Expats: Are You Leaving Town To Avoid Songkran?

Jingthing

Expats: Are you leaving town to avoid Songkran?  

142 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Original plan was to be in another country but will arrive back on 13th and celebrate in Isaan with my family & wee boy; his first Songkran and although he won't remember it as such, my wife has hinted that me not being there for his 'first' would be akin to being the Grinch. She has spoken... so be it.

A few years ago I was in a car filming through the windows at people getting wet and having fun. Well, time came to get out of the car and we pulled up to a mellow area where there were just a few bar girls and a barrel of water. We first asked them to please let us get out of the car and they said OK.

So we did and then one of the girls runs up and says, "I DONT' CARE!" and dumped a large bucket of water on my $3000 video camera.

I take the blame, I should have never had the camera out in the mess but dam_n... I wanted to murder her right there on the spot. It was just so disrespectful and she dumped the water not on me, but directly on my video camera, then ran away laughing.

OMG !! another jingthing topic. :o

A quick check using Excel informs us that he joined 892 days ago and, at this point, has posted 9955 messages. That's an average of over 11 messages a day... mostly complaining about life in Thailand. One can only wonder when he has the time to experience life in Thailand.

what are the start/finish dates of Songkran in pattaya, I arrive on the 17th :o

Some people begin "celebrating" on 13, 14, and 15, but in theory it's 18,19 April. So anytime between 13 and 19 April you're probably going to get water thrown on you somewhere in the Jomtien-Pattaya area.

If you live here, you just plan on doing things at home or you can hide in your favorite bar. If you're a visitor, dress to get wet and enjoy it ... or else hide out in your favorite bar.

The main roads ... Beach Rd, 2nd Rd, Pattaya Tai, etc are probably the worst, especially if you're on board a song taeow or on a motorbike.

Right now in Pattaya it's pouring down rain so it's pretty much the same thing if you got caught out without an umbrella.

Edited by Kaojai

Believe it or not - this will be the 1st time in 14 years I will miss Songkran in Pattaya! I love the 19th and am lucky that I only live across the street from the office in a back street area so don't have the problem of getting wet going to and from work. I have "work" commitments and will apparently be Khon Kaen for Songkran - so that might be interesting!

I used to love Songkhran, My first was on my first visit to LOS at Praphradaeng in 1981, then it was a very mystical experience, Thai people coming to me and first saying "Kaw tahw Khrap", basically asking my permission, and then lightly dabbing white powder on my forehead or cheeks and pouring a little water on my neck or shoulders. It was a magical experience, especially when the Thai people I was with met their parents with a very well known monk and we poured water over their hands or necks. It was, then, I feel a deeply moving ceremony of redemption and contrition, almost a rebirth, I was deeply honoured that my friends family included me as if I was their own son, they also took the time to explain the meaning of it all to me. roll forward about 5 years and pattaya was starting to get a little crazy but it was still only over two days 6:00 PM until 6:00PM the next day.for 5 or 6 years I was always to be found at Abby bar on walking street with a few Australian friends who came back every year and "Jiap" the then owner, still great fun. Then the "pattaya Festival" came along, 7 days, Songkhran had always been celebrated later in Pattaya than BKK, so all the BKK crowd travelled down for it, but suddenly things began to change, now the water thowing started the same time as BKK but went on for 7 days, sure a lot of people loved it, but to me it wasnt Songkhran anymore, it was just a 'Water Festival", Seems to me that in trying to increase the revenue City hall had forgotten what Songkhran was all about. It came to a head for me in 2004, my daughter was 5 years old and when we went downtown to have some sanuk, it was..........depressing, My daughter had about 1 hour of fun and then said daddy, please, we go now, I am getting hurt. That was my last Songkhran in pattaya with my daughter since then we went out to huay yai or in banglamung to the small villages, and there it was a little better.

I know many farang come to have a good time and play for a few days but that is the pattaya festival, it isnt Songkhran, watch the thai news, all over thailand, mayhem........for one day, but then they settle down and many do it the old way.

In search of the tourist dollar Thailand and particularly Pattaya has thrown out the traditional meaning of Songkhran and turned it into a water fight, and its a shame, So i will be doing songkhran the old way, clearing my debts and making sure that any people I have offended are placated, and just for one day throwing water.

regards

FReddie

As if Sonkgran in Pattaya isn't bad enough on its own, we had a preview these past days of what is in store when ASEAN comes to town.

The Cabinet meeting was only what, one or two days, and it snarled up traffic from Jomtien through Pratamnak and into Pattaya. Just wait this year for Songkran *plus* ASEAN to overlap. (I won't. I'm leaving town in a couple days until about the 21st.)

Bah humbug.

I used to love Songkhran,

In search of the tourist dollar Thailand and particularly Pattaya has thrown out the traditional meaning of Songkhran and turned it into a water fight, and its a shame,

As long as you enjoy it, it is "Songkran", as soon as you don't, it becomes a "Water Fight".

It doesn't seem to matter to you what millions of Thais think. :o

In search of the tourist dollar Thailand and particularly Pattaya has thrown out the traditional meaning of Songkhran and turned it into a water fight, and its a shame,

As long as you enjoy it, it is "Songkran", as soon as you don't, it becomes a "Water Fight".

Millions of thai's dont think of it as a water fight, a few hundred thousand do, but you would be surprised how many still enjoy it the traditional way, you just need to get out of the bars for a while.

Freddie

Millions of thai's dont think of it as a water fight, a few hundred thousand do, but you would be surprised how many still enjoy it the traditional way, you just need to get out of the bars for a while.

Freddie

Horse pucky, Mr. Thai Culture, and I haven't bothered with the bars regularly for years. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

Tough choice........stay at home under a pseudo house arrest or leave the country on expensive flights (due to high demand of many wanting to escape the carnage).

We're leaving.

After what happened yesterday you might not have to leave