Hiding From Songkran

girlx

In Phuket it lasts for one and a half days, no more. In Chiang Mai it's three days, Bangkok is closer to a week and Pattaya, well, how long is a piece of string! I'm happy to be in Phuket for the holidays.

Chiang Mai is way longer than three days.

You can look forward to a minimum of seven and quire possibly up to ten (particularly out in the suburb's)

Nonsense, see UG's post.

One of my staff members has never been wrong for the last 10 years. She says that - in the city of Chiang Mai - the water throwing will probably start on the afternoon of the 11th and continue on 12, 13, 14 15, and stop, for sure, on 16 (no water on 16). I have never seen anyone throw water on the day that the government says to stop.

That would be one day that will be pretty light, but you should still be dressed for it, and four super-soaker days. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

One of my staff members has never been wrong for the last 10 years. She says that - in the city of Chiang Mai - the water throwing will probably start on the afternoon of the 11th and continue on 12, 13, 14 15, and stop,for sure, on 16 (no water on 16). I have never seen anyone throw water on the day that the government says to stop.

I agree with him I have never seen water on the 16th (in amphur muang), and for the last few years that I have been reading this forum, UG has made a post about his worker never being wrong, and guess what? She has never been wrong.

Hey UG, does she do palm readings? :o

In Phuket it lasts for one and a half days, no more. In Chiang Mai it's three days, Bangkok is closer to a week and Pattaya, well, how long is a piece of string! I'm happy to be in Phuket for the holidays.

You can look forward to a minimum of seven and quire possibly up to ten (particularly out in the suburb's)

Nonsense, see UG's post.

AND, you might do well yourself to refer to "Ajarn's" post.

Anyone who claims that it is only three days has either never been in Chiang Mai during the period or has a very short memory. :o:D

Edited by john b good

Nonsense, see UG's post.

AND, you might do well yourself to refer to "Ajarn's" post.

Anyone who claims that it is only three days has either never been in Chiang Mai during the period or has a very short memory. :D:D

You're both really funny. :o

Let's have an online day count this holiday, first person to see someone throwing water in true Sonkran fashion, anywhere within three blocks of the moat in Chiang Mai, shout and we'll try to agree the first day and count from there? People watering their lawns, taking a leak after too much beer etc, do not count!

Dudes.. the difference in count is most likely due to your standard of living.. If you only have a moped or use the red buses then chances are some stray kid will get you on an additional day. If you live in a suburb and drive a car then it's very unlikely that you'd even notice any water throwing on any day outside of 12, 13, 14, 15. (And 11 April only if you happen to pass the Thapae area)

Well, there's not much water throwing going on in the morning other than perhaps some kids, and then also the evenings tend to be civilized.

And you can do indoor things like see movies or shopping at airport plaza, or visit a hotel with a good pool, spa, massage..

Just bring some dry clothes just in case.

Are you joking that the evenings are civilized ? by what standards. I stayed at the Montri Hotel 2 years ago and was drenched everytime I left the hotel up to 7.30 at night. One clown ,foreigner,had a drum filled with water and large lumps of ice which he thought was fun to throw in people faces . The traditional way of celebrating Songkran must have been a delight but now just an excuse for mayhem. Far from encourage people to come to CM I believe its a masive turn off for people to stay in the city

This is my first Songkran. So when does the water throwing start in earnest? We have a tiny, tiny refrigerator and I want venture out to stock up with fresh veggies at the last moment. What would be the last day that I could walk to one of the traditional Thai fresh veggie markets (like Tanin or Warorot) without getting wet?

I would say 10 April is the last safe day, to make sure, although 11 April in the morning would probably be OK. The first FULL day of water throwing would probably 12 or 13 April. Usually the day the police say is the last day of water throwing, really is (in the city of Chiang Mai). That would be either 15 or 16 April.

Remember that usually no one throws water till about 10 am, or so, so if you go to the market at 7 or 8 AM, you should be fine.

After 10:00, you can always find refuge in one of UG's bookstores --- and get a palm reading at the same time!!

As somebody else said, the key is to realize you need to get going before 10 in the morning. If you can venture out of San Sai around 8.30 - 9.00 you should be fairly safe, but for best results, take any good clothes you wish to remain dry in a tied up plastic back inside a backpack/rucksack and just wear "soakable" riding gear.

The regular way from San Sai is a feeder line into the city, and most of the other passages are the same. All of these will have fairly few people standing on the side of the street throwing water early in the morning, but as the morning progresses there will be an increasing number of pickups carrying country bumpkins with full water barrels and buckets, these you will only be able to avoid if you go early enough.

The following is the safest I can think of that is not a massive detour, but there are no guarantees you'll stay dry throughout of course...

Once you've come down from the Doi Saket road to the Superhighway, you turn left on the Superhighway, u-turn back to the Arcade bus station entrance and then take the small soi to the left which leads down to Thung Hotel Road - on Thung Hotel Road there may be some spots with hoses but probably not too many. Follow Thung Hotel up to Charoen Muang Road, and in the intersection Thung Hotel/Charoen Muang turn right down onto Charoen Muang. Turn left again into Rotfai Road, passing the railway station on your left and continuing until the railway crossing next to one of the Kawila barracks entrances (soldier posted out front marks the spot), pass the intersection and continue parallel to the railway tracks, the road turns right. Keep driving west in towards the city. You will pass a temple on your right hand side and then the Gymkhana Club on your left, before you hit the street just east of the Ping river. Turn right towards Huan Boran restaurant and Rim Ping Supermarket, then turn left on the iron bridge heading down towards Charoen Prathet Road. Follow Charoen Prathet Road til it hits Thaphae Road, turn left into the Night Bazaar (Chang Khlan Road) and keep going past the Loi Kroh/Chang Khlan intersection, down towards the Chang Khlan Road/Sri Donchai Road intersection, turn right down Sri Donchai, turn right at the road behind the Panthip Plaza parking lot, follow it and you will eventually hit the entrance to the Duang Tawan car park on your left.

Your relative humidity may vary. :o

As somebody else said, the key is to realize you need to get going before 10 in the morning. If you can venture out of San Sai around 8.30 - 9.00 you should be fairly safe, but for best results, take any good clothes you wish to remain dry in a tied up plastic back inside a backpack/rucksack and just wear "soakable" riding gear.

The regular way from San Sai is a feeder line into the city, and most of the other passages are the same. All of these will have fairly few people standing on the side of the street throwing water early in the morning, but as the morning progresses there will be an increasing number of pickups carrying country bumpkins with full water barrels and buckets, these you will only be able to avoid if you go early enough.

The following is the safest I can think of that is not a massive detour, but there are no guarantees you'll stay dry throughout of course...

Once you've come down from the Doi Saket road to the Superhighway, you turn left on the Superhighway, u-turn back to the Arcade bus station entrance and then take the small soi to the left which leads down to Thung Hotel Road - on Thung Hotel Road there may be some spots with hoses but probably not too many. Follow Thung Hotel up to Charoen Muang Road, and in the intersection Thung Hotel/Charoen Muang turn right down onto Charoen Muang. Turn left again into Rotfai Road, passing the railway station on your left and continuing until the railway crossing next to one of the Kawila barracks entrances (soldier posted out front marks the spot), pass the intersection and continue parallel to the railway tracks, the road turns right. Keep driving west in towards the city. You will pass a temple on your right hand side and then the Gymkhana Club on your left, before you hit the street just east of the Ping river. Turn right towards Huan Boran restaurant and Rim Ping Supermarket, then turn left on the iron bridge heading down towards Charoen Prathet Road. Follow Charoen Prathet Road til it hits Thaphae Road, turn left into the Night Bazaar (Chang Khlan Road) and keep going past the Loi Kroh/Chang Khlan intersection, down towards the Chang Khlan Road/Sri Donchai Road intersection, turn right down Sri Donchai, turn right at the road behind the Panthip Plaza parking lot, follow it and you will eventually hit the entrance to the Duang Tawan car park on your left.

Your relative humidity may vary. :o

Outstanding. Thank you for all of this. I did not mention that I'll be driving a car, but asked about the route in order to avoid traffic and water mixed with paint. Thanks again for your detailed post.

Outstanding. Thank you for all of this. I did not mention that I'll be driving a car, but asked about the route in order to avoid traffic and water mixed with paint. Thanks again for your detailed post.

I made a quick layout in MSPaint (sorry for the crap quality, I am off to an appointment) The red lines are what I remember being highly congested and to be avoided if you have a car.

Stay safe out there, I unfortunately no longer live in Thailand and will ahve to make due by going to a near by Wat here in the US to get my fix, minus the water splashing.

post-a80397-songkran-map.jpg

p.s. i run my res at 1920x1080, so if this image is huge, mods feel free to edit/remove it so only the reduced image stays

post-30367-1239037379_thumb.jpg

Edited by BlackArtemis

This is my first Songkran. So when does the water throwing start in earnest? We have a tiny, tiny refrigerator and I want venture out to stock up with fresh veggies at the last moment. What would be the last day that I could walk to one of the traditional Thai fresh veggie markets (like Tanin or Warorot) without getting wet?

I would say 10 April is the last safe day, to make sure, although 11 April in the morning would probably be OK. The first FULL day of water throwing would probably 12 or 13 April. Usually the day the police say is the last day of water throwing, really is (in the city of Chiang Mai). That would be either 15 or 16 April.

Remember that usually no one throws water till about 10 am, or so, so if you go to the market at 7 or 8 AM, you should be fine.

After 10:00, you can always find refuge in one of UG's bookstores --- and get a palm reading at the same time!!

Most bookstores are closed during Songkran. Just too much water coming inside and wet people ruining the books. All in all, it ain't worth it. :o

I think I would avoid Thung Hotel Rd and Charoen Muang. For maximum safety I think I'd take the long way around:

So Super Highway all the way to Big C where you go on the flyover towards the Airport (Aom Muang) Road. Then cross the Ping River and turn left and left again immediately after, going under the bridge on to Chang Klan Road. Then Chang Klan all the way to the Night Bazar area, left on Sridonchai and then right just after Pantip Plaza.

Note that anyone doing this route by car will see the added benefit of the least possible congestion, also even later in the day.

Overall the night bazar area becomes very hard to reach due to the traffic and the mostly one way streets. If you do approach it then best from the South.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Your relative humidity may vary. :D

Meadish, if you drive this route you will try to pass the iron bridge against the traffic, you will end up dry but perhaps rather flattened. :o

I think I would avoid Thung Hotel Rd and Charoen Muang. For maximum safety I think I'd take the long way around:

So Super Highway all the way to Big C where you go on the flyover towards the Airport (Aom Muang) Road. Then cross the Ping River and turn left and left again immediately after, going under the bridge on to Chang Klan Road. Then Chang Klan all the way to the Night Bazar area, left on Sridonchai and then right just after Pantip Plaza.

Note that anyone doing this route by car will see the added benefit of the least possible congestion, also even later in the day.

Overall the night bazar area becomes very hard to reach due to the traffic and the mostly one way streets. If you do approach it then best from the South.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the suggestion. I am familiar with the super hwy and main roads (it's the way I go to the Shangri-la for their dinner buffet which I highly recommend) and will take this route.

then turn left on the iron bridge heading down towards Charoen Prathet Road

Can you do this? I thought the Iron Bridge was one-way, heading east(?). But, then again, maybe I thought this 'cause I've only crossed it in my car heading west......

go to the central Duang Tawan Hotel early in the morning and get a day pass in the health club and spend all day swimming, using the gym, reading in the sun, watching TV in the lounge and eating on the terrace or in different restaurants. You don't have to get wet at all.

Join the health club, spend all day swimming and don't have to get wet at all?    :o

I will probably be out pretty much every day, but I do understand that some folks get bored after a day or two.

Like most farangs, I would prefer one or two days to four or five. The thing is, I always try to remember that it is not up to me. :o

actually songkran in chiang mai is not so bad. i was worried for nothing. the last two days i spent at thapae gate and in the area around the THC rooftop bar (right in the action), and it was nowhere near as crazy as khao san road or even koh phangan gets at songkran. i even managed to walk around a lot without getting too wet. i don't like the touristy areas- lots of party people on this or that, dancing to various electronic music all day, not my style anymore i am surprised to say (even though i am dating the main dj). i left them and wandered today over to thapae road, where they had the parade. i liked that area sooo much better- mostly thais, very polite. their water had flowers in it and one guy even sprinkled me with something cool and menthol! lots of little folk bands and parading monks smiling serenely. children and ladyboys all painted up. i think that is why people say that chiang mai is the best place for songkran, it has such a more traditional feel here. i did bow out for a massage for an hour or so in the late afternoon, and took a hot shower after... went back out around 7:30p to wander over to the food market at thapae gate, got almost all the way there and some little kid popped up out of nowhere and totally drenched me! oh well. i ended up (dripping) eating at art bar, and scowling at myself for thinking it was safe and not putting my phone in plastic. now at 10:30p the farang party is still raging and the little thai ones are starting around the gate as well. i do sort of wish this was the last day of all this but i suppose given the current political climate (a tv poster i know took

at victory monument today), it is good to have some lightheartedness.