Pattaya Ice Cream Festival.

buddy

Dear All,

This may be of interest to all those ice cream lovers out there.

Central are hosting an "Ice cream festival" on the 1st floor of the new Central Festival shopping Mall at Soi 9, Pattaya starting at 11am on Wednesday 1st April.

For the real serious (and educated) lovers of natural ice cream they have Gelato Ice cream represented with Dream Cones located next the ice cream buffet.

Enjoy, I sure will :o .

Buddy.

Yes its true.....There will be an ice cream buffet!

A bit of sweet schooling.

The serious food connoisseurs know there is a difference between "normal" ice cream and "Gelato" ice cream.

Gelato is Italian ice cream and it is made in a completely different way than normal factory produced ice cream, it is made with all natural ingedients, no flavourings, no colouring and fresh fruit, most are 100% fat free and the rest 96% fat free and that 4% fat is from the natural sugars of the fruit.

If you compare Gelato to normal ice cream it is like comparing a gourmet dinner made for one against 10,000 dinners slopped up in a Military barracks canteen.

Dont be fooled by the big budget marketing of the well known names, Swensens, Haagen-Daz, Ben & Jerrys, Walls, Nestle etc, go and taste the "Gelato" from the small independants like Dream Cones where it is all inividually hand made.

You will have a far beter experience and believe me once you have tasted Gelato there is no going back (unless the big boys hi-jacked your tastebuds when you where a kid).....which means, der I only eat Walls Magnum! :o

Enjoy (the Gelato).

Gelato is Italian ice cream and it is made in a completely different way than normal factory produced ice cream, it is made with all natural ingedients, no flavourings, no colouring and fresh fruit, most are 100% fat free and the rest 96% fat free and that 4% fat is from the natural sugars of the fruit.

Sorry, not be nasty, but almost nothing that you have said here is correct. You have bought a bunch of hype from the Italians.

"Fruit sugars" have nothing to do with "making" fat and real Italian Gelato is hardly ever fat free. It does however, often have less fat than normal ice cream.

Also, sometimes artificial flavorings are used as well as colourants, preservatives and stabilizers.

Gelato is often quite nice, but probably not any better than many expensive ice creams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelato

Sorry, not be nasty, but almost nothing that you have said here is correct. You have bought a bunch of hype from the Italians.

"Fruit sugars" have nothing to do with "making" fat and real Italian Gelato is hardly ever fat free. It does however, often have less fat than normal ice cream.

Also, sometimes artificial flavorings are used as well as colourants, preservatives and stabilizers.

Gelato is often quite nice, but probably not any better than many expensive ice creams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelato

Dear Ulysses G,

No offence taken, just trying to educate people as to the difference (and there is a vast difference) between Gelato and ordinary ice cream.

Even if the big names do market it as "premium" ice cream, Swensens, Haagen-Daz etc it is still mass produced in factories in huge vats in the continueos method with all sorts of colorants, artificial flavours, and chemicals added, ordinary ice cream also has 50% air added to fluff up the volume to maximise profit......its the expensive marketing budget people fall for.

In comparison Gelato making is like a cottage industry and is as pure and natural as the maker strives to make it, it is labour intensive and there is pride in what is produced, I know Guys who get up very early to do daily shops at the local fruit markets so they can get the freshest ingredients for thier Gelato.

The other difference is that most ordinary ice creams are made with full fat cream that coats the tongue and that masks the full flavour of the product, in the US you are not allowed by law as enforced by the US Food & Drug administration to call Gelato ice cream because it contains less than 25% fat.

The all natural Sorbets are 100% fat free, the other flavours ARE 96% fat free, there are also Sugar Free (SF) flavours developed for diabetics with no loss of flavour and the other added bonus is one Gelato maker I know of, Dream Cones have over 120 different flavours of Gelato to choose from.

We are lucky to have this choice in Thailand, Gelato is the healther choice ice cream with out a doubt.

If you are in Pattaya next Wednesday 1st April go taste the difference.

Enjoy :o

Even if the big names do market it as "premium" ice cream, Swensens, Haagen-Daz etc it is still mass produced in factories in huge vats in the continueos method with all sorts of colorants, artificial flavours, and chemicals added, ordinary ice cream also has 50% air added to fluff up the volume

That's always been my understanding of the main difference between ordinary ice-cream and gelato. Gelato has much less air in it and therefore is much more dense and so the flavors are more concentrated. It certainly isn't fat-free (how can any product made from ordinary milk or cream be so) and may or may not be made from more natural ingredients depending on the recipe of the producer. Well made gelato is a very nice treat no doubt about it.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Gelato, but most of the home made Gelato that I have had in Thailand - usually made in Italian owned restaurants - has not been much better than the cheap, commercial factory made ice cream such as Walls, but it is always more expensive because of the name Gelato.

I have tried most of the shops that specialize in Gelato in Pattaya and I enjoyed them all, but I do not think that they come even close to fresh Haagen-Daz or Ben and Jerrys from an outlet (as opposed to from the freezer case in a supermarket).

I have had Gelato that was as delicious as those ice creams in the U.S. and Singapore, but never in Thailand. the funny thing is that when so-called Gelato first came out in the U. S. - 30 years ago - it had an even higher fat content than Haagen-Daz. I have not been home in 20 years, so perhaps that has changed now.

Anyway, that is just my opinion and I wish you luck with the Ice Cream Festival. :o

...<snipped>...Dearr Ulysses G, No offence taken, just trying to educate people as to the difference (and there is a vast difference) between Gelato and ordinary ice cream. Even if the big names do market it as "premium" ice cream, Swensens, Haagen-Daz etc it is still mass produced in factories in huge vats in the continueos method with all sorts of colorants, artificial flavours, and chemicals added, ordinary ice cream also has 50% air added to fluff up the volume to maximise profit......its the expensive marketing budget people fall for.

Ulysses is absolutely correct, concerning gelato. And to further your lacking education on ice cream you have incorrectly included Haagen Daz (though a commercial ice cream, which I think may be made be made by Nestles, is not in the same category as the others you named. To determine a high quality ice cream from other brand there is a very simple, _though wasteful_, test. Further a high quality ice cream has a high content of fat from cream. We are to assume the other constituents that make up the product are 'natural' and nothing artificial had been added [read label].

Take a pint of any brand of ice cream, or pints of various brands and one of Haagen Daz. Simply let the various pints of ice cream sit and melt at room temperature. When they again become liquid, stir slightly to assure any air that had been use to increased volume will have dissipated. The remaining liquid is the actual amount of the 'ice cream' that was used to make the original pint. You will be surprised how much less than a pint of liquid some brands become...some are less than 1/2 a pint!

IMHO, the best ice cream is not any commercial product but _homemade_, starting with an egg yolk custard base, cream, etc., and the desired flavoring ingredients (fresh ripe fruit, chocolate, vanilla bean, etc.)

Now you might also try that with gelato (I haven't) and I'd be curious which, if any, pints of the various gelato's are near a full pint of liquid when melted?

Happy experimenting and learning...

Edited by LukDod

from ThaiPR.net

ศูนย์การค้าเซ็นทรัลเฟสติวัล พัทยา บีช จัดงาน Ice Cream Festival Minus Twelve @ CentralFestival Pattaya beach เนรมิตคลื่นทะเลยักษ์ให้กลายเป็นน้ำแข็งในอุณหภูมิลบ 12 องศา เพื่อ ฟรีส (Freeze) ไอศครีมซีฟู้ด และซูชิไอศครีม ที่สร้างสรรค์โดย Ice Cream Designer พร้อมร่วมรับประทานไอศครีมหลากแบรนด์ดัง อาทิ Iberry , amaltery,Felice,Tuscanini,Time Out สุดหรรษากับการรับประทานไอศครีม บุฟเฟต์ บนรางที่จำลองมาจากร้าน Sushi ราคาเพียง 99 บาท ในเวลา 1 ชั่วโมง เต็ม ร่วมสนุกกับเกมเย็นสุดขั้ว เช่น การท้าประลองความเย็นบนเก้าอี้น้ำแข็ง ชมสาธิตการทำไอศกรีมสูตรต่างๆ เช่น ไอศกรีมสมุนไพร ไอศรีมไขมันต่ำ รวมทั้ง Hi-Light สาธิตการทำไอศกรีมซีฟู้ด และ ไอศกรีมซูชิ ทดลองทำไอศกรีมด้วยตนเองกับ Ice Cream Home Made ที่คุณก็สามารถทำเองได้ง่ายๆ ที่บ้าน ร่วมสนุกไปพร้อมคำแนะนำจากมืออาชีพ พิเศษสุดกับ Celebrities “คุณปลา Iberry” ที่มาร่วม DIY ไปพร้อมกับคุณในรอบกิจกรรมพิเศษ (ในวันเสาร์ที่ 4 เมษายน 2552) และพบกับแฟชั่นโชว์ชุด Little Mermaid กับคุณชมพู่ อารยา และดารารับเชิญสมทบ ในวันที่ 1 เมษายน 2552 เชิญร่วมท่องโลกจินตนาการเมื่อยามท้องทะเลเมืองพัทยาอุณหภูมิติดลบ 12 องศา พร้อมรับประทานไฮไลท์ ไอศครีมซีฟู้ดและไอศครีมซูชิ ได้ตั้งแต่วันพุธที่ 1 – 6 เมษายน 2552 ณ บริเวณชั้น 1 ศูนย์การค้าเซ็นทรัลเฟสติวัล พัทยา บีช

สอบถามรายละเอียดเพิ่มเติมที่ รัชดาภรณ์ บุญต่อ (ออ) แผนกประชาสัมพันธ์

บริษัท เซ็นทรัลพัฒนา จำกัด (มหาชน) โทร.0-2667-5555 ต่อ 4104 /081-5536797

โทรสาร 0-2264-5575 Call Center 0-2635-1111

E-Mail : [email protected] / [email protected]

Gelato should have no air and less fat than ice cream but usually is not non-fat. I am sorry but I have tried all the so called big name "gelatos" in Thailand and none would be acceptable as good gelato in San Francisco, Italy, or Argentina. Festival, schmestival, just lipstick on a pig. I agree with Ulysses, Ben and Jerry's ice cream is better than any faux gelato you get in Thailand. If you don't know any better, hope I haven't burst your bubble.

Edited by Jingthing

Gelato should have no air and less fat than ice cream but usually is not non-fat. I am sorry but I have tried all the so called big name "gelatos" in Thailand and none would be acceptable as good gelato in San Francisco, Italy, or Argentina. Festival, schmestival, just lipstick on a pig. I agree with Ulysses, Ben and Jerry's ice cream is better than any faux gelato you get in Thailand. If you don't know any better, hope I haven't burst your bubble.

Dear Jingthing,

I just dont know how on earth you can underate Dream Cones Gelato with Ben & Jerrys factory mass produced gunk?

As I expained a lot has changed, imported ingredients, Falang quality control and operation certainly make Dream Cones Gelato and Sorbets a far better tasting product, we all have our favorites normally developed by the big names in your childhood.

If you have a sweet tooth go try Dream Cones Blueberry Cheescake or Rocher (Ferrore), if you like a more bitter taste try the Rasberry Sorbet, the Young Coconut is worth a try as well.

Love to hear your feedback on these flavours.

best regards

buddy. :o

Hi Buddy,

I have tried the young coconut at Dream Cones and found it very good and also a few other flavors I don't recall. I will try those other flavors you suggest as well. I will back off somewhat and say this is not awful gelato. However it does not compare to the best gelatos I have had in the world, and they were in Argentina, which totally blew me away. Not does it compare to the better gelatos in San Francisco to my taste. I am also not saying B&J's is gelato, only that I would rather have a good ice cream than a mediocre gelato. I happen to like that New Zealand ice cream chain here as well.

Edited by Jingthing

Mmmmm Gelato, my not so secret Italian love affair that has lasted 45 years! :o

Sounds good - I will try this gelato stuff and see for myself.

A bit off the point but for any UK people here, the best ice cream I have ever tasted, or will ever taste I suspect, is the German ice cream from the cheapo German supermarket chain in the UK and Germany called LIDL. This stuff is made of real fresh cream and natural flavours. The vanilla even has the speckles of vanilla pod in the ice cream. The amount of real cream is amazing - comes in at least 4 flavours - vanilla, walnut, chocolate (too dark and strong flavour for me this one), and coffee - none of those ghastly fruity falvours. I CANNOT stress the danger this is to health and weight and challenge anyone who has access to a Lidl's store not to love it! All the others I have tasted, Ben and Jerries, Swensens etc, have absolutely nothing on this stuff, are way overrated and are about 5 times more expensive.

Edited by Tyke

So what did everyone think of the Ice Cream Festival so far?

I didn't see anything about a 150 baht all you can eat. Where did that information come from? :D

Tonight I tried the "Adult Ice Cream" .. Baileys flavor :o 5% Alcohol volume and I have to admit that I got a little tipsy after a few scoops!

Definitely will be going back before it ends, I tasted a few flavors of the adult ice cream and they tasted good.

My comments on the ice cream festival.

Some good and some bad.

The buffet concept is a total disaster! There is nothing written in English to explain it or promote it. I had to ask an old German man who told me about it when it wasn't even operating. It doesn't appear to be on at all times. I came back a second time and watched it in operation, I was underwhelmed. You sit at a round table and you have one hour to eat your buffet. A server puts rather large portions of whatever flavor he wants (or so it appears) and you either take that or leave it. There is no label about what flavor it is, so if you take it, you either eat it and fill your stomach with something you may not really love, or waste it. So stupid! What they should have done is label all the flavors, and put out SMALL TASTES of maybe 100 flavors and then that would be fun, you would really "learn" something, and it would be worth it. Now it is true the retail stalls are generous with free small tastes but it would be impolite to try 100 of them, yes?

Also bad: I am sorry Time Out gelato sucks. Yet they have their stupid clown there and most of the people buying at the actual retail stalls are buying at Time Out which they can get at anytime in Pattaya! Whats the point of a festival then? At least one (maybe more) of the retail stalls have promotions on. That is good to have for a festival, but most are not offering a special price, so again, whats the point of the festival?

I will tell you what is the point. There are some outlets that are featured there now that come from Bangkok and you can't get here. For example the alcohol one another poster mentioned "adult" ice cream (that stuff is strong!). The one stall that I really, really loved is from Bangkok and its called something with a G (forget the exact name, perhaps I-Gemeli or something like that, its the first place on the left when approaching from the 2nd road side) and they have very wonderful super creamy ice creams (not gelato). Flavors for example rum crocante. This is not the same as the adult ice cream place where the ice cream is loaded with booze. They will also give you THREE flavors for a medium cup, very generous portion for 95 baht. Dream Ice Cream does have a promotion, buy two scoops and get one free. The Adult ice cream is also doing that but the sign is in Thai.

Do go to the festival to try what you can't normally get in town (Time Out for Time Out!) but forget that daft buffet!

Note to the Dream Cones dude. Your gelato is pretty good. Don't blame it on my aged palate, I was just in Argentina a few years ago. Yours doesn't compare to their best. I am not sure what you could do to make it compare, that's your business, but don't be playing insulting dodges about people's ages to defer your own deficiencies. I also find your racial stereotypes ridiculous. We are all individuals. Sometimes I like sweet, sometimes I like tart, depends on my mood. You remind me of the Thai restaurants where you have to twist their arm to get them to cook it like they would for a Thai, whiteys don't like spicy food!

Edited by Jingthing

We went on the first day but missed the buffet as we went too early. Buffet appears to start around 4pm for an hour, people start to fill the limited seats at 3:00 / 3:30pm. Photo attached of buffet just after 3pm when people started to sit.

I thought the adult ice cream was an interesting idea and the flavours were really good. They haven't got a shop in Pattaya yet, so now would be a good time to try something new.

post-17683-1238728226_thumb.jpg

post-17683-1238728232_thumb.jpg

post-17683-1238728247_thumb.jpg

post-17683-1238728252_thumb.jpg

Also bad: I am sorry Time Out gelato sucks.

The problem I have with Time Out (and many of the other places that sell reduced or low-fat ice creams ) is that in order to get the fat out and maintain the taste and texture of ice cream, they substitute artificial fats like Olestra for the dairy fats in ordinary ice creams.

The taste is pretty much okay but the main ingredient in these "fat less" fats is know to cause constipation. For a while when they first opened a few years ago, I would have a scoop or two of their ice cream and it was like I had a plug in my bum...I wouldn't go for days. I didn't know what was causing it and then remembered reading about these fat substitutes when they first came out and their known side-effects. When I stopped having any of their ice cream, things started to flow again fine :o

I do like their fat-free fruit sorbet flavors, however, as these are naturally fat-free.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Also bad: I am sorry Time Out gelato sucks.

The problem I have with Time Out (and many of the other places that sell reduced or low-fat ice creams ) is that in order to get the fat out and maintain the taste and texture of ice cream, they substitute artificial fats like Olestra for the dairy fats in ordinary ice creams.

I really think that you are wrong about this. It would be totally unethical to add Olestra without letting consumers know it. :o

I really think that you are wrong about this. It would be totally unethical to add Olestra without letting consumers know it.

Without using some kind of artificial fat substitute, how does one make an ice cream 95% (or whatever it is) fat-free?

This is Thailand...I don't know what the food labeling regulations are with regards to such food additives, but I'm sure if they are not explicitly required, then such information wouldn't be posted.

Finally, my intestines and colon don't lie :o

They had 95% fat free ice cream long before Olestra was invented. Believe me,if these products contained artificial fat, it would say so somewhere in the store. The Thai FDA is one of the most restrictive in the world and not many businesses here just ignore them.

Something else in the icecream is giving you the Hershey squirts, not Olestra. :o

It doesn't matter. If you have a choice between Dream gelato and Time Out gelato (which is NOT real gelato and its not really ice cream either), choose Dream. Both have outlets in Pattaya. Time Out sucks. They have great marketing though, that stupid clown.

Edited by Jingthing