaowapha Wongsawat, also left the country, according to reports.

Source - http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...y-left-thailand

I was around during the "Bloody May" and I saw with my own eyes what happened on the streets.

I saw people being shot by their own countrymen.

I do not want this kind of "history in the making" happen again!

Full stop

I do not want a bloodshed either.

All I'm saying is that once history has taken a certain course, no force, how almighty is may seem to be, can stop it.

Ok, so I have been getting SMS from supposedly people deeply entranced in the red group. (I.e. hardcore reds, not spies.)

With stories how clips of Sonthi having 'relations' with a high lady was filmed (and shown, with nudity), how planning of the military + PAD + democrats was filmed [by the 'US' :o ] and shown on the stage and so on...

Is anyone on location or watching the 'red tv' that can verify?

For me the stories sounds too far out there, but they really believe them...so...

I have no ideas about those stories, TAWP, but what I do know it, that what Newin said yesterday, in the live news conference, was totally twisted and sometimes turned around on the red shirt stage later. My wife and I were watching both and she was disgusted about the way they lied about what Newin was supposed to have said in the interview. I think the Reds just make it up as they go.

Again, the same old thing..."If you tell a lie, tell a big one and more people will believe you"