Rat's Lovers

I am a rat keeper myself and rats are the definitely the best pet that I've ever kept. Rats are extremely intelligent creatures. There are even experiments that show how rats have the potential to be even more smarter than dogs. Anyone out there keeping rats as pets?

In Thailand? A pet rat? You'll have the neighbours up in arms if you live in an apt. or condo. I have no quarrel with the varmints just that they are inappropriate here considering the nature of domestic staff (and or thai partner). Aside from the emo/goth segment they'll think you're mad.

In Thailand? A pet rat? You'll have the neighbours up in arms if you live in an apt. or condo. I have no quarrel with the varmints just that they are inappropriate here considering the nature of domestic staff (and or thai partner). Aside from the emo/goth segment they'll think you're mad.

But very tasty curried so I've been told.

I've been a fancy rat fan for years. Had a few back home, love the hooded. Unfortunatley in Thailand rats are considered as food or vermin, depending on where they're from.

That and the fact that you just can't get fancy rats here, everything else yes, wild rabid sewer rats bigger than your average dog, yes. Fat, white and cute, yes people will think your a little strange.

Forgot to add, BBQ rat tastes really good!!

Edited by RoadRash

I've been a fancy rat fan for years. Had a few back home, love the hooded. Unfortunatley in Thailand rats are considered as food or vermin, depending on where they're from.

That and the fact that you just can't get fancy rats here, everything else yes, wild rabid sewer rats bigger than your average dog, yes. Fat, white and cute, yes people will think your a little strange.

Forgot to add, BBQ rat tastes really good!!

I usually take a ride around our village at teatime, and I saw some cages at the side of a new house being built, I thought they may of been chickens as the wife wanted a few, I approached a guy living in a tin shed who apparently looked after the house, in fact looking in the cage he had 6/7 big fat black rats and he said they would be taken to another province where they eat them, maybe 75baht each he reckoned,UGH

BBQ rat is like a mild tasting rabbit, white, fat free meat. Only eat field rats though, they live on a diet of rice and fruit and are very delicious. Wouldn't curry them though, ruins the flavour. A little nam jim, not to spicy, and some sticky rice :o:D

Edited by RoadRash