No More Songkran In Pattaya

george

No more Songkran in Pattaya

PATTAYA: -- Songkran celebrations in Pattaya will not be much fun this year because Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has declared a state of emergency in Chon Buri province, which prohibits any gatherings of five or more people, the resort city's mayor Itthipon Khunpleum said Saturday.

The resort city, where the Asean summits are taking place, has had to cancel many events prepared for the water festival, which in Pattaya runs from April 9 to today, he said.

The cancellations might translate into losses of Bt70 million per day, he added.

More than 4,000 members of the American Navy, who were scheduled to dock in Pattaya this week, have already cancelled, the mayor said.

The state of emergency, declared to control the situation after the red-shirt protesters broke into the summit venue, made Songkran in Pattaya a very quiet one, he said.

Some 10 people were injured in a clash between the red-clad protesters and the government-sponsored security men in blue yesterday morning. Now, the protesters are accusing the government of using force against them

The mayor added that the special Songkran events planned in Pattaya for April 19 would also be affected by the incident and the state of emergency.

-- The Nation 2009-04-11

if true and if they stick to it...the best of all possible outcomes...ASEAN summit sh!t-canned (security hassles and disruptive crowds to soon disburse back to Bangers); Navy visit canceled (more baht-starved ladies in the bars and fewer "hansome" men around); and Sonkgran CANCELLED. Whoopee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o:D:D

A final beneficial outcome is that maybe some of the young Red-Shirt Issan lasses down here for the protests will see the bright lights of the City and give up farming for more remunerative employment possibilities in Patters :D

if true and if they stick to it...the best of all possible outcomes...ASEAN summit sh!t-canned (security hassles and disruptive crowds to soon disburse back to Bangers); Navy visit canceled (more baht-starved ladies in the bars and fewer "hansome" men around); and Sonkgran CANCELLED. Whoopee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o:D:D

A final beneficial outcome is that maybe some of the young Red-Shirt Issan lasses down here for the protests will see the bright lights of the City and give up farming for more remunerative employment possibilities in Patters :D

yes but will there be any punters to service them?you ex pats in pattaya would n't have the stamina or the cash :D

PATTAYA: -- Songkran celebrations in Pattaya will not be much fun this year because Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has declared a state of emergency in Chon Buri province, which prohibits any gatherings of five or more people, the resort city's mayor Itthipon Khunpleum said Saturday.

The resort city, where the Asean summits are taking place, has had to cancel many events prepared for the water festival, which in Pattaya runs from April 9 to today, he said.

-- The Nation 2009-04-11

What are they on about? Since when did Songkran start on the 9th??

Surely the 'state of emergency' will be withdrawn before Sonkran does actually start on the 13th, so won't have any effect whatsoever.

Is this a lame attempt to curry public favour - 'no Songkran for you because of those naughty redshirts'

<snip>

Some 10 people were injured in a clash between the red-clad protesters and the government-sponsored security men in blue yesterday morning. Now, the protesters are accusing the government of using force against them

<snip>

-- The Nation 2009-04-11

Aha! Earlier reports (in The Nation) either didn't say who the Blue Shirts were or said they were local residents.

Although I still have very little trust in anything The Nation reports. They're in the bag for Sondhi and the PAD and have frequently slanted their "news" stories. Their editorials are shameless. But I keep thinking of the Reichstag Fire. This incident seems like it was set up to give the Army justification for imposing martial law. I expect other events to follow which will justify imposing martial law on the whole country. :o

I am 100% in agreement with you, and like your thinking! However, if Mayor Ittipon thinks Songkran in his own city runs from April 9 to today, he knows even less about the place, and running it, than was previously thought. Give a boy a mans job eh?

Do you really think that The Thai people will allow a little thing like a stae of emergency stop their Songkran fun? Dream on. There will be groups of more than five out throwing water for sure.

I am 100% in agreement with you, and like your thinking! However, if Mayor Ittipon thinks Songkran in his own city runs from April 9 to today, he knows even less about the place, and running it, than was previously thought. Give a boy a mans job eh?

State of Emergency will likely be withdrawn in a couple days after the Reds disburse back to Bangers and Issan (at least in Pattaya) so Songkran will be back on but getting rid of 2 out o3 still isn't bad.

What's really amazing about the whole thing is that the hi-so's who own the Royal Cliff (and from what I understand, some of the ownership goes all the way up to the very top of Thai society if you get my meaning) couldn't call on their friends and relatives in the security services to protect their property (and future reputation for MICE type business). Truly amazing!

State of Emergency will likely be withdrawn in a couple days after the Reds disburse back to Bangers and Issan (at least in Pattaya) so Songkran will be back on but getting rid of 2 out o3 still isn't bad.

What's really amazing about the whole thing is that the hi-so's who own the Royal Cliff (and from what I understand, some of the ownership goes all the way up to the very top of Thai society if you get my meaning) couldn't call on their friends and relatives in the security services to protect their property (and future reputation for MICE type business). Truly amazing!

Nearly correct Mr Doe - However the state of excentricity was called of before the soldiers could fasten their boots, Truly, truly amazing!

I don't see how there would be any way to stop Songkran in Pattaya, maybe if you send the entire Thai army there to enforce it, but I don't that would even work... There are just too many farlang and Thai's that enjoy it, it would be like trying to cancel Christmas... but it should be limited to one day (wishful thinking on my part)

Certainly a hidden benefit - but can they find their way to the Darkside ? :o

The cancellations might translate into losses of Bt70 million per day, he added.

More than 4,000 members of the American Navy, who were scheduled to dock in Pattaya this week, have already cancelled, the mayor said.

The state of emergency, declared to control the situation after the red-shirt protesters broke into the summit venue, made Songkran in Pattaya a very quiet one, he said.

The mayor added that the special Songkran events planned in Pattaya for April 19 would also be affected by the incident and the state of emergency.

-- The Nation 2009-04-11

That funny as the navy have been here all week and I got soaked in soi 7 last night 2 days ahead of schedule

There are just too many farlang and Thai's that enjoy it, it would be like trying to cancel Christmas..

But what we have now is the equivilant to extending Xmas day to 8 days long.

Could you imagine being stuck in the house with relatives for 8 days, buying 8 days of needless gifts and having to bite your lip for 8 days with the irritating cousin/uncle/aunt, watching the same repeats on TV everyday for 8 days? and then this followed by the Xmas to New Year week where youve another 7 days doing the same thing.

Edited by sanmiguel

There are just too many farlang and Thai's that enjoy it, it would be like trying to cancel Christmas..

Could you imagine being stuck in the house with relatives for 8 days, buying 8 days of needless gifts and having to bite your lip for 8 days with the irritating cousin/uncle/aunt, watching the same repeats on TV everyday for 8 days? and then this followed by the Xmas to New Year week where youve another 7 days doing the same thing.

Good point you make about the Christmas analogy.

It’s a rhetorical question, but why the authorities allow Pattaya to have 8 days of Songkran? I have just come back the village, where just as much was had, but without the menace!

Problem is that if you say anyhting bad about Songkran you are accused of being a miserable old sod, just like in the US if you say anything bad about Barak Hussein Obama, you are called a racist.

Used to be a problem. Then I got myself an AK47 on eBay and the rest, as they say, are history.

I just wrapped up my second and final day of Songkran celebrations up in the heartland of the great unwashed... they aint unwashed anymore! I skipped Monday as I was flying in from Scotland. Tuesday saw the pickup loaded up and we visited two local temples which involved feeding fish at one and propping up precariously balanced rocks at another. Very cultural, very respectful and loads of fun. This along with thousands of other Isaanites. In between, we flung water at people flinging water at us, ate some tasty noodles at a roadside restaurant and generally had a blast. Day two was a late morning trip to Nongkhai where half the Udon population had the same idea and after driving around dispensing water to all and sundry, we had a slap up feed for 10 at a restaurant by the Mekhong for 1400 baht. Got back to Udon around 5pm and after changing into dry clothes, me, my wife and son visited upon the 2 oldest people in the village and washed their feet. Then did the same for the puyai who blessed our house and wedding as well as fixing up some medicine for my son's affliction. After that, we went and fed the fish at the local lake. All very, very rewarding, safe and fun. It was great to see the smiles on kids faces and their laughter.

It's now Thursday and it's over for another year. Maybe the Pattaya City fathers should rethink their strategy that allows this quaint national holiday to be abused by ignorance and greed.

It's now Thursday and it's over for another year. Maybe the Pattaya City fathers should rethink their strategy that allows this quaint national holiday to be abused by ignorance and greed.

Sounds like my cup of tea what youve done well some of it.

Thing is they arent profitting from the majority on this thread as we all seem to do what we can to avoid it.

The Songkran Enlightenment Experiment

I have a proposal that I believe would be instructional in highlighting the difference between the original Songkran from a few hundred years ago and its current incarnation in Pattaya.

Five avid Thai Songkran revelers from Pattaya would be selected for an all expense paid trip to New York City for the Christmas and New Years Holidays.

They would be wined and dined and visit all the normal attractions that any tourist would want to see.

The only requirement of the Thais would be -- for four days leading up to New Years Day, they would be required to take a bucket of sewer water and walk up to any unsuspecting New Yorker and throw it in their face.

The result would be video-taped from three different angles.

The raw footage would be edited down to a succinct synopsis of all the fun the Thais had in New York, and interspersed with footage of the old Songkran experience as it was originally intended.

The resulting video would be required to be shown nationally several times on Thai TV and free copies of it would be made available for download for those who want to enhance their video libraries for posterity.

Any takers? :o

Cancelling Songkran would improve the local economy, not cause a loss.

Apart from strategically placed beer bars where drunken louts hang out to throw water all week, most other business either close up for the week, or suffer a downturn in profits until the mayhem stops.

Which other businesses profit from Songkran?