Heart Operation

Wolfie

My father is very sick and has been advised that he needs a Heart Bypass operation.

I'm looking around at hospitals to try and find out how much such a procedure would cost. Does anyone have any experience with the costs and which hospitals can do the operation?

I did a triple bypass at Bumrungrad 2 months ago.

I can really recommend them for outstanding service and so far a very good job.

The total cost with all examinations, medications, operation etc. ended up at 820 000 Bath.

Total stay at hospital was nine days.

I did a triple bypass at Bumrungrad 2 months ago.

I can really recommend them for outstanding service and so far a very good job.

The total cost with all examinations, medications, operation etc. ended up at 820 000 Bath.

Total stay at hospital was nine days.

450000 is a very competitive price. Even upcountry government hospitals will charge a farang more than 300000.

Best is probably Bumrungrad.

Bangkok Hospital Pattaya Heart Center is the only referral hospital in the area, for the cases like this, pls. contact the hospital directly by sending your inquiry together with some of the heart evaluation history and any underlying diseases. The hospital offers many promotions and membership discounts that could be helpful during the whole treatment.

Prices are interesting.

Last month a friend's father (Thai) had a bypass at a Government Hospital in Bangkok. Told last November it was needed and had it done in March.

His cost... 50000 baht all up, including after care medication. He is an ordainary self employed citizen aged 62.

The private Hospitals are thriving on falang patients.

BAYBOY

Prices are interesting.

Last month a friend's father (Thai) had a bypass at a Government Hospital in Bangkok. Told last November it was needed and had it done in March.

His cost... 50000 baht all up, including after care medication. He is an ordainary self employed citizen aged 62.

The private Hospitals are thriving on falang patients.

BAYBOY

...and often tell you that you need heart surgery when you really don't.

Several years ago I had a heart attack, rushed to Queen Sirikit Heart center in Khon Kaen and the doctor insisted on doing a 'balloon'/angiogram to "save my life".

When I asked him, "what happens if that doesn't work", he replied, "we will do a bypass" and of course I had to sign authorization before.....Well, laying in Intensive Care the doctor had me shaved from neck to knees to be ready for the operation, etc. I told him I wanted to try drugs first to see if that helped. Well, he got pretty angry with me and said, "I'm only trying to save your life".......after two days recovering from all the drugs they did give me I did a stress test and was released with lots of pills to take everyday....ok, I took them on and off for awhile then stopped. I cut way down on alcohol, stopped smoking and now my blood pressure is usually around 140/90....It was around 150+ until I came across a Thai herb that completely got rid of chest pains, etc., etc., etc.

The four days cost me 26,000 baht. Maybe most people would have said ok, go ahead and cut me open but I understand that they are there to make money and if we weren't sick they wouldn't have jobs......by the way...I did read a lot about the angiograms and most people who have them are lucky to live one or two years after......some much longer, some shorter.

Edited by JRinger

If cost is a major constraint, best government hospital for this is Rachawithi (near Victory Monument).

Quality of care is excellent but initial red tape a hassle and very limited English speaking.