Moving To Pattaya

Looks like I will be in Pattaya for a while. I'm looking for a place for the missus and the newborn, someplace quiet and not by the bar scene. Pattaya is not my favorite place, but I may have a job there for a while. Any ideas in varying price ranges? Any advice about the city? May only be there for 2 months, but maybe a longer, don't know yet. Also, I may be looking for a cheap car. Should I try looking in Pattaya in BKK? What can I expect? Thanks

Edited by drummer

Well, if you are only going to be there for 2 months, you might want to try Jomtien and rent a condo...Jomtien is a little more "normal" and a stones' throw away from Pattaya....If it is a house you want, maybe try eastern side of Pattaya . thide of the sukhumvit road...but on such a short rental period it might be hard...Good Luck :D

If you are a real drummer, we are llooking for one for jam sessions, so drop us a mail... :o

Looks like I will be in Pattaya for a while.  I'm looking for a place for the missus and the newborn,  someplace quiet and not by the bar scene.  Pattaya is not my favorite place,  but I may have a job there for a while.  Any ideas in varying price ranges?  Any advice about the city?  May only be there for 2 months,  but maybe a longer, don't know yet.  Also,  I may be looking for a cheap car.  Should I try looking in Pattaya in BKK?  What can I expect?    Thanks

2 month rental on a house is near impossible except for one compund out by the resevoir from what I can tell, but its very high end and looks to be very well run. Everytime I have driven past, there's two gardeners out the front sweeping leaves and dirt of the street OUTSIDE the compound :o . 3 bedroom places go for around 40,000 month short term without private pool up to 140,000 for large place with 5 bedrooms, study, pool etc etc according to their adverts. Looks very secure, the only place I have ever seen in Pattaya where they keep the entrance gates to the compound closed all the time and security open them up. I had a look but really just being nosy. Staff speak Good English though. They advertise a lot in Pattaya newspapers - place was called Laurel Village or something like that.

Otherwise your looking at serviced apartments and there are not many in Pattaya.

Looks like I will be in Pattaya for a while.  I'm looking for a place for the missus and the newborn,  someplace quiet and not by the bar scene.  Pattaya is not my favorite place,  but I may have a job there for a while.  Any ideas in varying price ranges?  Any advice about the city?  May only be there for 2 months,  but maybe a longer, don't know yet.  Also,  I may be looking for a cheap car.  Should I try looking in Pattaya in BKK?  What can I expect?    Thanks

Try browsing the pattayamail.com and thepattayatoday.com classifies for short term rentals and second hand cars,east pattaya is much more quiet.

I have a place out by the Mabrachan lake about 5 miles outside pattaya

3 bdrm nice yard 10 meters from the community pool. I would need to know something about you as i don't need the headaches for two months. I would throw in a moped at no charge. I have someone in it at presnt for a couple more months. They are the first ones who have actually lived in it since new other than me for about a month. send me a pm if you wish. The price is about half what digger is saying. I don't need the cash and would like to have a responsible person in it long term.

I know of a two bedroom house for rent in Jontiem on the bus root Royal Park Esatate, it is on the corner of Teppasit and Thrapraya rd, I dont know the cost but there was two different houses for rent just a couple of days ago.

3 bdrm nice yard 10 meters from the community pool. I would need to know something about you as i don't need the headaches for two months. I would throw in a moped at no charge.  I have someone in it at presnt for a couple more months. They are the first ones who have actually lived in it since new other than me for about a month. send me a pm if you wish. The price is about half what digger is saying. I don't need the cash and would like to have a responsible person in it long term.

That is my experience - other than bigger property businesses, difficult to find a short term let (less than 6 months-1 year) because the potential hassle outweighs the small return. And its invariably the case that as soon as you let it short term, along comes someone wanting 1 year and wanting to move in yesterday :o

The place I saw was way better than anything else I have ever seen around the resevoir but its charging accordingly. According to the Thai guy I spoke to, he said most of the residents were having the bill paid by their employer, which would rule me out at those rates....

Everyone where I have a place is privately owned and many are retired with wife.

A few still work such as me. There is a area next door that are spanish style villas that do run twice as much but finding someone in the pattaya area that a company pays the rent is probably 1 in 10,000. You see alot of high end adverts in the papers and real estate agents for that reason, they will never rent at the price they list unless it is a group. The only ones that will rent at those prices are short term holiday makers more than one couple share the place most the time then. I have someone in the place that rented for 3 months and have suggested they may rent longer. They have rented the house next door for 3 years. I am single and thought it was a good price for the quality. Retiring soon I hope, I may sell and get a condo in town. Either way I have a place to store my stuff and it is completely furnished

to include laundry room, kitchen, bdrms and living room with cable paid for the year. After hotels for 15 years I now can leave stuff behind in my own place.

I guess half dozen of one and 6 of the other. It is quiet and private so my little corner of asia finally.

3 bdrm nice yard 10 meters from the community pool. I would need to know something about you as i don't need the headaches for two months. I would throw in a moped at no charge.  I have someone in it at presnt for a couple more months. They are the first ones who have actually lived in it since new other than me for about a month. send me a pm if you wish. The price is about half what digger is saying. I don't need the cash and would like to have a responsible person in it long term.

That is my experience - other than bigger property businesses, difficult to find a short term let (less than 6 months-1 year) because the potential hassle outweighs the small return. And its invariably the case that as soon as you let it short term, along comes someone wanting 1 year and wanting to move in yesterday :o

The place I saw was way better than anything else I have ever seen around the resevoir but its charging accordingly. According to the Thai guy I spoke to, he said most of the residents were having the bill paid by their employer, which would rule me out at those rates....

drummer,

Since you have not specified where you will be working which brings up your daily commute as well as what the wifes wants and needs may be(if she ain't happy, u ain't happy), there are several areas that would be conducive to a married couple with a baby. The places you might want to stay away from are anywhere in Pattaya between North Road and South Road which encompasses most of the city proper. The other area we have experienced and would not go back to is the Jomtien area, too much activity and not all of it is good. The areas that you might consider are Naklua and Banglamung to the north and Najomtien and south.

As was stated in the previous replys, getting something for short term will be your biggest obstacle.

For a car, you might want to contact Expat Motors at http://www.expatmotors.co.th/

They seem to have the expat in mind and can smooth the path for getting a used car.

All the best and above all have fun and keep smilin' :o

telephone barry on 099327965. Accom, pool and car thrown in.Mai pang. :o

I'd wholeheartedly agree with that. I toured Barry's palatial oasis (opp Fly Now Suk) just up the soi but felt like miles away. Could here a pin drop. Nice setting, great place, big kitchens, HUGE bathrooms and the pool area's perfect. I dunno but I'd bet Barry would give a great rate on month to month.

Also agree on Expat Motors. Pal from Canada recently bought a truck from Andy and he's a happy camper.

Also some listings of both accomodation & autos here as well: http://www.bahtsold.com/bs_view_ads.php

good luck!

Edited by bahtandsold