Further Thoughts About Nas Boxes: D-link Dns-323 And Qnap Ts-439

Crushdepth

As mentioned elsewhere, I've been investigating network attached storage boxes lately, with a view to setting one up as a file server at work. As a result I ended up buying (for home!) a little two-drive D-Link DNS-323 NAS (B 6,000 + drives), then I saw the four-drive QNAP TS-439 (B 30,000 + drives) and well, I just had to have it. So I got that too. The D-link is a consumer-grade device with an ARM processor and 128MB RAM, the QNAP is more aimed at small business with an Atom processor, 1 gig of RAM, dual power supplies, dual gigabit ethernet and dual embedded operating systems, etc. Both use embedded Linux OS which makes them hackable.

So now I've had a bit of a play around with them I thought I'd share my impressions here.

THE GOOD

I'm really blown away by how simple and useful these little NAS boxes are and how much they do for the money. Basically you just insert some hard drives, plug in the ethernet cable and start using it. Straight out of the box you have different flavours of RAID, a file server, web + MySql servers (not the D-link), FTP server (and automated FTP download client) and media server. The QNAP also allows you to record streams from remote IP cameras out on the internet somewhere.

Administration is via a web interface. You can set up users/groups, file shares, access rights and disk quotas in a few minutes (my main interest). You can also configure your RAID, monitor drive status, logs etc. etc. The QNAP offers a lot more features than the D-link that you may or may not care about like full volume encryption, support for active directory, IP filtering and a network recycle bin to catch files that your users accidentally delete and want back. However, the D-link still offers pretty good file server functionality for a fraction of the price. A key point is that you can use these things without having detailed technical skills in a particular area (this may be a a good or bad thing depending on your point of view).

What is *really* cool however is that since both boxes use Linux OS, you can hack them. In the case of the QNAP, it 'officially' provides shell access, and package manager (QPKG) that you can use to install additional software to make your NAS do more things such as set up a mail server (XDove) etc. etc. You can also install the IPKG package manager and use that to install a wider range of Linux tools (I've added nano to the QNAP because vi was designed for space aliens). I've also installed rsnapshot, which I plan to use as the basis for a separate backup server at work.

Someone has also developed a package manager for the D-link called 'fun_plug'. This includes SSH / shell access and the ability to install additional software packages. I used this to install nano and rsnapshot on the D-link as well, and have managed to set up rotating daily/weekly/monthly scheduled backups as a pilot for trying to do the same thing on the QNAP.

THE BAD

These all-in-one boxes are still at a fairly early stage of evolution and probably try to accomplish too much. They have clearly been designed as 'appliances' with a set range of functionality in mind. Although they are hackable, they don't offer the full range of flexibility (and complexity!) of a 'real' server.

My main concern are the security issues. Frankly I think you'd have to be nuts to expose one of these NAS boxes to the internet directly (particularly serving a website). The firmware and downloadable packages tend not to be the latest and greatest versions. If a security hole is found in something it is quite likely that your box is going to carry the vulnerability for quite a while before a fix becomes available. The idea of installing an older version of Joomla (or any other CMS) fills me with dread. The only saving grace is that the OS gets reset from flash with every reboot.

If you avoid the package manager (for websites) and install your site manually, it would be better. You also need to use shell access to do things like set up key-based SSH authentication, as its not supported through the web interface.

THE UGLY - BACKUP IS MUCH HARDER THAN IT SHOULD BE

Probably the worst thing about the NAS boxes is the half-arsed support for backup. The D-link offers nothing at all (you'll have to back it up manually). The QNAP offers remote replication via rsync to another QNAP device which is a step in the right direction, but still not an acceptable backup strategy for any sane person (any screw ups in your file system will also get replicated).

This was unacceptable to me, so I've been trying to set up rsnapshot on both boxes so I can have rotating automatic backups (hourly for the last 24 hours, daily for the last 7 days, weekly for the last 4 weeks, and monthly for the last 3 months). It seems to be working on the D-link (need to let it run for a month to confirm that it all works!) and I'm nearly there with the QNAP.

Really, it would be trivial for QNAP to implement rsnapshot, since they already support rsync. I can't imagine why they haven't implemented support for snapshots on a device aimed at business users. Anyway, my conclusion is that every self-respecting geek needs at least one NAS. Sell your grandma if you have to. You Need One.

The QNAP also allows you to record streams from remote IP cameras out on the internet somewhere

does not support all IPcams - major western brands mainly.

when you bought up the subject of NAS' before I mentioned FreeNAS - http://www.freenas.org/

FreeNAS is a free NAS (Network-Attached Storage) server, supporting: CIFS (samba), FTP, NFS, AFP, RSYNC, iSCSI protocols, S.M.A.R.T., local user authentication, Software RAID (0,1,5) with a Full WEB configuration interface.

FreeNAS takes less than 32MB for version's up to 0.686.x and 32+ MB from version 0.69

Can be installed on Compact Flash, USB key, USB key or just run as LiveCD saving the configuration file on floppy or USB key .

The minimal FreeBSD distribution, Web interface, PHP scripts and documentation are based on M0n0wall.

you only need monitor , KB and mouse for install - manage by GUI later

get a mobo with 8 sata ports and onboard video, GigE - celeron processor and ram and stack it all with the hard drives you desire in a well ventilated case , boot the ISO cd.

you will end up with a much more powerful NAS than you can buy off the shelf for 1/2 to a 1/3 of the price.

-

• 3 weeks later...