Testing Usb Ports

loong

Hi experts,

I've just subscribed to CAT CDMA EV-DO using the MC727.

If I connect it to my old laptop it works fine, although not the speeds I was expecting. Using the ThaiVisa speed test am averaging about 500/180 Kbps.

I've also bought a new desktop and when I connect the modem to the front USB ports I sometimes get a "device not found" message. I've also connected a kingston memory stick into the front USB ports and the computer doesn't know it's there.

If I connect the CAT modem into one of the rear USB ports, it will work and I can connect to the internet, but very very slow with many dropouts.

As the modem works on the laptop, I suspect that there is a problem with the data transfer via USB on the desktop. Does this seem a reasonable assumption?

If so, can this be tested? If I take the computer back to the shop will they be able to check this?

Please bear in mind that I'm a person that uses a computer, but doesn't understand too much about what goes on inside it.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Loong

Hi experts,

I've just subscribed to CAT CDMA EV-DO using the MC727.

If I connect it to my old laptop it works fine, although not the speeds I was expecting. Using the ThaiVisa speed test am averaging about 500/180 Kbps.

I've also bought a new desktop and when I connect the modem to the front USB ports I sometimes get a "device not found" message. I've also connected a kingston memory stick into the front USB ports and the computer doesn't know it's there.

If I connect the CAT modem into one of the rear USB ports, it will work and I can connect to the internet, but very very slow with many dropouts.

As the modem works on the laptop, I suspect that there is a problem with the data transfer via USB on the desktop. Does this seem a reasonable assumption?

If so, can this be tested? If I take the computer back to the shop will they be able to check this?

Please bear in mind that I'm a person that uses a computer, but doesn't understand too much about what goes on inside it.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Loong

Front USB ports on desktop cases have often been less reliable than those at the rear (IE directly off the mainboard). Sometimes assembled units have the front ports wired incorrectly or not at all! If I have any USB problem, I always go to the rear ports. If I get the same problem, THEN i have a problem to address.

Internet access here in Thailand is spotty. There are so many threads here on TV lamenting the service.

My conclusion is that your computer is fine, that the internet service is poor, your front ports are not working, and that the only thing I would do for piece of mind is try the modem on another computer.

Let us know what you find out - its always good to hear solutions

Good Luck.

Thanks Spacefruit.

My old laptop is a Toshiba Satellite with an Intel Centrino T1300 @ 1.66Ghz 500MG memory

My new desktop has Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8 Ghz, 2 Gig Memory. The motherboard is EGS GF7050VT-M5

I have run a lot of tests using the Thaivisa Speedtest and when the CAT modem is connect to the laptop it consistently outperforms compared to when connected to a rear USB on the desktop. I've experienced no dropouts when connected to the internet on the laptop, but plenty on the desktop.

I would estimate average speedtests as

Laptop 500/180

Desktop 200/40 Many failed latency tests

I'm very pleased with the new desktop, it's very fast compared to my laptop in all respects except for the internet connection. It's rather annoying as the new computer sits idle most of the time as I have to use the laptop.

I mentioned the name of the Motherboard as maybe somebody knows if this is inferior in some way. If necessary, I will take the computer back to the shop and pay the extra to have a different motherboard fitted.

I hope that somebody can help me as I'd really like to be able to make full use of my new computer

Edited by loong

I've used the CD, but still no improvement.

CAT CDMA has been very patchy the last 2 days, so it's difficult to compare, but switching from the laptop to the desktop, the laptop seems to be better everytime.

I've bought a powered USB hub and tried that, but no improvement, worse if anything

I've also downloaded up to date drivers for the modem.

I've used the CD, but still no improvement.

CAT CDMA has been very patchy the last 2 days, so it's difficult to compare, but switching from the laptop to the desktop, the laptop seems to be better everytime.

I've bought a powered USB hub and tried that, but no improvement, worse if anything

I've also downloaded up to date drivers for the modem.

May be try installing an external roof antenna next, and see how things go . Ive been downloading

over the past few days , and its been ok .

post-37178-1239409772_thumb.jpg

I’ve just gone through similar problems with my older PC. The USB ports had worked fine until recently and then slowly degraded to the point where the modem and other devices plugged into USB ports weren’t recognized or were recognized intermittently.

I have mouse, keyboard, headset, printer, modem and handy memo stick plugged into the USB ports.

My local computer gurus suggested it was a power problem. They claimed the power required for the modem was on the upper limits of the power supplied by the USB ports. My USB modem came with a double plug USB cable. I was only using one of the plugs for the modem. I started using both and the modem worked for a while.

That worked for a week or so and then the problems continued. I tried a powered USB hub but that didn’t help. I finally replaced the computers power supply and all USB devices are working as advertised again.

I’ve just gone through similar problems with my older PC. The USB ports had worked fine until recently and then slowly degraded to the point where the modem and other devices plugged into USB ports weren’t recognized or were recognized intermittently.

I have mouse, keyboard, headset, printer, modem and handy memo stick plugged into the USB ports.

My local computer gurus suggested it was a power problem. They claimed the power required for the modem was on the upper limits of the power supplied by the USB ports. My USB modem came with a double plug USB cable. I was only using one of the plugs for the modem. I started using both and the modem worked for a while.

That worked for a week or so and then the problems continued. I tried a powered USB hub but that didn’t help. I finally replaced the computers power supply and all USB devices are working as advertised again.

That's interesting about the problem being related to the power supply , and the USB ports .

ive read some similar comments about the USB voltages ( low ) affecting the MC727 modem.

On my old MacBook Pro, the CAT CDMA USB stick would only work on one of the USB ports. The other one didn't provide enough power.

The issue is that these devices use more power than the USB spec allows (500mw). Most USB ports happily provide more power, but some don't.

That's interesting about the power supply. My desktop is brand spanking new, so the power supply should be ok.

We don't get many power cuts here, but we do get voltage drops and I wonder if that could be something to do with it.

I don't use my UPS as it beeps when the voltage drops and drives me crazy, of course the laptop with its battery effectively has its own UPS.

I will try the Desktop with the UPS in line and see if it improves things. I will also try the laptop with the battery disconnected so that it's running only on AC.

Thanks

That's interesting about the power supply. My desktop is brand spanking new, so the power supply should be ok.

We don't get many power cuts here, but we do get voltage drops and I wonder if that could be something to do with it.

I don't use my UPS as it beeps when the voltage drops and drives me crazy, of course the laptop with its battery effectively has its own UPS.

I will try the Desktop with the UPS in line and see if it improves things. I will also try the laptop with the battery disconnected so that it's running only on AC.

Thanks

With a problem like this don't assume anything being okay. The fact you have a new desktop does not rule out the fact they could have blown it on the circuit layout with respect to the USB ports. Component sizing and placement on the motherboard is critical with respect the the output ports. If not done properly the output spec for the ports will not be maintained. For USB 2.0 the spec is 500 ma at 4.75-5.25 volts.

The MC727 according to data sheet draws 500 ma while transmitting and 115 when idle. As you can see it requires the max power from port.

Another aspect of USB power is something called voltage droop. When a device is plugged in, or in your case the transmitter activated, the voltage will droop. So a motherboard must be designed to take that into account and minimize the amount and length of time it droops.

Thanks Ballbreaker,

please be patient with me but, unfortunately you may as well be speaking Swahili.:o

The motherboard is EGS GF7050VT-M5, do you know if this is a good one that will cope with droop?

If you can recommend a better motherboard for the Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8 Ghz then I would be very grateful.

Even though this is a new machine, I'm quite prepared to pay for an upgrade if the installed motherboard isn't up to the job.

I thought that the CPU is a pretty good one, am I wrong? I'd like to know your opinion. Maybe, because I don't know too much, I've bought a pile of C**p

I need a computer that can connect to the internet (uk sites HTTPS) and run excel programs and email at the same time.

On my laptop it takes about 30 seconds to open my excel program, on the new desktop about 2 seconds, if that. My new desktop is FAST in every aspect except the nearly useless connection to the internet with CAT.

Thanks very much for your inout so far.

Just to add, I don't know if important or not. On the laptop I have a USB keyboard and Mouse connected.

The keyboard and mouse on the desktop are the other type, I don't know what they are called.

So I have more USB devices connected to the old laptop than the desktop, yet still the CAT modem outperforms on the laptop

Not sure if new motherboard would take care of problem or not. Your motherboard is made by company that has been around for awhile but I know very little about their quality. I for one only use ASUS motherboards that have Intel chipset because they make a good product.

One thing you might try is taking a look at system logs to see if anything funny is showing up during times of your problems. You can view by: Start/setting/control panel/administrative tools/event viewer

You then look at application and system logs using event viewer to see if any errors showed up concerning USB, modem or apps you were using during time of problem.

Not sure if new motherboard would take care of problem or not. Your motherboard is made by company that has been around for awhile but I know very little about their quality. I for one only use ASUS motherboards that have Intel chipset because they make a good product.

One thing you might try is taking a look at system logs to see if anything funny is showing up during times of your problems. You can view by: Start/setting/control panel/administrative tools/event viewer

You then look at application and system logs using event viewer to see if any errors showed up concerning USB, modem or apps you were using during time of problem.

I've looked at the systems log and it's a bit confusing for me, also very strange.

The oldest entries are from 20 December last year, then it jumps to entries for 25th December, then nothing until a lot of entries on 15th January, then 31st Jan, then to 2nd April and then a lot of entries every day as that's when I bought the computer. How can there be entries for when the computer didn't exist?

Does this mean that the motherboard or something has been in another computer before?

I didn't see anything that would suggest a problem with the USB ports, but I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Going back to my original problem, I've tried different things with the power and it's made no difference.

I've now set up a home network, connected the 2 computers with a LAN cable with the laptop as the internet gateway. (Hey I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about!) At least with this set up I can access the internet on the desktop with reasonable speeds. It's not ideal, but I'm not going to take the desktop back to the shop while Songkran is in swing, wouldn't want to get it wet.

I don't use my UPS as it beeps when the voltage drops and drives me crazy...

There is an easy solution for that - on my USPs I took out the speaker. When I bought another one, I had the shop remove it, actually. It was one of those shops where they repair computer gear as well as sell it, so they were quite happy to do it for no fee. And then.... silent UPS!

:o

My CDMA modem works perfectly on my 3years old laptop that is half broken, overheating 24/7 and has had major cola and water spillage.

Yet it lags my new dell laptop with 3gb memory and dual 2.4ghz core on all 4 usb ports.

theres really something wrong with their modems

My CDMA modem works perfectly on my 3years old laptop that is half broken, overheating 24/7 and has had major cola and water spillage.

Yet it lags my new dell laptop with 3gb memory and dual 2.4ghz core on all 4 usb ports.

theres really something wrong with their modems

Sorry, NASP, I'm not entirely sure what you are saying. Just want to be clear.

You're having the same problem as me?

Modem works well on the old laptop but not on the all singing and dancing new desktop?

If so, I'm sorry because I know how frustrating it is, but at the same time it's almost nice to know that somebody else is having the same problems.

I'm able to use the modem on the new desktop by using the laptop as a gateway, hardly ideal, so I'm starting to think that the only way forward is to buy a cradlepoint router and connect the modem directly to that.

I've been having more problems recently with signal drop, but I think that is more to do with CAT, maybe the tower nearest to me has a problem and sometimes have to connect to a tower further away.

When the engineers are back from holiday I will sort out an external antenna and see if i can get a router, then see how it goes.

I've given up on trying to get the modem to work on my desktop. Everything I've tried has had no effect.

Using the laptop as a gateway was useful, but in this heat the laptop tends to overheat if I use it for too long, Unless I have a fan trained on it.

CAT are currently installing an external antenna and have supplied a NEXAIRA 3G wireless Broadband Router, which I'm trying out. I haven't paid for it yet, but is quite an expensive solution (I think about 9,000 Bt).

Connecting the USB modem to the router, I can now use the laptop on wireless and LAN connection to the desktop. Everything works well most of the time and when the antenna is sorted, I may even get better than the 500Kbps d/l that I'm getting now.

I say that it works well most of the time, but that is not due to my set up here, CAT are having problems lately.

Thanks everyone for all your advice and suggestions.

I've given up on trying to get the modem to work on my desktop. Everything I've tried has had no effect.

Using the laptop as a gateway was useful, but in this heat the laptop tends to overheat if I use it for too long, Unless I have a fan trained on it.

CAT are currently installing an external antenna and have supplied a NEXAIRA 3G wireless Broadband Router, which I'm trying out. I haven't paid for it yet, but is quite an expensive solution (I think about 9,000 Bt).

Connecting the USB modem to the router, I can now use the laptop on wireless and LAN connection to the desktop. Everything works well most of the time and when the antenna is sorted, I may even get better than the 500Kbps d/l that I'm getting now.

I say that it works well most of the time, but that is not due to my set up here, CAT are having problems lately.

Thanks everyone for all your advice and suggestions.

Please keep us updated, on how things progress :o