Visa Run Without Cancelling The Old Work Permit.

I've been working in Thailand for about a year. I have a valid work permit that expires at the end of next month. I intend to change jobs starting May.My previous employer has not yet cancelled my work permit, although I'm no longer working there. I was made aware that I have to exit Thailand to acquire a new Non-Immigrant 'B' Visa in so as to facilitate obtaining a new Work Permit with my prospective employer.

Does anyone know if it is wrong to obtain a new Non-Immigrant 'B' Visa using another company without your previous company cancelling your Work permit?

Will Immigration ask for the 'letter from the Labour department stating that I have cancelled my Work Permit'?

Your advice will be highly appreciated.

Will Immigration ask for the 'letter from the Labour department stating that I have cancelled my Work Permit'?

You will not be applying to Immigration for a new visa.

You will be applying at the Embassy/Consulate.

Work permits are usually linked to your current extension of stay.

So I would think that your work permit expires on the same day as you visa?

I hope you already have the new job organised?

As you will need papers from the new employer in order to apply for a new B visa.

Otherwise you should get a Tourist visa to tide you over until May and the new job.

To obtained a non immigrant B visa in the local area Consulate will require a work permit application receipt; believe the old one may have to be canceled first (especially if in same area).

Thanks Lop Buri. Does this apply if my current employer has got all my papers ready to make a visa run for a new visa?

Work permits are usually linked to your current extension of stay.

So I would think that your work permit expires on the same day as you visa?

I hope you already have the new job organised?

As you will need papers from the new employer in order to apply for a new B visa.

Thanks a bunch Astral.

I do have my new job organised with all my paperwork ready. What's missing is a letter of cancellation of my current work permit as I'm not in a position to obtain it at the moment.

Is there any harm cancelling my WP after I obtain a new Non Immigration B Visa through a different employer?