Thai Premier League...

Jim's_a_Thai_Fox

Hi there,

I'm sure most of you are aware that there is a Thai Premier League, but how many of you footy fans have been to a game???

I went to my first game last week, Nakhon Pathom vs. M150. Even Peter Reid, the national coach, graced us with his presence. Well, being a Leicester City fan and hence relatively unacquainted with attractive football, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the stuff being played (Reidy obviously wasn't, he buggered off after the hour)... there was even a token farang playing (who was the best player on the pitch IMHO!)

Basically, it was good fun - all fairly relaxed, a few beers, a bit of banter with the locals, shouting at the ref etc... all harmless and enjoyed in the spirit of the game... none of the serious BS the game has in England where you are practically stripped searched before entering the ground and run the risk of getting a good shoeing on the way home...

OK, maybe I exaggerate a little, but the essence of the post is "get behind the Thai Premier League" - it's cheap, good fun and well worth the effort.

Anyone else on here a regular?

Cheers

Jim

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

I'm sure most of you are aware that there is a Thai Premier League, but how many of you footy fans have been to a game???

I went to my first game last week, Nakhon Pathom vs. M150. Even Peter Reid, the national coach, graced us with his presence. Well, being a Leicester City fan and hence relatively unacquainted with attractive football, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the stuff being played (Reidy obviously wasn't, he buggered off after the hour)... there was even a token farang playing (who was the best player on the pitch IMHO!)

Basically, it was good fun - all fairly relaxed, a few beers, a bit of banter with the locals, shouting at the ref etc... all harmless and enjoyed in the spirit of the game... none of the serious BS the game has in England where you are practically stripped searched before entering the ground and run the risk of getting a good shoeing on the way home...

OK, maybe I exaggerate a little, but the essence of the post is "get behind the Thai Premier League" - it's cheap, good fun and well worth the effort.

Anyone else on here a regular?

Cheers

Jim

Never been. But would like to get involved in seeing a game.

What was the attendance roughly in numbers (not including the players and the officials) ??

Good to hear, yeah I am a regular. I started going to a few games last year and got into it, crowds are good fun. The attendance depends on the team you see. Basically if you go to a home game of PEA Ayutthaya, Chonburi FC, Muang Thong United, Samut Songkahm there will be a decent atmosphere with few thousand and up to 6000, but just about all the other clubs are improving fast as the league is just starting to take itself seriously and become professional.

This weekend there are no matches as internationals are on, round 4 (of 30) is next weekend.

more info is on

www.thaileague.spaces.live.com and www.thaifootball.com

Hi, good to see this topic. Does anyone know of any games I can see in the Phetchabon area? Don't think there's professional football up here, but I'd like to watch a team on a regular basis.

I'm originally from Middlesbrough, so it'll make a refreshing change to see a goal scored. :D

Sadly my home town team couldn't score, even in Pattaya. :o

Full Fixtures here (first leg) http://thaileague.spaces.live.com/?_c11_Bl...bFixture%2bList

Petchabun have a team (starting this year) in Division 2 Northern Region, They play their first match tomorrow at home Petchabun v Pichit 4pm

Which grounds are easiest to access from central Bangkok? I'd like to take in the odd game but don't quite kinow where to start!

Hi,

good to see so much positive responses :-)

I went to a game hosted at Kasesart's Kampaeng Saen Campus and the attendance was around 4000 I would say.... I was very disappointed that "the hunters'" team song wasn't played though, me and the missus had been practicing it that morning especially!!!

Go go hunter!

there are a couple of teams who play in central Bangkok- Bangkok United and Port Authority are based at Thai-Japanese stadium, Dindang. Next match there is Port Authority v Nakon Prathom (Hunter) on 5th April. Muang Thong play up in Nonthumburi on the same day against Bangkok United.

anyway here is the stadiums map http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?msa=0&am...ie=UTF8&z=8

btw I started to follow PEA Aytthaya last year- Faifa-Yutya!

I'm a regular. I've been watching Chonburi FC since 2002.We have grown from a very poor Thai Pro League side into the model for all other clubs to follow. And I've seen the attendance figures rise from a few dozen to about 4,500 for home games.

There's a lot of optimism around the domestic game this season. The authorities have made a real effort to promote the local leagues. There's still a long way to go but the crowds are up and generally there seems to be a lot more interest.

Apart from Nigbon's excellent website and the Thai football forum, Siam Sport always have a lot of coverage (in Thai) but the video highlights package is worth watching and Football Crazy on ESPN/Star is a keen supporter of Thai football - they usually show a few minutes of a featured game during the first 10 minutes of their Thursday night show.

I'll echo what the original poster said and encourage you to get down to watch your local club. It's always a lot of fun.

Thanks for the information, Lancaster, had a look a the website, but does not give the venue in Phetchabon, so I guess we'll have to see if we can find the game by motorcycle - Thailand, a different adventure everyday eh?

Seems Phetchabon is a late entry into the league, I've asked my nieces and nephews if they heard anything at school about the game, but no luck so far.

If anyone local knows the venue, please post on here, preferably before 2pm today. Thank you.

Thanks for the information, Lancaster, had a look a the website, but does not give the venue in Phetchabon, so I guess we'll have to see if we can find the game by motorcycle - Thailand, a different adventure everyday eh?

Seems Phetchabon is a late entry into the league, I've asked my nieces and nephews if they heard anything at school about the game, but no luck so far.

If anyone local knows the venue, please post on here, preferably before 2pm today. Thank you.

I think that they play at the sports college in Petchabun.

Hi, Firstly you were right SriRachaShark, thanks again.

The game was played at the college sports ground.

For anyone interested in attending future games, take highway 21 out of Phetchabon town, towards Lomsak, the ground is between 1 & 2 kms along the highway, on the left hand side, just past the Provincial Police Station. Car / motorcycle parking was no problem today.

The crowd was about 200, all in the main stand, (roofed). The opposite stand was empty, probably due to it being exposed to the sunshine, the main stand is in the shade. There are vendors outside, where drinks & snacks can be purchased. Entry was free, (always a bonus to those of us of Scottish family origins), and there are toilet facilities at ground level, at the end of the stand.

I’m really glad that I decided to look at this forum this morning, and go along, because by ‘eck what a match. The local crowd was very vocal in their support, with lots of music and singing. There was plenty of good football, both individual and from team play on both sides. There were 3 penalties awarded, 2 to Phetchabon, one scored, one saved, and one to Phichit, (scored). Phetchabon also scored a direct free kick that the likes of Beckham, Messi or Ronaldinho would have been proud of. Throw in several yellow cards, some atrocious misses in front of goal, and the entry of a couple of pretty nurses, to attend to Phetchabons’ injured goalkeeper, and you had the perfect game. The goalkeeper was taken to hospital by ambulance, hopefully he is not injured too badly. His replacement had a fine game, making several excellent saves for “our lads”. The final score was Phetchabon 4 Phichit 2.

We’ll definitely be attending Phetchabons’ games in future, the next match is on April 18th.

Thanks to all who helped out with information this morning, and good luck to your local teams for the season.

Now where can I get one of those Phetchabon shirts, green with a yellow flash on the shoulder?

All together now:

PhetchaBOON, Go

PhetchaBOON, Go

PhetchaBOON, PhetchaBOON, PhetchaBOON,

Go, Go Go!!

I’ve attached a few photos, which show the Phetchabon & Phichit teams, and an action shot, lovely tree in the background.

post-56415-1238340988_thumb.jpg

post-56415-1238341048_thumb.jpg

post-56415-1238341092_thumb.jpg

there was even a token farang playing (who was the best player on the pitch IMHO!)

Any details I would be interested to learn more.

( and no I am not thinking of a career )

Richard 45 years old and currently bottom of division 3 powerball 5 aside Wednesday North London league ( goal difference -96 ) :o

there was even a token farang playing (who was the best player on the pitch IMHO!)

Any details I would be interested to learn more.

( and no I am not thinking of a career )

Richard 45 years old and currently bottom of division 3 powerball 5 aside Wednesday North London league ( goal difference -96 ) :D

His name is Michael Byrne and he used to play for Stockport and Northwich Victoria.

Hope this helps :o

Hi, Firstly you were right SriRachaShark, thanks again.

The game was played at the college sports ground.

For anyone interested in attending future games, take highway 21 out of Phetchabon town, towards Lomsak, the ground is between 1 & 2 kms along the highway, on the left hand side, just past the Provincial Police Station. Car / motorcycle parking was no problem today.

The crowd was about 200, all in the main stand, (roofed). The opposite stand was empty, probably due to it being exposed to the sunshine, the main stand is in the shade. There are vendors outside, where drinks & snacks can be purchased. Entry was free, (always a bonus to those of us of Scottish family origins), and there are toilet facilities at ground level, at the end of the stand.

I'm really glad that I decided to look at this forum this morning, and go along, because by 'eck what a match. The local crowd was very vocal in their support, with lots of music and singing. There was plenty of good football, both individual and from team play on both sides. There were 3 penalties awarded, 2 to Phetchabon, one scored, one saved, and one to Phichit, (scored). Phetchabon also scored a direct free kick that the likes of Beckham, Messi or Ronaldinho would have been proud of. Throw in several yellow cards, some atrocious misses in front of goal, and the entry of a couple of pretty nurses, to attend to Phetchabons' injured goalkeeper, and you had the perfect game. The goalkeeper was taken to hospital by ambulance, hopefully he is not injured too badly. His replacement had a fine game, making several excellent saves for "our lads". The final score was Phetchabon 4 Phichit 2.

We'll definitely be attending Phetchabons' games in future, the next match is on April 18th.

Thanks to all who helped out with information this morning, and good luck to your local teams for the season.

Now where can I get one of those Phetchabon shirts, green with a yellow flash on the shoulder?

All together now:

PhetchaBOON, Go

PhetchaBOON, Go

PhetchaBOON, PhetchaBOON, PhetchaBOON,

Go, Go Go!!

I've attached a few photos, which show the Phetchabon & Phichit teams, and an action shot, lovely tree in the background.

Thanks for the brief report and pictures. I'm glad you enjoyed it :o

WeeGB do you have the fixture list of Petchabun?

anyway the next few games are....

Petchabun v

5/4 Chaing Mai (away)

18/4 Uttradit (home)

25/4 Prea (away)

3/5 Pitsanolouk (home)

...if you need it I could get the other fixtures

Good to hear you getting into it and gotta say Petchabuns a top spot. I was close to moving there a while ago but settled in Ayutthaya.

Hi Nigbon,

Thanks for the information, A list of further fixtures would be helpful, if you don't mind the typing.

Your website is really good, if I can help in any way with information about Phetchabun's team, please let me know.

My wife met the Phetchabun team's coach last year, at the bus station in town, she said he looked lost, so she asked him if he needed help - he's from Ghana, apparently, but he was waiting for a lift to the University.

She had forgotten about this until we were at the game, and he came out of the dug out to urge his defenders forward, (always a good sign in a coach). So if you need any information, please feel free to ask, and I'll try to get in touch with the coach. Believe University is more or less closed for summer, but I could make an effort to see him, on the next match day.

Phetchabun is a great place to live, I'm very happy here, our little village is very friendly.

If you want to use any of the photos I posted on your website, you're very welcome to do so, I took them myself, so as far as I'm concerned they're copyright free.

Cheers

WeeGB

Hi SriRachaShark,

Aye it were a grand afternoon out. I've waited nine years have a team to follow over here, it'll be a regular thing from now on.

I got loads of stick from people when I first started going. However, over time I've managed to drag quite a few of my colleagues along, a fair few who have become regulars. It has certainly helped that Chonburi have been successful but, as you say, "It's a grand afternoon out"!

Don't forget to pop over to the Thai Football forum for a "chat".

Hi Nigbon,

Thanks for the information, A list of further fixtures would be helpful, if you don't mind the typing.

Your website is really good, if I can help in any way with information about Phetchabun's team, please let me know.

My wife met the Phetchabun team's coach last year, at the bus station in town, she said he looked lost, so she asked him if he needed help - he's from Ghana, apparently, but he was waiting for a lift to the University.

She had forgotten about this until we were at the game, and he came out of the dug out to urge his defenders forward, (always a good sign in a coach). So if you need any information, please feel free to ask, and I'll try to get in touch with the coach. Believe University is more or less closed for summer, but I could make an effort to see him, on the next match day.

Phetchabun is a great place to live, I'm very happy here, our little village is very friendly.

If you want to use any of the photos I posted on your website, you're very welcome to do so, I took them myself, so as far as I'm concerned they're copyright free.

Cheers

WeeGB

thanks, I found Petchabun had a very untouched, yet developed feel about it with a beautiful country side. I think I was one of the first tourists up there, I couldn't hire a moterbike and the tuk tuk driver took me straight to the government office when I asked him to show me the sights.

Could I post your match report too? new league, new club, first match, new fan, interesting stuff.

the other first leg fixtures are

Petchabun v

5/4 Chaing Mai (away)

18/4 Uttradit (home)

25/4 Prea (away)

3/5 Pitsanolouk (home)

16/5 Kampheang Phet (home)

23/5 Tak (away)

31/5 Chaing Rai (away)

7/6 Chainat (home)

14/6 Sukhothai (away)

Hi Nigbon, thanks for the fixture list, much appreciated.

Please feel free to use my "match report". One thing I did omit to mention was how good the officials were. The referee tried to let the game flow as much as possible, and got every decision right, as far as I could tell, which was a major contribution to how good the game was.

When I first came to Phetchabun, in 2000, people used to look back at me, when riding motorcycles, which was very scary, don't think many of them had seen a "farang" before! Very friendly and helpful people though. I'm lucky, I married into a really good family, which has made my move here very easy.

Cheers

WeeGB

http://www.mtufc.com/main_en.asp

Open the video link here and you'll see Muang Thong's fans having a bit of a sing song. Doesn't look too hard to join in!

Ole Muang Thong

Ole Muang Thong

Ole Muang Thong

Ole Muang Thong

La La La La La ... Soo Soo

Ole Muang Thong

Ole Muang Thong

Ole Muang Thong

Ole Muang Thong

etc .... :o

• 2 weeks later...

It's "Derby Day" in Sri Racha today. The Blue Marlin entertain Chonburi at Assumption College, in what promises to be an entertaining match.

There will be a friendly atmosphere and hopefully a large crowd. If you're in the area why not come along. KO is 18:00hrs and admission is B60.