I Really Want To Live In Thailand... Help Me.

ynotme

Well, I was deeply dissatisfied with my life in the states. Had no gf, no money, and no life. From my first visit, I worked by butt off scrimping and saving for my return visits. Eventually I found a way to make the move permanent and make a living here. I think the OP will not want to return after he has his taste of life here. Happens to a lot of people who come here. :o

Since some years more and more Westerners come to live in Thailand. 20 years ago it was rather the adventurous, open minded type. Now it is more the average middle class type, who wants to improve his tense, monotonous life back home, knows foreign countries only from short holidays and expects a lot.

First he is excited, but later that good feeling will fade away and he will face problems unknown before. That's the phase, when he will start to feel unsatisfied and stressed. He will start to complain. He will start to hate everything he enjoyed here in the beginning. He will stay here in bitterness. If he is lucky, he can go back...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was deeply dissatisfied with my life in the states. Had no gf, no money, and no life. From my first visit, I worked by butt off scrimping and saving for my return visits. Eventually I found a way to make the move permanent and make a living here. I think the OP will not want to return after he has his taste of life here. Happens to a lot of people who come here. :o

Since some years more and more Westerners come to live in Thailand. 20 years ago it was rather the adventurous, open minded type. Now it is more the average middle class type, who wants to improve his tense, monotonous life back home, knows foreign countries only from short holidays and expects a lot.

First he is excited, but later that good feeling will fade away and he will face problems unknown before. That's the phase, when he will start to feel unsatisfied and stressed. He will start to complain. He will start to hate everything he enjoyed here in the beginning. He will stay here in bitterness. If he is lucky, he can go back...

dam_n, that's some pretty deep shit man.

But I know the kind of person you are talking about...and it's not me. As I said before, I lived most of my life outside of the States. I have never complained in the 7 countries I have lived in. You think you know me...you don't.

dam_n, that's some pretty deep shit man.

But I know the kind of person you are talking about...and it's not me. As I said before, I lived most of my life outside of the States. I have never complained in the 7 countries I have lived in. You think you know me...you don't.

That was a response to "will not want to return after he has his taste of life here. Happens to a lot of people who come here" and not to you, because I don't know you.

You have a severe case of NFI Sanook. You keep eating at your overpriced restuarants, the ones that buy their produce from the same markets as my local street vendors. I'm even betting you have never seen the inside of the kitchen in half the places you are eating in.

You are probably here on a 3 week tour of Thailand before you head down to New Zealand to go sheep riding, you're expertise in the food field is overwhelming :o , sorry what was that...ohhh this is your second holiday in Thailand, my apologies :D

Wasabi has made some very perceptive comments :o .

OP : can you clarify a little? As I understand it, you are enrolled in an online course? Do you need proximity to a University for some purpose such as exam supervision only? If so, your choices are quite a bit more varied.

There may be some place fellow ocean fishers can recommend, somewhere near BKK, if you can give a little more information on that point.

Tony, Have you ever considered trying to get into Stanford San Francisco Bay area and study for a PhD maybe get in with Google and earn some serious money then the worlds your oyster. Stanford is where online multi millionaires are born, its well worth some serious thought. That's where I would be now if i had the chance. Thailand will always be here its not going anywhere....

Your wasting your time lancashirelad - the yanks i've met over here - dont travel well at all - "if this was the states" "this wouldn't happen back home" blah blah

I think Brits travel better and have more understanding due to the fact we have to travel outside of the UK to experience different climates / sports or as our history shows we enjoy travelling and adapting to foreign climates.

I think yanks find it harder to adapt as the majority of them haven't had to travel to foreign destinations for holidays and experience more of a culture shock

I think you're full of shit.

Actually I'm a yank and I agree with him. Let me qualify that, I am a yank who has spent most of his life outside of the States. Germany, Spain, France, Korea, Japan...the list goes on. It's really easy to tell the well-traveled Americans from the others. Obviously it's all about perspective. The well-traveled group appreciates the differences (even if they don't understand them) and the other group, well...you know what they do. It's gotten to the point where I find it very difficult to maintain a healthy friendship with any one who hasn't spent a considerable amount of time in at least 3 different countries. I am not trying to be a snob, that's just the way it is. Of course people that don't travel think I'm weird.

Although one thing can certainly be said about Brits also, many of them do tend to raise hel_l where ever they go. Maybe that is the British version of "the other" group. :D

One thing you learn quickly when traveling is that every culture has it's good and bad. There is no perfect culture...except maybe Switzerland.

I think a lot of Brits are a nightmare (me being one :o )

But Sarah Palin only got her passport in 2006...and that was probaly because she wanted to go to Mexico :D :D

RAZZ

$50.000 what......... USD, EURO, POUND???????? O_o...

USD. I guess that is pretty important information...my bad.

To be honest I thought the $ sign kind of indicated the currency.

it did, but only for people with eyes and brains

I sent you persoanl message

good luck

You have a severe case of NFI Sanook. You keep eating at your overpriced restuarants, the ones that buy their produce from the same markets as my local street vendors. I'm even betting you have never seen the inside of the kitchen in half the places you are eating in.

You are probably here on a 3 week tour of Thailand before you head down to New Zealand to go sheep riding, you're expertise in the food field is overwhelming :o , sorry what was that...ohhh this is your second holiday in Thailand, my apologies :D

<deleted> is NFI?

neversaydie what are you a flookin michelin star chef !

I agree the food may come from the same farmers /markets but its the way its stored and prepared - you can mock, laugh or whatever but i prefer to eat in clean environments - its upto you where you eat with cockroaches, rats, dog urine etc all around you ! enjoy your meal - sep lyder u numpty

back to the OP

Take your $50k in dollars and go to a 1st World country with reputable universities and have a fun life for 3 years. Obtain an education in something that will enable you to travel around the world and get paid big bucks too - engineering / oil / petrochemicals etc

Wasabi. Are you male or female? Male i guess. Under 40 or over? Just 20's perhaps? Have you cultivated many friendships in Thailand, both farang & Thai? Do you go out at night?

You need to lighten up, lay back & become more accepting. Being away from home is not the same as being at home.

You say you miss the parks & places of interest. Have you been to the oh-so-many of those all around the Kingdom of Thailand? I don't know where you stay, but i'd dare guess there's a park of some sort not a mile from you right now.

Farang is a colloquial term for a white foreigner. Although technicially, it is an insult, its widely not used with such intention. Are you from the northern states? Have you never spoken derogatorily about any one from the southern states or mexico in your community?

Your wasting your time lancashirelad - the yanks i've met over here - dont travel well at all - "if this was the states" "this wouldn't happen back home" blah blah

I think Brits travel better and have more understanding due to the fact we have to travel outside of the UK to experience different climates / sports or as our history shows we enjoy travelling and adapting to foreign climates.

I think yanks find it harder to adapt as the majority of them haven't had to travel to foreign destinations for holidays and experience more of a culture shock

Wasabi - teenagers worldwide diss everyone - get over it man - you really think you are that worthy that everyone is talking about you cus you is farang :o

Whoa, hold on there buddy. I happen to see it the other way around, after 8 years of being here its only been the Brits that I have experienced racism and such heavy angst from. The few Americans that I see living here long term are much more amiable (almost to a fault) to the point of often being taken advantage of for their kindness and willingness to accommodate those of a different culture.

Ok but anyway, for the OP,

Check it out, I would say this, firstly how much is your online Degree gonna cost? $10,000? $20,000? Lets say $15,000, ok now ya got $35K left. I would not exchange it all now, give the dollar a chance to rebound or the baht a chance to sink a lil.

Ok so lets look at $35K in baht, say conservitively = 1,225,000 so thats about 600K a year or 50,000 a month

Ya figure your expenses are gonna look like; (assuming Pattaya, were I would go because it's cheaper and easier for a farang to get along alone)

1) rent + utilities = 8,000

2) Muy Thai (Fairtex Pattaya mabey, stay a way from Tony's) = Mabey 10,000

3) Food = 9000

4) Lek, Noi, Poo, Pla, Aom ect... = 10-15000

Insurance costs are neglegble. So your looking at 42K with about 8K play room. Not bad and you will have the time of your life!

I wish the bests for you!

Enjoy, rember to suit up and stay safe.

Oh and finaly, and I can't stress this enough, don't love them hoes, its never worth it. Focus on your degree and Muy Thai.

Sure. I live here in Pattaya. 6k a month will get you a decent studio apartment on the outskirts of town. I eat at the supermarket cafeterias. ~40 baht for one meal. Healthcare is cheap here and they have good hospitals. I spend about 40k a month, so if you live like me, your money should last about 4 years.

Please excuse my naivety , but if your rent is only 6k and meals are about 40 baht...what do you spend 40k on per month?

whores

OP this does not sound like such a great idea to me... you are coming with $50,000 and plan on spending it all and having nothing when youre done in 4 years except an advanced degree and some training in Muay Thai? So you will have to start all over again saving money and looking for a job in a global recession economy (possibly soon to be depression if layoffs continue at the current rate)? How do you plan to build your cash and investment reserves up again after your 4 Thailand years are done? MCSE again? Doing that here will be hard for you, and teaching will be hard for you if you do not have an advanced degree or certificate.

My advice, save up for a few more years, take a vacation to Thailand for a week or two at a time, and when you have saved enough to retire and not have to worry about money, then rethink your plan. I have heard many stories of guys selling everything, retiring too early, and having no plan of what happens when the money runs out. Thailand is a black hole when it comes to money.

My advice is to seek the advice of a CPA or financial planner. I was one for 20 years, and if you came to me and told me your plan I would tell you that you are crazy. (I guess I just did that anyway)

why would he need 4 years to complete a bachelor online?

<deleted> is NFI?

I agree the food may come from the same farmers /markets but its the way its stored and prepared - you can mock, laugh or whatever but i prefer to eat in clean environments - its upto you where you eat with cockroaches, rats, dog urine etc all around you ! enjoy your meal - sep lyder u numpty

back to the OP

Take your $50k in dollars and go to a 1st World country with reputable universities and have a fun life for 3 years. Obtain an education in something that will enable you to travel around the world and get paid big bucks too - engineering / oil / petrochemicals etc

Okay sanook, you have confirmed what I thought.....severe case of NFI. :D

<deleted> is NFI?

back to the OP

Okay sanook, you have confirmed what I thought.....severe case of NFI. :D

You said it neverdie, so it must be true, how interesting :D

[quote name='ynotme' post='2642622' d

Thank you for your honesty. It is much appreciated. I need to know the good and the bad...and the in between.

Everyone's experience of living here is different. It seems you want some sort of A to Z reasons & answers for moving here. "the good, the bad and the in between", are you for real? Some people come and find out for themselves if it suits them or not. There's enough information in this forum to help without having to ask for help....seems kind of childish to ask in a public forum, " I want to live in Thailand....Help Me"? get a life........and waving that $50k around will definitely get you a lot of pm's. It appears you have no sense of adventure so perhaps better to stay where you are...

....I just read another one of your posts and you say you've lived in several other countries.....did you cry for help before going to those other countries as well ?

Edited by JRinger

Now hear is a question I really need answered. What other cities have:

1. High speed internet access

From where I'm sitting, Thailand does not have high speed Internet access.

But the rest is all good...

OK folks, here is my story. I want to take a break from the rat race and work toward getting an online Bachelors degree. I want to live in Thailand because I love Asia (I currently live and work in Japan). I have about $50,000 saved up and hope that will be enough to live off and fund my degree. Here is what I need help on:

My only goals are to learn kick boxing and take my online college courses.

I need a very, very cheap but minimally adequate place to live. Best case scenario is an apartment between 5,000 -11,000 baht. A studio or 1 bedroom is fine. Obviously I need a high speed internet connection. Anything more is just extra. I would also like to be in close proximity to a local college and reputable medical care. My search for apartments has yielded interesting prospects but since I am not familiar with Bangkok geography I have no idea where they are if their location's meet my requirements.

I'm an 11 year computer guy with an MCSE, Security+ and CCNA. If there is a way I can make money doing this let me know. If not, how do I get into the English teaching trade? It really sounds challenging but rewarding.

Other points of interest:

-- Dependable health Insurance

-- Cheap non-illness-inducing food options

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Cheers,

Tony

Tony,

Hi....Just joined this group, i came across your post, seems i can help a bit.....You didnt' mention your nationality and have you finished your Bachelor online Yet? better be and let me know....Maybe i could help , im an ex-teacher and now self retired, i know some schools who could hire you .....and other inquiries , will come along answered and everythng comes very easy.....

Here comes my story, including my episode of Bangkok Blues.

I moved to Bangkok 3,5 years ago. I was 24 and had enough money to live here and enjoy my time. I lived downtown at Sukhumvit near the Emporium for a year in a nice two room apartment and moved for another year to Sathorn.

The first year was great! Everything was new and exciting I really enjoyed my time. The second year was way more depressing. I got tired of the pollution, the noise, the "stupidity" and already made plans to leave the country and head back to Europe.

This is when my girlfriend that I had been with pretty much since I moved here found a really cute house in Nonthaburi. It's funny to say that but this completely changed everything for me. We moved here and love it. Way less pollution, a nice environment and I'm in 30 minutes at Siam Square with a taxi.

The internet is as good/bad as in Bangkok by the way. Anyway I miss some things here and starting from next year we will buy a caravan in Europe and live half a year in it (spring and summer). This way I can still enjoy Europe whenever the weather is good enough and go back to Thailand to skip the cold and grey winter months.

Ok, here goes. I'm 70 and have spent more than 30 years all over Europe, Middle East, Africa, South East Asia, Australia, etc.

First: Fast Internet???? 5555555 We have 2 mbyte dsl that downloads most of the time at around 2-4 KBytes!!!!! The most it gets up to is about 40 KBytes.

Second: I live in Chiang Rai. I'm spending about 10-12,000 baat per month. Cook all my own food which I buy from the local markets. My current rent is 5000 per month. I live what would probably be described as a very active monk's life.

I have ridden my bike 1000 miles per month since the start of this year. I'm am self studying Thai language. Speaking and reading. There are plenty of things to keep me busy and keep my mind active up here.

Also, I eat from street vendors if I buy prepared food because I can see them prepare it. If the restaurant is one with the kitchen out front that you walk by then that is ok as well and they usually charge the same as the street vendors.

There is enough dislike of foreigners up here to go around but I find that most people are quite friendly. I don't think I will ever make a deep friendship with a Thai because they don't appear, to me, to do that like we do in the States.

Drunk driving is a real hazard if you go out at night. I don't.

"Prueng nii" is Thai for "manana". Get used to it.

It's very easy to get railroaded and or scammed by cab drivers, govt officials, police etc. That usually happens more in the big cities. But, 99.9% of the market people I deal with charge me the same price as they do Thais. I know the going prices of fresh fruits and vegetables and just walk away from someone who is trying to rip me off.

The first time I came here I was wearing rose colored glasses. I've now gotten rid of them. Most of the young girls I know here are ones who worked with me in the Grand Canyon during their summer vacation, so they are mostly engineers, dentists, accountants etc. smarter than your average Thai. I was quite impressed with them. Now that I've met drunks, beggars, lazy people etc. the initial impression has been taken down a few pegs.

If I manage to get the retirement extension in early may I will probably go back to the States for the summer. I think that I need a few months in the States each year to keep my feelings on an even keel. Otherwise I might just get to start hating the Thais. I know several older guys who do the same thing. 8 or 9 months here, 3 or 4 months back home. It costs a bunch for airfare but I spend so little here that it isn't really a problem.

Likes: I really like the weather here. My body operates well in heat. The tropical fruit selection is great. The dam_n rice is addictive. I only eat brown rice and jasmine at that. If I can get it I eat black rice and red rice as well. In the States I use habanero hot sauce. I get hot sauce about the same hot scale as that here. I eat it for breakfast. Oh yeah most of the fruit is fresh from the field. I can ride my bike quite safely almost everyday. Even on the freeway.

Dislikes: I miss the Ponderosa pine forests. Really good multigrain bread. Cheap good technology items. Even though I'm starting to speak quite a bit of Thai, I can't understand one single word that they say. Reading Thai is almost as bad as listening to it. (But then that should help keep the alzheimers at bay for awhile) Going downhill around a sharp corner on the bike at 30 mph and running over a burmese python. (luckily only about an 8 foot baby). I really can't handle corruption. The other long timers can tell you hours of horror stories. Most of the dislikes are just about universal. As you said everyplace has it's good and bad.

Yeah, Switzerland is a nice place to visit, but talk about conservative. Wheeew

There's more but that's enough for now.

BTW, dropping out is great. More people should try it.

BTW, dropping out is great. More people should try it.

Absolutely. I feel sorry for folks who spend their whole life in their hometown. But then again, everybody has their own way to find happiness this just wouldn't work for me.

Ok, here goes. I'm 70 and ...

Likes: I really like the weather here. My body operates well in heat. The tropical fruit selection is great. The dam_n rice is addictive. I only eat brown rice and jasmine at that. If I can get it I eat black rice and red rice as well. In the States I use habanero hot sauce. I get hot sauce about the same hot scale as that here. I eat it for breakfast. Oh yeah most of the fruit is fresh from the field. I can ride my bike quite safely almost everyday. Even on the freeway.

Dislikes: I miss the Ponderosa pine forests. Really good multigrain bread. Cheap good technology items. Even though I'm starting to speak quite a bit of Thai, I can't understand one single word that they say. Reading Thai is almost as bad as listening to it. (But then that should help keep the alzheimers at bay for awhile) Going downhill around a sharp corner on the bike at 30 mph and running over a burmese python. (luckily only about an 8 foot baby). I really can't handle corruption. The other long timers can tell you hours of horror stories. Most of the dislikes are just about universal. As you said everyplace has it's good and bad.

This was like a combination of Baz Lurhmanns 'Everybody's Free' and Brook's scene in The Shawshank Redemption.

Edited by RoastLamb

No matter how long you live in Thailand, you will always be a Farang. That means you're not going to really settle down in Thailand. The language is truly hard to learn and even if you understand some Thai, they will talk strange dialects so that you don't understand a word. To find a well paid job is literally impossible. Companies are forced to employ Thai staff and not Farangs!

You can not buy land or any other kind of property. BUT, Thailand is nice if you go for holidays, nice weather, nice food, shopping, friendly girls all over. Getting serious with Thailand is abnormal :o

Remember to really do some research before you find somewhere to stay.

And take into account the possibility of getting good internet within the location you choose.

Stay far away from TOT internet packages.

Me and so many others have found out that the in most cases the best internet is from TT&T, but not just any package from them.

The best value for money from TT&T is the 2mbit premier package, this one should be sufficient for most online courses and it also has 1mbit upload.

This will set you back about 1900 baht per month.

So when you are looking for a place to stay, it is then important to make sure that you are within an area where TT&T supplies internet.

We do also have a vibrant community of foreigners in Phuket Town and greater Phuket area, a large number of young people are part of the crowd (20s to 40s) and some above, nice social events and a soccer team.

I am sure some of the guys also do some muay tai, or knows where to find it.

Even some are also doing online degrees.

Good luck to OP!