Getting Married In Thailand

Hi all

I've posted recently about another topic and hoped someone would know the answers to the following.

I am getting married in Thailand in March this year and I have been finding out about what is required for legal purposes. This is how I understand it, please correct me if I am off course;

[1] Fill out a an " affirmation of freedom to marry " form and then have it signed by a British Consular in the British Embassy Bangkok.

[2] This form needs to be translated into Thai and taken to The Legalisation & Naturalisation Division, 123 Chaeng Wattana Road, BKK and authenticated by them.

[3] Then submit the translated form to a Registrar. The original English written form will have the British Consular's signature on it so it seems I would hand in both language forms ?

I am not planning to live in Thailand, my Fiancee is planning to live with me in the UK, do I still have to carry out the above three points so that the Thai marriage is legal ? It seems that I will bring the English written form with me to Thailand and do the above points a few days before the Wedding ? Or can I email the form to my Fiancee in Thailand and she can take it round to the relevant people so as to save time ?

Thanking you for any advice.

Regards

Clive Sorts

Hi all

I've posted recently about another topic and hoped someone would know the answers to the following.

I am getting married in Thailand in March this year and I have been finding out about what is required for legal purposes. This is how I understand it, please correct me if I am off course;

[1] Fill out a an " affirmation of freedom to marry " form and then have it signed by a British Consular in the British Embassy Bangkok. 

[2] This form needs to be translated into Thai and taken to The Legalisation & Naturalisation Division, 123 Chaeng Wattana Road, BKK and authenticated by them.

[3] Then submit the translated form to a Registrar. The original English written form will have the British Consular's signature on it so it seems I would hand in both language forms ?

I am not planning to live in Thailand, my Fiancee is planning to live with me in the UK, do I still have to carry out the above three points so that the Thai marriage is legal ?  It seems that I will bring the English written form with me to Thailand and do the above points a few days before the Wedding ?  Or can I email the form to my Fiancee in Thailand and she can take it round to the relevant people so as to save time ?

Thanking you for any advice.

Regards

Clive Sorts

Divorce or death certificate if applicable. Otherwise you are on track. Good luck. :o

Am sure you have to appear before British official so she could not do for you. And yes, if you want to marry in Thailand you must do it.

If you do not have requirement to marry here in a legal fashion - take wife to UK on finance (settlement I believe you call it) visa then you could have wedding party here and avoid registration of marriage - doing that in the UK later. Do not know if there would be any difference in visa waiting period.

If you marry here she should probably also have her name change on her local ID card and in home register and passport so allow for that also.

You do know that there will be a delay getting visa? Not a buy and take type operation for immigrant visas. :o

The form will be the original, translation and a registration number that the District Office can cite and confirm you have registered (there will be a copy held at MFA).

You'll need to come in person if you wish to marry in Thailand, because you'll have to sign documents at the registrar (amphur office). I don't think anybody has mentioned it, but if you plan to live in U.K, get a certified translation of the Thai marriage certificate at the U.K embassy.

I am not planning to live in Thailand, my Fiancee is planning to live with me in the UK, do I still have to carry out the above three points so that the Thai marriage is legal ?  It seems that I will bring the English written form with me to Thailand and do the above points a few days before the Wedding ?  Or can I email the form to my Fiancee in Thailand and she can take it round to the relevant people so as to save time ?

Keep in mind that in Thailand, the wedding ceremony and the legal registration at the Amphur are completely separate and you can do one or the other or both (at seperate time, there is no ceremony at the Amphur office). Of course, in order to be a legal marriage you must register at the Amphur, but you do not have to have a wedding ceremony. Conversely you can just have the ceremony which carries no legal ramifications, but satisfies family obligations.

TH

Also, there are services that will take care of it all for you. This is what I did, and it cost me 7k baht all up, everything from start to finish took about 3 hours (money well spent in my eyes, but each to their own) however you will still need the affidavit stating your are free to marry.

Thank you everyone for your good advice.

My Fiancee is in the process of applying for a settlement visa for the UK, is it more benificial for us ( for the visa application ) to have the full legal marriage in thailand as opposed to just having the Religious ceremony and party etc...

Does the Embassy look more favourably at applicants who are legally married in Thailand first before they get married in the UK ?

Thank you

Clive Sorts

My Fiancee is in the process of applying for a settlement visa for the UK,  is it more benificial for us ( for the visa application ) to have the full legal marriage in thailand as opposed to just having the Religious ceremony and party etc...

Does the Embassy look more favourably at applicants who are legally married in Thailand first before they get married in the UK ?   

Thank you

Clive Sorts

Hi Clive,

Whether you are married or not and, if so, where you married makes no difference to the overall outcome of the visa application. If the applicant satisfies the rules then they get the visa.

Scouse.

My Fiancee is in the process of applying for a settlement visa for the UK,  is it more benificial for us ( for the visa application ) to have the full legal marriage in thailand as opposed to just having the Religious ceremony and party etc...

Thank you

Clive Sorts

Once you are legally married in Thailand i.e registered at amphur, the marriage is legally recognised in the u.k - that's is why i suggested you get a certified translation of thai marriage certificate to take to the u.k - so there is no need to marry again in the u.k. Consequently, i would imagine that it is looked upon more favourably by the embassy.

Also, there are services that will take care of it all for you. This is what I did, and it cost me 7k baht all up, everything from start to finish took about 3 hours (money well spent in my eyes, but each to their own) however you will still need the affidavit stating your are free to marry.

Gotta agree with Reith, if you've got the cash use a servive for this. We used a translation service and everything done in one day, one stop shop, hassle free. :o

Thanks guys, I will take that info onboard.

Regards

Clive sorts

Gotta agree with Reith, if you've got the cash use a servive for this. We used a translation service and everything done in one day, one stop shop, hassle free. :o

My first post but thought I would add my advice as I got married last July and my thai wife is now living with me in the uk. Reading posts on this forum certainly helped me last summer when trying to get my wife back.

I used an agency just down the road from the embassy and it cost me approx 8000 baht, everything sorted in about 4 hours. If you try to do it yourself it will take a few days and probably cost 8k in taxi's, hotel rooms etc if you dont know what your doing. Get it sorted same day and leave the rest of your visit sorting visa or chilling away from bangkok.

Once married, I applied for a family visitors visa so that she could come home with me straight away. Applying for a settlement visa meant she would have to wait 3 months for interview. We got the 6 month family visa and then we applied for settlement visa from the uk via courier. We asked the embassy to arrange interview date whilst we were back in thailand on holiday over christmas. All went well and she got settlement visa.

What exactly does this service include?

I myself just thai-ed the knot and so want to get things organised as fast as possible. I have to get the affirmation, then get it translated befroe going to an amphur office right? Then afte that, take the marriage certificate and get it translated in order to hand it to the british embassy when applying for the settlement visa. Am I right so far? Anything I'm forgetting ir seem to be misunderstanding?

I just really don't want to run ito that annoying (typical thailand) situation of going to the office, then they say I need something from some other office. I go there, they tell me I should have got something from the first office etc. etc.

Insert:

[-1] Apply for a settlement visa at least 3 months before you intend to marry. (This time may be shortened if your fiancee has already been turned down for a visotor's visa.) Explain in the application that you intend to be married by the time of the interview.

[0] When offered an interview date, negotiate one for after the marriage registration at the amphur. Allow time for the marriage certificate to be translated.

Why pay an agency 5-10k to translate a couple of documents?

Wifey took freedom to marry doc to a translator and paid 250Bht. After the amphur took marriage doc to same translator and paid 200BHt, nice discount!

Believe me, no need for an agency.

In stages

1. Download and edit the details of This Document to suit your details.

2. Take that document and your Passport to the Consular Section of the British Embassy (up the stairs, take a number from the machine and wait your turn).... do not sign the document until you are at the counter.

3. Pay the fee (appx Bt 2,500 depending on exchange rate)

4. Collect the Consular stamped and signed document the next day (they will not do a same day service now, no matter how much you plead)

5. Take the document to a translation agency and get it translated.

6. Then take it to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for their stamp of approval. (currently you can pay Bt 200 and collect it two days later, pay Bt400 and collect next day or Bt 800 and collect in about 3 hours)

7. Go to an Amphur and get married.

8. Go back to the translation agency and have the marriage certificates translated into English.

You can do it yourself easily in two days... but on the second of those days, you will be busy (with moments of mind numbing boredom)

I've been married twice in Thailand (I know... born stupid :o ) the first time I used an agency to sort it out, the second time I did it myself... but there were moments the second time when I seriously thought just slipping someone some cash to do it for me would have been much easier.

P.S. .... even if you do use an agency you have to do 1,2,3,4 yourself (or with someone holding your hand) .... you have to sign the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry in person and in the sight of a consular official.

Information was correct on 22nd Dec 2004 ...... but hey :D

I was hoping to do most of the paperwork when I come next month ready for when I married later in the year. Is this ok or is there any time limits on this stuff?

So far this lot has fried the brain and the Vodka bottle is empty!!!!

Have not noticed any but seem to recall someone mentioning a month or something one time. I would try to make it current if doing upcountry where it would be a problem if not accepted. I know mine was many months early and was carefully checked by district before acceptance.