Living Without A Car

runner

I need a car and a motorcycle? Motorcycle for everyday running around close to home stuff and going fast. Car for: rainy days, hauling, company, long distance, and keeping the wife out of the sun (very important I've learned). But by all means I ride as much as possible, because driving a car here is pretty lame.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually ride a bike, but come rainy season I drive/driver. For the OP, you don't need a car by any means. Best in rainy season, roads get pretty dangerous when wet, the bigger the bike the more dangerous the roads (sorry in advance for moderate and up riders, wet's fun/not rain). If you drink better to get a car (Tony will love this) and driver, which is rentable. Saves 10,000 baht contributions to BIB, if you drink. However, Thailand is more than manageable without buying/owning any form of transportation, IMHO.

Cheers

It all depends. Some people would look at a Civic (even the top one) as "I didn't want to spend extra for an Accord..." And plenty would look at a Fortuner as "It's a Hilux Vigo hatchback." I'd say the even among the middle class, if they aren't familiar with a particular brand/make, they won't even know how to tell the difference between the top/mid/base model of a particular car anyway.

Not that it matters what other people think.

Paying cash is the way to go of course... don't forget the Thai proverb as well though... "Lao si lek, jek si din." (Lao folks buy steel, Chinamen buy dirt.) In other words, these steel toys called cars... that will almost inevitably depreciate to ZERO... should be a minute portion of your total net worth.

:o

I personally really don't care. But I can a sure you, for the Thai middle class the 2.0 on the back of a Civic is something like a symbol of the mighty.

And a cash paid top Civic is superior to a Accord or Camry bought by credit for them.

Only the class beyond that and the class beyond that would be more recognised in a feudal way of looking at things even if credited.

But all that does really not matter.

It all depends. Some people would look at a Civic (even the top one) as "I didn't want to spend extra for an Accord..." And plenty would look at a Fortuner as "It's a Hilux Vigo hatchback." I'd say the even among the middle class, if they aren't familiar with a particular brand/make, they won't even know how to tell the difference between the top/mid/base model of a particular car anyway.

Paying cash is the way to go of course... don't forget the Thai proverb as well though... "Lao si lek, jek si din." (Lao folks buy steel, Chinamen buy dirt.) In other words, these steel toys called cars... that will almost inevitably depreciate to ZERO... should be a minute portion of your total net worth.

I personally really don't care. But I can a sure you, for the Thai middle class the 2.0 on the back of a Civic is something like a symbol of the mighty.

And a cash paid top Civic is superior to a Accord or Camry bought by credit for them.

Only the class beyond that and the class beyond that would be more recognised in a feudal way of looking at things even if credited.

And I was naive enough to think that a car was for getting from A to B, never thought that I had a need to impress my neighbours, guess I must be in the minority there. 2yrs ago we bought a Toyota {oh dear} new and cash, prior to that and for more than 10yrs we've had a new Mercedes every two years usually an S320 but not once have I ever got out of a car and thought " My god that was like some great orgasmic experience} having one in the car was a different matter Lol.

And I was naive enough to think that a car was for getting from A to B, never thought that I had a need to impress my neighbours, guess I must be in the minority there. 2yrs ago we bought a Toyota {oh dear} new and cash, prior to that and for more than 10yrs we've had a new Mercedes every two years usually an S320 but not once have I ever got out of a car and thought " My god that was like some great orgasmic experience} having one in the car was a different matter Lol.

Besides dropping names of vehicles, nice post.

Need not to impress but to get from here to there, get a Ferrari, but the need to tell anybody about it says a lot about your character.

Get better priorities.... or obviously a nicer car.

Thanks

Perhaps I can better make my point. Suppose you were to interview a very fit 18 year old University girl sitting at a bus stop.

On a scale of 1-10 how much does a BMW impress you?

10/10

What about that Fortuner SUV that just drove by?

8/10

How about the motorcycle that Mr. David, your English teacher drives?

Not really. I think the cell phone I want costs more. Maybe 3/10

Perhaps I can better make my point. Suppose you were to interview a very fit 18 year old University girl sitting at a bus stop.

10/10

8/10

Let me get this right tony/s, are you really concerned what people think of you? and do you think one should feel someone with a more expensive car is therefore more important than some other person with an old truck, obviously I know thais think like that but westerners???????????.

I simply listed social recognition as one of the many advantages to owning an automobile.

I'm sorry to be so pedantic but what are the advantages of social recognition.

Write down the ISBN of this book and you can pick it up at Kinokuniya Book Store

Its very basic, very well written, and not filled with scientific jargon.

Do they do it in a thai version Tony as I sure my thai friends would like to read it so they know what it means too, but heh they say your never too old to learn and as I have time on my hands I will buy it, thank you.

Apparently you do care, or you wouldn't have brought it up. My point is while folks may recognize that 2.0 means the 2000 cc engine, not everyone will have an idea of what the difference otherwise is between the 1.8 and 2.0... and aren't there more than one version of the 2.0 model anyway? Most folks are NOT car savvy, they just have a vague idea. You'd be right if you were talking about Honda salesman and perhaps most Honda automobile employees, and a certain finite % of car enthusiasts in general.

Cash paid for anything of course is superior, anywhere.

Edited by Heng

10/10

8/10

Sitting at the bus stop usually = not cute enough, desireable enough to have someone to pick her up and drop her off at school.

I apply the same rule for letting people cross the road. If you were cuter or of more importance, you likely wouldn't be crossing the road, so you'll have to wait one more car...

Or a Ferrari or a Lambo.

In terms of social recognition, which the vast majority of human beings are interested in obtaining, I think the gap between a Fortuner and an X3 is still much, much smaller than the gap between a Honda Civic and a Click.

And I will be paying cash. If you can't afford to pay for a car in cash I don't think you should be buying it.

I still have to understand what your mision on this board is.

What more more idiotic post than this one is you can make up?

Not_capable_to_think_ enough

Now if another poster made this comment about one of your posts, you would most likely hit the report button, wouldnt you?

Amazing how you label many others but can't stand any critisim of the utter rubbish you often post. :o:D

Heng's mom won't let him cross the street yet.

Nor would I let her cross the street. Much safer/prudent/and of course comfortable to make a u-turn and have your party dropped off on the other side, or more appropriately at the entrance to whatever establishment you're patronizing.

We do sometimes cross our own driveways though, it's impossible to get to the garage otherwise if we happen to be driving solo.

Is that the royal "We" or are you referring to the fact that you still live with dear old mum

We the Hengs. Of course I do, in fact so do my mom and dad, they both also live with their dear old mums as well. Where's your mum? Hopefully you have Skyped her twice this year "like a good son should."

I've been riding a motorcycle every day in Chiang Mai for 4 years. I love going right to the front of the line of traffic that will be stuck in the same place for the next 10 minutes.

However, I agree, the only time I'm miserable is when it rains. I can't stay home because I work on weekdays. During rainy saeson, I dread getting up in the morning. The rain either comes at night and lasts until I arrive at work or starts just before I'm ready to leave for work. On the other hand, I'm a bit afraid to own a car. As much as I'd like to have one, the idea of some @ss hole running into me or me not seeing another @ss hole on a motorbike who may be driving like an idiot, makes me think the mororcycle is better for my purposes here in the small circle I travel in. If I ever buy a car, I'm convinced it will only see use when it's raining or to go grocery shopping. And it won't be anything like a status symbol that's for sure!

In the wet season I would rather have a car, also for when going to the pub with more than 1 person. Better for going to the market to get the fresh veg n stuff.

The fumes also get to my chest very quick when I ride the m/c.

People are right in most instances when they say you don't need a car in bkk because of the transport available but move to the boonies then see how useful they are just getting the kids to school and back ontime rather than wait an hour while the local shit truck, sorry meant the local pick-up truck delivers them home most of the kids seem to be hanging out of the back on some feeble extension, and the accidents where we live are horrendously high. give me a car everytime.

Sitting at the bus stop usually = not cute enough, desireable enough to have someone to pick her up and drop her off at school.

I apply the same rule for letting people cross the road. If you were cuter or of more importance, you likely wouldn't be crossing the road, so you'll have to wait one more car...

Interesting. Any tips about avoiding and or getting around those people in makeshift pick up trucks (motorcycle + ply wood box filled with bottles and cans etc) ?

can't afford Skype, I put a bottle in the Gulf with a note for Mother's day

She may or may not get it at her resort in Belize. But she knows I care all the same.

Yeah, to each his own. Nothing says 'I love you' like an assumption "that you know I love you" or assuming "that you're even still alive."

Interesting. Any tips about avoiding and or getting around those people in makeshift pick up trucks (motorcycle + ply wood box filled with bottles and cans etc) ?

Yeah, you'll need first class insurance and also a stock of high quality front end grills (make sure you select a model that deflects objects around your car somewhat, it's easier come clean up time).

Just go right through them as they aren't legally on the road anyway. Be sure to dispose of the used grills properly, not to mention quickly.

:D

Edited by Heng

I do not play classic American-Thai-Chinese one-upmanship too well, and do not sing soprano, and our cars are old but our motorcycles are new.

The trick to riding in the rain is to wear a good rainsuit. There, I spend like a drunken sailor. One of my rainsuits is a Ducati.

Any tricks to getting the city to clean the road (in particular the gasoline/oil...that's motor+cooking/dirt that become oil slicks in the first few minutes of just about any rain) more effectively? Even with 4 wheels I can feel the difference in traction, can't imagine how much fun it would be on a bike.

Edited by Heng

I live on the outskirts of Bangkok. I have a family so having a car or truck is pretty much a necessity as I am not going to haul a total of 4 on a motorbike. I also use my truck for my business, which sometimes involves picking up and dropping off stuff. The cost of maintaining a second hand car as far as ins. and tax is minimal, and I do all my own maintenance so that isn't a big deal either. I often don't use the car for days at a time, opting to catch a bus, walk locally, or take a taxi. All depends on where I need to be, what I need to do, and my mood. For example, when I go into Bangkok I often use the tollway and then park somewhere to use the Skytrain or subway to get around. Works for me.

If I was single and living closer in, sure, why have a car?

big bike with a good sidecar is the answer also for smaller families. Not for the big cities. 3 wheels are much much saver provided the sidecar wheel has a break!!

Got a 600cc bike from here plus a sidecar imported from England (left attached !)

Living here since 5 years. Love the air and the diesel, cant imagine to drive a car , would feel imprisoned.

big bike with a good sidecar is the answer also for smaller families. Not for the big cities. 3 wheels are much much saver provided the sidecar wheel has a break!!

Got a 600cc bike from here plus a sidecar imported from England (left attached !)

Living here since 5 years. Love the air and the diesel, cant imagine to drive a car , would feel imprisoned.

Thai/p, haven't seen a sidecar around for years in the uk, but popular enough in the 60s though, still would scare me to death riding one on these roads with all the idiots around.

What's wrong with a saaleng? :o

P1010529a.jpg