Koh Samui Chaweng Beach - Life Danger Caused By Jet Ski

Just a warning for everybody who plans to spent a beach holiday at Chaweng beach and a question to the forum:

Although the beach itself is quite nice, you put your life at risk when swimming or diving at this place due to the absolute rudeless jet ski rental staff, which cruises all day among the bathing people at top speed (50 km/h and more ?) even when there are waves and they cannot see anything ahead. I'm not sure if already somebody has been killed by these people, but I am sure that it is only a matter of time until this will happen (actually, I have seen it happen before in the Dominican Republic, where a little boy's skull was crushed by a jetski). Does anybody has any information if the Thai / Bo Put authorities are really willing to ignore this problem until somebody dies ?

There's been a couple of fatal accidents with jet skis at Jomptien, Pattaya, one before they cordoned off an area with a rope and one after. However, the sea there is the last place I'd want to swim because of the serious pollution.

I thought the same at Samui. Very annoying. Can't swim properly without looking up every time you hear the engine noise. Also some of the riders. YOu don't know if the tourist on the machine is drunk or careful or knows how to handle it..

I guess someone will die there if they haven't already. Samui doesn't get the same news coverage as Pattaya or Phuket so we may not hear about it if it does or already has happened.

However, there are other dangers: last time swimming in Samui, I saw two big jellie fish. And it was about this time of year, supposedly well before the jelly fish season there. Also box jelly fish killed someone at Phi Phi, while two others were spotted, one at Krabi and another near one at James Bond Island.

The parachute and high speed boat also killed someone at Pattaya and they since stopped the service.

Phuket had some deadly jet ski incidents as well, mainly jet skis crashing into each other.

The problem on Samui is that the jet ski owners are fairly powerful and it will be difficult to get something done about it. There's a jet ski association, they put up the red flags about 100 meter out of the beach but I have no idea what they're planning or doing except putting up those red flags.

Jet ski's on Samui are indeed accidents waiting to happen and regulation would be welcomed by me but I'm afraid it's not going to happen anywhere soon.

Edited by limbos

I can't understand why people want to swim so far out from shore. There are no lifeguards and if you got into trouble, you'd be on your own. Why not swim parallel to the beach, deep enough to touch bottom? There is, or was, a sign in Lamai warning of currents and advising not to swim during certain times of the year.

Jet skiiers stay well out from the beach and I have never seen anything like a near miss.

Just a warning for everybody who plans to spent a beach holiday at Chaweng beach and a question to the forum:

Although the beach itself is quite nice, you put your life at risk when swimming or diving at this place due to the absolute rudeless jet ski rental staff, which cruises all day among the bathing people at top speed (50 km/h and more ?) even when there are waves and they cannot see anything ahead. I'm not sure if already somebody has been killed by these people, but I am sure that it is only a matter of time until this will happen (actually, I have seen it happen before in the Dominican Republic, where a little boy's skull was crushed by a jetski). Does anybody has any information if the Thai / Bo Put authorities are really willing to ignore this problem until somebody dies ?

Yes they will & will probably continue to ignore if/when someone does die..

& the reason why = $$$

Jet skiiers stay well out from the beach and I have never seen anything like a near miss.

It's different on Chaweng Beach- I've seen jet-skis (ridden by fools who have little or no knowledge of safe operation) cut between bathers in hip-deep water just off the beach.

The jet-skis themselves sit on the sand on the beaches in front of some hotels and are launched in the same spot where swimmers enter the water- it's insane from a safety standpoint.

It is not if but when the virst swimmer or snorkeller will be killed at the Hin Ta Hin Yai snorkelling point. Many swimmers swim far out into the sea from Lamai beach , but every morning and evening about ten jet-ski's race between the rocks overthere with 60 kph to their rental station (all young Thai men most of them with dreadlocks). They don't seem very interested in anyone elses life. Especially in the evening they race into the setting sun and can never see any swimmer, let alone a diver or snorkeller.

Let someone stop this before it is too late!

Edited by Obiwan

It's different on Chaweng Beach- I've seen jet-skis (ridden by fools who have little or no knowledge of safe operation) cut between bathers in hip-deep water just off the beach.

The jet-skis themselves sit on the sand on the beaches in front of some hotels and are launched in the same spot where swimmers enter the water- it's insane from a safety standpoint.

and how do you suggest they are launched if not from the beach?

I suggest that they shouldn't be launched from the front of ANY hotels (I would really like to suggest they shouldn't be launched at all as they are a scourge on the beach...)

There are a few spots on the beach that have fewer bathers (in some cases none at all) and would serve as better spots than, say, the beachfront near crowded hotels in the Green Mango area- yes, that would hurt the jet-ski business, but TOO BAD.

I'm assuming you're aware that the beach is public and the presence of any jet-skis on it is illegal (and yes, I'm aware this is Samui and the word "illegal" doesn't mean much, but that's not the point).

Is it illegal? I don't see why on giving it a quick thought - there are many businesses that work off the beach, massages, hawkers, loungers - all sorts, why would jetski's be more illegal than any other business? Either way, the last thing I'd want in Samui is for it to become a lifeless nanny-state island.

I do however agree that the jet-ski's are potentially dangerous, and that it makes me feel uncomfortable to swim, or watch any of my loved ones swim in the water where they are present. I spent some time in Kata Noi in Phuket, and they had a very sensible setup, a buoyed/roped off area for swimmers, with columns through to the beach that jet-ski's could access.

Asking the jet-ski operators (if you were a brave/foolish enough soul) to move an inch would cause major problems, they obviously want to be in the busiest parts of the beach possible in order to attract as many customers as they can, and they DO have a lot of power (don't piss them off) - a good compromise would be to rope/buoy off sections so swimmers can feel safer and jet-ski riders know where they shouldn't be riding.

I suggest that they shouldn't be launched from the front of ANY hotels (I would really like to suggest they shouldn't be launched at all as they are a scourge on the beach...)

There are a few spots on the beach that have fewer bathers (in some cases none at all) and would serve as better spots than, say, the beachfront near crowded hotels in the Green Mango area- yes, that would hurt the jet-ski business, but TOO BAD.

I'm assuming you're aware that the beach is public and the presence of any jet-skis on it is illegal[/b] (and yes, I'm aware this is Samui and the word "illegal" doesn't mean much, but that's not the point).

i would be interested in seeing that law. what authority do you base this claim on?

I base this claim on the fact that you cannot have an established, fixed business on the beach (there are licensed sellers of food and trinkets, but they are not based in one spot) because it is PUBLIC PROPERTY and you cannot get any kind of lease to set up a business on it- all the restaurants on the sand, all the dive counters, all the bars, all the beach parties, all the massage stands, are all ILLEGAL- the local authorities, however, allow them to operate (usually for a cut of the profits)- what's so difficult to understand?

Edited by OnTheSnap

all the restaurants on the sand, all the dive counters, all the bars, all the beach parties, all the massage stands, are all ILLEGAL- the local authorities, however, allow them to operate (usually for a cut of the profits)- what's so difficult to understand?

Good! :-D I quite like having massages and drinks on the beach personally - I think the jet-ski's move around too (despite extortionate prices)

Anyways, legal or not - best compromise is defining safe areas for swimmers imho.

all the restaurants on the sand, all the dive counters, all the bars, all the beach parties, all the massage stands, are all ILLEGAL- the local authorities, however, allow them to operate (usually for a cut of the profits)- what's so difficult to understand?

Good! :-D I quite like having massages and drinks on the beach personally - I think the jet-ski's move around too (despite extortionate prices)

Anyways, legal or not - best compromise is defining safe areas for swimmers imho.

I don't mind the bars/massages/restaurants either (they are no threat to anyone's safety)- I was making a point.

The jet-skis are based in front of the hotels to whom they (illegally) pay a commission in order to operate on their beachfront (or the hotel owner's themselves own the jet-skis), so they don't move around for the most part (I'm not going to name the hotels- they are mostly in the Green Mango area).

I completely agree that a roped off area for safe passage is a great idea- do you think we are the first two people who have thought of it? It's actually an expensive and a difficult job to do properly (the securing of the buoys is a tough task to do correctly)- the jet-ski operators aren't going to pay for it as they may have to end up moving if the authorities decide to do something about them, and public money won't be used to facilitate a business that's illegal. :o

Edited by OnTheSnap

The jet-skis are based in front of the hotels to whom they (illegally) pay a commission in order to operate on their beachfront (or the hotel owner's themselves own the jet-skis), so they don't move around for the most part (I'm not going to name the hotels- they are mostly in the Green Mango area).

I didn't know that - I don't really have any experience of Chaweng beach, just Choeng Mon which also has Jet Ski's but probably far less than Chaweng. Still dangerous though.

I completely agree that a roped off area for safe passage is a great idea- do you think we are the first two people who have thought of it? It's actually an expensive and a difficult job to do properly (the securing of the buoys is a tough task to do correctly)- the jet-ski operators aren't going to pay for it as they may have to end up moving if the authorities decide to do something about them, and public money won't be used to facilitate a business that's illegal. :o

Hmm Catch 22 - I suppose this is one of those unfortunate situations where it is likely to take something bad happening to push the issue. No way that the jet-ski operators would shell out, but maybe hotels would. I guess time will tell, but yes - at present the situation is dangerous.

Best solution i have seen was years back in Boracay. They had large wooden raft anchored few hundred meters off the beach where they lauch all jetskis, banana boats etc etc. Just ferry all customers from beach via channel closed with ropes. Not only it makes it safe for swimmers but also keeps the beach quiet without the constant roaring noise of jetski engines.

Business seemed to be good as those who wand to ride will do so regardless where they are lauched. I for one would prefer to ride in open water without having to be on constant lookout for swimmers.

To set this up is not that expensive, the operators just needs to start using their brains and smoke less green stuff.

Either way, the last thing I'd want in Samui is for it to become a lifeless nanny-state island.

...and if you die here you are already in Paradise, no ploblem

"Paradise" ?? I hardly think so...maybe for the first few days/weeks....and only because it's different than where you came from.

i would be interested in seeing that law. what authority do you base this claim on?

You're really on a roll there ts, kicking everyone today.

that was actually a serious question, but yes, i was pretty hungover this morning, i find it helps.

I base this claim on the fact that you cannot have an established, fixed business on the beach (there are licensed sellers of food and trinkets, but they are not based in one spot) because it is PUBLIC PROPERTY and you cannot get any kind of lease to set up a business on it- all the restaurants on the sand, all the dive counters, all the bars, all the beach parties, all the massage stands, are all ILLEGAL- the local authorities, however, allow them to operate (usually for a cut of the profits)- what's so difficult to understand?

I think perhaps we have a diiferent understanding of the word fixed.

I wasn't aware they had built permanent structures from which to ply their trade. In fact the most permanent structures i have seen are the umbrellas they sit under while they rent the jet skis. they tear down every night and setup every morning.

I have a friend who runs a wakeboard business out of chaloklam on phan ngan, he moors his boat off chaloklam bay in the same place daily and picks his passengers up in the same spot. Is that illegal too? likewise i have another friend who runs a dive operation from his rented bunglow on the beach beside koh ma.

Criminal?

i really am curiuous to see the regulation or bylaw you are referring to.

I think perhaps we have a diiferent understanding of the word fixed.

I wasn't aware they had built permanent structures from which to ply their trade. In fact the most permanent structures i have seen are the umbrellas they sit under while they rent the jet skis. they tear down every night and setup every morning.

I have a friend who runs a wakeboard business out of chaloklam on phan ngan, he moors his boat off chaloklam bay in the same place daily and picks his passengers up in the same spot. Is that illegal too? likewise i have another friend who runs a dive operation from his rented bunglow on the beach beside koh ma.

Criminal?

i really am curiuous to see the regulation or bylaw you are referring to.

By "fixed" I mean they set up on the beach in the same spot in front of the same hotels everyday year-after-year- I don't know what your understanding of the word might be.

I can't comment on the activities of your friends, and, if they're not posing a safety hazard, I couldn't care less (though, frankly, it doesn't sound as if either of them operates directly on the beach).

I have dinner about once per week with some friends who are GM's of local hotels- I listen to them complain to each other and talk business and I learn quite a bit- the local maritime authorities have acknowledged that there is a legal issue here (apparently there was a hotel group meeting that an officer attended where this issue was addressed- I have rental properties but I'm not authorized to attend these meetings so I cannot comment first-hand), but, due to "local influence", there isn't much they can do to alleviate (or even properly regulate) the problem.

I could go on, but I don't want to betray any confidences- believe what you like.

So, by this logic, the beach should be infested with small restaurants operated by people who carry out a grill and a few plastic tables and chairs and set up camp every morning and pack up at night- yet, you won't find a single establishment such as this on the beach (any that are operating are either connected to the hotels they are in front of or are paying the hotels for the space- again, this is illegal with or without the collision of the hotels, as they have no rights to the beachfront other than putting out beach chairs and umbrellas).

The "permanence" of the structure is not the issue.

Edited by OnTheSnap

We stayed at the Centara Grand a couple of weeks ago and in the rooms is a warning about using the jet skis, not because they are dangerous but because they sometimes claim that you have damaged the jet ski and must pay to have it fixed.

Well in the 4 days we were there this did not stop us from renting twice. They are not directly in front of the hotel but to the side of hotel on the beach by the pool. They did give us instructions, told us where to go, not go come too close to the beach and an exact price list. Yes, it was expensive 2400baht for 1 hour but, we knew this going into it as they gave us a price list for 15, 30, 45, or 1 hour.

No problems returning the jet skis and even rented them again on the last day. I think if your responsible and with some basic instructions you will be fine.

Great fun for us.

I've always wondered about the rental prices for jet skiis. I mean you can rent a car for 24 hours for the same price you can rent a jet ski for 20 minutes.

A new 2008 Kawasaki Jet Ski Ultra 250X runs about 320,000 baht in the US. So comparing rental prices to cost of the vehicle, for the same value you should be renting a car worth about 21 million baht. Are those Suzuki jeeps worth that much?

The real danger here is to the pocketbook, in my view.

In Patong they have roped off areas for the swimmers, hopefully the jet ski's dont go in that area.You will never stop

learners or show off from crossing the line.

From what i was told they are cutting out the jet ski's out of the patong beach area because of the injures and accidental damages.

I've always wondered about the rental prices for jet skiis. I mean you can rent a car for 24 hours for the same price you can rent a jet ski for 20 minutes.

Car rental fees usually don't include gasoline costs, but these are obviously included with jet ski rentals.

A typical 2-stroke jet ski will swallow up to 20l/hr of gas at full throttle, about 600 Baht/hr at current local prices. Add to that a very unforgiving (corrosive) sea environment and expensive replacement spare parts, a relatively short lifespan (5 years if lucky), and it's practically impossible to run any jet ski for under 1000baht/hr in running costs.

What a dumbass, useless invention!

You've obviously have never been on one. The fun factor is unmeasurable, specially away from crowded beaches and/or out in the open sea swells. :o