My Wife Was Sold A Car -

TonySoprano

We shopped around for cars and finally decided to go the local route and found an ad in the newspaper. we paid the gentleman the money and got the car in our names legally. about a week later we have now gotten a call from this man's wife telling us that she did not give her husband permission to sell the car and that she was the one who paid for the car, and that essentially her husband is a cheating low life. We have offered to sell it back to her at the same price but the husband has probably already gambled away the money or will not give it back to her as I understand it.

Should we give the car back to her and eat the loss?

Edited by TonySoprano

NO , DON'T GIVE IT BACK , YOU BOUGHT IT IN GOOD FAITH , ITS THERE PROBLEM TO SORT OUT , IF SHE THINKS HE STOLE IT SHE SHOULD GO TO THE POLICE . ONE OTHER THOUGHT THEY COULD BE TRYING TO SCAM YOU , THEY COULD BE IN IT TOGETHER , THEY CAN BE VERY CONVINCING , DON'T FALL FOR IT .

We shopped around for cars and finally decided to go the local route and found an ad in the newspaper. we paid the gentleman the money and got the car in our names legally. about a week later we have now gotten a call from this man's wife telling us that she did not give her husband permission to sell the car and that she was the one who paid for the car, and that essentially her husband is a cheating low life. We have offered to sell it back to her at the same price but the husband has probably already gambled away the money or will not give it back to her as I understand it.

You say you bought the car legally(got the car in you name legally) so I am guessing the car must have been in his name, in Thailand it can only be in ONE name(like wise in UK) if this is indeed the case the problem is between him and the wife, she need to go after him, having said all that if I were you and there was any further contact from this women I would contact my lawyer. :o:D

Give it back. And a of bit extra money to compensate her for the inconvenience.

How about I send my bank details and you can pay some compensation

to me for wear and tear plus utility costs?

This is most likely a con. Don’t fall for it. Sell it back to her with profit if she really want it back

Crazy world we live in.

Give it back? Eat the loss?

hel_l, you have the car legally. It is yours.

Deffo has scam written all over it.

Check the book for the car and see if it was in her name or his, then you will know if it is iffy in any way.

'We shopped around.' ???

Presumably you have a Thai partner? Get her to look at the name in the book to see if it is male / female, then put your mind at rest if it was in his name, that you are being scammed.

Well, the thing is that we only dealt with the husband, even if it was only in his name. We took his word for it that his wife was also willing to sell the automobile. We never contacted her personally about the issue to recieve her consent.

Well, the thing is that we only dealt with the husband, even if it was only in his name. We took his word for it that his wife was also willing to sell the automobile. We never contacted her personally about the issue to recieve her consent.

Then if was is in his name, you have no worries.

You have a receipt and the book in your name? Then all legal.

Forget her. She is after your money. Any enquiries from police or whoever, let the wife deal with it, but make sure you keep the book and any receipts. Give copies only if they want some paperwork. Never give originals. If you have the paper that carried the advert, keep that as well. All proof of intention to sell.

My guess is she is p*ssed off he sold the car, but that is not your fault. Maybe she needs to take a bigger stick to her husband next time :o

So who's name was the car registration book in? His or hers?

If it was hers, you effectively have bought stolen goods and the car does not legally belong to you.

If it was his, then it's yours 100% no matter if she payed for it or not.

Is the car in your (your wife`s) name now? If yes, you bought it legally. It means it was his to sell. The moral thing is something between the woman who called you and the guy who sold it to you. You are not responsible for another persons morality issues.

Tony, Tony, Tony, you cheeky little folletto. :D

You are aware (you are aren't you?) poor old Heng is currently catching the full blast of moral outrage & indignation from a coterie of disgruntled farang for committing a 'crime' of similar nature.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Time-Throw-T...fe-t252448.html

Will the baying dogs of moral rightousness come to the defence of this wronged Thai housewife?

Or will they remain in their kennels salivating on the victory of farang over Thai?

Aah, the sweet dilemma! :o

Lets say, you did give the car back, and she gave you your money back.... and then the car dies 2 weeks latter....

Are you to blame, it died because you obviously abused the car, yada yada yada

If you give it back, you have stepped down a road that has no end.

Regarding Heng,

He entered the arangement under full disclosure, he new he was getting "a deal" and pulling a fast one on the falanf... which is not the case with the OP of this thread.

Regarding Heng,

He entered the arangement under full disclosure, he new he was getting "a deal" and pulling a fast one on the falanf... which is not the case with the OP of this thread.

Actually that's not correct. Their relationship broke down years after the fact. The property owner didn't even have a non-Thai surname, hence a Thai name was on the chanote, business as usual Although we do have situations where we do have farang-Thai couples who BOTH agree to taking out loans... we follow standard procedure in any situation where a person is married in that they must BOTH show up at the land department to sign the sell by proxy contract, even if both names aren't on the chanote.

We simply are now assuming that this country gal (well, near middle aged woman) likely did not pay for this house herself. But really, that could fit the description of a lot of women after failed marriages anywhere.

And good one on TS for this clearly made up thread, thanks for the laugh. I didn't see the parallel at first. Cheeky indeed, complete with a host of characters chiming in that it's NOT your problem.

:o

Maybe you should just buy her a brand new car to replace the old one!

Give her a call and take her car shopping tomorrow. Be sure to throw in a nice dinner too.

Or maybe if you gave her the car back she'd be willing to sell it to you again.

Are you serious Soprano? There's no moral, ethical or legal issue here. If the car was transferred correctly and is in your name without any emcumbrance of any sort, then the deal is done. Som Nom Na for the lady, she on some level allowed the husband to have access to the vehicle to sell it. Your dilemna to give it back or whatever, just adds to the stereotype of rich stupid farangs who can be emotionally blackmailed to part with their money. If the case was reversed and she or he had taken advantage of you, do you think they would have cared.

And good one on TS for this clearly made up thread, thanks for the laugh. I didn't see the parallel at first. Cheeky indeed, complete with a host of characters chiming in that it's NOT your problem.

:D

Still awaiting the arrival of the usual suspects spitting bile & venom, demanding that Tony hand the car back & apologise for being negligent in the due diligence process. :o

If the Land Transport Dept accepted the transfer then the car must have been in the man's name..........

IT is now yours.

The fight is between the man and his wife, not you.