Southern Provinces To Face Severe Drought

george

Southern provinces to face severe drought

BANGKOK: -- The Provincial Waterworks Authority (PWA) has launched several measures to prevent a water shortage as several southern provinces are expected to encounter a severe drought during March and April.

Mr. Prasert Chuaphanich, the PWA's Governor, said that the expected drought would affect as many as 22 water treatment plants in Thailand's southern region.

"Measures to be implemented include either digging ponds or building weirs to store water, installing water pumps to transfer raw water to water treatment plants and transferring potable water from other stations to drought affected areas," he said.

"Phuket and Koh Samui in Surat Thani Province, which have, in previous years, faced a raw water shortage, are not expected to face the problem this year, but people are urged to conserve water," he added.

--TNA 2005-01-23

rdn, you could always visit me here and compare, this is how i see thailand

pleasant people

polite people

no bombs (except for once in a while which isnt the same thing as routine)

no raketot (the ones being shot in to shderot city everyday and killing poeple and traumitizing everyone for the past year)

no bombs

no ketyushiot in the northmost area

no 90 days a year active army reserve duty for fathers, sons brothers in volitile areas

no death of your 18 yr old in line of duty

no gaza no jenin no ramalla

no goat rustling, car thieving and machine thieving as a nationwide epidemic

no separating wall between them and us

no long lines with lots of impatient and nasty people to get into a supermarket because guards are checking your bags

no long lines to get into any where because they are checking the trunk of everyone's car; bags etc

no guards at schools and terrorist/bomb drills for kids

lots of wonderful delicious and beautiful fruit

no gasmasks and atropine shots in little boxes with every person's name on it in a closet in the house and a bombshelter incorporated into the house as an other room

no uzis, m16 or kalishnokovs in the house with the bullets locked up so the kids dont play with them when daddy comes home from reserve duty for friday/saturday

no missing university exams cause the army called you up and wont change the dates

stores open on saturday

can order pork ribs anywhere

fresh shellfish

no russian mafia

no morroccan mafia

no gruzini mafia

tsunami was a terrible one time thing

drought, well, we arent allowed to wash cars with hoses; not too many beautiful waterfountain centerpieces; farmers pay per cubic liter and when they finished the amount allotted to them, well, eat shit and die or pay up and morgtage your house for inflated interest rates; dont return the money, take an other loan , do same, in end committ suicide to 'lost honor' when cant support large family

sorry, couldnt help responding, but finished work early and wanted to list my complaints and remember:

the grass is always greener on the other side but when goats think that , they go back and forth, dont eat at all, lose weight and die :o

:D

pleasant people

polite people

no raketot (the ones being shot in to shderot city everyday and killing poeple and traumitizing everyone for the past year)

no bombs

no 90 days a year active army reserve duty for fathers, sons brothers in volitile areas

no death of your 18 yr old in line of duty

no gaza no jenin no ramalla

no goat rustling, car thieving and machine thieving as a nationwide epidemic

no separating wall between them and us

no long lines with lots of impatient and nasty people to get into a supermarket because guards are checking your bags

no long lines to get into any where because they are checking the trunk of everyone's car; bags etc

no guards at schools and terrorist/bomb drills for kids

lots of wonderful delicious and beautiful fruit

no gasmasks and atropine shots in little boxes with every person's name on it in a closet in the house and a bombshelter incorporated into the house as an other room

no uzis, m16 or kalishnokovs in the house with the bullets locked up so the kids dont play with them when daddy comes home from reserve duty for friday/saturday

no missing university exams cause the army called you up  and wont change the dates

stores open on saturday

can order pork ribs anywhere

fresh shellfish

no russian mafia

no morroccan mafia

no gruzini mafia

drought, well, we arent allowed to wash cars with hoses; not too many beautiful waterfountain centerpieces; farmers pay per cubic liter and when they finished the amount allotted to them, well, eat shit and die or pay up and morgtage your house for inflated interest rates; dont return the money, take an other loan , do same, in end committ suicide to 'lost honor' when cant support large family

sorry, couldnt help responding, but finished work early and wanted to list my complaints and remember:

the grass is always greener on the other side but when goats think that , they go back and forth, dont eat at all, lose weight and die  :o

Maybe there is a case for large scale desalination plants which could be built in the south. These would be expensive however and security would have to be very strong....

pleasant people

polite people

no bombs

no morroccan mafia

no gruzini mafia

the grass is always greener on the other side but when goats think that , they go back and forth, dont eat at all, lose weight and die  :D

You're right bina, Thailand's problems are pretty small compared to Israel's (you're in a kibbutz there, I recall), apart from the tsunami of course. But then, that's why I'm here - in my personal view of paradise, just waiting for the grim reaper who hopefully won't come a-knocking too soon :o . I can only wish you and all of the middle east all the very best of luck. And - of course - Thailand is still a much better place to live than cold, wet, windy, high-cost UK :D .