Graffiti

fred2007

I often ask myself one question about graffiti (but get to that later)

As you all know, all over the world mostly big cities you find graffiti on anything, busses,trains,houses,

walls and so on. I have been to Thailand many times and now live here and I have not seen a lot of it

apart from graffiti on old buildings which were to be demolished anyway.

My question to you is what would happen to some one (if cought) who paints graffiti on a temple

or any religious buildings. I ask my wife and she said no one would ever do that, fair enough but if

some one would is there any laws or penalties? Would they send that person to jail or even a dead

penalty? Any body can come up with an answer?

Cheers

Community service?

Graffiti is normally considered vandalism, so I don't think the death penalty will be introduced. Unless people see him and bash him to death.

But Iam talking about temples not houses I always thought Thai people are very religious

and protect there religion

Al Jolson

Stop your childish spamming.

Your posts in this thread is.......exactly....... graffiti.

Exactly.

Glasgow in the 80's.

Everywhere you went there was 'Al Jolson' graffiti.

Nobody knew where it came from or who it came from.

Bit of fun then, bit of fun now.

Al Jolson

Stop your childish spamming.

Your posts in this thread is.......exactly....... graffiti.

Exactly.

Glasgow in the 80's.

Everywhere you went there was 'Al Jolson' graffiti.

Nobody knew where it came from or who it came from.

Bit of fun then, bit of fun now.

You mean, you were already born then?

:o

:D:D

If you wish to see some great examples of Thai graffiti go to www.bangkokeyes.com, its a monthly blog mostly on the bar scene but usually ends with some photos of incredible graffiti, they also have an archive and its a good place on bar scene history

If you wish to see some great examples of Thai graffiti go to www.bangkokeyes.com, its a monthly blog mostly on the bar scene but usually ends with some photos of incredible graffiti, they also have an archive and its a good place on bar scene history

whats this BNE was here I see all over bkk?, I imagine it's some sort of rap crap dj

• 2 months later...
I often ask myself one question about graffiti (but get to that later)

As you all know, all over the world mostly big cities you find graffiti on anything, busses,trains,houses,

walls and so on. I have been to Thailand many times and now live here and I have not seen a lot of it

apart from graffiti on old buildings which were to be demolished anyway.

My question to you is what would happen to some one (if cought) who paints graffiti on a temple

or any religious buildings. I ask my wife and she said no one would ever do that, fair enough but if

some one would is there any laws or penalties? Would they send that person to jail or even a dead

penalty? Any body can come up with an answer?

Cheers

If the police caught you writing on a temple they might kick your ass, especially if they are the religion of that temple hahaha. Beside temples and places of worship, any wall in Bkk is fair game. Chances are when police see you painting they will pay it no mind. If you want my advice a powerful and bold move would be to paint right outside a police station. And I forgot landmarks like the elephant building people might not liketo be painted on. But parking structures are good(goto the top and tag the outside wall).Also some store vendors might not appreciate you writing on their place of business. As for not seing much graffiti, you just need to get around more, there is tonzzz..

On the way into the village where I live (which is pretty far off the beaten track), there's a big F-U-C-K painted down a telephone pole. Interestingly, you can see it's been repainted a few times.

In answer to the OP, I don't know but I'd imagine a good hiding would be a distinct possibility.

I have seen an exponential rise in graffiti in the area of Bangkok where I live. All the fences, the walls, the crossovers, and everything seems to be a fair target. Also for the most part the words in the graffiti are engrish, not thai.

Strangely enough, just this morning walking home around 1:30AM, I watched 3 thai punk kids spray painting graffiti on the crossover walls. At least 6 or more older thais stood on looking bemused; yet true to their thai-ness they said nothing to dissuade the kids from their task.

Googling the facts about graffiti, you can quickly see the correlation in the rise of graffiti versus the social unrest of a country's people.

Interestingly enough the BNE graffiti is a world wide phenomena and not strictly a S/E asian thing. No one knows the origins, nor the original creator of either the graffiti or the stickers which seem to magically appear. (Google it yourself and see).

I guess that guy will get a good spanking and do community service...

Graffiti, or any kind of vandalism of a temple, would be considered an insult to the state religion and would no doubt carry a severe penalty.