Arsene's Point Idea

bkkjames

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has proposed a change to the points system in the Premier League in a bid to encourage attacking football.

With the financial price of relegation from the top flight so high, managers have been known to adopt defensive tactics with a view to holding out for a draw, rather than risk being exposed and suffering defeat.

This campaign, in the 30 rounds of games so far, there has been an average of 2.45 goals per game - down from 2.64 last term.

And Wenger has suggested that teams should be rewarded for a forward-thinking ethos by offering extra points for their winning margin in an encounter.

The Frenchman told the club's official magazine: "I would like to see a scheme brought in where you get more points for scoring more goals.

Experiment

"In France they experimented with something before. When you scored three goals, you got an extra point. It was not a good system because you didn't care how many goals you conceded.

"A fairer system would be three points for a victory as now, then extra points for your positive goal difference.

"For example, if you win 6-3, you get three points for the win, plus three more for the goal difference, while the team that loses gets none."

He added: "I explain the statistics by the fact the league has been so tight this year, and also because the pressure on managers is enormous, so most of them adopt a cautious attitude.

Detrimental

"In the longer term that could be detrimental to the quality of the game here. It will have an effect because, if we have more and more strikers sitting on the bench, and more defensive midfield players being used, the quality will not go up.

"Who is the most dominant team in the last 12 months? You have to say Manchester United, but they have won about 10 games 1-0 this season.

"That means nobody has found the solution to break down these teams that are resilient, well-organised and excellent physically."

I like attacking football but I don't agree with his idea. In the NHL (that's hockey stevie), if the game is drawn (we called it tied) at the end of the match both teams get one point. They play another 5 minutes and if anyone scores that team gets an additional two points. Obviously in football we would need 15 mins.

Not a perfect solution but does award those who go for it.

there never is a perfect system of scoring that will satisfy everyone

but in general anyone that proposes a change to the status quo will usually be shot down.

not talking football or just Arsene.....speaking in general terms

people dislike change and assume that things are good the way they are.

maybe they are, but how would we know unless we have tried a different way?

I like attacking football but I don't agree with his idea. In the NHL (that's hockey stevie), if the game is drawn (we called it tied) at the end of the match both teams get one point. They play another 5 minutes and if anyone scores that team gets an additional two points. Obviously in football we would need 15 mins.

Hockey is played on grass as far as I know. :o

Hockey is played on grass as far as I know. :D

Hockey?

Is that not the puffs game that they play with upside down walking sticks? :o

If Wenger wanted the game to have more goals, then surely the best way to do this is to make teams more evenly matched so teams turn up to places like Arsenal, Liverpool etc... more willing to attack, the best way to do this would be to distribute the European club football more evenly, which is never going to happen.

IMO its sour grapes from Wenger who constantly cries about teams which get a result against his accusing them of bullying tactics, when the few Arsenal games ive see theyve not won, its purely down to them not being better then the opposing team.