Re-installing Os To Clear Problems

Richb2004v2

I have Ubuntueee on my eeePC. Although I have solved most of the problems I still have one significant one remaining. I am unable to mount my external memory. Since my net book only has 20Gig this is quite important. I've searched for answers but not found any that help me. Added to this is the problem that whilst following clear step by step instructions to upgrade from Open Office 2.4 to 3.0 I have entirely lost my Open Office package. Again I have searched and followed other instructions that led to me temporarily loosing my Synaptic Manager. I have downloaded 3.0 from the website but can't get it going. I go away to work in two days and I need an Office package whilst there. Although it would be a headache to re-install as it would mean installing my upgrades and various softwares apps again I am beginning to think its the only answer. Do you think there is a chance it will fix my problems mounting USB memory? It will of course put Open Office 2.4 back. If it fixes the other problem then I will then be 100% running Linux, at last.

I have Ubuntueee on my eeePC. Although I have solved most of the problems I still have one significant one remaining. I am unable to mount my external memory. Since my net book only has 20Gig this is quite important. I've searched for answers but not found any that help me. Added to this is the problem that whilst following clear step by step instructions to upgrade from Open Office 2.4 to 3.0 I have entirely lost my Open Office package. Again I have searched and followed other instructions that led to me temporarily loosing my Synaptic Manager. I have downloaded 3.0 from the website but can't get it going. I go away to work in two days and I need an Office package whilst there. Although it would be a headache to re-install as it would mean installing my upgrades and various softwares apps again I am beginning to think its the only answer. Do you think there is a chance it will fix my problems mounting USB memory? It will of course put Open Office 2.4 back. If it fixes the other problem then I will then be 100% running Linux, at last.

Did the unable to mount external memory happen since the initial install or did this come later? If it was since the initial install i would consider a new install, maybe something went wrong there. Open Office is nice but a bit slow(specially if the cpu isn't so strong), abiword and gnumeric should do the job too....both faster and doing most basic things. Ubuntu eee is a stripped down version to fit eepc which should be based on gnome, and abiword as gnumeric are part of gnome desktop environment.

Hope that helps,

mbox

Edited by mbox

If you have only one repo selected and you click up grade and apply it will update Open Office for you.  Your tring to hard.  Let the system do the work.  You don't have to install anything or reboot.   The repos for a distro should have the tested software versions for your distro.  Make sure the synaptic is pointed at a repo for your distro. and only one selected  If there distro repo is not being maintained that could be a problem, but most opten more then one repo get selected and also use the reload button after selecting a repo and before using synaptic.  Really, its that easy. 

If its a usb drive you should see an icon on the desk top right click and mount.  If not.  you should have a system media folder where the drive shows up right click and mount.  Even a ide drive in a caddy with usb connection works the same as any flash drive would.

If those two things arn't as easy as that then install PClinuxOS, because thats all I have ever had to do for ether.

If you have only one repo selected and you click up grade and apply it will update Open Office for you.  Your tring to hard.  Let the system do the work.  You don't have to install anything or reboot.   The repos for a distro should have the tested software versions for your distro.  Make sure the synaptic is pointed at a repo for your distro. and only one selected  If there distro repo is not being maintained that could be a problem, but most opten more then one repo get selected and also use the reload button after selecting a repo and before using synaptic.  Really, its that easy. 

If its a usb drive you should see an icon on the desk top right click and mount.  If not.  you should have a system media folder where the drive shows up right click and mount.  Even a ide drive in a caddy with usb connection works the same as any flash drive would.

If those two things arn't as easy as that then install PClinuxOS, because thats all I have ever had to do for ether.

The 'can not mount' problem occurred straight after installation.

I'm guessing a repo is a repository right? Is that like a directory?

There is an issue with upgrading to Open Office 3 which is why there's a lot of info on how to do it on the net. It was one of these instructions that I was following.

When I plug the USB drive in it appears as the correct icon, but when I try to mount it I am told it can not.

I don't really want to start with another distro as I am almost there with this one. I think I might bight the bullet and re-install. If that does not work or presents new problems I will maybe try SUSE 11.1 or go back to Xandros.

I guess these are the reasons that so many people are scarred away from Linux.

I assume you are right clicking on the icon and requesting it to mount?

You can try doing it manually from a terminal window. mount -t auto /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb (or any available directory or create one under the /mnt directory such as mkdir /mnt/usbflash and use that as the mount point). If -t auto doesn't work then -t ntfs or -t vfat. Also, the external drive may be /dev/sdb1, depends on the system.

I assume you are right clicking on the icon and requesting it to mount?

You can try doing it manually from a terminal window. mount -t auto /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb (or any available directory or create one under the /mnt directory such as mkdir /mnt/usbflash and use that as the mount point). If -t auto doesn't work then -t ntfs or -t vfat. Also, the external drive may be /dev/sdb1, depends on the system.

Hmm , this is great info but am surprised that ubuntueee is doing this. I had xubuntu on my eeepc for a few days but it worked ok ....i took it out because the lack of speed.

Richb2004v2,

A repository is defined here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_repository

Rakasa is right , PCLinuxOs is very good, but i never tested it on eeepc.My believe is that it may demand more cpu than the eepc actually delivers and would therefor be slow. My best suggestion is....use the Xandros - original eeepc OS- you will get the best speed and it is easy to use.

hope that helps,

mbox

Hmm , this is great info but am surprised that ubuntueee is doing this. I had xubuntu on my eeepc for a few days but it worked ok ....i took it out because the lack of speed.

This was more for troubleshooting to see if it is even recognized, then work on the auto mounting part. I don't use Ubuntu but I assume that it normally auto detects and mounts external drives as does my Suse and Slackware versions.

I started doing some checking.  I guess every distro or most have a eeepc version.  PClinuxOS does not,  yet.  I found one post with a 900A that had installed PClinuxOS 2009.1, but was two pages of hacks to make it work right.  Not! what I would be doing.  (Way to lazy for that)   :o    They all did report that eeeubuntu was working great.

OK. I decided to re-install. Did it. Afterward it was exactly the same. The USB memory will still not mount. I was just considering my next move when I found greater detail on the problem starring me in the face.

'mount: must be superuser to use mount'

Right. That's got to help solve the problem. I am now looking in 'authorizations' to try to figure out how to do it.

I am getting desperate now, as I only have tomorrow to get one OS working completely before I go to work.

OK. I decided to re-install. Did it. Afterward it was exactly the same. The USB memory will still not mount. I was just considering my next move when I found greater detail on the problem starring me in the face.

Right. That's got to help solve the problem. I am now looking in 'authorizations' to try to figure out how to do it.

I am getting desperate now, as I only have tomorrow to get one OS working completely before I go to work.

Hi again,

I am using kubuntu on my axioo classmate and when i plug my usb drive in, a popup window with "devices recently plugged in" opens than i click on my drives name and open.... my suggestion is try another distro such as kubuntu perhaps or back to xandros for eeepc.

mbox

Ubuntu requires to use "sudo" to perform root functions. So it would be "sudo mount ....." (without the quotes).

I gave up searching for answers, but thanks for the advice. I am installing SUSE right now. I do wonder if SUSE might be too loaded for my little eeePC though. So I am also downloading Ubuntu 8.10 and PClinuxOS as alternatives should SUSE prove to be a headache.

I keep asking myself why I don't just install XP. :o

I do wonder if SUSE might be too loaded for my little eeePC though.

My MSI Wind had no problems running Suse but the disk/memory specs of the Wind may be a little higher then the eee. Actually, 1GB is plenty to run with.

I do wonder if SUSE might be too loaded for my little eeePC though.

My MSI Wind had no problems running Suse but the disk/memory specs of the Wind may be a little higher then the eee. Actually, 1GB is plenty to run with.

I just gave up with SUSE. It just seemed to hang after quite a while of installation. It seemed to be going ok but then just stopped doing anything for a long time.

Ubuntu 8.10 next :o

I just gave up with SUSE.

Seems the saying, "If you didn't have bad luck you would have no luck at all", is appropriate at this point. :D

Too bad you're not in Chiang Mai, I like a challenge. :D

Yes, it does seem that Linux is against me right now :o . I am in the middle of installing Ubuntu 8.10 now. All seems to be going well. I just wonder if it is going to be the wrong distro to my eeePC though. If it wasn't than I doubt if eeeUbubtu and Ubuntueee would have been made. If Xandros had the synaptic manager then that would do for me. The only thing Xandros was lacking was the DVD copier. However I didn't know that the synaptic manager existed until Ubuntu. It may have been there in Xandros all along. I just don't remember.

This business is causing me some late nights I know that.

I just gave up with SUSE.

Seems the saying, "If you didn't have bad luck you would have no luck at all", is appropriate at this point. :D

Too bad you're not in Chiang Mai, I like a challenge. :D

Yes, it does seem that Linux is against me right now :o . I am in the middle of installing Ubuntu 8.10 now. All seems to be going well. I just wonder if it is going to be the wrong distro to my eeePC though. If it wasn't than I doubt if eeeUbubtu and Ubuntueee would have been made. If Xandros had the synaptic manager then that would do for me. The only thing Xandros was lacking was the DVD copier. However I didn't know that the synaptic manager existed until Ubuntu. It may have been there in Xandros all along. I just don't remember.

This business is causing me some late nights I know that.

It may have synaptic, but keep in mind that there are other package managers that do the same thing but look a little differant.  If all else, I think the command line method of apt-get which is what the gui's like synaptic use will be able to get anything you need.  The distro forum should have a guru that knows which manager is used or a set of apt-get lines you could copy paste if nothing else.

Well I've settled on Ubuntu 9.04. So far everything is working. The USB memory mounts fine and K3b has installed. Open Office 3 is installed too and I put Java in which is important for me. I haven't had chance to see how much life I will get from the battery but I have a feeling it might be low. I actually tried to re-install Xandros after all my trouble but worryingly I couldn't. Ububtu certainly looks nice anyway. I have a PClinuxOS disk with me as another line of attack should I need it.

Thanks.

Well I've settled on Ubuntu 9.04. So far everything is working. The USB memory mounts fine and K3b has installed. Open Office 3 is installed too and I put Java in which is important for me. I haven't had chance to see how much life I will get from the battery but I have a feeling it might be low. I actually tried to re-install Xandros after all my trouble but worryingly I couldn't. Ububtu certainly looks nice anyway. I have a PClinuxOS disk with me as another line of attack should I need it.

Thanks.

Glad to know that you got it to work.....strange about the xandros ...

If you ever have the need to install, i prefer kubuntu over ubuntu. The simple difference is the desktop environment which i prefer KDE , gnome isn't particular my favorite. Pclinuxos is great for desktop .....but doubt it will be right for eeepc. btw what eeepc do you have?701? or else?

mbox

Thanks.

Glad to know that you got it to work.....strange about the xandros ...

If you ever have the need to install, i prefer kubuntu over ubuntu. The simple difference is the desktop environment which i prefer KDE , gnome isn't particular my favorite. Pclinuxos is great for desktop .....but doubt it will be right for eeepc. btw what eeepc do you have?701? or else?

mbox

I have the eeePC 901. Its a great machine and once I settle on an OS that's right it will be perfect. I'm guessing that that the custom made 'Easy Peasy' should be the best. When I return home in five weeks I will begin to experiment again. I did look at Kubunu but couldn't think of any advantages over ubuntu so gave it a miss.

At the end of the day Xandros would be fine if I had known more about it. I only got sick of it because it seemed so hard to install anything, like K3b. If only some one had mentioned the 'add/remove' function instead of describing various terminal commands I would still be with it. Anyway, I've learnt a lot during this trial and error period.