Do I Have To Leave Thailand?

I have decided to quit my job due to differences with the administration however I have concerns about my work permit and my visa.

I am on a 1 extension and just did a 90 report last week. My employer will discover that I have quit when I don't show up on Monday and will most likely cancel my work permit immediately. Everything in my passport is in order however I have heard that when a work permit is canceled that you must leave the country within a week to seek a new visa. Does anyone have a definitive answer my dilemma?

How would immigration know if a work permit has been canceled or not?

I assume your one year extension is based on the WP?

If that is the case, then you will have one week to leave after the WP is cancelled.

If your extension is based on marriage, then you do not have to leave.

"If that is the case, then you will have one week to leave after the WP is cancelled."

I think now you have to leave the same day. You can get a 7 day extension at immigration for 1900 baht.

Plenty of posts on here about this subject.

You do not have any time to leave unless you obtain an extension of stay from Immigration (that was the old system). On the day you end your employment you are required to visit Immigration to have your employment extension canceled. This may not be an issue if you do not plan to return; but if you do I would follow the rules. Believe your employer is supposed to provide you a letter for that purpose so taking a hike may not be the best plan.

Edited by lopburi3

Does anyone in Chiangmai, who is working, have any experience with trying to change their reason for extension from one based on work to one based on marriage just before their current extension expires when resigning from their job? First three extensions based on marriage, last 7 based on work. I now want to go back to one based on marriage, and prefer not to have to leave the country.

Do anya of the moderators have any contacts in Chiangmai immigration they can check with to get some straight answers for this type of situation.

Thanks

You do not have any time to leave unless you obtain an extension of stay from Immigration (that was the old system). On the day you end your employment you are required to visit Immigration to have your employment extension canceled. This may not be an issue if you do not plan to return; but if you do I would follow the rules. Believe your employer is supposed to provide you a letter for that purpose so taking a hike may not be the best plan.

What if your visa ends on May 31st, a Sunday, what should we do?

If you have a visa entry that ends on the 31st of May you have to extend your stay before that date or leave. Nothing to do with work/work permit in that case.

If you are talking about work ending on a Sunday you would report next day seems to be the policy. And there are reports they will fine you for a day overstay but still provide the 7 days. It is relatively new policy and suspect there are still teething issues.

Edited by lopburi3

I have decided to quit my job due to differences with the administration however I have concerns about my work permit and my visa.

I am on a 1 extension and just did a 90 report last week. My employer will discover that I have quit when I don't show up on Monday and will most likely cancel my work permit immediately. Everything in my passport is in order however I have heard that when a work permit is canceled that you must leave the country within a week to seek a new visa. Does anyone have a definitive answer my dilemma?

How would immigration know if a work permit has been canceled or not?

NO immigration will not know (unless you tell them :o )

Run your visa until it expires, why pay when you don't have toooooo

I just did the exact same thing or at least very similar. i knew the company was not going to report that i left the position to the labor office. therefore, i continued to use the visa and even entered and exited LOS many times before the visa date ended.

When it did end, i wanted to convert from visa based on WP to visa based on marriage. it was no problem to do this in my local immigration office.

first, the immigration office sent me to the labor office to have the wp cancelled (the labor office had no idea that i had actually finished working some time before). the labor office issued a ted-10 (that is what they call the form and i still have it in passport if someone wants a scan). then i brought the ted-10 back to immigration. the ted10 gives you 7 calendar days to leave unless your visa expires first. immigration then cancelled the visa and stamped "under consideration for visa case#..." and i completed processing the visa in the normal manner.

I just did the exact same thing or at least very similar. i knew the company was not going to report that i left the position to the labor office. therefore, i continued to use the visa and even entered and exited LOS many times before the visa date ended.

When it did end, i wanted to convert from visa based on WP to visa based on marriage. it was no problem to do this in my local immigration office.

first, the immigration office sent me to the labor office to have the wp cancelled (the labor office had no idea that i had actually finished working some time before). the labor office issued a ted-10 (that is what they call the form and i still have it in passport if someone wants a scan). then i brought the ted-10 back to immigration. the ted10 gives you 7 calendar days to leave unless your visa expires first. immigration then cancelled the visa and stamped "under consideration for visa case#..." and i completed processing the visa in the normal manner.

Very interesting. Would you recommend that I go to the labor office to get the ted-10 before I go to immigration then? I was planning on going to immigration today but I may wait for your response first.