Do You Like Songkran?

mrt273nva

Do you love Songkran?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

An offshoot of the other thread... this one is a poll. I am curious to know where everyone stands. Personally I stand in the line of fire of an ice cold bucket on a hot April day, but i guess some people don't like it.

And so is your presentation of that poll

Yes its great, a 12 yo girl got killed outside our salon this morning, face full of iced water, she lost control of motorsi, straight into an oncoming pick-up, luckily it rained an hour later and the girls blood was washed down the drain, yep, its really great!! NOT!

Yes its great, a 12 yo girl got killed outside our salon this morning, face full of iced water, she lost control of motorsi, straight into an oncoming pick-up, luckily it rained an hour later and the girls blood was washed down the drain, yep, its really great!! NOT!

Quit your moaning, its a great holiday!

Edited by LivinginKata
Insensitive remark removed

As there's not an option in the poll that suits me, I cannot vote.

I enjoy Songkran if limited to 1 day.

It would be a lot better without the stupidity such as throwing water at moving motorbikes.

that is poor etiquette on the part of the person throwing the water. it makes no sense to try and hit people on motorcycles unless you are trying to do harm or at the very least give them a scare. there are however areas where motorcyclists should avoid because of the common knowledge that everyone is a target on songkran day. it is sad that a life has been lost, but lives are lost every day because stupid people doing stupid things and songkran day is no exception.

as far as fun and excitement songkran is right up there, it is unfortunate however that it also has a death toll every year.

on a side note. Before the invention of the motor engine I am certain that Songkran deaths were much lower. It seems that most of the Songkran deaths are motor related (combined with alcohol of course).

"Yes its great, a 12 yo girl got killed outside our salon this morning, face full of iced water, she lost control of motorsi, straight into an oncoming pick-up, luckily it rained an hour later and the girls blood was washed down the drain, yep, its really great!! NOT"

after read the above quote, Songkran should be totally banned, such insanity and so sad for this girl...

how do you think her family will feel about Songkran in the future, every year when Songkran rolls around they will be reminded of her life being cut short from this absurd "festival"

it should at least be limited to one day with small water pistols not water cannons, plus anyone caught throwing ice or buckets of water should be jailed, but this will never happen,

the insanity will continue, there is nothing anyone can do, people will die and be injured in droves, what was once a sacred and respected tradition has turned into complete stupidity beyond logic and understanding...

:D I loved Songkran until about 1975 or 76 when it seemed to change from fun to mayhem.

Once it was great to be with family up country, my first was in Ubon and the second was in Bungamtao, wow great family from every place with a special dish of flaming hot something.

We would walk around the village to greet and get our heads and shoulders sprinkled with scented water and a touch of powder on our cheeks. A shot of lao and on the next house. Wonderful! :D

Now? :D

Now you dodge buckets with 1/4 kilo ice blocks prickly heat powder sometimes with chili powder water cannons that would rip the feathers off a chicken water balloons full of unknown stinking substances. Klong water from a gasoline sprayer 150psi! :o

I still love Songkran at home or at my neighbor’s house.

Stay safe and use your brain! I tried to look up the accidents in 1978 but could not find any data online.

I understand everyone’s frustrations and dislikes, in 1978 my wife and son were on a buss from lomsak and the buss crashed into a sugarcane truck the driver of the truck ran, he was never found. All 26 passengers died I spent Songkran at the temple in Petchaboon.

Quit your moaning, its a great holiday!

You read Lickey's post and your first reaction was "quit moaning"???

How sad - both you and Lickey's story.