Good Hamburger At Jo Jett's

butterisbetter

Hi PB. If you want to go it's right near the Boat Restaurant. When you pass Dunkin Donuts at Chiang Mai Phucome Hotel start looking on the same side of the street. There is usually a Fino motorbike displayed out front.

On another note....there is a small shopping plaza opposite Tamarind Village Hotel on the Sunday walking street and inside is a pizzeria (sorry, can't recall the name) with the best pizza I have had in Thailand since 1985. Highly recommended!

Hi PB. If you want to go it's right near the Boat Restaurant. When you pass Dunkin Donuts at Chiang Mai Phucome Hotel start looking on the same side of the street. There is usually a Fino motorbike displayed out front.

On another note....there is a small shopping plaza opposite Tamarind Village Hotel on the Sunday walking street and inside is a pizzeria (sorry, can't recall the name) with the best pizza I have had in Thailand since 1985. Highly recommended!

Is that Girasole? I've heard great things about it too, but on the two occassions I've been in there to try a pizza, the pizza chef was "on lunch" and they couldn't serve pizzas! I'll be trying again soon.

• 4 weeks later...
Made it to Jo Jets earlier this week. Very good burger I thought, but next time I'll tell them to cook it a little less long (my error). Fries are the seasoned "reconstituted" potato type and pretty tasty, as was the shake. I'll try them again for sure.

Constructive input would include addition of an onion roll bun. Not a fan of the sesame seed type, but if you like those, theirs are very good. Maybe have a combo menu item instead of everything ala carte? I'm sure most people order fries with their burger anyway.

I wish them well, and with the 25% discount prices are fair, but still too high for the location they're in near the uni. I saw students looking in, but none entering. Tough to make a go with a farang only oriented business.

Stopped by again today for my bi-monthly burger cravings. Again, a very good burger and fries and shake. I hope others will try it as I'd sure like to see this establishment stick around.

I was in Jo Jetts recently. It's very good for what it is and I really like the whole ala carte, build-your-own burger concept. It might be the only place I've ever been where I could eliminate the lettuce and tomato that I don't want on my burger and not have to pay for it.

If Jo Jetts was near Tha Pai Gate, UGie would be singing it's praises on a regular basis.

Made it to Jo Jets earlier this week. Very good burger I thought, but next time I'll tell them to cook it a little less long (my error). Fries are the seasoned "reconstituted" potato type and pretty tasty, as was the shake. I'll try them again for sure.

Constructive input would include addition of an onion roll bun. Not a fan of the sesame seed type, but if you like those, theirs are very good. Maybe have a combo menu item instead of everything ala carte? I'm sure most people order fries with their burger anyway.

I wish them well, and with the 25% discount prices are fair, but still too high for the location they're in near the uni. I saw students looking in, but none entering. Tough to make a go with a farang only oriented business.

Stopped by again today for my bi-monthly burger cravings. Again, a very good burger and fries and shake. I hope others will try it as I'd sure like to see this establishment stick around.

If Jo Jetts was near Tha Pai Gate, UGie would be singing it's praises on a regular basis.

The best burgers that I have had in the last few years were at the Big Mango's old location at Nana Plaza and the (cheaper) Tony Roma's at the Emporium - both in Bangkok. The burger at CM Saloon used to be quite good until they changed meat suppliers several years ago. I'll have to try Joan Jett's, if it is that good. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Is that Girasole? I've heard great things about it too, but on the two occassions I've been in there to try a pizza, the pizza chef was "on lunch" and they couldn't serve pizzas! I'll be trying again soon.

The best pizzas I have had in Thailand, or ever, is at Maggie and Mario's place in Phuket. In fact it's about the only reason I would go ashore now on that island. Always on the lookout for a great pizza though so will try the Girasol; there's certainly nothing in the top category up here. Fortunately that's not case in the burger dept. though as we are blessed with Ed's Burger House, which is only a dill pickle and malt short of burger heaven IMO.

Roll your eyes all you like dear but if you are going to open an American style restaurant with American style food on an english menu then the staff should be able to understand at least a minimum of english. Who did they think they would attract as customers?

:)

Not if you pay them 3 to 4.000 Baht per month :D

I just had a chicken burger from 7-11. At 17 Baht, that's what I call a bargain. Salad, including tomato, lettuce, onion & cucumber were all free as were a variety of relishes including a top quality mustard and excellent ketchup. A paper bag was provided to stuff as much in the way of trimmings in.

From now on, you can forget your snazzy farang joints charging a ridiculous 100 Baht for a burger with their fakey "You want some drink" parasitic waitresses. It's 7-11 burgers for me all the way. Real Thai charm at real Thai prices.

We were there a few days ago. My wife and I shared a burger and a chili-dog, we thought they were both very good for Thailand. Also got an order of fries and they were excellent and would have compared well to the ones I like in the states. Next time I will get the burger well-done, just my preference. The beef tasted better then most to me, and overall the meal didn't taste greasy. Buns were both large and were neither to soft or to hard. Veggies toppings were plentiful and fresh.

Our bill came to around 250, we didn't get any ice-cream (next time).

We both thought it was a good burger-lunch, and hope they will get the business needed to stay around. We will be back again.

Yes scrubber...if either pizza or pasta were of Italian origin then maybe the wait staff should speak a little Italian!

Sorry - my apologies for assuming Naples (where pizza, in its current form, was established) is in Italy and that the word 'pasta' is Italian - but point taken about staff being able to speak some basic English, I agree with you there :)

if the pizza is round than that current form orignated in the U.S., so they should Speak Americanese.

Just had a burger and fries at Jo Jett's on Huay Kaew Rd. It was the real thing. A thick burger with good quality beef. I had it along with some excellent french fries.They tasted freshly cut to me. My wife, who is Thai, isn't that fond of beef so she had the hot dog with chile on top. That tasted real good too. Just like good chile dogs in the states. The decor is cool too. Retro 50's. If you're heading out from the city it will be about 3 or 4 storefronts ahead of the Boat Restaurant which has a prominent sign.

ate at this place last wednesday only one there eating i was a bit lonely had chilli -cheeze dog(they play "where's is the chilli " at the jo jetts ...u had to look to see any of it barely could taste chilli on it ....maybe afternoon cook???) and cheese burger and malt.... the palce is well done up a.c. cool furniture booths and empty!

all i can say is it was o.k. malt way too watery for a malt it needed more ice cream in it but maybe i hit this joint off hours and the real cook was out to lunch somehwere . over all yeh sure not bad for thailand but it is 2009 here and you can find great food here now..so that line no longer cuts it with me after 30 years of tasting the food progress by leaps and bounds...

the Dudes 99 Baht burger abnd fries better food and a better value is this 99baht burger which comes with fries and you can tell them extra onion,tomotoes,lettace and they serve this with free big 1/4 pickle.. that is kick ass deal, excellent taste and i ate two orders today. first burger since jet burger .. and i had two of the 99baht burger platters ....double the food which for me is double the fun as tasty as jets actually probally tastier at the ....Dudes riverside and less money

less than 1/2 the baht i think...by the way did i say free water?? i drank a full jug.

Edited by gatorhead333

To me a burger is a fast food fix when I need some energy and not get hypoglycemic. I don't normally eat burgers in Chiang Mai (or anywhere in Thailand for that matter) but when I do it's usually Mr Mikes on Loi Kroh road at the entrance to the Kick boxing (Muay Thai). They are okay and I can't complain about having a bad one, but like I said... it's just a fast food fix. I usually take it down to the O Ho bar and share the fries with my ladies.

I certainly wouldn't travel any distance just to eat a burger, but I might have one if I'm on a long walk and get hungry.

We got there on Friday night. Didn't get past the door. It was empty and looked like a good quality hospital canteen but without customers. Much too clinical for a 50's Burger bar.

The unit and I were also the only ones dining when we visited.

The decor..

I was thinking it might be styled after a dinner, but to me it looks like it's after that Jude Law flick "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow".

untitled.bmp

To me a burger is a fast food fix when I need some energy and not get hypoglycemic. I don't normally eat burgers in Chiang Mai (or anywhere in Thailand for that matter) but when I do it's usually Mr Mikes on Loi Kroh road at the entrance to the Kick boxing (Muay Thai). They are okay and I can't complain about having a bad one, but like I said... it's just a fast food fix. I usually take it down to the O Ho bar and share the fries with my ladies.

I certainly wouldn't travel any distance just to eat a burger, but I might have one if I'm on a long walk and get hungry.

Yes,

Mike's is back to being the best all rounder.

Yes,

I have to disagree. I think Jo Jetts hamburgers are much higher quality than Mikes. A step up from Jo Jetts would be the Dukes.

We have been to Jo Jetts three times now and all three times we were the only customers. I really hope this place makes it. We enjoy going there and the people who work there are nice and friendly.

Yes,

I have to disagree. I think Jo Jetts hamburgers are much higher quality than Mikes. A step up from Jo Jetts would be the Dukes.

We have been to Jo Jetts three times now and all three times we were the only customers. I really hope this place makes it. We enjoy going there and the people who work there are nice and friendly.

agreed there the jo jet burger is a welcomed treat relative to mikes.. how could one argue ?? and if on that side of town no need for the drive to the dudes the jo jet will do fine..

Edited by gatorhead333

Bad hamburger at Joe Jet's.

What a disappointment!

Adequate in the things that don't matter.

But failed in the one thing that does matter: the burger itself.

Based on positive comments in this thread, I tried Joe Jet's for the first time last week.

I won't be going back.

Here's a brief report on why not.

Service: better than expected for this part of the world.

Cleanliness: very good, and the open kitchen makes that easy to see.

Decor: strange mixture of ersatz 50's American diner plus some reference to airplanes and passports, but you can't eat decor, so who cares, as long as it's clean, which it is.

Milkshake: okay, but nothing special.

French fries: adequate.

Bun: fresh and tasty.

Lettuce, tomato, onion: fresh and generous.

However the burger itself: FAILED.

In a restaurant featuring hamburgers, one expects a very good burger.

On that essential point, Joe Jet's burger doesn't even come close to passing muster.

The burger is standard-issue, mediocre-quality, food-service patty of chipped, compressed, meat left-overs.

It is not fresh ground/minced beef.

The flavor is bland.

The texture is unappetizing.

The meat was gray, suggesting too long in the freezer.

If that's not damning enough, it was the worst prepared hamburger I've ever been served.

It was not cooked thru, still almost raw inside, not even warm.

Any start-up problems with preparation should have been cleared up before the end of opening day.

Now, after several months of serving burgers, the cooking is still not adequate.

Joe Jet's won't make it to the new year, (unless the owner is so foolish as to throw money down a dry well).

-- Oneman

I visited Sizzlers for the first time ever last week and I was hungry. So I ordered a burger(medium rare) served with bacon and cheese @ 370b. Not having been to Sizzlers before I wasn't aware that all main meals came with a salad bar which I found out came with soup, pasta and deserts. Unbelievable.

After soup and a salad dish, when the burger arrived, I struggled and couldn't manage a desert , let alone fruit.

The burger was huge, absolutely delicious made with decent beef and pink as ordered, the bun just perfect and massive and I lost count of how many rashers of bacon adorned the overflow of cheese... and then there we're fries!

The service was impeccable and drinks we're topped up for free.

So if you fancy a burger splurge now and then and don't mind paying for quantity and quality then I have only praise for a company which I assumed was American but have since been informed is from OZ.(Correct?)

Just incase anyone's missed it, it's on top floor of Central Airport Plaza.

Regards Bojo