Nasty Computer Virus

FarangCravings

Can any one reccomend someone in Chiang Mai that can remove a virus from my laptop I have tried 3 different anit virus softwares with no joy it keeps coming back its a root kit Agent Gen soft V and apparently has to be removed manually which is beyond my computer skills

any reccomedations

thanks in advance

Can any one reccomend someone in Chiang Mai that can remove a virus from my laptop I have tried 3 different anit virus softwares with no joy it keeps coming back its a root kit Agent Gen soft V and apparently has to be removed manually which is beyond my computer skills

any reccomedations

thanks in advance

Hi Khun FarangCravings,

You may get more specific responses if you specify the exact OS and OS version you are running (I'm assuming you are running some flavour of Windows).

Assuming Windows : have you tried booting up in "Safe Mode" and then running AVG or other major-horsepower malware-killers ? Making no assumptions : I encourage anyone I know here to have a purchased copy of their anti-virus software no matter what else they do.

good luck, ~o:37;

any reccomedations

thanks in advance

Hi Khun FarangCravings,

You may get more specific responses if you specify the exact OS and OS version you are running (I'm assuming you are running some flavour of Windows).

Assuming Windows : have you tried booting up in "Safe Mode" and then running AVG or other major-horsepower malware-killers ? Making no assumptions : I encourage anyone I know here to have a purchased copy of their anti-virus software no matter what else they do.

good luck, ~o:37;

The virus might be lurking in your system restore? Virus checkers can't access this area to clean. You might want to try turning off your system restore then rerunning a virus checker(s). You can always turn Sys restore on afterwards if it's important to you.

Aitch

You can give this guy a call, he's got me out of trouble often. He speaks very good English.

Suchart 0895563931

Good luck :o

K. Suchart very capable. I've been using him for better than 6 years now. His prices have gone up considerably since I started recommending him to other farangs, but still pretty reasonable.

Before I move this to Computers (where it should be; will leave a link here)-

I can recommend 2 apps for your specific problem:

Panda Anti-Rootkit (v1.08.00)

File ASSASSIN (v1.06)

Google them; freeware.

I run AVG and Clamwin AV, as well as the (weak) Windows Defender anti-spyware and the very weak Windows firewall.

Used to use Ad-Aware anti-spyware/malware, but their updates started to hang on my slow connection, so I gave them the boot.

Good Luck!

Dr Web Cureit! Its free and has helped in many cases where other software did not succeed

http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/

Tried to donwload this and it downloaded in Thai even though I chose the english option

Are your country settings/language settings THAI? That might be the reason. I am based in Thailand and I never got that stuff downloaded in Thai.

So it can't be your IP address.

Guest Reimar
Time to consider an Apple Mac? no viruses there. :D

:o:D :D

And than the question came up: Why there exist Anti-Virus Software with nearly daily updates since 1988? Virex for example and many others!

Get real!!

Guest Reimar
Dr Web Cureit! Its free and has helped in many cases where other software did not succeed

http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/

Tried to donwload this and it downloaded in Thai even though I chose the english option

Are your country settings/language settings THAI? That might be the reason. I am based in Thailand and I never got that stuff downloaded in Thai.

So it can't be your IP address.

I was just starting to download the latest version. Will place on TV Download after and send an PM to the OP so he can download the eng. version from TV.

any reccomedations

thanks in advance

Norton/Symantec (http://www.symantec.com/security_response/...-99&tabid=3) says the following

Discovered: July 11, 2005Updated: February 13, 2007 12:42:03 PM this means Norton Internet Security includes catching/preventing/deleing occurences

Also Known As: Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Agent., W32/Mytob.gen@MM [McAfee], W32/Mytob-DJ [sophos], WORM_MYTOB.HP [Trend Micro]

Type: WormSystems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

The web site continues with removal instructions, which you may find easy enough to do if you do it very slowly and carefully. Or use it as a reference to discuss with whom ever you select to clean your system. If they want to do something different, you might ask why and see if it makes sense to you. If nothing else, this web page will give you a little knowledge (even though they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing).

Edited by noise

• 2 months later...
:D I think that your laptop contains harmful rootkits. Rootkits are not detected by most of the anti viruses. :) But they are powerful than almost all viruses. It can hide a running process (its own process) and hide from the antivirus softwares. For removing rootkit you must have a good rootkit software. I recomment you to use rootkit revealer which is a small application of a few kbs. I have uploaded a copy here or can be downloaded from filehippo.com. If you want more details about rootkits visit: :D creatingcomputervirus.blogspot.com :D