Which Chiang Mai Venue Do You Miss The Most?

Scrubber

Just wanted to here about anyone's favourite place they used to hang out/eat/drink at in CM which is no longer here (or moved).

One of my favourite places used to be the soi (really a cul-de-sac) opposite Warm Up. Now you'll find 'Eat Me' restaurant there, but about six or seven years ago there were about eight small bars which were open all night (the good old days). Each one would be rammed full of students drinking and dancing (usually on the tables) to Thai pop and the occassional western song. This was also when Warm Up used to be on the other side of the river in a two-storey wooden house - the best venue for Warm Up in my opinion (and one of the owner's too, apparently).

I remember the old Warm Up as well. It is now Arcobelno the Italian restaurant. I used to love walking across the dance floor to the drinking area at the rear - always packed with young, beautiful, slim and super sexy Thai women. Real Thai women.

There was a slapper-bar area where the D2 car park is now; opposite Foxy Lady. I had some great fun with some of the working girls around there. They seemed more friendly and less mercenary than the other bar-beer areas. We used to have a couple of shots of lao kaow from the guy just around the corner from the bars which would set us up well for an evening of fun and games.

Also, I enjoyed Stairway to Heaven when it had the bar upstairs and girls 'performing'. The American owner was a bit of a perv but he created a great place for a few hours of sexy fun.

Another was the Bunny Club when it first opened and before the police murdered the German owner and took it over.

Edited by Loaded

The fish-bowl massage parlour behind the Night Bazzar where the slapper bar area was before the D2 parking lot. It burnt to the ground under strange circumstances.

What was Allen from Perth's place called - where the Mad Dog is now? Was it the Downunder? Rats everywhere, but some hot hostesses as well! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I remember the old Warm Up as well. It is now Arcobelno the Italian restaurant. I used to love walking across the dance floor to the drinking area at the rear - always packed with young, beautiful, slim and super sexy Thai women. Real Thai women.

There was a slapper-bar area where the D2 car park is now; opposite Foxy Lady. I had some great fun with some of the working girls around there. They seemed more friendly and less mercenary than the other bar-beer areas. We used to have a couple of shots of lao kaow from the guy just around the corner from the bars which would set us up well for an evening of fun and games.

Also, I enjoyed Stairway to Heaven when it had the bar upstairs and girls 'performing'. The American owner was a bit of a perv but he created a great place for a few hours of sexy fun.

Another was the Bunny Club when it first opened and before the police murdered the German owner and took it over.

I went into Arcobaleno restaurant a couple of years ago to see how the old Warm Up had been changed - I was almost in tears looking at the emptiness of the place and thinking about how it used to be...

I remember Stairway to Heaven - went there once or twice and enjoyed the shows.

The fish-bowl massage parlour behind the Night Bazzar where the slapper bar area was before the D2 parking lot. It burnt to the ground under strange circumstances.

What was Allen from Perth's place called - where the Mad Dog is now? Was it the Downunder? Rats everywhere, but some hot hostesses as well! :o

was it the overlander? a german owned before nick took a half share then he bought it outright and renamed maddog

was it the overlander? a german owned before nick took a half share then he bought it outright and renamed maddog

Yep, Overlander it was.

I've just remembered a couple more - Underworld (now Fashion under Kad Suan Kaew) when it used to be in the car park at Central Airport Plaza. Open until about five in the morning, dance music, everybody off their t*ts - great stuff.

Redbug - used to be on the south-west corner of the moat, opposite Suan Prung hospital. Two floors, always busy and great fun. The building's still there, but I think it's empty.

Yes, before the German and before him another guy named Allen owned it - an Aussie and an American as partners - Allen from Perth had it before all of them.

Yep, that was a good place for a no hassle semi-sleazy drink!

The Overlander

The old Laughing Leprechaun.

I don't miss the owner as I'm lucky enough to count him amongst my friends and still see him, a lovely bloke and he knew how to take care of his Guinness as well as producing some gorgeous food, the Steak and Guinness pie and the full on breakfasts are legend on my waistline! Definitely deserving of a place on the Most Missed List.

In a perverse way I kind of miss the old Spicey when it was pretty much open air (where Jackies van etc now resides) - a contender for the worst toilets on the planet but excellent entertainment for people watchers with a yearning to witness daylight return over the night's final beer!

JxP

Just wanted to here about anyone's favourite place they used to hang out/eat/drink at in CM which is no longer here (or moved). ... snip ...

Hi Khun Scrubber,

Well, I'll never forget Organ Transplant Bingo nights at the old Watermelon Belly Bar off Lowly Kraw. Watching the midget bouncer from Udon Thani throw some two-meter-plus German drunkard down the stairs was always good for a laugh.

And where else in Thailand ever served the "Funky Cold Medina" using Tone Loc's own secret recipe ?

~o:37;

At least there are a few old timers that remember the real old places.

My Place and Karen Hut were amoungst my regulars in the early to mid 1980' along with The Pub under Nigel and Darunee who then sold to Peter Bachman and Nai. It's changed hands a dozen times since then but at least it's still going.

Fun days with not too many wangkers hanging around back then. Times change.

My Place and Karen Hut were amoungst my regulars in the early to mid 1980' along with The Pub under Nigel and Darunee who then sold to Peter Bachman and Nai. It's changed hands a dozen times since then but at least it's still going.

Was My Place the one in Chaiyaphum? I seem to remember having had fun there, too...

/ Priceless

and of course Daniel's Bar - one of the first bars on Loi Kroh. Peter the Brit - a good friend of mine - drank himself to death, right next to it was Moos Blues - with the biggest burgers I have ever seen!! Then just around the corner used to be a wierd place that served all kinds of exotic "forest food" from snakes to ...youdon'twonnaknow.......and then there was Rod-Ong and Oaktree both open 24 hours.........saw the monks walking and then the sun rising many times in both places......and of course corner bar which had only a few barstools on the sidewalk and just enough space for the two lasses that ran the placce behind the counter.

And then of course - Cateye in Santitham - started to get going at 2 am - my bike was often the last one parked outfront at 6.30 am - and in those days there was usualy a friendly policeman - moonshining as a security guard - around to help me on it after he started it for me.

Those where the days my friends!!!

The Rim Ping supermarket near the Novotel Hotel.

OK, have a laugh, but who said this thread has to be about nightlife?

The Novotel off Chang Puek has changed hands recently. The Rim Ping closed a couple years ago and was bought by Tops. They reopened, but it isn't the same supermarket.

There is more to Chiang Mai than bars, burgers and bargirls!

Was My Place the one in Chaiyaphum? I seem to remember having had fun there, too...

/ Priceless

That's the one Priceless. Back in the early 1980's.

The Rim Ping supermarket near the Novotel Hotel.

OK, have a laugh, but who said this thread has to be about nightlife?

The Novotel off Chang Puek has changed hands recently. The Rim Ping closed a couple years ago and was bought by Tops. They reopened, but it isn't the same supermarket.

There is more to Chiang Mai than bars, burgers and bargirls!

How about the Nang Nual fish and seafood restaurant, which was on the river just beyond the Riverside Condo and Holiday Inn.

Also The Wok Restaurant - Ratchamanka Road