General Questions About Getting Around And Being Safe And Street Smart

firstblud

Questions:

1. How easy is it to get from Bangkok to the similan islands if I don't speak Thai and have no online bookings?

2. Is it easy for a non-Thai speaking person to get around Thailand? I'm worried that there's all these places I want to touch in Thailand, but might find difficulties in finding the optimal modes of getting around, whether it be tour guides, bus, plane, etc.

3. I will have no phone in Thailand. Does Thailand have easy access to "throw-away" cell phones like virgin mobile?

4. People keep telling me to be very careful of how I get around or else I can get into big trouble (i.e. a tuk-tuk driver kidnapping us, tricked into giving up a lot of $, or getting victimized, etc ). Do you guys find this true, moreso than in more developed countries (i.e. USA) and do you have any general tips?

As you can tell, I'm a bit nervous. I've never visited a foreign country where English was not a primary language. This is practically like visiting another planet one could say.

Appreciate anyone who can answer any of my questions. Thanks.

Questions:

2. Is it easy for a non-Thai speaking person to get around Thailand? I'm worried that there's all these places I want to touch in Thailand, but might find difficulties in finding the optimal modes of getting around, whether it be tour guides, bus, plane, etc.

4. People keep telling me to be very careful of how I get around or else I can get into big trouble (i.e. a tuk-tuk driver kidnapping us, tricked into giving up a lot of $, or getting victimized, etc ). Do you guys find this true, moreso than in more developed countries (i.e. USA) and do you have any general tips?

As you can tell, I'm a bit nervous. I've never visited a foreign country where English was not a primary language. This is practically like visiting another planet one could say.

The day in my life I remember most was my first day in Thailand. I was very nervous...I had never been out of the US and Canada. Now, after about 15 visits over the years I am as comfortable, perhaps more comfortable traveling within Thailand than I am many places in the U.S.

2. The further out of Bangkok you get, the more challenging it is to communicate, but I have had few significant problems because of it. I've never hired a tour guide, yet there are few places in the country I haven't visited and toured. Occasionally I have been with Thai friends, but just as many places I have explored alone. Rental cars, easy. Trains, easy. City buses and mass transit, easy. I have never done intercity bus travel, so can't speak to that.

4. Anything can happen, but I feel safer in Thailand than I do here in the U.S. The most likely thing to happen to you is to be scammed in tourist agencies, but unless you are really foolish it would be for chump change, and is sometimes even amusing. I do worry about pickpocketing, although it has never happened to me or anyone I know...although I hear it is common on buses...and I ride city buses a lot. You might goggle "scams + bangkok" to find some stories.

I think you should relax and enjoy yourself, but be alert to anything that just doesn't feel quite right.

BTW, the only real scam I ever personally experienced was when some naive Thai friends took me to see "the other side of Bangkok" and we got ripped off with $20 drinks in a dive. That's the kind of place (common in Pat Pong) where you are apt to be scammed.

If you seriously want to arrive in Thailand with the basic tools to get around, and identify potential problems, get yourself the latest lonely planet (or some other brand-name) Thailand guide book. It is money well spent when you're clueless.

Read the introduction pages (you'll pick up a lot of good tips), and refer to the specific cities, towns, & island's sections as required.

Questions:

1. How easy is it to get from Bangkok to the similan islands if I don't speak Thai and have no online bookings?

3. I will have no phone in Thailand. Does Thailand have easy access to "throw-away" cell phones like virgin mobile?

1) You don't need any online bookings. Transport and accomodation won't be a problem, the high season is almost finished. To go to the Similan islands, go to the southern bus terminal in Bangkok, and take a bus to Khao Lak from there. Khao Lak is right opposite the Similan islands, and there are plenty of hotels and bungalow resorts there, that will all have vacancy. Book your trip to Similan once you are in Khao Lak, if the hotel cannot arrange it, go to one of the many travel agencies.

2) Thailand has an excellent infrastructure in the way of public transport, hotels and travel agencies. It is very easy to get around. The people speak only basic English, but they are very helpful.

3) Take your mobile phone with you, and once here buy a Thai SIM card (very cheap), which will fit into it. In case it doesn't, buy a cheap mobile phone here for around 20 Euro.

4) Thailand is in general a lot safer than the western countries, don't worry. There is a few scams in Bangkok though, good idea indeed to buy the lonely planet travel guide and read up on it.

Once you come back from your holiday, you will have a good laugh re-reading this post you wrote. Have a nice trip!

Edited by keestha

Questions:

Hilarious - tuk-tuk driver kidapping us! Never heard that one before, where did you meet people who told you that? In your local bar back home full of drunken tales?

Serious. If you use your common sense, you shouldnt have any problem in Thailand whatsoever.

Hilarious - tuk-tuk driver kidapping us! Never heard that one before, where did you meet people who told you that? In your local bar back home full of drunken tales?

Serious. If you use your common sense, you shouldnt have any problem in Thailand whatsoever.

Although I thought it was happening to me the first time in Thailand. My plane arrived after midnight...midfield at Don Muang. We deplaned only to find ourselves surrounded by soldiers with machine guns. Then, on the way into the city the taxi driver drove into an underground garage. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Turned out the machine guns were because the airport was being secured due to the American Secretary of State landing just a few hours later. The trip into the underground garage -- a short cut.

Although not widespread, some stories have been reported in the Thai press. People have been 'delivered' in harms way. Happened to a Dutch guy I knew and his Thai girl friend .. robbery the apparent motive. His wife happened to carry a switchblade.

My point is, these things can happen and shouldn't be laughed off or scoffed at.

(pardon the split infinitives)

Questions:

I avoided Asia for years because I had the same language concerns. Ended up being a non-issue, particularly in tourist areas in Thailand, which you'll be in or around. Travel isn't hard. Although you should generally plan things at least a few days ahead to find the best values and stay on plan.

For your phone, I'm guesing you're American, so if you're on Tmobile or AT&T, you can get the phone unlocked and use a Thai sim card to get a local number. If not, you can buy a cheap used phone in Thailand.

For scams/things to be aware of, they're usually more annoying than dangerous. For example, at the airport, the first people offering taxis in the airport are really offering a car service. Usually a nicer car, but you'll pay twice as much or more as a regular taxi. It won't be an outrageous price compared to a taxi in the US, just more than you'd maybe want to pay. Maybe $15-$25 to downtown, but a regular taxi is maybe $10 including the tollway and a nice tip. To get those you just keep walking to the curb. Take the bus and it's $4, but takes longer.

Not sure where you're from, but you don't need to be inner-city street smart to get by. Just a normal level of caution is fine. Don't carry a big fat wallet with all your money and credit cards. Don't flash money around. Don't leave valuable things laying arond your hotel room. Sound like common sense? If so, you should be fine.

The way I look at it, if you could only learn about your home town from the evening news, how concerned would you be about going there? Bad news get's a disproportionate share of the coverage as it does here.