Tot Broadband

joka

well, it looks like tot is putting their broadband program into focus. 128/128 is 500 baht, 256/256 is 700 baht, and 1000/256 is 1000 baht. there is no contract. modem is 1200B. i signed up friday, and was told it should be connected by the end of the month.

I stumbled upon the same offer today in Chiang Mai as well, at the Chiang Mai Pantip Plaza... Cheap enough to just give it a try. AND: They don't mind if it's company/corporate use or home use!!!!!!!!! (!!!). So at 500 or 700 baht, that's a steal.

Cheers,

Chanchao

My falang neighbor just signed up for ADSL on his TOT line, I don't believe this is true broad band.

However, we are more than 5km from the central office in Chiang Mai and so far the best information available is that ADSL doesn't work beyong 5km from the cnetral station.

There may be a central station in Mae Rim, which is less that 5km from us, but I doubt it.

Anyway, I am waiting with baited breath to see what happens when the installation technicians come out. Prior threads have inidcated that is the moment of truth.

As I understand it, true broadband requires an different transmission line as opposed to a telephone line upon which ADSL piggy backs?

There have been so many announcements from TOT that I am skeptical about their ability to deliver broadband outside of Bangkok, and then even there, in limited areas only. The capital outlay to install broadband capacity transmisson lines is momumental.

You will have to check with your local TOT office about availability.

The costs are

256/128 500 baht

512/256 700 baht

1024/512 1000 baht

No contract, and you can use your own modem if you wish

I am on 256/128 at present and it can be quite good, but over the last week has been slow.

See comments.

Probably CAT has not caught up with the additional load of new broadband users,

or one of the links is down.

What with the reduction in phone calls and no separate isp fee, it is cheaper than my old dial up!!

I will probably ask for an upgarde to 1024.

Downside:

No e-mail address.

No smtp gateway for sending mail.

The latest thoughts on adsl admit that it can go further than they thought.

My line shows a 63db attenuation which until recently was thought to be too much.

The adsl signal piggybacks on the normal phone line without affecting calls, so I now have

my house phone back in use,

it used to be tied up with internet.

A small splitter box needed where the phone connects to the line.

The rest is at the telephone exchange.

The exchange needs to have a fibre optic link to the ADSL backbone, to support the

necessary bandwidth.

> Downside:

> No e-mail address.

> No smtp gateway for sending mail.

For email you'd likely want your own anyway, and probably already have your own.. SMTP you could use the one for your email address, or turn on the SMTP service if you run Windows 2000 or XP Pro. If not: http://www.argosoft.com/mailserver/

[Woops... just read the link to the other discussion where you write you use the exact same thing as a mailserver.. :o ]

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao

you must have a tot line to use tot broadband, and a tt&t line for their broadband. supposedly the tt&t broadband is pretty well spread in the provinces, and inexpensive. haven't heard about reliability or speed issues, though.

For email you'd likely want your own anyway, and probably already have your own..   SMTP you could use the one for your email address, or turn on the SMTP service if you run Windows 2000 or XP Pro.  If not: http://www.argosoft.com/mailserver/

[Woops... just read the link to the other discussion where you write you use the exact same thing as a mailserver.. :D ]

Cheers,

Chanchao

You will only have your "own e-mail" if you keep up the subscription to your old isp!

eg [email protected] (not a real address).

Then you can read you mail with Eudora or other similar programmes.

The smtp gateway, e.g. mail.loxley.com, will probably not accept your outgoing messages

as you are on a different network, different block of ip addresses.

http://www.argosoft.com/mailserver/ is a good solution, I use it here,

but does assume you have a little networking knowledge to set it up correctly, so that

you can send your mail, but no-one else can use it to send their nasty SPAM.

If you are going broadband you will be logged on for much longer periods.

It is essential to run a firewall, like Zone Alarm.

You also need a good virus checker. AVG has a good free product.

A monitor for Spyware rounds off the protection.

Don't forget to keep windows up to date with the latest fixes, much easier

on a fast broadband link. :o

We took TOT ADSL silver package in December for 700 baht or so. It has been down three times the first 6 weeks. But no more than 4 hours each time. The speed varies from 7 kb/s to 45 kb/s. It is usually 25 kb/s. We are quite happy with it. We were told that we are within 5 km of their center we do not pay for installation, but as it turned out we had to pay anyway. We live near Ladprao, Bangkok. We bought a USB/Ethernet modem/router for 1200 baht or so which is easy to configure and works fine.

• 1 month later...
well, it looks like tot is putting their broadband program into focus. 128/128 is 500 baht, 256/256 is 700 baht, and 1000/256 is 1000 baht. there is no contract. modem is 1200B. i signed up friday, and was told it should be connected by the end of the month.

Excellent, I just posted a question on the Isaan forum about this.