Web Tv Units - Are They Still Available?

simon43

I want to provide in-room internet/intranet facilities in my 10-room guesthouse. I already provide free wifi and an internet computer in the reception. However, I want to implement a system whereby I can run an intranet, with pages of useful information for my guests.

I can install PCs and screens in each room, but the cost would be prohibitive, especially when compared to any revenues generated by this service.

A better idea (maybe??), is to use the existing TVs in each room and either deliver a channel of information and pictures, (content served via an RF modulator and combiner into the existing cable TV feed), OR an interactive system whereby each guest can access some simple web-pages of content, or can access external webpages via their TV screen.

Is it still possible to buy Web TV units? I know that they used to be available for dial-up connection, but I need LAN connection. Also, I think these were also packaged with a Web TV service....

Any ideas as to how to cheaply implement such a system are much appreciated!

Simon

Simon, no idea how upmarket your property is but what's wrong with simply printing off the info and inserting it into a display binder for each room like most places do? Free wi-fi and a computer in reception sounds better than many 10 room guesthouses offer anyway, unless of course you want an excuse to play around with some technology.

Hi Jeffer, it's actually more to do with increasing hotel revenues! I'm lucky that my hotel is typically fully occupied on most days. So how can I increase my net profit? I could increase the room-rate, but it's an airport hotel and people will not want to pay 4/5 star prices, even if the guestroom is 'sumptuous'.

The alternative is to offer more 'value-added-services' (VAS) to each guest, whereby the guest happily pays a reasonable room rate for their guestroom, but then uses extra and chargeable services which results in an increase in the total amount spent per guest.

What sort of VAS can be offered? Nowadays, free wifi/internet is (should be) the norm. So one has to think of other ideas, such as paying for premium movie service, in-room computer games for the kids, using the in-room PC to display paid adverts (or commission-paid) from local restaurants/services/tours etc).

There are other VAS ideas which are also possible, such as Thai massage (already do that), spa (maybe), souveigner shop (maybe a good idea) etc.

Simon