Thai Army Officer Ranks

brianbrain

Hi,

I was chatting with a girl whose father is in the army. She told me her father has the rank พันเอกพิเศษ which I understand to be a colonel of some description. Can anyone tell me where that fits into the Thai armed forces and Thai society generally? This is more out of curiousity than anything.

Thanks,

BB

The word you wrote is Colonel. The girls father will hold a very important place in the military and will be well respected/influential in thai society. Colonel is slightly above halfway up the military officer leadership ladder and classed as high ranking.

NL

Following up on that, I wonder if anyone could help me with this:

I did some volunteer work in the army (in Khorat) and stayed at the house of the major-general and he was commanding officer of the ground force(?) at that particular base.

Now I wonder how high is this? How many of those would there be in the Kingdom?

The word you wrote is Colonel. The girls father will hold a very important place in the military and will be well respected/influential in thai society. Colonel is slightly above halfway up the military officer leadership ladder and classed as high ranking.

NL

The way I read it, the Thai words mean "special colonel" or do all colonels have that distinction? Thanks for your comments.

Following up on that, I wonder if anyone could help me with this:

I did some volunteer work in the army (in Khorat) and stayed at the house of the major-general and he was commanding officer of the ground force(?) at that particular base.

Now I wonder how high is this? How many of those would there be in the Kingdom?

Major General is one step above Colonel. It is high, but there are still hundreds or maybe thousands of them floating around. There are also two ranks above Major General (Lt. General and General).

good question:

now... how does the army work in thailand (conscription, reserve duty, women?)....

i have to expain to thai workers here that their employers are called up to do up to 90 days of reserve during the year (not all at once) ; they had to get used to the fact that sometimes things come to a halt (boss in miluim (reserves) for a week or more so paychecks, problem solving , everything gets delayed .... an other annoying fact of israeli life...

also, they are interested int he fact that my daughter (17 yr) has one day of army already in prep for next year when she turns 18 and finishes senior year of school, its off to the army... so she has to be tested, vetted and decide what she would like to do...beside being a secretary to some colonel ....

i use the word : tahan , is this army, or soldier?

also, combat vs. office (jobnik)..... and also, here, 18 yr olds can be officers and have authority over older men (but not those that are career officers -- men and women that stay beyond their three year service).....

and how do civilians defer or refer to the soldiers.... here its very informal cause your boss at work can be under your comand in the reserves etc....

I can’t give you much help apart from recent experience with my nephew.

My nephew, university graduate, working his payback time with the government, turned 21 early last year and his name went into the pool for conscription. I recall the draw was on the 1st of the month and he was so relieved not have been selected. His name will not be used in future draws.

I believe the conscription time would have been for 2 years.

I hope that helps a bit.

NL

Edited by NarrLing

Major General is one step above Colonel.  It is high, but there are still hundreds or maybe thousands of them floating around.  There are also two ranks above Major General (Lt. General and General).

It is reputed that Thailand has a lower ratio (many cigar puffing pot bellied types) of generals/admirals to enlisted men than any other country. I believe most are in "honorary" positions whereby they still maintain a government salary and command tea money for various activities but have little if any command over other troops.

good question:

now... how does the army work in thailand (conscription, reserve duty, women?)....

i have to expain to thai workers here that their employers are called up to do up to 90 days  of reserve during the year (not all at once) ; they had to get used to the fact that sometimes things come to a halt (boss in miluim (reserves) for a week or more so paychecks, problem solving , everything gets delayed  .... an other annoying fact of israeli life...

also, they are interested int he fact that my daughter (17 yr) has one day of army already in prep for next year when she turns 18 and finishes senior year of school, its off to the army... so she has to be tested, vetted and decide what she would like to do...beside being a secretary to some colonel ....

i  use the word : tahan , is this army, or soldier?

also, combat vs. office (jobnik)..... and also, here, 18 yr olds can be officers and have authority over older men (but not those that are career officers -- men and women that stay beyond their three year service).....

and how do civilians defer or refer to the soldiers.... here its very informal cause your boss at work can be under your comand in the reserves etc....

I've responded to a few posts on the topic on Military Conscription. Do a search of this site and you will have all your answers

It is reputed that Thailand has a lower ratio (many cigar puffing pot bellied types) of generals/admirals to enlisted men than any other country.  I believe most are in "honorary" positions whereby they still maintain a government salary and command tea money for various activities but have little if any command over other troops.

Judging from the newpapers General and Admirals are two a penny.

The trouble is the NEVER retire,

so as the saying goes "there are more chief's than indians".

Look at the PM. He still quotes his police rank, though he is a politician now.

Truth is, just about every Thai male has some sort of military ranking, kept from their days as either a cadet or conscript, as after they have finished their training duties, all males are released into a inactive 'reserve' pool which can be recalled in times of national emergency.