Internet Disconnect Every 6 To 7 Min

tua2kee

Dear all, I am on TT&T's 2mps plan and have been experiencing internet automatic disconnect every 6 to 7 mins. I am wondering what is the cause?

Hard to say, depends on what area you're in and what they do about excess need in other areas.

I'm on TOT's 2mps, and 3 weeks ago the disconnects got really bad, so we called and were told to reset the modem. I did that, put all the codes in, and the WEP password...and bam, no wireless. I checked, double checked, should have worked. TOT sent out a really good guy, he's set up stuff for us before. Took him a couple of hours of testing to determine that I muffed up one hex digit in the 26-digit WEP code. Very embarrassing for me, but he just laughed it off, very nice about it. *He* said he was embarrassed for taking so long! Anyway, a couple of beers later, everybody was happy, and we're back to wireless.

The point of all this being, if you've reset your modem lately, do a better job of checking the codes than I did! :o

So rain can be the cause of disconnecting Internet in Thailand???

I mean, with my current modem I do not have that problem, even last year during heavy rainy season,... however with my very first modem in Thailand, about 2 years ago, we could experience problems with disconnections especially during rain. Maybe the modem hardware was not as advanced as my current modem.

I am a TRUE user btw and live in Nonthaburi... I am currently in Germany, my home country for vacation.

In any case we will see as soon as I return to Bangkok and endure the next rainy season

Edited by MaxLee

It might be as simple as the phone cord out of your modem and into the splitter. Try changing that first. If you have spare splitter you can try changing that. Do you have noise on phone line?

I don't know what you are using for modem but most have ways to check signal levels (but if you have no idea what they should be probably not have any meaning - but if you post them others may be able to help you).

wow, thanks for all the sharing. i am at Sansai in Chiangmai. guess i'll have to do the trouble shooting starting from the copper wire outside my house to the phone cord to the modem to the splitter unit!! besides these, weather also plays a part. i'll certainly do a test on speedtest.net and post the results soon before and after doing all the checks!! bravo!

Edited by tua2kee

I toptally agree with post #9 big time.

As mentioned, replace the filter (the spliter), borrows someones if you can. I had exactly that problem in another country that had good phone lines and it fixed it.

• 2 weeks later...
wow, thanks for all the sharing. i am at Sansai in Chiangmai. guess i'll have to do the trouble shooting starting from the copper wire outside my house to the phone cord to the modem to the splitter unit!! besides these, weather also plays a part. i'll certainly do a test on speedtest.net and post the results soon before and after doing all the checks!! bravo!

my test on speedtest.net yielded the following results:

d/l speed varies from 700 to 1044 kps

u/l speed varies from 215 to 396 kps

no distortion on voice land line

is this normal for maxnet 2.0mps/512kps?

IPS says that infra can only support 2.0mps although the plan is for 3.0mps

Look at my post #2. Here I mention the capability of a line. If an ISP offers a 2,3,4,5,6 or more mb package it does not mean your line is actually capable for such "speed".

You should ask your provider in the first "is my line capable or not" Your ISP want to sell! S E L L and not many care about the latter as their sales staff has to meet a target.

Ask your ISP to have your line checked. If they say it can only transmit 2mb than downgrade! Thats my advise because in the long run you won't have fun with a crappy 3mb signal.

Post your router line stats - SNR Margin, Line Attenuation etc. This will help determine what the problem is.

Also a faulty adsl modem/router could also cause problems. I went through a similar experience about 2 months ago. Bought a new adsl modem (TP-LINK) and the problems disappeared. Everything has been working good ever since.

Edited by Supernova

For maxnet, try this speedtest here: http://adslcool.com/speedtest.swf?v=1.2 Seems to a better indicator.

Any chance the router is rebooting from heat or something along those lines? If you access the web admin page, does it show that the connection has only been alive for a few minutes? The reason i ask is one of my old routers loses the wifi connection often in heat, but if i access the admin page i can see that the adsl link never went down. it's just the wireless that is restarting.

Took him a couple of hours of testing to determine that I muffed up one hex digit in the 26-digit WEP code.

The point of all this being, if you've reset your modem lately, do a better job of checking the codes than I did! :D

I have aTOT modem (not wireless) and can save the Modem setup/configuration so if a reset is called for I just load the saved file.

:o