Thai Banks To Start Charging For Atm Withdrawals ...

In case anyone is interested, if one decides to use an "over-the-counter cash advance" from your Foreign ATM card, the banks here will give you the worst possible exchange rate since it is considered an international credit card transaction. I went to SCB today and inquired about doing this transaction and you can do up to 250k THB. However, even if the money is debited from a checking or savings account, they use the Visa/MC system to do the transaction. 34.14 was the rate I was quoted on doing this transaction.

Edited by khunjake

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you have the Halifax account for large transfers & Nationwide for over the counter or for use in the 3 preferred banks ATM then you have the best of both worlds you can even escape the new Nationwide 1% fee if you apply for the cash card.

Just remember not to use your Halifax card overseas as there's a 2.75% charge & a £1.50 fee per transaction, HBOS as to rescue the mess their in some how.

Mali - thanks for the work you have done on this thread, a clear pattern is emerging for the best way to move/withdraw money out of the UK.

I have one lazy question (because it is late and I am off to bed) - What account do you need with Nationwide to get the cash card ? My recollection is that when I looked on their website they only issued VISA debit cards with the Flexaccount. I am happy to stand corrected.

Its the Flexaccount the same as but its this Government incentive to basic bank account's so they are available to all including poor credit rating people its meant as a way to build up your credit to get the debit card but in our case its best to stick with the Cash card for free use.

In an earlier post i mentioned you can not have 2 flexaccounts as the cash card is to be upgraded to the debit card as your credit rate improves, i doubt they will down grade you but you never know,the point i made was asking a family member to open the Cash card account for you, their at no risk as there's no visa or overdraft facility,this way you keep you Debit card to transfer money to the cash card account on line & for on-line & over the counter use in bank branch or shops as i'm still unsure whether you can use the cash card inside the bank as its said to be ATM only.

One is on its way to my misses now but its not in her name so i doubt she can try it in the bank as her ID will not match this is why i want a cash card holder to confirm if this works.

I think if you have the Halifax account for large transfers & Nationwide for over the counter or for use in the 3 preferred banks ATM then you have the best of both worlds you can even escape the new Nationwide 1% fee if you apply for the cash card.

Just remember not to use your Halifax card overseas as there's a 2.75% charge & a £1.50 fee per transaction, HBOS as to rescue the mess their in some how.

Mali - thanks for the work you have done on this thread, a clear pattern is emerging for the best way to move/withdraw money out of the UK.

I have one lazy question (because it is late and I am off to bed) - What account do you need with Nationwide to get the cash card ? My recollection is that when I looked on their website they only issued VISA debit cards with the Flexaccount. I am happy to stand corrected.

Its the Flexaccount the same as but its this Government incentive to basic bank account's so they are available to all including poor credit rating people its meant as a way to build up your credit to get the debit card but in our case its best to stick with the Cash card for free use.

In an earlier post i mentioned you can not have 2 flexaccounts as the cash card is to be upgraded to the debit card as your credit rate improves, i doubt they will down grade you but you never know,the point i made was asking a family member to open the Cash card account for you, their at no risk as there's no visa or overdraft facility,this way you keep you Debit card to transfer money to the cash card account on line & for on-line & over the counter use in bank branch or shops as i'm still unsure whether you can use the cash card inside the bank as its said to be ATM only.

One is on its way to my misses now but its not in her name so i doubt she can try it in the bank as her ID will not match this is why i want a cash card holder to confirm if this works.

Mali - I have 2 Flexaccounts. I used one for more and one for my better half to take out cash when I am not in Thailand. I fund her (my 2 a/c) via Internet Banking. I tried (sucessfully) to open a number 3 account online and request a cash card - unfortunately, my credit rating was obviously too high because the system offered me a VISA debit card !

I have now sent an email requesting a cash card on the number 2 account - let's see how I get on, I suspect that the 'system' will thwart me.

In case anyone is interested, if one decides to use an "over-the-counter cash advance" from your Foreign ATM card, the banks here will give you the worst possible exchange rate since it is considered an international credit card transaction. I went to SCB today and inquired about doing this transaction and you can do up to 250k THB. However, even if the money is debited from a checking or savings account, they use the Visa/MC system to do the transaction. 34.14 was the rate I was quoted on doing this transaction.

Isn't that the same system the ATM uses? My misses withdrew from a pre paid card (Mastercard) yesterday in BBK branch the rate was 51.70 (UK) which i thought was ok.

I think your referring to your home banks charges made, which are the same as whatever they charge for the ATM ie if Nationwide its still free if Halifax its 2.75% + £1.50 Fee

Wonder how long this will last with Kasikorn? Are they just snubbing their noses at the decision of the association and saying they'll do what they want? I wonder if would be illegal for them to do that or if the association has no power to force them.

Mali - I have 2 Flexaccounts. I used one for more and one for my better half to take out cash when I am not in Thailand. I fund her (my 2 a/c) via Internet Banking. I tried (sucessfully) to open a number 3 account online and request a cash card - unfortunately, my credit rating was obviously too high because the system offered me a VISA debit card !

I have now sent an email requesting a cash card on the number 2 account - let's see how I get on, I suspect that the 'system' will thwart me.

Strange they told me in the branch you can only have one account maybe that's the same branch they mean never thought of trying on line i'm sure i also read the same on their site but can't find it now anyway great news you can open 2 accounts.

Maybe you have a point on the cash card application my daughter is young just building her credit so she got the cash card but on the form it does state clearly which card you want to apply for maybe a quick call to customer services may sort that out.

Here's their direct UK number if you need it 01793 656789

"In case anyone is interested, if one decides to use an "over-the-counter cash advance" from your Foreign ATM card, the banks here will give you the worst possible exchange rate since it is considered an international credit card transaction. I went to SCB today . . . . 34.14 was the rate I was quoted on doing this transaction."

WOW! -- That's legalized extortion to the tune of US $269.81 for a 250,000 Baht transaction, based on today's comparative rate for an ATM Debit Card transaction --OR-- a HIT of US $21.65 on a 20,000 Baht transaction. :o

"In case anyone is interested, if one decides to use an "over-the-counter cash advance" from your Foreign ATM card, the banks here will give you the worst possible exchange rate since it is considered an international credit card transaction. I went to SCB today . . . . 34.14 was the rate I was quoted on doing this transaction."

WOW! -- That's legalized extortion to the tune of US $269.81 for a 250,000 Baht transaction, based on today's comparative rate for an ATM Debit Card transaction --OR-- a HIT of US $21.65 on a 20,000 Baht transaction. :o

There's lots of you yanks all ready done this can you confirm that the rate is this bad 4% :D down.

From my experience in GDP it did not happen i was down maybe 20 satang 0.2% with a pre paid card yesterday inside BBK.

"From my experience in GDP it did not happen i was down maybe 20 satang 0.2% with a pre paid card yesterday inside BBK"

The rate that he said SBC quoted him for doing the transaction over-the-counter was 34.14 ( Baht vs. one US $ )

The current Debit Card ATM rate today is 35.4499

Do the math and tell me if my calculator needs new batteries

( What is GDP? -- Gross Domestic Product? )

"From my experience in GDP it did not happen i was down maybe 20 satang 0.2% with a pre paid card yesterday inside BBK"

The rate that he said SBC quoted him for doing the transaction over-the-counter was 34.14 ( Baht vs. one US $ )

The current Debit Card ATM rate today is 35.4499

Do the math and tell me if my calculator needs new batteries

( What is GDP? -- Gross Domestic Product? )

There's lots of you yanks all ready done this can you confirm that the rate is this bad 4% :o down.

Yes & that is just under 4% down on the ATM rate. 34.14-35.4499 = 1.3099 baht down or 3.7% down my calc does not have battery's i'm green i use solar power :D read the whole post & let me worry about the maths you concentrate on ya English :D

Typo GBP = meaning i withdrew sterling but i think you new i meant that

I asked the forum this question on Saturday and got no response, that is why I decided to check for myself. Sure enough, it is an easy way to pull funds from your overseas account but guess what, you will get a shitty rate for doing so. :o

I even asked the exchange desk that I didn't want a "credit card" cash advance but to use the ATM card to debit from my checking. She said, it didn't matter that any "cash advance from foreign bank is this rate (34.14)". She recommended to do a SWIFT and of course I told her that my bank requires a signature in person in order to wire the funds.

Thailand is trying everything in its power to disuade foreigners from coming here.

Mind you, thats quite a wack, 150 baht, more than most countries.

Ernest

Yeah, it is a conspiracy. The Banks sit down with the government in smoky back rooms and work out ways to stick it to the poor defenseless farang. Diddums

Get over it. You clearly have no idea about economics.

The banks are charging it cause they are betting that people will pay it regardless, and that they won't go away. How is it in a banks interest to drive away clientele?

They are betting that Mr Sextourist Jones and Mr BarStool Davies are going to go the the bank, and like always, pull out their money, and that this fee, while in the beginning an irritant, they'll quickly get used to paying.

And you will get used to paying it. And you won't leave Thailand, will you?

The Thai Banker's Association objectives are clear from their website:

The objects of the Association are as follows

1. To accelerate economic growth of Thailand through collaboration among its member commercial banks.
  2. To promote the development of the Thai banking and financial system and profession.
  3. To foster friendship and co-operation among bankers in Thailand and to promote their common interests.
  4. To promote active collaboration of its institutions and provide assistance to one another when necessary.
  5. To serve as an important and formal link between commercial banking sector and the government, e.g., the Ministry of Finance, the Bank of Thailand, etc.
  6. To promote the study and research related to the area of banking and finance.
  7. To give close cooperation and support to the government's monetary policy, the Commercial Banking Act of 1962 and assisted in drafting several.
  8. To settle the agreement and follow the rules and regulations that were determined by the Bank of Thailand.
  9. To foster the friendship and co-operation among bankers in the ASEAN countries.
  10. To encourage and assist members in overcoming problems, and negotiating with outside persons for mutual benefit. To observe and follow both local and overseas markets for benefit in trade, finance and economy.
  11. To make agreements and or lay down regulations on matters to be followed by the members, or matters that are not to be followed by members, with the object of ensuring an orderly execution in banking practices.

Objectives number 3, 5 & 10 clearly shows that it is a cartel involved in fixing prices amongst the 16 commercial Thai banks and the government. This would not be allowed in the west because it is anti-trust and anti-competitive, which contradicts objective number 2 and maybe number 1.

Also, by putting the cost of withdrawals at such a high level (150 baht for withdrawal of any amount, rather than a percentage amount) means that they have lost my business so bang go several of those planned objectives. I have switched to a foreign bank to make my ATM withdrawals - namely Citibank in Bangkok which pays a higher interest rate because you can use a time deposit like a savings account, and charges nothing for use of a foreign card and nothing for using its own cash card for withdrawals anywhere in the world - bingo - so:

NO, I WON'T PAY IT - AND NO, I WON'T LEAVE THAILAND - goodbye Thai banks!

Other foreign banks which may do the same include HSBC, UBS but have no idea if they do or not.

Also, by putting the cost of withdrawals at such a high level (150 baht for withdrawal of any amount, rather than a percentage amount) means that they have lost my business so bang go several of those planned objectives. I have switched to a foreign bank to make my ATM withdrawals - namely Citibank in Bangkok which pays a higher interest rate because you can use a time deposit like a savings account, and charges nothing for use of a foreign card and nothing for using its own cash card for withdrawals anywhere in the world - bingo - so:

NO, I WON'T PAY IT - AND NO, I WON'T LEAVE THAILAND - goodbye Thai banks!

Other foreign banks which may do the same include HSBC, UBS but have no idea if they do or not.[/size]

Well you really showed them. One Bank in all of Thailand will allow you to withdraw your money without a fee

I proved that a US issued CitiBank card used on a Bangkok Bank ATM incurred the fee and that the ONLY place where I can use a US issued CitiBank Card is in the lobby of CitiBank in Bangkok

All right will this settle it ?

US based CitiBank "Banking Card" DEBIT and MasterCard logo

WARNING about the 150 THB charge at Bangkok Bank ATM in Tukcom, today 24 Apr 09 12:04

I would have really been pissed if it had cost me $4.25 to prove that CitiBank is one of the worst banks in the world

So please don't run down to get a CitiBank ATM card under the false sense that it will bypass the ATM fee just because CitiBank is a

ATM Pool member

What did you need to do an 'over-the-counter cash advance' and do all banks supply this service?

I asked the forum this question on Saturday and got no response, that is why I decided to check for myself. Sure enough, it is an easy way to pull funds from your overseas account but guess what, you will get a shitty rate for doing so. :o

I even asked the exchange desk that I didn't want a "credit card" cash advance but to use the ATM card to debit from my checking. She said, it didn't matter that any "cash advance from foreign bank is this rate (34.14)". She recommended to do a SWIFT and of course I told her that my bank requires a signature in person in order to wire the funds.

Well my card was used in BBK yesterday for as near as dam it the forex exchange rate, your claim doesn't make sence as i said before i think your mixing up the charge with what your home bank are taking.

What did you need to do an 'over-the-counter cash advance' and do all banks supply this service?

See this post.

Check about (local) commissions and limit beforehand. Passport, card and PIN should suffice.

thanks for the reply

i presume this works with a cirrus ATM card and not just a visa or mastercard?

i lost my credit card over the weekend and i need to take out 25,000 THB out tomorrow

the ATMs will only give me < 5,000 THB a day

i've no idea why though

:o

No mention here of the fact that banks in the west have been charging Thai ATM card holders for years.

Last year in the UK I was getting charged 2 pounds each time I used my Thai ATM card to withdraw money. I can name 5 other countries I have traveled to in the last few years that all charge similar.

As the saying goes, what goes around comes around ! The Thai banks are simply copying what the western banks have been doing to the traveling Thai for years ! :o

Would have been interesting to see the rate your 'foreign atm card' would have gotten at about the same time in the ATM machine outside the door. The difference between that and 34.14 would tell you what it's costing to use the "over-the-counter" ATM equivalent. And the difference is going entirely to SCB -- their charge to you for using over the counter.

Had you used a credit card -- for a cash advance -- your SCB cost would probably have been the same. However, your issuing bank would certainly charge more, with its cash advance fee, since there's no merchant to ante up, so fees are pretty steep to cover that float. No such float with a debit card.

May look like you're paying the equivalent of a cash advance with your debit card -- with such exorbitant fees, as expressed in the exchange rate. But next time use a credit card -- and really witness getting screwed from both ends.

Some here get it and some don't. Can't and won't explain every small detail. Look, when I use my foreign ATM card at any Thai bank ATM, I get the cash spot rate which was 35.47 today and I pay the bullshit $5 ATM fee just from my bank. (I use K-Bank so I don't get hit with the 150THB additional charge. NOW, today I went to SCB and asked to do a "cash advance" which they must do at the exchange counter. The gal told me, "yes, we can do this for up to 250k THB". When I asked her what the exchange rate would be, she looked on her com and told me 34.14. I then asked her if this was for a credit card cash advance or if this was to debit my foriegn checking account. She told me that it didn't matter, this was the rate for any "cash advance."

Would have been interesting to see the rate your 'foreign atm card' would have gotten at about the same time in the ATM machine outside the door. The difference between that and 34.14 would tell you what it's costing to use the "over-the-counter" ATM equivalent. And the difference is going entirely to SCB -- their charge to you for using over the counter.

Had you used a credit card -- for a cash advance -- your SCB cost would probably have been the same. However, your issuing bank would certainly charge more, with its cash advance fee, since there's no merchant to ante up, so fees are pretty steep to cover that float. No such float with a debit card.

May look like you're paying the equivalent of a cash advance with your debit card -- with such exorbitant fees, as expressed in the exchange rate. But next time use a credit card -- and really witness getting screwed from both ends.

It seems to be true, khunjake -- no matter how many different ways it's explained, some people don't seem to be getting the message.

I'll take one last brief stab at a summary of the information we learned today by khunjake's experience at SCB

1) If you go to SCB's ATM and use a Debit Card to withdraw 20,000 Baht from a foreign account, your account will be charged a 150 Baht fee ( US $4.25 )

2) If you go to the counter in the same bank and ask for 20,000 Baht, you'll be charged US $21.65 due to the difference in the Exchange Rate between the ATM and the counter.

3) If you go to a Kasikorn or Ayudhya or GSB ATM and use the same Debit Card, there won't be ANY additional charge.

How long Kasikorn and Ayudhya will continue to NOT charge the 150 Baht fee is unknown, but there is reason to suspect that GSB will remain free of the 150 Baht charge because they don't appear to be a member of the cabal that created this mess.

It seems to be true, khunjake -- no matter how many different ways it's explained, some people don't seem to be getting the message.

I'll take one last brief stab at a summary of the information we learned today by khunjake's experience at SCB

1) If you go to SCB's ATM and use a Debit Card to withdraw 20,000 Baht from a foreign account, your account will be charged a 150 Baht fee ( US $4.25 )

2) If you go to the counter in the same bank and ask for 20,000 Baht, you'll be charged US $21.65 due to the difference in the Exchange Rate between the ATM and the counter.

3) If you go to a Kasikorn or Ayudhya or GSB ATM and use the same Debit Card, there won't be ANY additional charge.

How long Kasikorn and Ayudhya will continue to NOT charge the 150 Baht fee is unknown, but there is reason to suspect that GSB will remain free of the 150 Baht charge because they don't appear to be a member of the cabal that created this mess.

Understood right from is first message, what i had to say is that Bangkok Bank where yesterday i did an over the counter pre paid card transaction & i got the full spot rate, so is this just an SCB scam again or was this a one off?????? As other posters on here have been blowing SCB's trumpet for their large over the counter transactions & some seem to indicate they have done this for quite some time, so did these other posters miss this 4% loss in the exchange rate i some how don't think so but it would be great if those with experience with SCB counter transaction can check their figures or can they confirm they had the same treatment & never noticed.

Your answer seems to be that you must avoid SCB all together & try other banks.

Understood right from is first message, what i had to say is that Bangkok Bank where yesterday i did an over the counter pre paid card transaction & i got the full spot rate, so is this just an SCB scam again or was this a one off?????? As other posters on here have been blowing SCB's trumpet for their large over the counter transactions & some seem to indicate they have done this for quite some time, so did these other posters miss this 4% loss in the exchange rate i some how don't think so but it would be great if those with experience with SCB counter transaction can check their figures or can they confirm they had the same treatment & never noticed.

I have an account with SCB however, I have now opened one with Kasikorn and will vote with my feet. :o

I have had no charges made by Kaliskorn. :D

BT

Since khunjake didn't go through with the over the counter transaction, we don't really know if:

1. the bank employee was mistaken

2. the bank employee was treating the transaction as a cash advance instead of as a debit withdrawal (is/can there be a difference with ATM cards?)

3. khunjake is charged a different exchange rate for the over the counter transaction verses an ATM withdrawal using the same card from the same bank.

If knunjake actually would be charged a different exchange rate, then we still don't know why this is the case with his ATM card while others are not charged a different exchange rate with their ATM cards.

Edited by donx

Mali1964 - first of all my compliments to you (and Chaimai) for your efforts here - and to others regarding US accounts.......

My experiences using the (UK) Nationwide Debit card over the counter at SCB are over a year ago - but they follow the same pattern as yours. They're described in my posts here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Nationwide-F...ft-t213494.html - mentioned way at the front of this thread but worth repeating for those who haven't ploughed through all the posts. No charges at either end - and the exchange rate matched what I would get for an ATM withdrawal (I tested that on the same day as one of my over the counter withdrawals).

I also have 2 Nationwide Flexaccount cards - one Debit (Visa) and one just Cashcard (Cirrus). It's my clear understanding that only the Debit card can be used over the counter. One of my withdrawals was actually 400,000 baht - but maybe SCB have imposed a 250,000 baht limit since then. Given the much lowered interest rates now available in the UK, I plan to get round the 150 baht ATM charges by using the Debit card to draw a lump sum from Nationwide (over the counter in SCB) and then deposit that in my SCB account to be available for (free of charge) SCB ATM withdrawals - using the SCB ATM card, of course.

In passing, I'll mention the following. As it happened, I had to make 2 ATM withdrawals of 13,000 baht (+ 150 charge) from the same SCB ATM on 24 April - one with the Nationwide Debit card and the other with the Nationwide cashcard. I just checked my account online and noticed that the rates are different between the cards:

Debit card (Visa) : THB 13,150 = GBP 254.10 (effective rate 51.75)

Cashcard (Cirrus) : THB 13,150 = GBP 255.09 (effective rate 51.55)

As and when the Nationwide 1% charge for Visa comes in, I had intended to use mainly the Cashcard for ATM withdrawals - but seeing the different rates applied to the two cards for ATM transactions within five minutes of each other, I wonder whether it's much of an issue. In any event, if the Kasikorn/Ayudhaya/GSB options (i.e. no 150 baht charge) don't work, I think I'll almost certainly opt for the Debit card withdrawal over the counter route that I described above.

One final point as a question: has any Nationwide Flexaccount user tried to get their standard GBP300 limit raised? As all we Brits know only too well, that used to get you 20,000 baht just a couple of years ago - and now only gets you 14-15,000 baht.

PS: Seeing donx's post........ I think it's entirely possible that the bank employee was mistaken. As I recommended before for the over the counter route, it's always best to choose a branch that does a fair amount of business with foreigners - and probably a large one. Mistakes do get made and the staff will swear blind that "x" is the case when it isn't (a fluent English-speaker at a small SCB branch insisted to me today that the 150 baht charge is from "your" bank not "our " bank - I'll enjoy showing her the Thai Bankers' Resolution when I go back there............).

PS: Seeing donx's post........ I think it's entirely possible that the bank employee was mistaken. As I recommended before for the over the counter route, it's always best to choose a branch that does a fair amount of business with foreigners - and probably a large one. Mistakes do get made and the staff will swear blind that "x" is the case when it isn't (a fluent English-speaker at a small SCB branch insisted to me today that the 150 baht charge is from "your" bank not "our " bank - I'll enjoy showing her the Thai Bankers' Resolution when I go back there............).

Where would you recommend then? I need to go try withdraw over the counter tomorrow and I'm now unsure if the banks in Fortune Tower would be the best place to go now.