Business As Usual In Phuket As Sex Tourists Return

george

Business as usual in Phuket as sex tourists return

thaibargirls_wideweb__430x293.jpg

Photo: Eddie Jim

PATONG: -- It is midnight at Patong Beach and the tourists - almost all men - are out in force. They spill out from bars on Bangla Road, a stretch of pubs, girlie bars, strip shows and flirting Thai women.

Just over three weeks after the tsunami, tourism is starting to pick up in Patong, the so-called cash register of Phuket.

But on the beach and in the bars it is a particular type of holidaymaker who have decided not to cancel their trips and instead support the Thai economy, so reliant on tourism. They are not families and rarely couples, but single men.

This is partly to do with sex tourism, which accounts for 5 per cent of Thailand's gross domestic product. As usual, plenty of older male foreigners are to be seen hand-in-hand with Thai women. The strip bars are reporting little downturn in trade since the tsunami. Even the transvestite cabaret and gay bars are business-as-usual.

"Yes, we are just as busy as before the tsunami," said Toto, a drag queen.

Other men who either stayed or did not cancel their holidays in Phuket, where hotel occupancy rates have plummeted from 100 per cent to less than 20 per cent, are not here for the sex tourism but have visited Thailand many times and know people here.

Amel Alispahic, 28, of Cronulla, arrived a week after the tsunami. Having once visited Thailand nine times in a year - he works for Qantas - cancelling did not cross his mind.

"I'm not like the other tourists who see disaster and want to get out of the country," he said, as the music of AC/DC thundered outside the Kangaroo Bar.

"A Thai person told me, 'We don't want you Australians to leave. If you go we have nothing to live for'. They respect us more for not running away, not having fear."

An Australian hotel owner, who only wanted to be known as Sid, said bookings had started to pick up again, and his hotel was now half full.

"Before Christmas there were more families than single blokes, now you see a lot of single blokes floating around and the families are gone. But it is the families that normally stay in the hotels on the beach, and they are the ones that have been hit."

Down the road, propped on a bar stool, Thomas Ferguson, 35, from Scotland, said he too was a regular in Thailand. He was due in Patong on December 28 but stayed in Bangkok after the tsunami and then went to Koh Samui, an island off the unaffected Gulf of Thailand coast. But the nightlife there, he said, was "rubbish".

"I'll be honest with you," he shouted over the music. "It's the cheap drinking and the good nightlife that I like here."

--smh.com.au 2005-01-20

Source:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Asia-Tsunami/Bu...6110881913.html

Quite quiet at Nai Harn beach today - but busier than on Monday. Today we had only about 50 yards of beach to ourselves, had at least 100 yards on Monday.

nh2zo.jpg

Can't comment on the night life, neither Bangla Road nor Patong are my favourite places - prefer Rawai, which is usually quiet and still is. :D

P.S. I wonder why there are 177 users reading this topic? :o

I'll answer my own question then: multiple sources (easily Googled) indicate that tourism typically accounts for 6% of Thailand's GDP.

The more pessimistic analysts suggest that in the wake of the tsunami it might only be 5% in 2005.

So basically she's equating all tourists in Thailand with sex tourism. And she files a photo showing the center of the bar area with less than 20% of the normal numbers for this time of year.

Her two eyewitnesses say nothing about having sex for money...

Pathetic sensationalism.

Hello Punter and especially HKT meaning Phuket in Airline Speak...

That is Soi Crocadile or commonly know as Soi Katoy. I expect that to be a real photo. I can see we have some non Patongite's posting. If you look at the place on a normal time it is many many couples and single females some are headed to the back of the soi to Andaman Queen Kateoy Show. You will even notice that the Cocktails and Dreams Kateoy bar up on Soi Tiger alson caters to lots of siongle females and couples. What has been said is that the male punters are back in full swing but single girls and couples are still not there. I would expect that to be the case and the pic of Soi Kateoy on Bangla fits rigtht into that report.......No load of bunk here, have the reporter hit Soi Eric and Soi Tiger for some pics. Be there soon myself...Jus think relief is now a two way street!.

good over view....BTW I think I know the Darling waving???

From what my friends say that live in Patong, business is DEAD!!!

Less than 10% hotel occupancy.

I live in kamala and dead would be good, Its a graveyard here. Went out to dinner at the New Rockfish restaurant which is at the south end of Kamala bay and overlooks the wtaer. Hardley any lights visable at all along the beach.

Nothing is open on the beach road, ( they are in the process of tearing down many shops/homes business's there) and only a few bars and noodle stands on the main road. The road is empty day and night. Even Fantasea has closed its doors. they opened for one night since the 26th and had 100 paying guests ( usually over 4-5,000/night). Say they will try again on Feb 1st.

Lets see if it picks up for Chinese new years in 2 weeks

Edited by phuketrichard

Who gives a **** about all this statistic crap. :o

Lets be glad that the customers are going there again.  :D

well the statistic crap does prove alot, but from friends there I heard its as quiet as the picture shows... its slowly picking up but the empty barseats are still correct. I remember before the tsunami it was virtually impossible finding a seat in that Kathoey area there on Bangla road.

Technically sex industry counts for alot more than 5% of GDP but there are no official figures as everything is 'black' money... no pros pay taxes on their 'income'.

Hotels on the other hand do, and that's how we account for the GDP of tourists...

I heard Pattaya is still booming... but I personally still prefer Phuket...

I just hope they have new speed bikes by the time I go back there...

cheers,

Sam

As a Patong resident I can confirm its worse than quiet.. On the positive side it is picking up and getting better but as far as a high season is concerned forget it..

As to why single male travellers are the first to return.. who do you think would be the most carefree and least troubled by a bit of damage etc ?? Familes with kids to worry about or young single guys ?? Makes total sense..

Theres still fun to be had and people are enjoying vacations despite the lower numbers etc.. To be honest high season drives me a bit batty and I tend to prefer mid or low season but this is different, its a 'vibe' that feels a bit calmer and personally I almost feel guilty trying to enjoy Phukets attractions now...

quote: "A Thai person told me, 'We don't want you Australians to leave. If you go we have nothing to live for'.

Hmmm, 'bark wan' i feel....go on mate, how much did she get ya for in the morning??

Edited by mr_lob

I'll answer my own question then: multiple sources (easily Googled) indicate that tourism typically accounts for 6% of Thailand's GDP.

The more pessimistic analysts suggest that in the wake of the tsunami it might only be 5% in 2005.

So basically she's equating all tourists in Thailand with sex tourism. And she files a photo showing the center of the bar area with less than 20% of the normal numbers for this time of year.

Her two eyewitnesses say nothing about having sex for money...

Pathetic sensationalism.

Absolutely correct, CDB.

As a Patong resident I can confirm its worse than quiet.. On the positive side it is picking up and getting better but as far as a high season is concerned forget it..

As to why single male travellers are the first to return.. who do you think would be the most carefree and least troubled by a bit of damage etc ?? Familes with kids to worry about or young single guys ?? Makes total sense..

Theres still fun to be had and people are enjoying vacations despite the lower numbers etc.. To be honest high season drives me a bit batty and I tend to prefer mid or low season but this is different, its a 'vibe' that feels a bit calmer and personally I almost feel guilty trying to enjoy Phukets attractions now...

Have to agree with you and your analysis.

I was down in Phuket on business last Tuesday and had some time to see for myself. Yes, there's plenty of activity along Bangla Road at night, but it was still like low season - not a typical January night! Those empty seats are for real. Once you move outside that immediate area, it is really dead! I stayed in a hotel that had only 4 rooms occupied! I and my colleague drove out of Patong for dinner and ended up in Kata in a reastaurant with one other table occupied! Most of the other restaurants we saw were empty or closed.

On Wednesday, I drove around a bit to inspect the damage. Surin was business as usual, with many families on the beach (but still only about 1/3 of what it would usually be at this time of year). Suring Beach appeared almost unscathed. The restaurants at the beach were still there, not exactly packed but certainly doing a reasonable business. Seems that the geography of the place, the steeply shelving beach that makes Surin so dangerous in the off-season, protected it this time.

Kamala was a different story. They were still dragging cars (with bodies) from the pit behind Fantasea, and the main street of Kamala, which I always thought was one of the prettiest on the island, lies devastated in an awesome manner. There are some buildings standing, even on the sea side of the road (and being repaired) while on either side of them there is nothing at all left. Buildings on both sides of the road are totally gone and the beach is now fully visible as you walk along the road. The grotesquely twisted remnants visible in the piles of debris are evidence of the tremendous force that must have been behind the waves. The dying vegetation (much of it unable to survive the effect of the salt deposits) and the destruction right back as far as the main road, showed just how far the waves and destruction penetrated inland here. A small bar that used to be on the corner where those frustratingly slow traffic lights are (and are still working!) had totally vanished! I'm told that, proportionately, Kamala suffered the most damage of any township in Phuket.

Kalim too was a scene of great destruction - all those houses on the sea side of the road (lovely location I always thought and built when there were no regulations to prevent them) were still standing, but they were just shells, nothing left inside, even upstairs, as far as I could see. And the destruction continued on the other side of the road as well.

The damage to the Patong seafront has already been well documented, so I won't linger on it. The cleanup everywhere has been impressive and anywhere that could be restored seems to already be up and back in business, even some restaurants on the sea side of the road - impressive! Hope they get their customers back soon.

I believe that Scandinavian charter flights will resume at the beginning of February, so that should help a bit, but this season won't recover. Hope that the reconstruction will really result in a much improved Patong with business better than ever. Knowing Phuket, I'm sure the business will return sooner than we expect. Many will come who want to see the 'new face' of Phuket, many more who love the place and want to show their support, many others curious to see what happened. And many because Phuket is still a wonderful paradise to holiday in!

Final assessment: The best thing you can do for Phuket right now (for other more devastated locations it's a different story of course) is to come visit and stay a while. Phuket badly needs your business. It's an opportunity to enjoy a lovely location at the loveliest time of the year, without the usual overcrowding, traffic jams, queues and high prices. And tell your friends here in Thailand and overseas. I'm going back with family for a week's holiday as soon as possible!

Final assessment:  The best thing you can do for Phuket right now (for other more devastated locations it's a different story of course) is to come visit and stay a while.  Phuket badly needs your business.  It's an opportunity to enjoy a lovely location at the loveliest time of the year, without the usual overcrowding, traffic jams, queues and high prices.  And tell your friends here in Thailand and overseas.  I'm going back with family for a week's holiday as soon as possible!

Very informative. Thank you for a rational and objective assessment, rather than the usual Farang belly-aching and satirical remarks!

I hope all the resident families can take advantage of the low-sex-trade opportunity to visit lovely areas of the south that are are usually overrun by less-than-tasteful party makers.

So much for thaivisa's repeated attempts to talk up business in Phuket. You asked for it..you got it..(the truth that is straight from the horses' mouths). The season is a write off so you'd better come to terms with it. Find a way to get in on the reconstruction, there may be a niche there, and plan for next year. Now's the time to hold your landlord's legs to the fire for a lower rent. (well why shouldn't they feel the pinch too?) Good luck to all the business owners down there.

And I agree with the remarks about Samui..it's a nice place but the night life sucks. I reckon Pattaya is cashing in on the sex tourists who were looking for a beach holiday, with Patong Beach goers rerouting to Pattaya.

Hi,

To all Phuket residents, where should I go if I want a small bungalow on a nice beach? ( bed + shower is enough, no technology needed! ;-) ) And I'm not interested by nightlife and BG, I just need to relax 1 week far from BKK.

Thanks!

If you want to relax and do not need any mod cons, Phuket is probably not for you. Unfortunately/Fortunately Phuket isnt what it used to be and because the beach land is a premium, small bungalow resorts are minimal. I only know of 1 on the whole Island and that has a pool and aircond - Friendship Beach in Rawai.

If you dont mind being 30 minutes away from Phuket, I would suggest Koh Yao Noi or Koh Yao Yai as there are many bungalow type places there. You can stay at "Chon Lat Beach" on Koh Yao Yai for about 300 baht - absolute beachfront.

Sabaii Corner on Koh Yao Noi for about 500 - absolute ocean front.

Leave from Baan Rong Pier (East Coast) and you can get the local ferry for 50 baht or hire your own longtail ( but pricey).

Regarding the thread starter - Patong is far from Kicking, see LivinLOS' post.

If you want to relax and do not need any mod cons, Phuket is probably not for you. Unfortunately/Fortunately Phuket isnt what it used to be and because the beach land is a premium, small bungalow resorts are minimal. I only know of 1 on the whole Island and that has a pool and aircond - Friendship Beach in Rawai.

I know of Vichit Bungalow which is after Friendship Beach - they have bungalows with air con + pool overlooking Chalong bay.

I know of Vichit Bungalow which is after Friendship Beach - they have bungalows with air con + pool overlooking Chalong bay.

:o thats a fair point LIR, I forgot about that place. How much per night?

I think he is looking for a rustic experience?? :D

Hi,

To all Phuket residents, where should I go if I want a small bungalow on a nice beach? ( bed + shower is enough, no technology needed! ;-) ) And I'm not interested by nightlife and BG, I just need to relax 1 week far from BKK.

Thanks!

The Katanoi Beach Bungalows are very quiet, just over the little bridge at the end of KataNoi, about 600 Baht per night. Great for parking car. Only the breakfast restaurant was damaged.