I Really Want To Live In Thailand... Help Me.

ynotme

OK folks, here is my story. I want to take a break from the rat race and work toward getting an online Bachelors degree. I want to live in Thailand because I love Asia (I currently live and work in Japan). I have about $50,000 saved up and hope that will be enough to live off and fund my degree. Here is what I need help on:

My only goals are to learn kick boxing and take my online college courses.

I need a very, very cheap but minimally adequate place to live. Best case scenario is an apartment between 5,000 -11,000 baht. A studio or 1 bedroom is fine. Obviously I need a high speed internet connection. Anything more is just extra. I would also like to be in close proximity to a local college and reputable medical care. My search for apartments has yielded interesting prospects but since I am not familiar with Bangkok geography I have no idea where they are if their location's meet my requirements.

I'm an 11 year computer guy with an MCSE, Security+ and CCNA. If there is a way I can make money doing this let me know. If not, how do I get into the English teaching trade? It really sounds challenging but rewarding.

Other points of interest:

-- Dependable health Insurance

-- Cheap non-illness-inducing food options

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Cheers,

Tony

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems all rather standard. although i always assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that online degrees were bs.

They used to be, but Universities have made major strides. Many get the same respect as brick and mortar classes.

Can you elaborate on “seems rather standard” please?

Thanks,

Tony

Apartments in price range you quoted should be no problem finding.

Food options depends on type of food you desire. You can spend very little if you eat Thai food but if you desire western style foods it can run the cost up real quick depending on where you like to eat. For Thai food I usually stay away from street vendors and opt for small clean restaurants or food courts. Cost usually under 150 baht for the day. Western style food can be had for 150 baht and up per meal.

Health insurance will depend on age but for in-patient only less than 20k baht per year should be no problem.

Apartments in price range you quoted should be no problem finding.

Food options depends on type of food you desire. You can spend very little if you eat Thai food but if you desire western style foods it can run the cost up real quick depending on where you like to eat. For Thai food I usually stay away from street vendors and opt for small clean restaurants or food courts. Cost usually under 150 baht for the day. Western style food can be had for 150 baht and up per meal.

Health insurance will depend on age but for in-patient only less than 20k baht per year should be no problem.

Excellent information!!! What location in Bangkok do you recommend?

Sure. I live here in Pattaya. 6k a month will get you a decent studio apartment on the outskirts of town. I eat at the supermarket cafeterias. ~40 baht for one meal. Healthcare is cheap here and they have good hospitals. I spend about 40k a month, so if you live like me, your money should last about 4 years.

Sure. I live here in Pattaya. 6k a month will get you a decent studio apartment on the outskirts of town. I eat at the supermarket cafeterias. ~40 baht for one meal. Healthcare is cheap here and they have good hospitals. I spend about 40k a month, so if you live like me, your money should last about 4 years.

Please excuse my naivety , but if your rent is only 6k and meals are about 40 baht...what do you spend 40k on per month?

Please excuse my naivety , but if your rent is only 6k and meals are about 40 baht...what do you spend 40k on per month?

:o

Ohhh.....I see.

Ohhh.....I see.

:D:D:D

I think with your savings you really should have no problem. I would recommend living anywhere along the BTS or MRT. From there everywhere is pretty easy to get to. I found my apartment on mrroomfinder.com On a personal note I felt like you a year ago and disparately wanted to live in Thailand. I quit my job and have done just that for a year. It has been fun, challenging and depressing at times. I have focused my time on studying Thai and in my personal time I am studying programming. Though I am very happy with my decision and have no regrets I have decided living in Thailand is not for me, though I will continue vacationing here. I'll be going home in about 2 months. I was careful not to burn any bridges or do something stupid like run up a credit card then expect to never return so transitioning back shouldn't be too difficult.

Also I spend about 40,000 a month too and I don't participate in the nightlife. It's not as cheap to live here as it used to be. But if you need to you can live on less than that, it just won't be very fun.

Edited by wasabi

Why do you want to come here to learn kickboxing? They don't have kickboxing here, that's a western incarnation... you meant MUAY THAI? You're serious enough about wanting to move here to train muay thai and you don't know its name? What's the deal man? How old are you? What are your intentions with your training? Fitness? Fight? I'm not being an ahole, I'm trying to figure you out so to best give you proper advice.

Runner you are so full of <deleted>, you constantly brag about stealing from hookers then you hint that you spend over 30k a month on them? Do you just like to randomly make stuff up to annoy people or what?

If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to leave?

first off there are health reasons. It's very polluted and dirty here. Air and water are of dubious purity. I have taken to boiling all my water and wearing a face mask when I walk around.

I used to love Mai Bphen Rai as I felt and continue to feel many in the USA are too dependent on going by the book and uptight. However the downside to Mai Bphen Rai is there is no quality control and everything is done half ass. I just don't encounter excellence here very often. This disregard being problematic is apparent in the pollution as I mentioned as well as the infrastructure and education of the general population. Though Singapore is the other extreme and I wouldn't want to live in a society like that either.

Thailand feels 20 and at times 30 years behind the USA and I miss feeling like I'm on the cutting edge of technology and architecture. I miss medical breakthroughs, and literary accomplishments that my countrymen have achieved. I never used to feel any sense of national pride. But after living here, maybe in a reactionary way I miss feeling proud of my country. I know Thai's are fiercely national and proud but I just can't buy into it as anything more than an illusion. There are little things like the semi-retarded men who's job it is to blow whistles at traffic who show them no regard. Construction that goes on all hours of the night and day. Loudspeakers, stray dogs, shoddy wiring, intermittent internet, Doctors who give antibiotics for a stubbed toe.

The Xenophobia of many Thai's. The fact I am an alien and am called Farang and have to worry about visas. Toyota Vans barreling down narrow soi's. By the way why are there so many Toyota vans in Thailand? Being lied to and having to lie back to avoid anyone losing face and admit to incompetence. The lack of employment opportunities for the general population which seems to result in ten people manning a cash register or girls selling themselves on Sukhumwit.

I miss the parks and natural wonders of my home country. Making a good salary and knowing if I lose my job I can find another pretty easily. The rule of law. Stability, efficiency.

On the positive side I do think Thai people are more friendly than your average westerner. The food is great, it's a stimulating environment, maybe even too stimulating. I like Thai language. I like being warm.

I know when I return to the USA I will soften up a bit about my dislikes and there will be some things I realize I miss and come to appreciate here but I have cured myself of Thai Fever.

But let me state again I have no regrets about coming here, it might have been the best decision of my life. There were things I needed to see, feel and experience. I needed perspective and to sense the shape of the world from beyond my window. It's been worthwhile to be an outsider, it's given me compassion and tolerance I didn't have before. It's been dam_n good to come here and it will be even better to go home.

Edited by wasabi

Why do you want to come here to learn kickboxing? They don't have kickboxing here, that's a western incarnation... you meant MUAY THAI? You're serious enough about wanting to move here to train muay thai and you don't know its name? What's the deal man? How old are you? What are your intentions with your training? Fitness? Fight? I'm not being an ahole, I'm trying to figure you out so to best give you proper advice.

Dude, you seem pretty intense. That's good. You probably full of invaluable information. I just want to be fit. I don't want to fight.

Thank you for educating me on proper terminology. My priority is my degree. Muay Thai is just for fitness and fun.

But let me state again I have no regrets about coming here, it might have been the best decision of my life. There were things I needed to see, feel and experience. I needed perspective and to sense the shape of the world from beyond my window. It's been worthwhile to be an outsider, it's given me compassion and tolerance I didn't have before. It's been dam_n good to come here and it will be even better to go home.

Thank you for your honesty. It is much appreciated. I need to know the good and the bad...and the in between.

Coming from Japan, life here will be very cheap. (I am quiet jealous at you, Japan fascinates me)

About teaching degree English: not every teaching job requires a teaching degree. Sometimes it is enough when English is your first & most active language (I was told by an English teacher from Ireland)

As you mention food & health (care) in one row: you can always grab some food for 40 baht, but is it healthy? I recommend to make your own food once in awhile for the vits and minerals.

I hear from people that they don't take health insurance but pay the bills directly as the costs are relatively low. Or have you an chronic illness?

A place to stay in BKK for + 11,000 baht...don't be picky...Does it really have to be BKK? Maybe other cities will suit you as well.

Good luck with your start in Thailand!

Coming from Japan, life here will be very cheap. (I am quiet jealous at you, Japan fascinates me)

About teaching degree English: not every teaching job requires a teaching degree. Sometimes it is enough when English is your first & most active language (I was told by an English teacher from Ireland)

As you mention food & health (care) in one row: you can always grab some food for 40 baht, but is it healthy? I recommend to make your own food once in awhile for the vits and minerals.

I hear from people that they don't take health insurance but pay the bills directly as the costs are relatively low. Or have you an chronic illness?

A place to stay in BKK for + 11,000 baht...don't be picky...Does it really have to be BKK? Maybe other cities will suit you as well.

Good luck with your start in Thailand!

Now hear is a question I really need answered. What other cities have:

1. High speed internet access

2. Proximity to a University

3. Proximity to good medical care

Okay you may as well have said Bali. Bkk and Samui are light years apart, why not just hop a flight, book a cheapy hotel and play tourist for a few weeks. Asking for info here is a bit dodgy to many variables considering the sexuall side is without doubt the biggest drawcard. And as some find out when you have truly had your fill then its time to move on. Good luck you sound intellegent and seem to have your priorities in order.

edit changed most to some which is what I meant to say

Edited by zorro1

first off there are health reasons. It's very polluted and dirty here. Air and water are of dubious purity. I have taken to boiling all my water and wearing a face mask when I walk around.

<snip>

Wasabi,

good for you, you seem to have your head screwed on the right way.

Thailand isn't the Paradise that it is promoted as.

I don't love Thailand, I like Thailand.

I cannot disagree with your list of "cons" either..... note; you left out hit & runs are a daily occurance (sp) here.

Good luck back home, you will do well. :o

gd

The obvious: women & booze.

OP this does not sound like such a great idea to me... you are coming with $50,000 and plan on spending it all and having nothing when youre done in 4 years except an advanced degree and some training in Muay Thai? So you will have to start all over again saving money and looking for a job in a global recession economy (possibly soon to be depression if layoffs continue at the current rate)? How do you plan to build your cash and investment reserves up again after your 4 Thailand years are done? MCSE again? Doing that here will be hard for you, and teaching will be hard for you if you do not have an advanced degree or certificate.

My advice, save up for a few more years, take a vacation to Thailand for a week or two at a time, and when you have saved enough to retire and not have to worry about money, then rethink your plan. I have heard many stories of guys selling everything, retiring too early, and having no plan of what happens when the money runs out. Thailand is a black hole when it comes to money.

My advice is to seek the advice of a CPA or financial planner. I was one for 20 years, and if you came to me and told me your plan I would tell you that you are crazy. (I guess I just did that anyway)

Edited by rideswings