Blackberry 9000 - Bold

whatchamacallit

I am thinking of buying a Blackberry 9000 BOLD online (Amazon.com) and my friend will bring it over from America when he comes next month. I believe you have to buy the unlocked version - my question is:

Will it work here in Thailand??? :D:o please advice........

Edited by whatchamacallit

At least partially, yes. The phone and sms will work. For the browser and data services, very likely. AIS sells the Bold so it should work fine on AIS. Thai is not provided by RIM, so AIS has this 3rd party software. Seems to require a monthly fee, but I'm not sure. Go to the Thai-G software link at this site:

http://www.smartsolutions.ais.co.th/Downlo...px?pid=Software

I used an 8320 Curve with a prepaid AIS sim and it worked because AIS also sells that model. The service books downloaded automatically. The browser worked as well. Because the email is set up on my US account I didn't try that, but it might work on pre-paid. Definitely should work fine on post paid.

Here's an announcement of the Bold's release on AIS

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/11/18...gy_30088752.php

One thing you will have to do is set the APN to the AIS one so that you can use the Google Maps app and other data dependent applications other than the BB ones.

Options > Advanced Options > TCP

Then enter the AIS APN which I think is

Thailand

Operator: AIS

GPRS APN Name internet

Username: ais Password: ais

Or it might be wap with no user name and password. Or maybe just AIS. Google around for it. I managed to find it.

THe basic call and pick up will work, as long as your phone is not locked to use certain operators. As for the messaging and other VIA operater applications there will be an excess fee of about 750 baht per month.

THe basic call and pick up will work, as long as your phone is not locked to use certain operators. As for the messaging and other VIA operater applications there will be an excess fee of about 750 baht per month.

Thank you guys for your replies - Just what I'd like to hear :o