Chiang Mai Zoo

theoldgit

We are visiting Chiang Mai next week and want to visit the zoo, I notice that there is one price for Thais and another for foreigners.

Does anybody know if resident foreigners can receive the local price with proof, such as a Thai driving licence?

This has worked for me in Bangkok and other places as I am always up for saving a few Baht, but will probably still go either way.

We are visiting Chiang Mai next week and want to visit the zoo, I notice that there is one price for Thais and another for foreigners.

Does anybody know if resident foreigners can receive the local price with proof, such as a Thai driving licence?

This has worked for me in Bangkok and other places as I am always up for saving a few Baht, but will probably still go either way.

Yes - worked for me - just show your Thai license

Yes - worked for me - just show your Thai license

Ditto. Works every time.

I didn't need proof last time I went, just spoke enough Thai and handed over enough money for a local's ticket for me and my son. Certainly any other proof you have won't hurt.

Have in the past called this the worst zoo I ever have been to. Swore it off for 3+ yrs now, but am ready to give it another try just to see the aquarium with the native fishes on display. But as I understand it, you still pay extra for aquarium, and then an extra arm n leg for the pandas. Unique concept: a pay as you go zoo.... after paying to get in!

Have in the past called this the worst zoo I ever have been to. Swore it off for 3+ yrs now, but am ready to give it another try just to see the aquarium with the native fishes on display. But as I understand it, you still pay extra for aquarium, and then an extra arm n leg for the pandas. Unique concept: a pay as you go zoo.... after paying to get in!

Tuk Tuk drivers are still handing out the free coupons for the aquarium. Funny thing was, last time I went to the zoo they didn't even ask for coupons or ask us to pay to get in to the aquarium. It was free for everybody.

I don't mind double pricing. I think the zoo is good value and I've taken many people there. It's a fun day for the family. The only thing I smile about is Thais don't like to walk very far and it IS a good walk around the zoo if you want to see all the exibits. The vast majority of Thais live on very little money and there's nothing left over for entertainment. They can't afford the luxuries that visitors can. Operating a viable zoo costs money and it has to come from somewhere.

Ian_Veu_1.sized.jpg

zoo_056.sized.jpg

zoo_103.sized.jpg

White_tiger_1.sized.jpg

Lili_Singkrut_8.sized.jpg

Lili_Singkrut_6.sized.jpg

I don't mind double pricing. I think the zoo is good value and I've taken many people there. It's a fun day for the family. The only thing I smile about is Thais don't like to walk very far and it IS a good walk around the zoo if you want to see all the exibits. The vast majority of Thais live on very little money and there's nothing left over for entertainment. They can't afford the luxuries that visitors can. Operating a viable zoo costs money and it has to come from somewhere.

you say you don't mind the racist attitude of thai ???

Ditto......

The Thais can't afford it so make the foreigners pay for it. what rubbish. I saw from another post you only live here six months out of the year anyway....so maybe that's why you don't mind. I have a friend that has the same attitude and spends about the same amount of time here......his attitude is what screws it up for those of us living here full time.

Beachbunny

I was there yesterday for the first time in around 4 years and the improvements to the zoo and the animal enclosures are tremendous. I could hardly recognize the place from the first time.

My girlfriend paid the entrance fee, I showed my drivers license and the cashier motioned as if she was not interested. The signs said adult 100 baht and 50 baht for a child and I took this as the rate for everybody, however she told me we paid only 50 baht per person (there were 5 of us), so presumably there is double pricing but it is not obvious.

The only thing I was surprised at was the fee for the aquarium which looked like it 500 odd baht per person....pricey. Maybe that was farang price I don't know for sure. Needless to say we didn't pay a visit.

100 baht or 50 baht either way it was great value and a great day out. I don't like double pricing either but 50 baht is small amount compared to the overall excellent experience.

Ditto......

The Thais can't afford it so make the foreigners pay for it. what rubbish. I saw from another post you only live here six months out of the year anyway....so maybe that's why you don't mind. I have a friend that has the same attitude and spends about the same amount of time here......his attitude is what screws it up for those of us living here full time.

Beachbunny

You say you live in Thailand full time and someone says just show a license to prove you are a resident and get the Thai rate. Which is it? If I go fishing in another province or go fishing in the United States then I have to pay a bigger fee than a resident. If a foreigner comes to fish in BC then they have to pay almost double what I pay for a license. That is pretty much the same thing.

It is pretty cheap for a foreigner to visit the Chiang Mai zoo. What is it... 400 baht? That's not even a couple of dollars. Try going to a New York zoo or a London zoo for that price. It's about one third what I would pay to go to a movie at home. I took a whole family of 6 Thais to a National park and it cost me 600 baht for them and 200 baht for me. I was happy to help them out because they can't afford a day like that. Hey, and I'm just an old pensioner who has to live on set income.

400.00 THB = 13.8763 CAD

Thailand Baht Canada Dollars

1 THB = 0.0346908 CAD 1 CAD = 28.8261 THB

You are right. I am wrong. I just hit an extra zero. I'm still a bit jet lagged. I still think it's a good deal though.

My girlfriend paid the entrance fee, I showed my drivers license and the cashier motioned as if she was not interested. The signs said adult 100 baht and 50 baht for a child and I took this as the rate for everybody, however she told me we paid only 50 baht per person (there were 5 of us), so presumably there is double pricing but it is not obvious.

It's not obvious because the signs in English list the price in Arabic numerals; and right next to that is the Thai sign, with prices in Thai script. And if you can read numbers in Thai script, you can see what the price difference is. If you can't read Thai and Thai numbers, then you really would have no idea that there is a price difference--quite a considerate move on behalf of the zoo management, who clearly don't want farang to feel the sting of the double pricing. I guess they are looking out for our feelings?

IanForbes - why do you feel you have to pay for an entire family's entrance fee to a National park when it is not even your family? If a foreigner came to visit you in Canada would you expect him/her to pay the entrance fee to a Canadian National Park for your entire family?

I've been to two National Parks in Thailand with two different Thai families. Both times I paid my way and they paid theirs.

Just because you and I and others here come from countries where the average person earns more money (and where there is a higher cost of living) than a Thai does, does not mean that we are obligated to pay their way for everything. I don't understand farang in Thailand to feel that they have to pay for all the Thai's and can then justify it by saying that "it was not much in Canadian Dollars", or in Euros, or whatever.

IanForbes - why do you feel you have to pay for an entire family's entrance fee to a National park when it is not even your family? If a foreigner came to visit you in Canada would you expect him/her to pay the entrance fee to a Canadian National Park for your entire family?

I've been to two National Parks in Thailand with two different Thai families. Both times I paid my way and they paid theirs.

Just because you and I and others here come from countries where the average person earns more money (and where there is a higher cost of living) than a Thai does, does not mean that we are obligated to pay their way for everything. I don't understand farang in Thailand to feel that they have to pay for all the Thai's and can then justify it by saying that "it was not much in Canadian Dollars", or in Euros, or whatever.

I think it is different many times with the standard Thai belief that the richest or most important will pay for guests

Ditto......

Beachbunny

He is only here six months a year?.. Maybe since you are here 12 months, there is a suggestion that maybe your attitude has twice the influence on life here. :o

It is pretty cheap for a foreigner to visit the Chiang Mai zoo. What is it... 400 baht? That's not even a couple of dollars. It's about one third what I would pay to go to a movie at home.

It is about $11 dollars U.S.. San Francisco Zoo is 15 dollars for an adult, but you get a lot more for your money. I have not been home for quite a while, but I can not believe that that a movie ticket is over $30 dollars. unsure.gif - at least I hope not.

It is pretty cheap for a foreigner to visit the Chiang Mai zoo. What is it... 400 baht? That's not even a couple of dollars. It's about one third what I would pay to go to a movie at home.

It is about $11 dollars U.S.. San Francisco Zoo is 15 dollars for an adult, but you get a lot more for your money. I have not been home for quite a while, but I can not believe that that a movie ticket is over $30 dollars. unsure.gif - at least I hope not.

I hope not, too. The last movie price I remember in San Francisco was about $5.50 :o

There is no way that is possible, $15 max. I hate double pricing too, just for the record.

It's not obvious because the signs in English list the price in Arabic numerals; and right next to that is the Thai sign, with prices in Thai script. And if you can read numbers in Thai script, you can see what the price difference is. If you can't read Thai and Thai numbers, then you really would have no idea that there is a price difference--quite a considerate move on behalf of the zoo management, who clearly don't want farang to feel the sting of the double pricing. I guess they are looking out for our feelings?

Typically Thai a little bit cute and and a little bit sneaky but the ultimate result is just plain stupid. I didn't mind paying 100 baht having been there and seen the zoo but knowing now how they promoted this price at the ticket office takes the shine off. But like I said this is the Thai way ..........nothing really appears as it is. They really do themselves a disservice by trying to disguise the true cost. land of smiles..........yes.............. but land of scams too. :o

Well, sorry but even big international chains pull the Thai numerals scheme. Why do you suppose that big banner on the side of the Chiang Mai Best Western Hotel reads:

and not a regular number that seems perfectly fine to price things like noodles and water melons.

Well, sorry but even big international chains pull the Thai numerals scheme. Why do you suppose that big banner on the side of the Chiang Mai Best Western Hotel reads:

and not a regular number that seems perfectly fine to price things like noodles and water melons.

Good point, Winnie. I always wondered about that advertising. As far as scams go, the Philippines is 20 times as bad as Thailand. Everything is a scam in the Philippines and you can't trust anyone. I finally just stopped going there for just that reason (even though everyone does speak English). Yah just have to be aware of locals trying to make a few extra dollars off tourists and get a little experience under your belt when in foreign countries. It's like the taxi scammers in the Bangkok airport that offer a 600 baht rides into town when a meter taxi will take you there for 200. 600 baht might be reasonable in London or New York, but not in Thailand.

In my original post I had a brain fart and typed 400 instead of 40. Even that was wrong because I think it is 50 baht for locals and 100 baht for foreigners. When I invite someone to go with me somewhere I always pick up the tab. I don't want to look like a cheapskate (Cheap Charlie in Thailand). That is especially the case when I bring a Thai girlfriend somewhere... even if her family troops along. If I feel I'm being scammed then I just chalk it up to another experience and don't do it again. It always costs a few extra dollars to learn valuable lessons about life. If you learn from your lessons it makes it far cheaper in the long run.

I once got scammed for a tuktuk ride, down in Songkla I believe. Well After I realized what happened, I made the driver's life hel_l by turning it into a Thai lesson. All in all 20 minutes of "A nee ree-ahk ah-lie khap?" (what is this?) was a great deal for the both of us. He got enough $ for a night of drinking, I got a larger vocabulary and every one left in smiles.

When I invite someone to go with me somewhere I always pick up the tab. I don't want to look like a cheapskate (Cheap Charlie in Thailand). That is especially the case when I bring a Thai girlfriend somewhere... even if her family troops along.

If you invite, you are generally expected to pick up the tab.

Outside of farang/bargirl circles the phrase 'cheap charlie' is not really known to the general Thai public. You may be called kiiniaow (sticky <deleted>) if you are stingy, or kiinok (bird <deleted>) if you look like a dirty farang with few financial resources.

Edited by Loaded