Uk Transit Visa

Would appreciate any guidance concerning transiting via London when traveling on to a third country.

Background

My TGF and baby son will join me where I work abroad. I have a residence visa and work permit. They have visas for the county where I am working.

The direct Bangkok flight will arrive into London Heathrow and the onward flight departs from London Gatwick. This means my TGF and baby son will have to come land side to get from one airport to the other. The time in UK will be about 24 hours.

Question

Do they need a UK transit visa or as it seems from the UK Border Agency / Immigration websites can they be allowed to transit without the need for a visa.

Post Script

Just seen that Emirates do flights to Gatwick so that may be a solution.

Edited by eddie eagle

Thais require a transit visa for the Uk. My Thai Mrs needed one and she was not even leaving LHR.

Mate if I was you I would try to avoid going from one airport to another if you can, and go the direct route as you suggested at the end of your post.

Hi Eddie,

Try the following link:- http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/visadatvnationals, I hope this clears things up for you.

Thanks mickmac I had seen the website before posting but sorry to say had difficulty understanding it. Let's see what other boardies make of it, here goes:

1. Thai's are "visa nationals" who require a visa for every entry to the UK, though some may be able to Transit Without Visa”(TWOV).

2. Thai's are not "direct air side transit visa nationals" who require a visa to transit through the UK, known as Direct Air side Transit (DATV).

Transit INF20 then goes on to say "visa nationals" need a visa to transit the UK but may be able to 'transit without visa' (TWOV) if the "visa national" will:

- arrive and leave by air within 24 hours and have no intention of staying in the UK (you can travel by rail or road between two airports); and

- have a confirmed onward booking that will leave within 24 hours of your arrival in the UK.

- have the documents needed to enter the country you are traveling to; and for any other country that you may pass through on your journey.

Does this mean my TGF and our son don't need a visa to transit the UK. [trying to route through London Gatwick so they stay air side]. It is hard to believe it would be so easy also that the airline would let them on the plane without something in writing. Tried calling the Immigration Service for an answer but the bloke I spoke to said they would need a transit visa which seems to go against the website information.

Edited by eddie eagle

Visa nationals

If you will be staying in the UK for up to 48 hours before you continue your journey, you will need a 'visitor in transit' visa. If you want to stay in the UK for longer than 48 hours, you will need to apply for a visit visa.

An Immigration Officer may decide to let you pass through the UK on your way to another country without holding a visa. This is known as 'transit without visa' (TWOV). It allows you to catch a connecting flight within 24 hours or, if you are on-board a ship, to stay at a UK port for up to 24 hours.

-

This looks confusing. What it actually means that the officer at the UK airport MAY give the passenger a transit visa there and then, if they d'ont have one. Thats what happened to my Mrs at LHR - she did'nt have one - officer remarked on this - said she needed one - went away then came back and stamped her passport. We had a connecting flight to Ireland within the 24 hours of course.

"An Immigration Officer may decide to let you pass through the UK"

MAY is the operative word.

If I had to do it again I would get a transit visa for her, just to make sure she was ok.

Just my own experience.

Good luck on your journey.

Edited by spongeman

Visa nationals

If you will be staying in the UK for up to 48 hours before you continue your journey, you will need a 'visitor in transit' visa. If you want to stay in the UK for longer than 48 hours, you will need to apply for a visit visa.

An Immigration Officer may decide to let you pass through the UK on your way to another country without holding a visa. This is known as 'transit without visa' (TWOV). It allows you to catch a connecting flight within 24 hours or, if you are on-board a ship, to stay at a UK port for up to 24 hours.

-

This looks confusing. What it actually means that the officer at the UK airport MAY give the passenger a transit visa there and then, if they d'ont have one. Thats what happened to my Mrs at LHR - she did'nt have one - officer remarked on this - said she needed one - went away then came back and stamped her passport. We had a connecting flight to Ireland within the 24 hours of course.

"An Immigration Officer may decide to let you pass through the UK"

MAY is the operative word.

If I had to do it again I would get a transit visa for her, just to make sure she was ok.

Thanks Spongeman it is very helpful to hear about a real life experience.

Just my own experience.

Good luck on your journey.