Scb Debit Card: Worthless?

This post has gotten out of control, but a few general comments..

"electronic use only" means that the card cannot be zip zapped - i.e. doesn't have the raised numbers. The transactions are intended to be processed with online access to a host system at all times and preferentially with the magnetic stripe being validated via a machine interface. This includes shops and ATMs. Some banks, at their own discretion, allow internet transactions. SCB doesn't allow it. Bangkok Bank does, and therefore Be1st cards with a 3-digit number on the back can be used for internet shopping (not all of them have it).

Anyone shopping online with a debit card is strongly advised to use 3D secure (Verified by Visa) wherever possible to reduce the possibility of intercept/fraud and nasty merchants who try to steal card numbers.

Regarding paying IRS - it is possible that they block certain cards in a bid to reduce the banking fees that are pay for card transactions - international transactions are much more expensive than domestic cards - IRS is trying to collect a fixed amount of revenue. This is the reason a lot of Post Offices won't let you pay for stamps with a credit card - they can't account for the "lost income" which is the card charges!!! Just a guess on this one.

Anyone shopping online with a debit card is strongly advised to use 3D secure (Verified by Visa) wherever possible to reduce the possibility of intercept/fraud and nasty merchants who try to steal card numbers.

How do I register my Thai bank VISA Debit Cards with 3D secure (Verified by VISA)?

Seems pretty simple to me,,

"electronic use only" means just that - ie: ATM's , retailers, etc where the card can be swided/read by the machine..

For my thinking that doesw NOT include online use as the retailer CANNOT swipe/read your card..

• 10 months later...

Two points:

1. A friend who works for a US company over here tried to buy a Computer from the US using his Thai CC/DC. It was refused by HP, with the explaination that they were not allowed to accept overseas cards any more - something to a Homeland Security regulation. Maybe only US laptops are used for "Bad People Planning Events" . So his boss bought it on his card, and they shipped it to Thailand.

2. This one is more relevent. I have a SCB account to pay my rent, as no interbank standing orders allowed by my "Normal" bank. The card issued has a flat surface - no raised numbers - and is only usable at nominated retailers and all ATMs. I have not yet explored all their services.

I also have a Kasikorn Bank account. While they also issue the flat card, they also have a "Web Card" which is used for buying on the internet. It does not physically exist, just shows the number, CCV and expiry date in my internet account. I use this to pay subcriptions to a US based company and buy LEGITIMATE software :o .

The other benefit to the Web Card, is that Kbank emails you when the payment is requested and gives you 3 days to refuse payment in case it was a fraudulent purchase using your card number.

(Benefit to me, is when I use my UK CC, as the billing address is the UK, I get charged 15% VAT, whereas using the TH card, I do not)

Thank you Graham, I have a KBank card and have been asking around and you have just given me the information I need. Thank you sir !!!biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

As far as I know, there are two types of debit card issued by Thai banks. There is one that you get right after you open an account with a bank and another type that you won't get right after opening an account but you have to wait for the card registration process which takes place at HQ of each bank.

For example, Be1st debit card from Bangkok Bank, the one that you get right after opening an account cannot be used online such as eBay registration. If you want to use the card online you have to tell the bank officer that you would like to use it online also. Then you will have to wait about a week and they will send a card to your registration address.

Hope you got my point.

My SCB "Hip Card", like so many other "cards", has various degrees of acceptability, depending on the bank, country and vendor.

In Australia it worked fine in one bank ATM but not in another. A "debit card" issued through the Visa Debit Card system, it is not.

Individual vendors, banks and especially online vendors each have a different approach to sales depending on profit margins and their ability to "swallow" Visa, Mastercard and other transaction card's regulations and fees.

PayPal thrives because of this. Even it has its own path which doesn't work in all instances.

This may seem to be a simplistic approach, but opening a PayPal account with your SCB account as the bank reference (primary account to be charged for any PayPal purchase) backed by a credit card to be charged only when primary account has insufficient funds, seems to me to be a way you can go for online purchases anywhere in the world. Many US online vendors won't ship to Thailand, even by US mail, won't accept orders with a mailing address in Thailand, while more progressive companies do happily.

One online vendor I bought from refused to take a Mastercard for payment, the very same card backing up my PayPal purchase which they did take happily.

Nike company and their vendors won't ship a Nike shirt to Thailand under any circumstances. I am presently wearing a Nike shirt, made in Thailand but unavailable here, not shippable to Thailand. Had to buy it in Australia.

Mai Pen Rai.