Health Insurance

Finlaco

I’m at the ‘Last Chance Saloon’, 70 this year so started to look at plans. $4,700 to $80,800 per annum and no indication of future premiums.

I had pneumonia last year, so presumably that will be excluded as an existing condition. Whilst not the best hotel stay in my life, I came out of a government hospital after 3 days and 12,000 baht lighter. Thankful for all the people, doctors, nurses and families that helped. I don’t know how different the ‘experience’ would have been if I had private insurance.

The problem is that you really don't know how good a company is until you try and get an approval or get your money back that you spent in the hospital.

Usually, Thai companies have small coverage amounts and try to say everything was a pre condition.

Foreign companies have great coverage, but very expensive premiums.

I would look at Pacific Cross and Luma Health. Also, be aware of premiums from some companies that look too good to be true. Good luck

• Like 1

Is this for the required insurance for an "O-A" visa or do you just want to have it?

If the required one it limits who you can use.

But either way Pacific Cross is a pretty good choice.  But they do add to your premium up to 40% more for being overweight.

Plus if you have existing health issues they will exclude that from coverage.  Say for instance you are taking high blood pressure and/or cholesteral medications they are going to exclude you from coverage for heart attacks, strokes and such.

Go with Aetna as said above. Have had them for 20 years through all the buyouts they still have the same service and payout pretty quickly. Get the Thai policy not international. Much more expensive. They have an office on the left side just after the Pattaya Nua and Sukhumvit road intersection about 200 meters down towards the hospital on the left. 

Being a foreigner far away from any European welfare state, I am still trying to figure out the optimal setup for myself, but for now I think that I am quite okay. 

I have an international plan with Cigna : no exclusion nor pre-condition, no surcharge, all countries covered except US. The plan has a high deductible (3,000 USD), in order to keep the premium affordable : 2,271 USD at the latest renewal, up 9.5% from prior year. They declined my request for a discount, because they had already conceded keeping the premium unchanged the year before that (no claim ever for many years…). I never had any claim, but Cigna has an excellent reputation, and my broker assured me that all claims he is aware of went through with no issue, APAC-wide.

Each year upon renewal, I have a review of alternatives, and so far Cigna remains the best deal in town. There are considerably cheaper options available, but from semi-dodgy local companies, or with drastically reduced benefits. Also, I need international coverage, so that a Thailand-only solution, while much cheaper, would not suit me for now. Naturally, the issue may come up later, when I will reach a ripe old age. Premiums may become unaffordable. 

The plan with Cigna comes on top of any coverage provided by my employer, as long as I keep working as an employee. After that, the fallback position in my case is and would remain the Thai Social Security scheme. Admittedly not the greatest, but it is there, and a foreigner can remain covered for as long as (s)he pays the (very low) monthly due. I never actually used it for anything, and customer experience varies quite a lot, it seems. At the very least, one can hope to get life-saving treatment without breaking the bank.

3 hours ago, jcmj said:

Go with Aetna as said above. Have had them for 20 years through all the buyouts they still have the same service and payout pretty quickly. Get the Thai policy not international. Much more expensive. They have an office on the left side just after the Pattaya Nua and Sukhumvit road intersection about 200 meters down towards the hospital on the left. 

Do they have a cashless system and pay direct to the hospital instead of having to pay first and make a claim to get back your money?

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Despite that, if the insurer can avoid paying the claim, I am certain they will.

yep they will and do, happened in very recently.

Iam currently in a government hospital recovering from severe pneumonia and is covered by Social Security (28 days ICU, moved to general yesterday) 

However I first presented to a large private hospital in Pattaya thinking my private health insurance would cover.

They came up with some bullshot excuse and declined to cover.

I now have a 280k bill to pay that hospital (3 days ICU).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

yep they will and do, happened in very recently.

Iam currently in a government hospital recovering from severe pneumonia and is covered by Social Security (28 days ICU, moved to general yesterday) 

However I first presented to a large private hospital in Pattaya thinking my private health insurance would cover.

They came up with some bullshot excuse and declined to cover.

I now have a 280k bill to pay that hospital (3 days ICU).

I'm truly sorry to hear that, I hope you fully recover soon,

• Like 1

Just now, nigelforbes said:

I'm truly sorry to hear that, I hope you fully recover soon,

Thanks.

Full recover soon, started rehab physio today to get my legs working again.

Going to be utter bliss the day I can climb out of bed and use the toilet and shower by my self.........am over bed baths and plastic tubes draining me !!

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

you would believe a broker saying all claims went through with no issue?

maybe ask a broker last time a prostate claim was denied

I don't know -- I have never used a broker in Thailand or USofA. Always direct.

Edited by jerrymahoney

On 2/3/2023 at 2:43 PM, thaisabai said:

I can give you an address if you contact me (I am on retirement visa in Pattaya and have April insurance from France). I can give you the address of the person who signed me up with April.

thaisabai

why the secrecy ?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, racyrick said:

Do they have a cashless system and pay direct to the hospital instead of having to pay first and make a claim to get back your money?

Of course they do...Quick approval before check into room and a bit slower for the billing to come thru, but within 2-4 hours of doctor signing off that you can be discharged.

Had them over 20 years (before was Bupa, then Aetna and actually now taken over by Alliance) and never had a claim problem of any kind during that time.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 3:09 PM, couchpotato said:

Of course they do...Quick approval before check into room and a bit slower for the billing to come thru, but within 2-4 hours of doctor signing off that you can be discharged.

Had them over 20 years (before was Bupa, then Aetna and actually now taken over by Alliance) and never had a claim problem of any kind during that time.

Yes, I am with Aetna Thailand since 1999 (Bupa that time). I had very few health issues and never any problem when claim. As said, hospital is quickly checking approval before admission and approval for the exit. You sign some papers and they take care the bills

15 minutes ago, jphasia said:

Yes, I am with Aetna Thailand since 1999 (Bupa that time). I had very few health issues and never any problem when claim. As said, hospital is quickly checking approval before admission and approval for the exit. You sign some papers and they take care the bills

Yeah I had a health issue approx 7 yrs ago the ended up in ICU then a private room to recover, was insured with Bupa.

Sat in ER for hours awaiting their approval which finally came though.

bill for the stay was a few million,  then 20k a month for meds...

Edited by Ralf001

• 4 weeks later...

I am using Hearth Care International, been with them for 7 years now had one claim a hip replacement,

But, the hospital would not take any health insurance at all, cash only, so I paid and claimed back afterwards ...........took them 6 months for them to pay me back.

Up to last year premium was 1400 GBP. last year's  2200 GBP, this year's quote 2350 GBP, last year's a big increase, which I put down to Covid?. also 1400 GBP excess.

One thing they Asian hub is now Bangkok could make thing easier being local.

I am looking around, but at 67 and now had both hips replaced, I think I will be lucky to find anything cheaper. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I know several reputable health insurance providers in Thailand catering to retirees. You might want to explore options from companies like Bupa, Aetna, or Pacific Cross. Additionally, I personally use purecover.co.uk for my insurance needs, and you can check it out to get some references and see if they offer what you're looking for. It's important to compare different plans and choose one that suits your requirements and budget. Good luck!

Edited by Brewslee
  • Thumbs Up 1