Suvarnabhumi Airport Duty Free Shopping

Hi,

I am traveling to Bangkok next month, but not familiar with the new airport. I want to buy cosmetics for my mom and sisters (expensive items), and i don't think the on-flight duty-free has good selection, or good prices (because the King Dusty free member card offers some discount).

My question:

- Is it possible to get to duty-free shopping area of the Suvarnabhumi airport after my plane lands? I presume I should do this prior to reaching the immigration checkpoint. A direction/instruction to get to Duty-free from Arrival gate would be appreciated.

- Should I just buy everything at departing US airport instead? Does anyone happen to know which will likely be better prices?

Thanks very much.

There's Duty Free counters in the concourse before you get to the Immigration and also after in the baggage collection hall. They don't have a very large selection of stuff in the baggage hall though, they are however generally cheaper than in the departures DF.

My missus tells me that cosmetics are expensive in the DF at Bangkok Airport and she won't buy stuff there.

Take note! Duty free but with high rental charges and margin will not ensure goods are being sold at low prices.

Check and see if the same items are being sold at cheaper prices in downtown department stores. Then, you will wise up the 2nd time round.

I'm not positive, but I think duty free is for outgoing passengers only.

I recently purchased something there and they asked to see my ticket/boarding pass.

I bought a liter of Kahlua at duty free.

Around 680 baht for the liter.

Lotus, and other retailers, sell a 750 ml bottle for about 940 baht.

Almost 300 baht cheaper for a bigger bottle at the airport.

My only regret is that I didn't buy 2 bottles.

Outbound from HK I did buy two bottles. A bit more expensive than BKK df, but still cheaper than retail.

Take note! Duty free but with high rental charges and margin will not ensure goods are being sold at low prices.

Check and see if the same items are being sold at cheaper prices in downtown department stores. Then, you will wise up the 2nd time round.

I don't know why peopel are sucked in by this duty free boloney what they give yoiu in one hand they take away in another as previous poster suggested.

Duty free shops were great a few years ago but most goods can be purchased at Department Stores in most major cities far cheaper. I priced quite a few things ,having nothing better to do while waiting for a flight recently, and checked them when I got back. My purchases saved me a min 10% at the DS.They are there because they make big money even allowing for inflated rents. Goes right down to a humble cup of coffee or a sandwich.

• 2 weeks later...

i noticed alcohol are usually cheaper by at least 15-20%, whereas the rest of the stuff are overpriced. Cosmetics are more expensive by around 20%, I bought a dior perfume for my gf at the duty free it costs $80, the duty free on the plane had it for $60!

Not sure if you can buy after you land, you will pass the counter so you can just ask the lady. I know for some countries you can buy after you land, such as Taiwan.

<br />Yes you can buy after you land, there are DF counters in the baggage halls as well as in the concourse from the 'plane to the immigration halls.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

In Bangkok Airport pasenger can move between Depurture and Arrival areas without restrictions;it was always this way.You can shop till you drop!Do not forget about your luggage waiting!

Agree with the poster who said airport "duty free" shops are a crock! I too can't believe anyone still falls for this con-game anymore. It's no wonder that up till the recent recession/depression, Duty Free Shops (or it's parent company) was one of the best performing stocks around. (Do you think they got that way by selling you stuff cheap?)

With all the globalization over the years and the WTO rules on import taxes and tariffs, most imported goods in a particular country are not very heavily taxed (sometimes no tax) to begin, with so there is little or no duty to be saved by buying them at an airport "duty-free" shop vs. at a non-airport retailer. The only area where there are still savings is on alcohol and tobacco products. These are substantially cheaper at airport duty-free shops, but your saving is limited by the limit of 1 litre on booze and 250 fags (1 carton) per person on entry.

Let me add that there is some exception for cosmetics/perfumes in the WTO rules, as the international brands are much more expensive in Thailand than Stateside. As a "luxury" item, they are heavily taxed and you will definitely save a bundle by buying them before you get to Thailand.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

They ask to see your boarding pass at the inbound DF also.

Thanks for the info about HK DF, I'll be going there for Songkran so will make sure I get 2 bottles on the way out rather than wait until coming back in.

Be careful as you will be over your limit and customs at swampy are pretty hot these days

Thanks everyone for sharing.

I hardly shop at airports ever, so very little idea if any good deals. just thought that the ~8% Tax + ~15% King card discount (i think), should easily make'em cheap. It's possible these discounts are already priced in beforehand. guess I'd better check out cosmetics counter at the mall instead (hate those costmetics sections at mall).

Beware!!

There are now no tobacco products that can be bought on arrival at DF in BKK airport,picked my niece up on Monday,the cigars i ordered were nowhere to be seen,she said that they told her you cant buy on arrival now,only on departure,you also cant buy alcohol at BKK if you are flying to Perth or Doha,but these airports have no problem selling it at their DF shops on departure to BKK !!!

PS: You are only allowed 1 bottle of wine or spirits into BKK.