Chainsaws Not Legal In Thailand

I have an opp to buy a like-new 2nd hand chainsaw from someone in Bkk.

I've heard it's illegal to have one in Thailand, but is there some sort of permit that might be gotten?

I plan to just take down dead trees on my property, as well as some brushing work. I've worked with c.saws years earlier, so the safety issue is not major - though I reckon the reason they're illegal here is Thais would go blotto cutting down everything in sight.

I have an opp to buy a like-new 2nd hand chainsaw from someone in Bkk.

I've heard it's illegal to have one in Thailand, but is there some sort of permit that might be gotten?

I plan to just take down dead trees on my property, as well as some brushing work. I've worked with c.saws years earlier, so the safety issue is not major - though I reckon the reason they're illegal here is Thais would go blotto cutting down everything in sight.

I'm not sure on the legal issue but have seen them for sale at a large tool store in CM, so I would think you could also find a shop that sells them in BKK and be able to find out if you need a permit and how to get one if you do. As for myself I brought one from the states and when the immigration officer in BKK looked at it the only thing he was concerned about was if it was brand new so he could charge me some duty on it.

I looked up the link for the survival 'pocket' chain saw - looks cool.

As I'll be using a real chainsaw on rather remote areas, I doubt anyone will call the cops on me. My Thai neighbors don't like me (because I complain about their dogs barking), but I'll make sure to use my saw when they're away.

If I get confronted by cops, I can try;

A. being dumb (not difficult) and then

B. telling them I thought the ban only applied to logging - which I'm obviously not doing.

If all else fails, I'll drop names of their superior officers and other untouchable VIP's. Just kidding, but as we know, dropping names works like a charm here.

Edited by brahmburgers

Hi guys 

I think it comes down to illegal logging practices as to the reason . I intend to bring one similar to this with me next year survival chainsaw

I realise it's not the same but it sure beats a machete !!

Jandtaa

Hmmmmm!! Either illegal logging or mad housewives going after their CHEATING Husbands and the most HATED women in the land of smiles, aka., Mia NOIs :o:D:D

Edited by BigSnake

I find it strange reading the linked topic, that they paid to have the trees cut down. When we have had trees cut down in 2 cases they paid us for the tree, and in another as it was a favour he just kept the tree. Well it was leaning on the house. :o

Yes permit,

I have one from the equivalent in Thai being ‘Forestry department’ which I believe to be legal.

We registered our chainsaw at Roi-et to a cost of 800 bht Five years ago, two-weeks later the phone rang, arrived back in to town to receive document. Simple as that, every year we receive a letter and are required to bring into town they check numbers etc take photo adjust document.

Small fee here around 40bht and away we go, you tell me I get the thumbs up, so away I go.

There is a lot of confusion with regards to petrol saws, added with village stories and it is pretty well summed up, but the bottom line is this permit is only creatable being used on your own land.

Stealing jungle wood or letting the brother in-law borrow would run in to complications.

Hope this helps

Ps. I walked into town’s cop-shop and asked years back they pointed me in the right direction as most folks were to scared to even talk about it go figure.

Regards

C-sip

Hi guys

I think it comes down to illegal logging practices as to the reason . I intend to bring one similar to this with me next year survival chainsaw

Jandtaa

that thing looks interesting.

if it is as effective as they claim i might get a few (they would make good gifts).

We have several people who want to cut trees for free. They make charcoal with the wood. As long as they clean up the branches and twigs, they are welcome to them.

I'm not sure on the legal issue but have seen them for sale at a large tool store in CM, so I would think you could also find a shop that sells them in BKK and be able to find out if you need a permit and how to get one if you do. As for myself I brought one from the states and when the immigration officer in BKK looked at it the only thing he was concerned about was if it was brand new so he could charge me some duty on it.

What large tool store in CM are you refering to please? Don

I was in 'Do Home' today and they sell 2 'Brand Name' petrol chainsaws.

A guy was cutting trees, near to where I live, with a 'Matika' electric saw, with a one metre blade the other day. I also see them in many tool suppliers.

Where is 'Do Home'? I've never heard of it. And what brand name were the saws? Thanks, don

Make sure of where you cut trees down. I'm sure that the cutting of trees on Sor Por Kor land is banned. Chainsaw or no.....

Be that as it may, and a lot of the land around here is Sor Por Kor. It has rubber on, and even houses. No one gets evicted.

A guy was cutting trees, near to where I live, with a 'Matika' electric saw, with a one metre blade the other day. I also see them in many tool suppliers.

Where is 'Do Home'? I've never heard of it. And what brand name were the saws? Thanks, don

Drtreelove

I'm not sure of the spelling of any of these names but here goes, the wife thinks the name of the store is Montree Mechanix and its located on the corner of the intersection of Kwansing and the road to Ratchabaht Chiang Mai University.

The 'Do Home' I'm refering to is about 10km south of Korat. It's a very big store and I can't see it as being a one off. The chainsaws I looked at had a bar(cutting length) of about 300mm, but that's extendable by buying a longer bar and chain.

Hello drtreelove, I went to DoHome Korat to day, the have another store in Ubon. The store here is bigger than San Carlos Home Depot by a football field. Behind the store is a warehouse with a 10 bay loading dock to pick up large items.

The first time I saw the saws, they looked like my Stihl(same colors), but they are Amato??? The 38(STD) is Bt.10,080 and the ATSC-2500 is Bt.7,322. The 38 is the size of the 031-041 Stihl, the 2500 more the size of a small 10-2" bared Homelight<sp>.

I didn't have my Thai language hardware handy, so no other info at this time, I didn't ask about saw laws either?

DoHome is about 2km past the 224/226 junction going SE on 224, I'm out 4-5km on 226.

rice555

Drtreelove

I'm not sure of the spelling of any of these names but here goes, the wife thinks the name of the store is Montree Mechanix and its located on the corner of the intersection of Kwansing and the road to Ratchabaht Chiang Mai University.

Thanks to Rice and Cov on Do Home, but none in Chiang Mai that I know about.

Wagner thanks, I went into Montree's at Kwang Singh intersection yesterday and they had one model, a small Makita with a 12 inch bar for 11,500. It's a rear handle model, not too heavy. I would consider using it as a climbing, small limbing saw; beats the electric McCullough that I borrow from my friend now. The shop next door had a catalog with Stihl saws, a 20 inch was 16,500. The DoHome selection and price sounds better.

At least chainsaws are showing up in the shops now; they weren't a few years ago. Although I have mixed feelings about getting them in the hands of locals; the trees can't run away. I'm kicking myself for not bringing my Huskys last trip, but wasn't sure what to expect. I was already setting off metal detectors with my new cobalt-chrome knees, and having two mt bikes in luggage was getting scrutinized too. don

Nope - they not illegal guys - you can buy and sell a chainsaw, but you must register it.

One reason for this is an attempt to assign responsibility (to an individual) when raids take place and illegaly logged timber is found - with chainsaws.

Its a rule that has been difficult to enforce - primarily because, not withstanding wheather or not the chainsaw is regsieterd, the point remains that if illegal timber is found, the saw is going to be confiscated in any event.

That said , there are areas in which chainsaws are not permitted e.g. national parks and certain conservation areas, as well as many of the border areas - if you live in these sorts of areas, then registeration is not possible and pocession is an offence.

Make sure of where you cut trees down. I'm sure that the cutting of trees on Sor Por Kor land is banned. Chainsaw or no.....

Be that as it may, and a lot of the land around here is Sor Por Kor. It has rubber on, and even houses. No one gets evicted.

Rubber trees are seen as an agricultural crop and have to be felled and pruned as per the likes of 'cassarva' plants. Houses are also permitted on Sor Por Kor land, but they must be of a wooden structure, by law. Concrete structures are illegal, but as to the government enforcing this law, that's up to them. I live on 'chanote' land. Always cover your arse.

Hi guys 

I think it comes down to illegal logging practices as to the reason . I intend to bring one similar to this with me next year survival chainsaw

Jandtaa

Hi Jandtaa

A year ago I bought a mini chain saw for pruning purposes (20 cm sword on a 1.5 m pole) from a hardware shop in Wichianburi; has its own fuel/oil tank and cost not more than 7.500 Baht. Does a good job; no need for survival gear. I am sure it will be available in other hardware stores as well.

Wichianburi1

Hello drtreelove, I went to DoHome Korat to day, the have another store in Ubon. The store here is bigger than San Carlos Home Depot by a football field. Behind the store is a warehouse with a 10 bay loading dock to pick up large items.

The first time I saw the saws, they looked like my Stihl(same colors), but they are Amato??? The 38(STD) is Bt.10,080 and the ATSC-2500 is Bt.7,322. The 38 is the size of the 031-041 Stihl, the 2500 more the size of a small 10-2" bared Homelight<sp>.

I didn't have my Thai language hardware handy, so no other info at this time, I didn't ask about saw laws either?

DoHome is about 2km past the 224/226 junction going SE on 224, I'm out 4-5km on 226.

rice555

I think you mean Udon? :D

Haven't seen chainsaws for sale anywhere in Ubon area! :o

In our area, the emphasis seems to be on the tree and the lumber ,my next door neighbour is a timber merchant of sorts in that he buys logs and trees then has them broken down to manageable billets by a guy with an old Lightning model Stihl.

My neighbour then turns them into scantling using an oversized rip-snorter hand saw and makita planer, (circular saw benches are not allowed in the village).

He tells me that when he buys a tree he has to get the village boss to look at the tree in situ ,it is measured and the type and size and location is put in a book. Each log and the lumber it provides is kept separate and the police call in regularly to check on his stock and cross check against record book.

The legality of the saw is a bit sus judging by the efforts made to get it away out of sight after only a short time of use.

We are regularly kicked out of bed at sparrow fart (pre sunrise )by the screaming of his planer ,dressing planks for customers. AH, the joys of village living.

Hello burgen, thank you for the location correction, my translation hardware needs adjusting.

Maay be because the co's name is Ubonwatsadu. the Korat store close to me, the other store p/n 045-252-141 wherever that is? The logo is different than "DO", it's like a "W" in side a "U" for Ubonwatsadu.

rice555