Touring Isan For A Week, Got Any Advise?

ozsamurai

Decided to venture out of the big smoke for a trip into Isan, stops along the way are Surin, Maha Sarakham, Khorat and anything else. Any reccomends for cheap places to stay, what to eat, where to drink etc.. all welcome.. leaving Friday..

Oz

Decided to venture out of the big smoke for a trip into Isan, stops along the way are Surin, Maha Sarakham, Khorat and anything else. Any reccomends for cheap places to stay, what to eat, where to drink etc.. all welcome.. leaving Friday..

Oz

Rim Bueng Hotel Khon Kaen, (Lakeside Hotel) Book a superior room overlooking the lake Google them. I lives there 9 months. Great place if you get a lakeside view. Enjoy.

We stayed at the Thong tarin in Surin, I think 1000bht, not a bad spot, right next to all the bars and clubs, a must is to check out is the Tawan Deng, its a club alongside the Thong tarin a really great night out, traditional Thai club. Would suggest checking out the farang connection site, also outside of Surin there is a large lake, fishing restaraunts etc apparently really nice but we ran out of time.

In Korat try the Raya Grande Hotel in Sueb Siri. Rooms are 650 Baht inc breakfast.

It is a little out of town but has a nice farang bar, Sports and Cocktail, just up the road and Korat's best Coyote style bar 2Peace in walking distance.

Thanks all, looks like Sarakhma got 86'd, but the Surin hotel sounds good thanks rick. So sounds like day one is sorted, bus up, drink at the Farang connection and then onto Thong Tarin and some R&R, noice!!

Oz

This is from a report I did years ago of a bike tour to Surin and Si Sa Ket:

"The other "must see" sight whilst in the region (Si Sa Ket) is the view from on top of the cliff Pha Mor-Edaeng, at Khao Phra Wihan. This was certainly the highlight of the trip for me, and rates as one of my most favourite "sights of Thailand" even though the sight is actually of Cambodia and Laos, from Thailand! What you do is take the 221 south-east from Si Sa Ket for 100km, (or as far as you can go, coz its the same thing) then park up at the border guard outpost and small market, wander up the steps on the hillside on the left... and you will come face to face with the most incredible panorama of Cambodia, Laos, the mountainous border seperating the two countries, endless forest stretching into infinity and the horizon, so dam_n far away you can actually see the curvature of the earth! Honestly folks, you stand at a guardrail that is mere feet away from a 3-400 foot vertical drop to the forest floor below, and the whole breathtaking view just goes on, and on, and on! An absolute must for anyone touring in that part of the country."

Hope you can make use of the info.

post-66370-1238681885_thumb.jpg

post-66370-1238681899_thumb.jpg

Ok OZ hear we go, some of these are not Issan but what the heck.

Surin- -Krunksri hotel … Tv Fan 200b

Surin --New Hotel….Fan TV 190b

Yasathon..—Yasathon Hotel ….Air 250, not worth it…. Fan 180 Rocket festival worth seeing

Pattaya---Lucky house…. Fan TV 250

Roy et ----Hotel 99 ….Air TV frige 320b good

Mahasarakam----Soonton Hotel ….Fan TV 250b

Kohn Kaen….Pu Inn Hotel….Tv Air 350b good

Kalasin---Supac hotel… fan TV good Go to the dinosaur museum

Loei----Royal Inn … air Frige TV 350b

Nakhon Panom---Windsor Hotel… Fan TV good

Sakhon Nakhon ---Sakhon Hotel ….Fan 150b

Korat----Fa Thai Hotel…. Fan TV 250b

Buri ram ----Thai Hotel….Fan TV 220b

Ubon----Tokyo Hotel … Fan TV 220 Old place

Amnat Cheroen---Amnat Hotel….Fan TV Grotty

Mukdahan----Bantomkesem Hotel…Fan 160b

Krabi---Chao Fa Guest House….Fan 150b very small room

Surat thani----Thai Rung Hotel …Fan 280b

Trang----Koh trang Hotel … Fan TV 220b

Patat lung----Thai Hotel …. Fan TV 250b

Ko Yao Nio ( island) Amina bungalows …Fan 250b

Trat----Trat Hotel….Fan 220b

Ranong----SSSintavee Hotel….Fan TV Tv no good

Koh Payam (island) ----PP Land Good place

Koh Chang , (Trat) Chang Bar, right on the sea…Fan 300b, Island hut , very small hut ..Fan 200b

Coh Chanf ( Ranong) ---Sabai Jai 200b for hut at the beach OK

Pukett---- Holiday plaza Hotel

I should say we were happy with the tong tarin only because its location was great, but i beleive others like the majestic are better value, also the night life in Surin does not kick of till around 10pm which sucked, but it allows you to get a feed and a few beers before hitting the strip.