Water Vapour Spray For Restaurant Terrace

russianrobert

I want to buy a water vapour spray with fan for a restaurant terrace. I'm not exactly sure what the technical term for it is but i'm sure someone knows what i mean and where to buy several of them. They are popular all over Bangkok.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Russianrobert

I want to buy a water vapour spray with fan for a restaurant terrace. I'm not exactly sure what the technical term for it is but i'm sure someone knows what i mean and where to buy several of them. They are popular all over Bangkok.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Russianrobert

I am not entirely versed in the Physics but I do not think these devices work effectively in a hot / humid climate like Thailand, you are merely adding additional humidity to the already clammy local atmosphere.

As I understand it the best environment for this equipment is a hot / dry climate, because the small water droplets or vapour absorb some heat from the surrounding air, thus cooling the general area.

Two other important facts to consider are:

1) The noise of the fans - they can be extremey intrusive and annoying and may drive customers away.

2) Where does the water being sprayed around come from - i.e. is it hygenic? In a Restaurant the spray is landing on food and and in drinks - many people, especially tourists, may worry about bacterial infection and simpy walk on by.

A year or so ago we had 4 of these things installed on the open air terrace at the R.B.S.C. here in Bangkok - they were removed after a couple of months because of the above problems.

Patrick

Any ideas?

Cheers, Russianrobert

I am not entirely versed in the Physics but I do not think these devices work effectively in a hot / humid climate like Thailand, you are merely adding additional humidity to the already clammy local atmosphere.

As I understand it the best environment for this equipment is a hot / dry climate, because the small water droplets or vapour absorb some heat from the surrounding air, thus cooling the general area.

1) The noise of the fans - they can be extremey intrusive and annoying and may drive customers away.

2) Where does the water being sprayed around come from - i.e. is it hygenic? In a Restaurant the spray is landing on food and and in drinks - many people, especially tourists, may worry about bacterial infection and simpy walk on by.

A year or so ago we had 4 of these things installed on the open air terrace at the R.B.S.C. here in Bangkok - they were removed after a couple of months because of the above problems.

Patrick

I am in agreement with you. I don't like them much myself and have doubts to their effectiveness. However, one of the owners of the restaurant here want to look into getting one so first i need to find a supplier.

Does anyone know of one?

Cheers

Any ideas?

Cheers, Russianrobert

Patrick

If these are common problems with these systems, why are they so popular in Singapore ??

If there are hygenie problems, pretty sure the Singapore goverment would have banned them a long time ago..

Any ideas?

Cheers, Russianrobert

I don't know if these are big enough for the job but both Powerbuy and Macro are selling them with remote control for 4,900 baht look on www.powerbuy.co.th and you'll see them under the small appliances section.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Russianrobert

I don't know if these are big enough for the job but both Powerbuy and Macro are selling them with remote control for 4,900 baht look on www.powerbuy.co.th and you'll see them under the small appliances section.

Dont think these are the ones the OP is after....the cheapest ones I have seen which I think the OP is looking for come in at around THB 18,000

... They are popular all over Bangkok...

So go to one of these places and ask.

Brilliant! I'm in Chennai! :o

:D Sorry - I did actually check your previous topics and saw that some were about Bangkok - one about Marks and Spencer and one about Christmas lunch - so I wrongly assumed you were there. My bad!

Agreed - nobody drinks the tap water in Bangkok, so I don't really like to be forced into inhaling a fine mist of it, and having it land in my food and drink.

Also a correct observation is that a fine spray makes no difference to the temparature of the fanned air in a climate where the air is usually at 100% relative himidity. Only in dry air where the water droplets vapourise and cool the surrounding air do these water fans make sense. In Thailand, they just make everything feel wetter and stickier.

Two other important facts to

Also a correct observation is that a fine spray makes no difference to the temparature of the fanned air in a climate where the air is usually at 100% relative himidity. Only in dry air where the water droplets vapourise and cool the surrounding air do these water fans make sense. In Thailand, they just make everything feel wetter and stickier.

<deleted>.....These fans do work, they are common sight all over Singapore in restaurants and bars having out door areas..and believe temps and RH are higher in Singapore than in Thailand.

Granted they may not be 100% effective at 100% RH, but how many times in year does Thailand experience 100% RH....80% is typical

<deleted>.....These fans do work, they are common sight all over Singapore in restaurants and bars having out door areas..and believe temps and RH are higher in Singapore than in Thailand.

Granted they may not be 100% effective at 100% RH, but how many times in year does Thailand experience 100% RH....80% is typical

No need to be rude - we are having a polite discussion here.

I guess that in countries like Thailand or Singapore you could describe these fans as "artificial sweat". i.e., who needs it? The water is slow to evaporate and makes everything damp. Now if you like to be damp and clammy, that's up to you mate.

Water fans are just a gimmick - they look trendy and are eye catching. Any feeling of additional cooling is merely a placebo effect in people who do not understand the scientific reasons why they are not actually being cooled by these things any more than they would have been by ambient air.

And the tap water is drinkable in Singapore. In Thailand, all the locals refuse to drink it, even the poorest ones. Do you drink the tap water n Thailand? If so, then I guess you have no objection to inhaling it and having it sprayed into your food.

Edited by dbrenn

I'll add my two cents worth here, I have seen these systems used all over central Texas at outdoor patios, restaurant outdoor seating areas, etc. and they do work. The heat and humidity in the summer and fall there is comparable to Thailands, from my personal experience/observation.

There does seem to be some misunderstanding though, in the restaurant areas, the mist is not directed over the people directly, it is released on the perimeter and draws heat from the air in the general area.

The fan type units seem to me to be used in athletic events for the participants or to blow the mist high up into upper reaches of an semi-enclosed space where it escapes into the atmosphere, carring the heat with it.

The degree to which they effectively reduce the air temp is affected by the RH, but they can and do work.