Traffic Chaos In Bangkok As Protesters Close Main Roads

george

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Reds will be headless soon. Video footage, license plates, names, places of residences etc. Without their leaders, they will go home eventually. Except for Thaksin, of course, who won't come home.

All the UDD leaders are well-known people and the government knows very well who they are without the need of video footage and license plates. That phrase was just used to scare the ordinary Thais protesting for democracy.

Abhisit just started speaking on Television

TAN translation to English right now, too

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/

I know he is finished now but for future reference how do you get to see the programme? - I click on play on the TV on the right but nada

hmmmm...not sure, maybe it's your browser settings or software for playing? It works for me, I just tried it again.

They have some good English stuff sometime, but they also have a lot of boring, repetitive commercials. I use them for Translations, such as the PM's speech tonight and a few of their regular English Programs. Sometimes, they have news on the hour, sometimes, it's just commercial.

Hit and miss, but the only decent place I found with English News and Programs about Thailand and Asia.

We should have seen that one coming. Abhisit and his yellow shirts are after all famous for closing things. :o

...you mean like Ratchaweti Road around Victory Monument and Ratchadamnoen Avenue around Democracy Monument?

What a genius of a PM. The markets are already closed 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th for the weekend and then Songkran. So may as well declare the 10th a holiday too and close Thailand for international business for 6 straight days in the middle of an economic crisis.

Actually, its not a bad idea for the Stock markets, if they are closed they cannot go "Red" and loose 3-4% on the index. At least with the markets closed for 6 days there is time to get some kind of resolution to this problem before the Markets have time to react.

My concern is that with tomorrow declared a holiday, has the PM just opened the gates for more red supporters to hit the streets?

Worst Case: The protesters double in number (or triple)

Best Case: People decide to get out of town and start their Songkran holiday one day early...

/edit: spelling mistakes :o

Edited by Wolfie

....My concern is that with tomorrow declared a holiday, has the PM just opened the gates for more red supporters to hit the streets?

Bast Case: People decide to get out of town and start their Songkran holiday one day early...

I really doubt that the songkran will make them go home early. I think that the extra holiday will see more people join the protests...

Time will tell, but I think this is going to get really ugly...

Q: How is the government elected in Thailand?

A: The group that causes most problems for the general public and screws up Thailands reputation wins. Pad showed how effective it is and now its the red shirts turn.

Q: How will this end?

A: Bloody or not at all because people realized this can be a way to change the government and they will try it until the military or police really steps in and ends the protests.

What a genius of a PM. The markets are already closed 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th for the weekend and then Songkran. So may as well declare the 10th a holiday too and close Thailand for international business for 6 straight days in the middle of an economic crisis.

Actually, its not a bad idea for the Stock markets, if they are closed they cannot go "Red" and loose 3-4% on the index. At least with the markets closed for 6 days there is time to get some kind of resolution to this problem before the Markets have time to react.

My concern is that with tomorrow declared a holiday, has the PM just opened the gates for more red supporters to hit the streets?

Bast Case: People decide to get out of town and start their Songkran holiday one day early...

After about 70% of the protesters gone home already, I think he is counting on people staying home with families and enjoying their holidays.

The other thing is, this is the time for making amends, (Sonkran) and forgiveness, not for fighting. I think the Prime Minister is counting on people to think along those lines, too.

Anyways, a formidable opponent for the Reds and I think he has earned the right so far, to remain Prime Minister, until the next elections.

A lot different from Samak and Somchai and their violent approach towards protesters. Violent scenes put Thailand on the map internationally, but in a very negative light. PM Abhisit is handling this situation very good.

For those of you Thaksin lovers, who are dreaming of the current Prime Ministers resignation - Keep Dreaming, because it ain't gonna' happen in reality.

Yes, the PAD protests put Thailand in a negative light, with the demonstrations at the airport, etc. Yes the PAD set the example on how to bring down a corrupt government. (Which I still think is a good example, because people need to know, that they can bring about change with peaceful protests)

No, I don't think that Thaksin and his reds will succeed, because they aligned themselves with a fugitive criminal, who doesn't even have to guts to come back and lead them in the so-called "Revolution".

Yes, maybe one day, when the motives are right, the Protest leaders are good and the people are fed up enough with whatever the current system at the time will be, the masses will rally behind protests and bring about positive change, peacefully.

This so-called Red movement (which gives a bad name to true REDS), cannot suceed, because it's leadership is corrupt and their motivation is greed. Thai People know it and were therefore lukewarm about the whole idea to start with.

Now, 70% of them, have gone home and tomorrow is a holiday. Hopefully, the other 30% will smarten up, make amends and let peace come back to our New Year

Happy New Year

I have started a thread just for traffic updates/news updates. Please keep the political out of it. Any political posts in that thread will be deleted. However, please feel free to post observations on traffic and/or demonstration news.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Traffic-Demo...es-t256001.html

Finally... :o  

Rest of the moderating team must still be out protesting...

PM Abhisit said that 70% of the protesters have gone home already, which seems to match up with the current pictures of what is happening in Bangkok.

He also said that all Asian Leaders confirmed that they will still come this weekend.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/ also has traffic updates, as long as you don't mind long periods of mindless advertising inbetween. They did a good job on the translation of PM Abhisit's speach :-)

That translation was outstanding good. Good job!

I don't agree 100 % but still think he handled it good and the demonstrations are past now (or they do something complete crazy tonight)

Yes, I think this is it. Hopefully, the reds will do the smart thing right now...Tthis is the season for making amends. They can get out of this lost situation, by making amends right now. People would even respect them for it, while on the other hand, if they get violent, it will only hurt any future political chances they might have.

Well...how to explain.....

What is smart now?

a) Declare victory. Victory is always good so lets declare it.

:o Complain about the violence caused by Abhisit (Abhist blocked and killed 900.000 people so only the remaining 100.000 could come)

c) make clear that in May there will be the final final victory and 2.000.000 people would come and demand that this time even big Buddha must resign.

d) explain that all for Thaksin in a way that he is ready to finance it.

Anyone know if Banks are closed?

YES. Bank will be closed tomorrow.

Banks will not be closed tomorrow Friday.

OK, may be I am wrong. So should I go to work tomorrow or not?

If you are not sure:

a) you call your boss on the mobile phone at 5 AM and ask if you shall come and this is the latest time you could call because traveling to the office needs that long.

:o call at 10 AM in the office and ask if the others are there and if yes tell you had an car accident and you'll come soon.

Dumbass gov why they wanted to negotiate with a criminal in exile ? Why the hel_l they tolerate him puking his poison on large TV screens ?

They really never learn ?

Down down deeper and down and the end is not in sight...

After 25 years here I have learned, other than realising that most of the local citizens seem to have come from a different universe, that the only way to remain sane is to look at all the things here that make the average farang crazy as entertainment, pure and simple, or else you will truly go insane!

The final solution will be a coalition of the "right wing" of the reds with the "left wing" of the yellows to form a moderate, perhaps orange? group.

After 25 years here I have learned, other than realising that most of the local citizens seem to have come from a different universe, that the only way to remain sane is to look at all the things here that make the average farang crazy as entertainment, pure and simple, or else you will truly go insane!

<SNIP>

or you can treat it as a photo opportunity...

and something to talk about with your parents (who

have no comprehension of how daft it all looks...)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11401580@N03/

Dumbass gov why they wanted to negotiate with a criminal in exile ? Why the hel_l they tolerate him puking his poison on large TV screens ?

The final solution will be a coalition of the "right wing" of the reds with the "left wing" of the yellows to form a moderate, perhaps orange? group.

No different: Because they look at it as entertainment, it happens. If they would be serious about it, it wouldn't happen.

Most local citizen are not the victims of the situation, they are the cause of it. To make it more bizarre, the single citizen is innocent, but the collective of it is guilty of not voting away the bad guys (it is going for the last 60 years like that).

If you work for a normal company then yes, you will most likely need to go to work tomorrow.

I don't know about, but if my Prime Minister would say that tomorrow is a National Holiday, I wouldn't even bother to ask my company. I'd be on holidays, until the end of Songkran :-)

<SNIP>

or you can treat it as a photo opportunity...

and something to talk about with your parents (who

have no comprehension of how daft it all looks...)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11401580@N03/

whos pictures are these?

No different: Because they look at it as entertainment, it happens. If they would be serious about it, it wouldn't happen.

Most local citizen are not the victims of the situation, they are the cause of it. To make it more bizarre, the single citizen is innocent, but the collective of it is guilty of not voting away the bad guys (it is going for the last 60 years like that).

Exactly, you hit the nail right on the head, H90....and that statement can apply to most democracies around the World today, as well, not just Thailand.

If you work for a normal company then yes, you will most likely need to go to work tomorrow.

I don't know about, but if my Prime Minister would say that tomorrow is a National Holiday, I wouldn't even bother to ask my company. I'd be on holidays, until the end of Songkran :-)

Tell your boss you are a Christian high court judge,

and therefore cannot work on

1. the sabbath,

2. the day Jesus entered the world (Dec 25th) and

3. the day Jesus left the world (which this year happens to be tomorrow)

...errrr, does this mean the European stock markets are closed too?