Thai Banks To Start Charging For Atm Withdrawals ...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well lets see speaking of taxes, the tax revenue is down, but the budget is on a over spend direction, Money has to come from somewhere to supply the stimilus. They said they would get the money from foriegn sources, they didn't how they would do that. But, I'm beginning to get the picture. Whats happening here isn't chump change and they don't owe satang to anyone. The banks are going to loan this money out and make even more on it. My problem this is going to smoothly, so as I sit here I wonder whats next?

This was the year I was going to bring in some serious money not happening now, thats for sure.

Got to be a better way. They can have the minimums from now on.

And just think today I was withdrawing money from a ATm..A bangkok bank machine and a Kasakorn machine next to each other! Yes you are right I picked the bloody bangkok bank machine..150 baht worse off now..

Its just greed pure and simple...The banks already give a reduced rate i.e. on average 2 baht less per GPB as a commision for themselves..was that not enough?

So all I can do is get my limit increased to 20,000baht per withdrawell...what a pain..another shot in the foot..have them any feet left..

Oh yes best to check your local hospital as well..I did and they have no Tamiflu anti virralls..Thats Chiang rai..

What are you talking about?

Look at the Bangkok Bank rates

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...tes/default.htm

Today Bangkok bank will give you 51.72, the difference between their buying and selling rate (52.36) is 0.64 Baht. I doubt that you'd get such a good deal anywhere else in the world. If you get much less than the 51.72 rate, that is YOUR bank loading the charges, not Bangkok Bank.

THE SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM

Well....

There is one alternative! and its what i would be doing but many may frown upon the idea!

If you are indeed travelling to Thailand for your holidays and you know that you will be staying in a nice hotel with safety depoit box (in Bangkok) first

bring with you (up to 10,000 pounds) in Cash

Dont panic - its not Mexico or Brazil here yet!

Wear a money belt so that you are not panicking on the plane and the cash is close to you

when you arrive in your hotel pop it into your safety deposit box or safe...

The next day head straight to

PRATUNAM (Super Rich)

PM me if you nee dthe phone number

You will beat the hel_l out of any BANK exchange rates by at least 1 baht to the pound

(provided you are exchanging notes of 50s or the highest you can get, which are easier to carry anyways)

Then you beat the banks crappy exchange rates, plus the UK exchange rates, plus the 150 fee....

Now... you could go to a KASIKORN bank and try your hand at opening a checking account to deposit the money and get an ATM card, but this isnt always so easy and does depend upon your visa and what bank you try, you would also need an address of residence but give it a go because i know some people have had success....

There will be small fees or no fees to withdraw your money with a thai atm and you can travel cheaply again...

OR....

Dont bother and dont stress!

keep your money in the safe at your hotel or safety deposit box and be sensible, wear a money belt, and dont get blind drunk with wads of cash

either way the ammount you will save makes up for it...

More importantly you are shafting all the banks and making a stand for your hard earned cash...

Banks these days are not so safe and always trying to rip us off - It seems we have grown up to believe we need banks and they are safe and secure... when infact more fraud occurs via the banks than it would if we never used them at all.

Perhaps we should now consider going back to the old days where safes and cash under the bed is infact the best way to protect our earnings...

If we are sensible about things we can indeed exist without banks once again - we just need to use our

Edited by djlest

And just think today I was withdrawing money from a ATm..A bangkok bank machine and a Kasakorn machine next to each other! Yes you are right I picked the bloody bangkok bank machine..150 baht worse off now..

Its just greed pure and simple...The banks already give a reduced rate i.e. on average 2 baht less per GPB as a commision for themselves..was that not enough?

So all I can do is get my limit increased to 20,000baht per withdrawell...what a pain..another shot in the foot..have them any feet left..

Oh yes best to check your local hospital as well..I did and they have no Tamiflu anti virralls..Thats Chiang rai..

Today Bangkok bank will give you 51.72, the difference between their buying and selling rate (52.36) is 0.64 Baht. I doubt that you'd get such a good deal anywhere else in the world. If you get much less than the 51.72 rate, that is YOUR bank loading the charges, not Bangkok Bank.

Except that Bangkok Bank does NOT determine the exchange rate on a Visa Card ATM withdrawal.

It is Visa International in San Mateo.

Bill

THE SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM

Well....

There is one alternative! and its what i would be doing but many may frown upon the idea!

If you are indeed travelling to Thailand for your holidays and you know that you will be staying in a nice hotel with safety depoit box (in Bangkok) first

bring with you (up to 10,000 pounds) in Cash

Dont panic - its not Mexico or Brazil here yet!

Wear a money belt so that you are not panicking on the plane and the cash is close to you

when you arrive in your hotel pop it into your safety deposit box or safe...

The next day head straight to

PRATUNAM (Super Rich)

PM me if you nee dthe phone number

You will beat the hel_l out of any BANK exchange rates by at least 1 baht to the pound

(provided you are exchanging notes of 50s or the highest you can get, which are easier to carry anyways)

Then you beat the banks crappy exchange rates, plus the UK exchange rates, plus the 150 fee....

Now... you could go to a KASIKORN bank and try your hand at opening a checking account to deposit the money and get an ATM card, but this isnt always so easy and does depend upon your visa and what bank you try, but give it a go .... There will be small fees or no fees to withdraw your money and you can travel cheaply again...

OR....

Dont bother, keep your money in the safe at your hotel or safety deposit box and be sensible, wear a money belt, and dont get blind drunk with wads of cash

either way the ammount you will save makes up for it... More importantly you are shafting all the banks and making a stand for your hard earned cash...

NOT a checking account

What you need is only a Savings Account - which if they accept you as a Customer - will be opened in minutes - complete with a Visa Debit Card - YES within minutes.

And I know they have done this for a holder of a Tourist Visa.

Bill

Edited by WilliamIV

But it was these very same idiots that came to Thailand throwing excessive tips around and raising Thais expectations and greed that have taught them that they can indeed get away with it and shaft the farangs sensless.

Well done Thailand.... Tourism is down, the baht strong, recession bites, and the banks are hungry for more explotation...

haha...

Cambodia and Laos may well be the next destination for us to head too... why not give it a try guys - Thailand had its wonderland status for far too long...

Good comments on Nationwide, but have you ever given thought to the fact that Cambodia and Laos may not want you? I certainly cannot buy freehold there.

@ Bill

I stand corrected if thats true

I was under the impression that an address would be required so for a tourist travelling on holiday im not 100% sure that even a savings account is possible.

But i did get one the same as you did a few years back, with minimal of fuss on a tourist visa. and yes your are right it was a savings account with ATM card.

Bill what bank and branch did they open yours at? it may help someone

Edited by djlest

But it was these very same idiots that came to Thailand throwing excessive tips around and raising Thais expectations and greed that have taught them that they can indeed get away with it and shaft the farangs sensless.

Well done Thailand.... Tourism is down, the baht strong, recession bites, and the banks are hungry for more explotation...

haha...

Cambodia and Laos may well be the next destination for us to head too... why not give it a try guys - Thailand had its wonderland status for far too long...

Good comments on Nationwide, but have you ever given thought to the fact that Cambodia and Laos may not want you? I certainly cannot buy freehold there.

Well i was speaking from a tourists perspective...

IM not sure what you mean about free hold (you mean land title deeds)?

i was under the impression Cambodia it was possible but Laos it was not but still with the usual mind bending loops... anyways i best not divert the post if it is land you speaking of...

@ Bill

I was under the impression that an address would be required so for a tourist travelling on holiday im not 100% sure that even a savings account is possible.

But i did get one the same as you did a few years back, with minimal of fuss on a tourist visa. and yes your are right it was a savings account with ATM card.

I wrote Savings account with VISA Debit Card (that is different from an ATM card).

It was at Kasikorn Bank, Happyland, Ladprao Road - also about a year ago.

Bill

Except that Bangkok Bank does NOT determine the exchange rate on a Visa Card ATM withdrawal.

It is Visa International in San Mateo.

Bill

Whatever the exchange rate set by Visa, it's very close to the Bangkok Bank's TT rate and that is the rate that is charged to your home bank.

If you have a Nationwide card you will get an exchange rate very close to the BKB TT rate. Certainly NOT a 2 Baht difference!

In the past I've had to draw cash from my Nationwide and Lloyds account due to daily limits. I didn't know about the over the counter thing then. Both withdrawals from the same ATM within seconds of each other at a Bangkok Bank ATM. The LLoyds exchange rate was was 2 and a half % worse than with the Nationwide. On top of that Lloyds charged 1 and half % fee. At that time a difference of 4% between Nationwide and Lloyds.

The final exchange rate that appears on your statement depends on your home bank NOT the Visa rate.

Some will charge the Visa rate like Nationwide, others will load the rate in their favour.

This I know from experience, so if somebody gets an exchange rate 2 baht less than the Thai banks' rate it is THEIR bank hiking the charges.

@ Bill

I wrote Savings account with VISA Debit Card (that is different from an ATM card).

Bill

erm ... a VISA DEBIT CARD is an ATM card

ATM meaning 'Automated Teller Macine' card

any card you can use from a machine is an ATM card... or at least thats how Thais see it and me too

I should be more specific Bill - except my Kasikorn card actually says 'K Debit Card' but it has an electronic visa sign

either way they all do the same thing - withdraw cash....

but dont expect to use them online for shopping! regardless of the visa sign -

it doesnt do much just looks nice!

I tried it and if you want the perks of a real visa then log in to the website and apply for K banking virtual debit card, then you will have real visa and its free which is pretty cool...

"Now... you could go to a KASIKORN bank and try your hand at opening a checking account to deposit the money and get an ATM card, but this isnt always so easy and does depend upon your visa and what bank you try, you would also need an address of residence but give it a go because i know some people have had success...."

I opened up a Kasikorn Savings Account on a Tourist Visa 10 days ago at the branch in the Exchange Tower/Asoke. Done with ease. In and out in 20 minutes. gave my hotel address even though I could of used the house address up in Nongbulampoo. Then went next door to the KTB branch, closed out my two accounts and shoved the money into Kasikorn.

"Now... you could go to a KASIKORN bank and try your hand at opening a checking account to deposit the money and get an ATM card, but this isnt always so easy and does depend upon your visa and what bank you try, you would also need an address of residence but give it a go because i know some people have had success...."

I opened up a Kasikorn Savings Account on a Tourist Visa 10 days ago at the branch in the Exchange Tower/Asoke. Done with ease. In and out in 20 minutes. gave my hotel address even though I could of used the house address up in Nongbulampoo. Then went next door to the KTB branch, closed out my two accounts and shoved the money into Kasikorn.

Thats great news!

I tried to open savings accounts back in 2007 - which were not easy at all in sukumvit road and i got knocked back from about 3 and that was with a years B visa...

But times change and they really do need our money right now

For anyone else i had sucess last month in Ramkhamheang Kasikorn branch, but its quite far out towards minburi on the left side...

For those who want to try an SCB bank, The mall ramkhamheang were kind to me about 6 years ago too... But dont expect anyone to speak a word of english!

@ Bill

Bill

any card you can use from a machine is an ATM card... or at least thats how Thais see it and me too

I should be more specific Bill - except my Kasikorn card actually says 'K Debit Card' but it has an electronic visa sign

I tried it and if you want the perks of a real visa then log in to the website and apply for K banking virtual debit card, then you will have real visa and its free which is pretty cool...

Sorry - I do NOT agree with you.

Of course you can use a Visa Debit Card in an ATM

But an ATM card is just THAT - you can use it ONLY in the ATM

The Visa Debit Card you CAN use for Shopping - but NOT on the Internet.

I have their Virtual Online Shopping Card - yes it is Brilliant.

Bill

ray23: "This is place is definitely in it's own world ... If the international news would pick it up they would drop that fee in a heart beat ... So worried about tourist I think they have made it very clear what their intent is in getting them here"

Whoever came up with the Mickey-mouse idea of the confiscatory 150 Baht fee wasn't even thinking about the offensive blow to the Expat community -- a sizable group that provides a very substantial contribution of revenue to the various Thai communities where they live.

They know that we're trapped here, either by choice or necessity, and Expats have to Kowtow to whatever senseless silly idea they come up with next.

Tourism? -- They allow the newest flashiest airport in Asia to be shut down for days and the ASEAN Summit to be trashed -- both events by a few renegade criminals as the TV coverage is flashed around the planet telling the world that Siam doesn't have it's act together.

Then they temporarily drop a few Visa fees that don't affect most tourists anyway and offer a few free hotel rooms, hoping that the Farangs, who they don't really like very much anyway, will come back and spend more money!

They force many Expats to spend thousands of Baht, many times per year, scurrying back and forth to Thai borders to have a piece of paper stamped that could easily have been done at their local Immigration office - where Siam could have collected many tens-of-millions of Baht in revenue that the border-run entrepreneurs are happy to stuff in their pockets because the Thais haven't figured out that profit-center yet.

Welcome to Paradise! :)

Yes, and there was a short lived period there when they would not sell you a Mobile SIM card without identification

But, if I were to open I bank account now, after 23 pages of this thread, I sure wouldn't jump on to SCB since they were the FIRST on the 150 THB ATM card bandwagon

Vote for Government Savings Bank, Kasikorn Bank, or Bank of Ayudhya

GSB.jpg180px-Thai_Farmer_Bank.jpgBankofAyudhya.jpg

Can someone explain why Nationwide is meant to be useful?

Their Website says its only for UK Residents.

Bill

That's a fair question. Assuming that you're aware of the beneficial rates available to you once you've got one, that still leaves the issue of getting one in the first place. From my experience, 3 years ago before I departed the UK to live here in LOS, you had to have a valid UK address in order to get one. My take is that after that it's a grey area and actually they really don't care. Having said that, I take care to use the phrase "staying long-term in Thailand" rather than "living in/moved to Thailand" on the odd occasion when I've had to call Natiowide customer service; I'm convinced they know the score :D - but why invite a problem? Technically, I still qualify - as I still have a property in UK rented out (though I get tax papers sent by HMRC to me in Chiang Mai).

That does still leave me with the issue of how to get my cards replaced when they expire (Visa credit card end of May 2009) and two Flexaccount cards in 2010. Off-topic as far as this thread goes, but I'd really appreciate any helpful thoughts about that from others in the same position (maybe by PM?)........ :)

That does still leave me with the issue of how to get my cards replaced when they expire (Visa credit card end of May 2009) and two Flexaccount cards in 2010. Off-topic as far as this thread goes, but I'd really appreciate any helpful thoughts about that from others in the same position (maybe by PM?)........ :)

How about starting a new topic on that question, I'd be interested to hear some strategies on card replacement.

That does still leave me with the issue of how to get my cards replaced when they expire (Visa credit card end of May 2009) and two Flexaccount cards in 2010. .

If you have family in the Uk, you can change your address to theirs. All correspondence will go to their address and they can forward the cards.

"That does still leave me with the issue of how to get my cards replaced when they expire (Visa credit card end of May 2009) and two Flexaccount cards in 2010. Off-topic as far as this thread goes, but I'd really appreciate any helpful thoughts about that from others in the same position"

I don't know how widely available EarthMail is yet, but it might be an option --

http://www.forbes.com/2009/03/20/earth-cla...ech09-mail.html

http://www.earthclassmail.com

using a hotel address sounds like a terrible idea.

using a hotel address sounds like a terrible idea.

Why? Its a paper free account, so no statements or anything will be sent out

Its just a "means to an end" is all

Penkoprod

@ Bill

Bill

Bill

Ok Bill

So how about we agree on the fact that it is an 'ATM VISA DEBIT Card'

ATM means 'automated teller machine', so the card doesnt just DEBIT from ones account, we can actually use it to do automated bank clerk things.

Such as making payments to others, topping up your phone card, paying bills and even creditting your account with cheques or cash.

hence i belive it is an ATM card but with the VISA DEBIT facilities for shopping as you mentioned, which to be honest i have never tried.

But since brought it up im curious... Does that mean you can use it in seven eleven or at Gas stations

If thats true then ill be over the moon - please let me know where you have used yours with success?

and was there any fees?

At the moment I have no idea what Dynamic currency conversion is, but that IS the phrase Siam Bank uses on their website.

Yeah, based on the numbers at the website you posted, looks like their over-the-counter cash advance involves Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC).

They get to set the conversion rate -- not the Visa/MC network -- which is why, when DCC came into being several years back, the Visa/MC networks had to change their terminology from "foreign conversion fee" to "foreign transaction fee." They still charged 1% for the action over their networks (DCC still requires handshakes between issuing and servicing banks via their networks). But the shananigans involved with foreign currency conversion -- and related profits -- now shifted to the servicing banks. And it was a screw job in every occurence -- and remains so.

Much discussion on TV a year or so ago about DCC, which can still be found. Folks were getting soaked at some merchants when they used plastic -- because of DCC -- which used exorbitant rates, like we just saw with Khunjake's SCB over the counter cash advances. This seems to have abated -- at least my two main culprits here in Chiang Mai, CarreFour and Rimping, no longer have to be reminded "Thai baht" when I check out. But I guess the scam lives on -- at the counters of some banks.

Anyway, sorry to further confuse the issue of this thread -- but the screw job of DCC makes the 150bt issue pale in comparison.

For those not familiar with DCC, and who use credit or debit cards for purchases with your foreign plastic here in Thailand, just keep looking at your receipt slips. If the total cost has a "THB" next to it, great. But if you see your home currency on the slip, you've been backsided. Have them reaccomplish the transaction in THB -- as the rules of Visa/MC allow. (Which begs the question: can you opt out of a DCC transaction at a cash advance counter transaction for the more the favorable Visa/MC conversion...? Hmmm.)

savings account with ATM card[/b].

Bill

Bill

Ok Bill

So how about we agree on the fact that it is an 'ATM VISA DEBIT Card'

ATM means 'automated teller machine', so the card doesnt just DEBIT from ones account, we can actually use it to do automated bank clerk things.

Such as making payments to others, topping up your phone card, paying bills and even creditting your account with cheques or cash.

hence i belive it is an ATM card but with the VISA DEBIT facilities for shopping as you mentioned, which to be honest i have never tried.

But since brought it up im curious... Does that mean you can use it in seven eleven or at Gas stations

If thats true then ill be over the moon - please let me know where you have used yours with success?

and was there any fees?

DJ

Sorry I cannot agree

An ATM card which can only be used in an ATM

and a Visa Debit Card which among other things can be used in an ATM

are two different animals.

The mis nomer is equivalent to calling a cash withdrawal over the counter from a debit card a "Cash Advance" which is only CORRECTLY applied to a cash withdrawal from a Credit Card.

But I never use any Credit or Debit Card for Purchases or Services - I ALWAYS use CASH

for security reasons - especially in Thailand.

Bill

If you live in the US and travel to Thailand periodically, I have found another way to help avoid making ATM withdrawals and thus ATM withdrawal fees and the associated foreign currency transaction fees. I will use as much as possible a credit card from Capital One. I have just discovered that there is no fee whatsoever to use their card for foreign purchases. Now I can't use it at the night market. And some shops will attempt to add a 3% fee (what they are basically being asked to pay to accept a credit card purchase). So in those instances I'll still need cash. But for hotel bills, Tesco Lotus shopping and other purchases I will make sure to use this card. Here is a link to an article that discusses this and other credit cards used for foreign purchases:

List Of Credit Card Foreign Currency Transaction Fees

Here is part of the article:

"Capital One credit card is one of two major issuers that charges no foreign currency transaction fee for credit card purchases made abroad. While Visa and Mastercard still levy fees on Capital One - the card issuer has made the conscientious decision to waive the fees as a cost of attracting customers. Thus it looks like your best foreign purchase bet would be to apply for a Capital One Visa Or Mastercard to avoid the expensive and cumulative currency exchange transaction fees. I personally have the Capital One No Hassle Miles Card, which I use to earn 1.25 miles on each dollar spent, good for any airline with no seating restrictions, mileage cap, or expiration date on miles earned."

By the way, I called Capital One to confirm that these fees are still not being charged and they confirmed it. I also found it stated on their website within their FAQ section. This isn't a complete solution to these ATM fees, but it can help reduce how often I may have to pay these fees.