If Thai Society Westernizes Does This Mean Less Tourism?

drronnie

Thais distancing themselves from their heritage? can you give us an example

Can you detail your opinion of Westernized?

I understand your question but is it opinions or facts you are after?

Being more selfish and the customer service is not anymore like it used to be. When shopping we now get the same treatment like any store in Europe for example.

Being more selfish and the customer service is not anymore like it used to be. When shopping we now get the same treatment like any store in Europe for example.

Have you been shopping in Central?

5 staff members to follow you round, show you 3 for 2 offers, stand in your pocket while browsing aahhhh

Then take 20 minutes to run to the till to get your change from the 10 girls chatting behind the counter doing sweet fa but chatting to each other ...

Its not like that in Debenhams!

We are seeing lots of changes in Thai society. The more the Thais distance themselves from their Thai heritage and become like Westerners the less foreigners are keen to come to Thailand. Any thoughts?

How many foreigners are coming for the Thai "culture" ?

We are seeing lots of changes in Thai society. The more the Thais distance themselves from their Thai heritage and become like Westerners the less foreigners are keen to come to Thailand. Any thoughts?

Though you could say ladies of immoral virtue and having a good time are parts of Thai culture.

Rome, the one city above all that can claim to be at the heart of Western Civilization receives more tourists per year than the whole of Thailand (as I believe does London and Paris).

Rome is not Paris, is not London ... what does westernized have to do with it.

The trick is to have something worth offering.... More shopping malls are not it!

5 staff members to follow you round, show you 3 for 2 offers, stand in your pocket while browsing aahhhh

Worse in Asok Robinson's linens dept. I had a vague idea I'd like to have a look at a new bed set, before I even got to the area, let alone the bed sets I was intercepted and surrounded with a chorus of yapping assistants - "What size you want Meeeester?" I didn't even know what I wanted, let alone what size and just can't concentrate when being pestered like this. I did an about turn and went and bought something from Carrefour where they don't give a monkey's.

"more westernised" to me sounds like "more expensive" so would probably mean a 'more well healed'tourist.

When you come from Japan, you can tell Thailand is rather following the lead from there in "westernizing" than really doing it on their own.

Hairstyles, fashion (adapted to climate) is an obvious example. Japan remains for Asia what UK was for the rest of the world in the days The Beatles. Thais have a different leadlight to follow.

10,000 Thais get a visa for Japan every week. I doubt that many go to America in a month.

Asian values still remain, the thiny veener of "westernization" is just that.

Yep, you took the words right out of my mouth. The answer to your question is that all tourism destinations evolve over time. This means they change and in so changing they become less attractive to one group of tourists and become more attractive to another. The change usually involves easier access, more infrastructure, increasing tourist numbers, etc. Eventually they often become popular with retirees (until rediscovered as the next big thing for another group). Think of examples like florida.

This usually also involves some social changes in the host culture. If tourism is well managed it can be for the better, if badly managed or not managed at all then often for the worse. As always, corruption never helps in terms of getting a better deal from tourism/tourism development for the average joe.

Thailand is changing and will change. Tourism here will also change and this may see the growth in numbers stall or hiccup but not die.

What changes? Smaller families, industrialization, the dumbing down of Buddhist spirituality, motorcycles, materialism, less allegiance to the community, small improvements in education...those things are changing Thai culture, regardless of tourism or expatriates. Tourists only care about Thai politics when the airport closes or they get stopped for a 200 baht fine for not wearing a cheap helmet. Whore houses are nothing new here. Corrupt politicians, likewise.

Customer service...huh? The boyfriend took his Toyota in for annual service today. He got as good service as I ever got at a Toyota dealership in the West. At a fourth the price.

I think the opposite will happen...increase of tourist presence (provided the political situation is stable).... did spain(for europe ) mexico (for US) become any less interesting to tourists because of westernization? I don't think so. It merely went ---the more they adjusted(westernized) the more tourists they got....except of the alternative or adventure type tourists...although i consider myself for the later , the fact is when on holiday people tend to wish for relaxation and things that come easy, and learning another new way of life or another culture maybe more seen as demanding and therefor not suitable for vacation/holidays.

mbox

What changes? Smaller families, industrialization, the dumbing down of Buddhist spirituality, motorcycles, materialism, less allegiance to the community, small improvements in education...those things are changing Thai culture, regardless of tourism or expatriates. Tourists only care about Thai politics when the airport closes or they get stopped for a 200 baht fine for not wearing a cheap helmet. Whore houses are nothing new here. Corrupt politicians, likewise.

Customer service...huh? The boyfriend took his Toyota in for annual service today. He got as good service as I ever got at a Toyota dealership in the West. At a fourth the price.

Good answer - its what I was trying to think of but couldn't

OP = this questions sounds more like a sociology question from university exam than someones random thoughts.

Can we have your take on your question?

When shopping we now get the same treatment like any store in Europe for example.

I'm about to go shopping for some clothes i hope to fcuken god i get western treatment and they dont speak to me.

Know what you mean. Nothing I hate worse than someone following me around like a shadow when I want no help.