Building Restrictions

I am in the process of purchasing a beachfront block of land. It is chanote and the front of the land sits at the edge of the sand and beginning of the grassed area. The land is only 25 metres deep and I was wanting to know if there are any building restrictions regarding distance to the sea. The land is situated in rural Nakorn Sri tammarat.

am sure others will be along with general rules and experiences however if you wish to build or assess your risks you should engage a lawyer (usual pros and cons there) to give you full advice on what can and cannot be done on this particular plot (which should include them liaising with land office etc as to current restrictions etc.)- if not, flip a coin

I am in the process of purchasing a beachfront block of land. It is chanote and the front of the land sits at the edge of the sand and beginning of the grassed area. The land is only 25 metres deep and I was wanting to know if there are any building restrictions regarding distance to the sea. The land is situated in rural Nakorn Sri tammarat.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Jomtien-Cond...tml&hl=view

This is a different position as am only intending to build a small holiday home as I already have a house and business over here.

Will be asking the appropriate land office prior to finalising purchase. I have found out that Phuket will not approve building permits closer than 20m to the ocean, Koh Lanta is 15m from the ocean, but so far have not been able to find out anything about Nakorn Sri Tammarrats rules. these are set locally.

I am due back down there again next week but was interested to find out if anyone had any experience of this and their restrictions if any.

This is a different position as am only intending to build a small holiday home as I already have a house and business over here.

Will be asking the appropriate land office prior to finalising purchase. I have found out that Phuket will not approve building permits closer than 20m to the ocean, Koh Lanta is 15m from the ocean, but so far have not been able to find out anything about Nakorn Sri Tammarrats rules. these are set locally.

I am due back down there again next week but was interested to find out if anyone had any experience of this and their restrictions if any.

When you say "20m to the ocean", is that when the ocean is at high tide, low tide, or an average of the two?

I was considering buying a piece of land which also didn't have much distance from the shore line to the other side of the property (which bordered a road). I too was concerned about the limited space. The seller assured me that this wouldn't be a problem as she owned the plot next door which was similar in size and shape. She already had plans to build on the land. I believe her plan was to get about a meter away from where the grass met the sand and she planned on building a sea wall to protect against erosion. This was in Sichon, which isn't far from Tha Sala.

The plot we ended up buying extends 100m from the beach to the access road, so we don't have the same concern as you have. Nevertheless, I'd be interested in knowing what you discover to be the legal building distance from the sea. We may end up building several structures on the property in the future.

Check out This Website and you can see some pictures that may give you an idea of how close others have built structures along the beach in Tha Sala.

firstly, where are you building, as thailand has different rules for different areas

When you say "20m to the ocean", is that when the ocean is at high tide, low tide, or an average of the two?

this is always marked from the coconut trees

firstly, where are you building, as thailand has different rules for different areas

this is always marked from the coconut trees

It is in Amphur Tha Sala Changwat Nakorn Sri Tammarrat.

The plot runs from the edge of the sand back approximately 25m to a sealed road. It has a chanote title and there are several similar blocks together, already purchased by falangs I have been told.

The chanote pegs are in the ground and these sit on the edge of the grass at the top of the sand.

It is a beautiful looking plot but I need to be sure there are no building restrictions that will stop me putting a home on the block.

I was considering buying a piece of land which also didn't have much distance from the shore line to the other side of the property (which bordered a road). I too was concerned about the limited space. The seller assured me that this wouldn't be a problem as she owned the plot next door which was similar in size and shape. She already had plans to build on the land. I believe her plan was to get about a meter away from where the grass met the sand and she planned on building a sea wall to protect against erosion. This was in Sichon, which isn't far from Tha Sala.

The plot we ended up buying extends 100m from the beach to the access road, so we don't have the same concern as you have. Nevertheless, I'd be interested in knowing what you discover to be the legal building distance from the sea. We may end up building several structures on the property in the future.

Check out This Website and you can see some pictures that may give you an idea of how close others have built structures along the beach in Tha Sala.

The block you were looking at sounds very similar, was it in tambon klai, just north of hat chailay, woman is selling 2 blocks one of which she had been going to build on.

The block you were looking at sounds very similar, was it in tambon klai, just north of hat chailay, woman is selling 2 blocks one of which she had been going to build on.

I don't know exactly which tambon it was in. It was in Sichon though, not Tha Sala. The woman was a farang TV member. Her husband was actually the one selling the land since, as you know, she can't own land in her name. This was 2 years ago. I never saw the property, but my brother-in-law, father-in-law, and other relatives saw it and they were concerned about how short the distance was from the road to the beach. They recommended the plot we bought because it was bigger, the distance from the road to the beach is over 100m, the price per rai was less, and other relatives live on an adjacent lot so they can look after it for us.

If what Boater says is correct and if the distance from the coconut trees (I assume this means where the grass starts for us) to where one can build is 10 meters, then you'd be forced to build on the front 15 meters of your property. Would that work for you? Of course if the distance is 15 or 20 meters from where the grass grows, that would be unacceptable IMHO.

Let me know what you find out.

In Phuket it's 20 metres from "median high tide" was is of course open to interpretation, at least that's what my architect told me.  I had the local or bor tor out a few times checking thanks to a neighbor that tried to get my building stopped.

Edited by steelepulse

I was told it is the first 20 metres from the high tide mark belongs to the thai navy everywhere in thailand.

Though you can get shownaughts and permission to build right up to the shoreline in my village.

You can draw your own conclusions as to how this can happen.

I personally would'nt build too close just in case, but it might be worth the risk if you can get view and convienence to the beach.

In the Sichon area, also including Tha Sala, you can build within 12 meter from the highest poin of the high tide mark.

I think I know what land you're talking about.... You can build within 5 meters from the road and with the 12 meter high tide mark, it means you will be able to build on appx. 20 meter dept of the land. The highest high tide mark is appx. 12 meter from where the gras on the land begins.

20 meter should get you a nice large house, no?

In the Sichon area, also including Tha Sala, you can build within 12 meter from the highest poin of the high tide mark.

I think I know what land you're talking about.... You can build within 5 meters from the road and with the 12 meter high tide mark, it means you will be able to build on appx. 20 meter dept of the land. The highest high tide mark is appx. 12 meter from where the gras on the land begins.

Your statement seems reasonable enough to me. Did you get this information from the land department or from someone in the area that knows the local restrictions? Also, you say you know "what land you're talking about". Are you referring to the land that Big Guy is planning on buying or the land I was talking about that I was considering buying two years ago in Sichon?

Another question is how does one determine the highest high tide mark? I assume that there is probably one or a few days a year that would cause the high tide to be the highest since the tides would be based upon the position of the moon and the moon's closeness to the earth. Is there a table somewhere that provides this information?

donx> We got this information from the land office. I am 99% sure I know what land Big Guy is planning to buy, yes.

At the land office we were told, that you can "see the highest tide mark" on the beach, you can see where the highest point is from sea debris, so you simply meassure 12 meters from this point onto your land.

But I will ask my wife to contact the land office again to get a clearer answer..... but you know, talking to a Thai official, getting a clear answer, is somewhat difficult :o

Edited by olsen

But I will ask my wife to contact the land office again to get a clearer answer..... but you know, talking to a Thai official, getting a clear answer, is somewhat difficult :D

I have found that getting a clear answer from any Thai has been somewhat difficult, especially my wife. :o

It is a beautiful looking plot but I need to be sure there are no building restrictions that will stop me putting a home on the block.

to be sure (or as sure as you can be) you will need to put your hand in your pocket - if the answer is not to your liking you would then need to put your hand in your pocket again

high tide is a 'fluid' concept and not just because of the water

Thanks very much Olsen, i went to the local land office and had it confirmed that in that area there were no restrictions inside the chanoted area so all is looking good.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Your statement seems reasonable enough to me. Did you get this information from the land department or from someone in the area that knows the local restrictions? Also, you say you know "what land you're talking about". Are you referring to the land that Big Guy is planning on buying or the land I was talking about that I was considering buying two years ago in Sichon?

Another question is how does one determine the highest high tide mark? I assume that there is probably one or a few days a year that would cause the high tide to be the highest since the tides would be based upon the position of the moon and the moon's closeness to the earth. Is there a table somewhere that provides this information?

Olsen should know what he is talking about as he has a real estate company in the area.

donx> We got this information from the land office. I am 99% sure I know what land Big Guy is planning to buy, yes.

At the land office we were told, that you can "see the highest tide mark" on the beach, you can see where the highest point is from sea debris, so you simply meassure 12 meters from this point onto your land.

But I will ask my wife to contact the land office again to get a clearer answer..... but you know, talking to a Thai official, getting a clear answer, is somewhat difficult :o

so, just out of curiosity sake, is a retaining wall built inside the high tide line illegal? (ie, high tide line is well past where the retaining wall is)

so, just out of curiosity sake, is a retaining wall built inside the high tide line illegal? (ie, high tide line is well past where the retaining wall is)

as far as i can understand as long as the retainin wall is on your property there is nothing wrong, the retaining wall is only there to protect your assets.